• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

BadWolf

M' and Kula played a fantastic FT20, just excellent KOF play all around.

Kula is definitely legit.

The set ended 17-20 in favor of Kula. M' was down quite a bit and almost brought it back but in the end Kula pulled through.

One thing about Kula is that he really needs his smoke breaks lol, takes them often during sets.

Also, during this weekend there was the East Asia tournament where Oogosho from Japan made it into grand finals against Dakou while rocking Billy, Muimui and Goro like a boss.

The tournament also saw the return of the one:

C-pFISXUQAAyh7y.jpg

Spuck-uk

Banned
Also, during this weekend there was the East Asia tournament where Oogosho from Japan made it into grand finals against Dakou while rocking Billy, Muimui and Goro like a boss.

The tournament also saw the return of the one:

Any link for Oogosho matches? Goro is in my lineup, and I have a hard tie finding top player footage of him.

Been waiting on the digital version to drop in price, so today was the day! The funny thing is I just got a rental from Gamefly of this yesterday lol

... Oh and I grabbed the character four pack to support more of this but mostly because of my boy Yamazaki <3

I'm still getting use to the different levels of super moves and the auto combos.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
... even if I've been playing less of her lately, and trying to round out the rest of my team. Onlineplay will always solidify that 90% of the matches you fight have little to do with tiers, and more to do with "who'se the most cheap so I can cheese all day with them?!", lol.

I'll never feel "cheap" using Whip, because she's so punishable after any kind of error, that an opponent WILL get their revenge on her. I just enjoy the time where she's working, and loathe when she's not.

Bandeiras and MuiMui are huge parts of my additional teams, though I feel like I really want a better confirm for basic damage with Mui^2 than "cr.b, cr.b, s.b Upkicks", because a small bit of lag will lead to the upkicks missing. No Rekkas off lights, no command throw out of it unlike Yuri... just risky stuff. Her Far D does such a fantastic job at hopping lows and stopping hops and full jumps, though!

Ban. feels pretty great though. OTG. Super is so satisfying. CHESTO! CHESTO! +Kagebushin+. I just wish he had a better cr.C anti-air solution. It he had Vice's cr.C, he'd be amazing, lol. I like ShinobiDASH'n way too much for the mash-attack-crazy onliners, it's a bad habit, but I enjoy it.

I've also never had a hard time finding a room to fight in. There's always SOMETHING open, and I've had my pick, of could make a new one. Even if I feel some Salt VS opponents in mid-fight, I've only had pleasant GGs between people after sets. Community seems to trend to friendly, which is great.

---------

And welcome to the club, Rolento! I think I still have you on my 360-born friend list from like... the CAG fighting game club days or something, ha. Have fun with Yamazaki, most of the ones I fight seem to be made of gimmicks and over-reliance on AA. Supers, so raise an awesome one, and show'em how it's done! ;-)

Amedo310

The reversal playback in training mode is amazing. Easily to find set-ups and solutions for neutral situations.

I found a Kyo reset that allows me to cross up the opponent or punish rolls on both sides.

Also, most useless cross-up set-up ever. lol : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pAQhEoSeVg

It is easy to replicate, but I can make it a real cross by waiting a bit before jumping a second time.

BadWolf

Nobuyuki Kuroki created a 3D render of Rick Strowd.

I like how he makes sure to tell people now that this has nothing to do with SNK or KOFXIV and is just his personal work lol.

Iirc there was a tweet where he was really impressed with T7 and said that he wants to work hard to measure up. It's great to see him practice like this in his free time.

The most shocking thing is Robert in those 2 teams !

His biggest nerf is basically a universal nerf that hit the rest of the cast as well, he's still super solid. Players who ditched or bitched about him initially (M', Reynald etc.) all returned to him. He's still a total dick and can be pretty easy to win with :p

KSB X TSB 2017: Grand Finals! Koji KOG VS Tarenzo

These were pretty nice matches. We even get to see a Verse CDM in there, in the path of evening up rounds.

Winners and Losers finals were solid, too. Will link them here if I see them.

Tbh I'm really surprised those two were able to get past ET and KouKou, KOF players are just so close in skill. Apparently M' was also there and got eliminated.

