• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

One team I can see them bringing back is the Secret Agent Team from XI. Mary, Vanessa, and Seth to replace Ramon. As for crazy out of place characters? Kizuna Encounter team. Hayate, Kim Su Il, and Rosa. Other than that, I can't think of whole teams I want to see. I really wish that rumor of adding a character of each team panned out. I would love that (aside from some of the weird choices like older Bao for the Psycho Soldier team and "Lee" for Another World team (should be Akari from Last Blade), I think it would've been great.

Honestly I have no idea how they're going to make XV. XIV is already packed as it is. Question for those who've played Story Mode. Without giving too much away (a yes or no will do) do they hint at more time and space shenanigans? Can Verse really pull fighters from other times and worlds like originally speculated here? I mostly want to know if it's worth hoping for another Another World team.

Yeah, they really have set the bar high as far as character selection is concerned. Wonder what their plans for XV actually are.

Have they said anything specific about DLC characters/teams? The fact that they already have so many in the base game leads me to believe they have a pretty efficient production line and are probably planning at least a few additions as a result.

I really hope my copy arrives tomorrow...

Zerojul

Way behind the rest of you, but my Japanese copy arrived today. Nice surprise to see it has an awesome reversible cover!

03fPljPl.jpg

The art book for Japan is the same size as the disc case, so it's a little small... but it's very high quality and has a nice embossed KOF and SNK logo on the front and back. They really produced a lot of art for this game!
Glad I went with Japanese version myself :)

Kain

Just a little thing, the title should be "Viva el Rey de los dinosaurios". Now it just sounds wrong. Just sayin'

Yokai

I don't think I'd hop on this game at this price point.

However, I actually kind of hope they get a second chance (I guess technically third chance?) at this 2.5d KoF. I think the quality of the art improved as the game went further into production and it would be interesting to see how many of these ex sf4 staff members handle the evolution of the games mechanics over time.

Right now, the art and the net code are the games two biggest problems. It seems like the game play is what one would expect, if not more user friendly than past KoF games.

Relique

has it been confirmed that online has sync glitches?

Really want the netcode to be stable this time.

All indications are that yeah there is a nasty bug with party and ranked modes. Every report of the party mode has praised the netcode and SNK themselves admitted to the sync issue in the single player modes.

It is a really unfortunate situation because early word of mouth can really hurt a game like this but hopefully the patch will come quick enough that the game's reputation can be salvaged. As fans we gotta do what we can to promote the game. If they get around to this quickly I pledged to buy another copy for myself and donate another to a friend... so here's hoping.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Random Observations:

Antonov has 2 target combos! HK-HP and HK-HK. Neither is cancellable (even by MAX activation), but they do solid damage, and the K one causes special spin-out knockdown.

Antonov's CD also has start-up Guard Point.

Tung and Chin both have cancellable far Cs. Tung's can even be cancelled into his command normal at just-a-bit-closer than max range.

I love how basically every comboable special move has a unique alt saying / different line when you do a 3-or-4 hit combo into it. It's a very nice piece of sonic flair that makes things sound much more interesting. There's a LOT of special soundwork in the game, such as instruments playing during Mian's attacks and Ranbu SDM, the sound of traditional Japanese instruments during Main's "Nippon Ichi!" pose, or all the lines that characters speak out of a DS4 when they take heavy damage (Has to laugh at Geese's "YOU BASTARD!", heh.)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Netcode Patch is on its way:

From MMCafe:
We have discovered the reason behind the connection slowdowns that are happening under specific conditions.

Currently we are working on a fix with which we hope to submit as early as possible next week.

Party VS is working without problems.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Man, I'm not even close to finding a main team, even just for casual online play. There's soooo many people I want to play that I've barely even touched, let alone learned their BnB's. Even characters I didn't care for in previous games are really catching my interest now.

shaowebb

Man Zarina is just a pressure machine. Plus she has moves to use in block string that march her away from folks too. Gonna really enjoy using her to smother people.

Seriously, that's like.... all we ask for companies to do when we give them our money.

This is why I never buy fighters day 1. Same story, history repeats itself.

Hype and lots of fan-threads and talk pre-release, "oh that costume is so cute" "I'm gonna pick" "plays great" etc. Then dead community 2 months later and online matches are garbage.

GooeyHeat

So far my experiences with this game have been really good. I love it, KOF is here again.

Interestingly, I've had a lot of pretty good online matches. The main problem I've had is that sometimes in ranked the game will tell me that the connection is 4 bars and then run in slow-motion; I suspect that the game is setting the input delay too low because the game thinks the connection is perfect. I get a feeling the fix will be a minimum delay on online matches; I'd love to have that be able to be set manually, like you could in the Steam version of KOF98UM. Online matches with less-than-perfect connections have been as good as I can expect; the delay was consistent through the whole match and inputs don't get dropped. When that bug is fixed it'll definitely be worth playing this game online.

I'm really happy with a lot of the game's new characters, both in gameplay and in general design. I hope Antonov sticks around in the series, he's really entertaining.

BadWolf

Tried party battle quickly and ended up playing for about an hour, really fun and I like how they arranged it so players and player orders are constantly shuffled. Gave me flashbacks to playing 2002 party battles on winkawaks/mame back in the day.

The play wasn't smooth but playable, which was surprising considering four of us had 1 bar connections (myself included) and two had 4-5 bars. I was able to pull off the Zarina EX combo I was practicing quite a few times, even more satisfying knowing that 5 other people were watching hehe. The Ramon player was going all El Rosa on people's asses and doing them combos (luckily I was on his team every time).

It does seem to be on a connection basis per character/player because against one particular player (and only him) the game almost froze on round start up and then played on but the match with him was pretty laggy. After I took him out it became better again when the next player's character jumped in.

Did decently with Zarina but was of course just completely confuzled with her game plan and her jump feels extra floaty. Eventually switched to Terry and did a reverse OCV for the team, landed lots of super cancel combos and an advanced cancel.

Considering how bad our connections were to each other it was decently playable and we were all doing max combos too.

Her V-slasher lost invincibility unless you use 2 meters so you can't scumbag with that move like in previous games. I think anchor Leona is going to be great. Just pop max mode and throw bakudans and just go in. They can try to run under it since she throws it high, but grand sabre can keep them in check and you should be safe if they block it. Bakudans also put them in a juggle state, so whenever one lands you can always do something, of course unless they get hit by it full screen away from you but that only happens if they screwed up or something. Though bakudans against Choi you have to be careful, since he is a midget it probably will miss him even if he is standing still.

Yeah it got nerfed but the same is true for other characters as well, many have lost invincibility on regular and EX supers. I'm guessing it's to balance being able to advanced cancel and max cancel outside of max activation. Leona in particular benefits heavily from these, especially when combined with the bomb pressure etc. like you mentioned.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
OMG!!! at the Team Official Invitation ending.
<3

Also, Kukri has to chill a bit.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How's the story mode here?

Is it at least interesting?

It's pretty shallow, barely much of an allusion to an overarching premise beyond the entrants being invited to a new tournament by Antonov(whom is a goofy doofus that is somewhat enjoyable). No real conspiracies like Nests or Orochi until literally the final boss which is barely explained and comes literally out of nowhere.

That said, the endings I have seen are Tekken-like in their absurdity, but sadly have no voice acting and are a series of high-res stills with quirky character moments for your chosen team. There are slight dialogue moments for certain character matchups between the occasional round that give basic insight into their relationships, but its usually just silly banter.

Biggest problem is that there are 10 rounds and unlocking endings can take a good deal of time when you have to down 3 characters per round(outside of the final bosses). Kind of wish there were about half the number of battles to tackle. I think it took 45m+ just to go through the story mode once.

kunonabi

Spent all yesterday with Daimon in training mode. He can do some really solid damage with little meter especially in the corner although he doesn't seem to benefit greatly from using all 5 bars at the moment but 2-4 bars seems pretty strong for him. I'll need to see how smarter players maximize his damage to be sure though. He combos a lot easier than he used to and all his moves seem to serve a purpose this time around and I love how he can keep you in the corner now with his otg super. It's looking like he'll be may second character at this point. I usually have Leona on point so hopefully she isn't too meter dependent in this.

I spent some time with the rest of the cast and man Mature feels so smooth in this and she hits like a goddamn truck.

Spent all yesterday with Daimon in training mode. He can do some really solid damage with little meter especially in the corner although he doesn't seem to benefit greatly from using all 5 bars at the moment but 2-4 bars seems pretty strong for him. I'll need to see how smarter players maximize his damage to be sure though. He combos a lot easier than he used to and all his moves seem to serve a purpose this time around and I love how he can keep you in the corner now with his otg super. It's looking like he'll be may second character at this point. I usually have Leona on point so hopefully she isn't too meter dependent in this.

I spent some time with the rest of the cast and man Mature feels so smooth in this and she hits like a goddamn truck.

Speaking of Daimon I was checking him out the other day and I noticed that he can OTG you even if you attempt a quick rise, the timing is just tight kinda like for KoD. So even though j.CD no longer causes a hard knockdown, you can still go into hcf+C after that, it's just harder.

Frames vulnerable to OTG even on quick rise are most likely a universal thing, it's just a matter of being able to take advantage of it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Nope, you don't need to be in max mode to advanced cancel or climax cancel.

Ahh cool, just need the specific amount of meters then.

But the mode also reduces the meter requirement for sdm and climax yes, like in XIII?

kunonabi

Speaking of Daimon I was checking him out the other day and I noticed that he can OTG you even if you attempt a quick rise, the timing is just tight kinda like for KoD. So even though j.CD no longer causes a hard knockdown, you can still go into hcf+C after that, it's just harder.

Frames vulnerable to OTG even on quick rise are most likely a universal thing, it's just a matter of being able to take advantage of it.

That's very good to know. I was worried that stuff would just end up being useless in actual play.

BadWolf

Ahh cool, just need the specific amount of meters then.

But the mode also reduces the meter requirement for sdm and climax yes, like in XIII?

It doesn't reduce the meter cost but the max activation counts as one bar. So as long as you are in max mode an EX super will cost 1 bar and a Climax super will cost 2 bars. In the end they still cost 2 and 3 bars like normal when you take into account the bar you used to activate max mode. While in max mode you can't do a level 1 super.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It doesn't reduce the meter cost but the max activation counts as one bar. So as long as you are in max mode an EX super will cost 1 bar and a Climax super will cost 2 bars. In the endsthey still cost 2 and 3 bars like normal when you take into account the bar you used to activate max mode. While in max mode you can't do a level 1 super.
performing supers or climax won't "eat" chunk of the time right?

However, I actually kind of hope they get a second chance (I guess technically third chance?) at this 2.5d KoF. I think the quality of the art improved as the game went further into production and it would be interesting to see how many of these ex sf4 staff members handle the evolution of the games mechanics over time.

Right now, the art and the net code are the games two biggest problems. It seems like the game play is what one would expect, if not more user friendly than past KoF games.

I didn't know some exsf4 staff was working on this. I noticed it seemed alot like it in some respects. I just wish the character faces were better.

BadWolf

I didn't know some exsf4 staff was working on this. I noticed it seemed alot like it in some respects. I just wish the character faces were better.

The ex SF4 staff they hired back for XIV is the ex SNK staff from before SNK went bankrupt 16 years ago. After SNK went under they moved to Dimps (who was hired to make SF4 like 8 years later).

So these are old SNK staff members who worked on stuff dating back all the way to Fatal Fury 1.

Pompadour

I'm kind of hoping they take what they learned here and do a Garou or SamSho with a smaller cast that has way more detailed models. Unlike most other fighters, KOFXIV doesn't seem to have left a lot of room to "build" on since it launched with 50 characters. And the character models are lower quality so it will have the same stigma as the 2D KOF series did where sequels would be using decade old art assets. A KOF XV built off of KOF XIV would surely cut a chunk of the cast out just to add new characters without creating an overwhelming roster.

I'd like them to pare down to something like 20 characters for a SamSho but try and create models a bit more future proof.

Skilletor

This game is fucking great.

SF5 is probably my favorite SF.

This feels like it could reach top 3 for me (98 and 95 are my favorites).

Returning to basics works.

Fix that netcode so I can play more people!

KOF 14 Netcode

Alright, i've been watching a ton of streams, mainly online matches and the inconsistencies seem odd. I think the netcode is definitely fixable due to the following.

Reports are saying that party mode is perfect. 6 ppl connecting at the same time

I was watching Floe's stream and noticed that he was playing someone with a great connection.

https://youtu.be/vNYIOkc67ys?t=50m43s

He then plays the same person again in the following match and the slow down kicks in.

https://youtu.be/vNYIOkc67ys?t=54m12s

VesperArcade, who lives in America has reported that he was getting slowdown with someone that lives 10 minutes away from his house, but getting a good connection with someone in Japan???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWzWgx0y938

This leads me to think that it is a sync issue between connections. Once the game goes out of sync, permanent slowdown kicks, with no resync happening unless connections are disconnected and reconnected again.

I've also just seen this on Facebook.

CqrMuOiUsAI3M-N.jpg:large

Hopefully its fixable and they can patch it asap.

Update: Work around to get a good connection until the game is patched.

1) - Play in party mode
2) - Join an existing lobby (dont make your own) and join the bottom right spot where it says "series" and play there. The connection should be perfect.
3) - Temporary fix for KOF XIV online glitch. The good connection has to play as player 2 when playing against bad internet connections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivkZh0fo2ig&feature=youtu.be[/B]

The ex SF4 staff they hired back for XIV is the ex SNK staff from before SNK went bankrupt 16 years ago. After SNK went under they moved to Dimps (who was hired to make SF4 like 8 years later).

So these are old SNK staff members who worked on stuff dating back all the way to Fatal Fury 1.

This is sweet. Capcom and SNK used to steal staff back and forth way back when. I know Capcom doesn't own Dimps, but still they worked on a Capcom property.

Deps

Watching the matches from WNF yesterday, this game is one of the most fun games to watch since og mvc3.

Hyun Sai

As as I feared, they had very difficult time punishing the slide when the player was mixing up the rebound or not... I will test this shit tonight, but I fear the little bitch will be rampaging online modes...

Top Bottom