It was funny seeing SFers flip out in the chat when they saw the damage the characters were doing, saying stuff like Verse's 4 bar damage made him broken. They haven't seen the 70+ percent damage combos Xiaohai does with Luong for 2 bars lol.

Lots of hype moments at the tournament:

Bandeiras vs. Verse scramble

Kim goes to town.

A few tournaments have happened now since the 2.00 update and the balance is still holding strong, basically there are a ton of high tiers (close to 20) and very many characters right under them that can easily give them a run for their money.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
In a world where Capcom continues to deliver DLC characters that stay VERY close to 1 or 2 accepted design styles, and Injustice constantly relies on a cast of characters that could be hair, body, and outfit swaps of each other... I'm so glad to have a game like XIV.

This game can have 2 or 3 times the cast of those other fighters, yet characters seem to stay separate from each others designs even more often. Even when you start to compare characters with close similarities (Like small, youthful, yet old-world inspired girls like Nakoruru and MuiMui, or out-of-shape kooky prisoners like Xanadu and Chang), the characters are so different from each other, it's... really refreshing.

And the games balance in these recent tournaments just makes the large cast even more relevant. Remember when people thought VERSE was straight Booty, and just laughed at his existence in the game? Or watching Robert be the only person who could abuse MAX mode on demand? Or how Mai basically got NO play in XIII, even if she was so highly requested? Or how all people thought she was good for in THIS game, at the start, was her incredibly useful CDM?

Even with all these new fighters on the horizon, I find it hard to see any of them overtaking all the little things I'm lovin' in XIV. Though I'm totally open to them surprising me.

In a world where Capcom continues to deliver DLC characters that stay VERY close to 1 or 2 accepted design styles, and Injustice constantly relies on a cast of characters that could be hair, body, and outfit swaps of each other... I'm so glad to have a game like XIV.

This game can have 2 or 3 times the cast of those other fighters, yet characters seem to stay separate from each others designs even more often. Even when you start to compare characters with close similarities (Like small, youthful, yet old-world inspired girls like Nakoruru and MuiMui, or out-of-shape kooky prisoners like Xanadu and Chang), the characters are so different from each other, it's... really refreshing.

And the games balance in these recent tournaments just makes the large cast even more relevant. Remember when people thought VERSE was straight Booty, and just laughed at his existence in the game? Or watching Robert be the only person who could abuse MAX mode on demand? Or how Mai basically got NO play in XIII, even if she was so highly requested? Or how all people thought she was good for in THIS game, at the start, was her incredibly useful CDM?

Even with all these new fighters on the horizon, I find it hard to see any of them overtaking all the little things I'm lovin' in XIV. Though I'm totally open to them surprising me.

I'd say all of this plus how they roll out their DLC and other post-release efforts (free graphical upgrade, sensible balancing, more consistent contact with the community, at least compared to SNKP years before) has made sticking with XIV such an easy choice this gen.

Last gen, with XII and XIII, as much as I loved those games, it was hard to give equal attention elsewhere with so many titles I liked that were hot then. Kind of a shame this gen as I still want to be invested in SFV, Injustice, Tekken 7, and all the rest eventually, but design choices and missteps (mostly SFV) have me holding back. And even when they get good enough, XIV is still too awesome to not gravitate back toward. Still too many characters I want to master that I probably won't, but want to.

Rhapsody

Banned
What's the best input shortcut for Kyo DP into super? The QCB, HCF one.

Haven't been landing it consistently and I'm leaving damage off the table by not doing it.

Finally found a copy of this in Hong Kong.

So... where do I start lol...

Pick someone who you can play well without meter, that will be your battery. Pick someone who can do ok with meter but possibly live without, that will be your second. Then pick your waifu, because everyone has one.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Geeze, the Pako VS Violent Kain Matches with Panda x Gaming were pretty awesome.

https://twitter.com/HellPockets/status/861331152551911424
https://twitter.com/HellPockets/status/861334443314733056
https://twitter.com/HellPockets/status/861338069940584448
https://twitter.com/HellPockets/status/861338706833162240

I swear that Kyo and Iori (and K'!) are some of the best "balanced playstyle" characters in gaming. Sure they're designed to get you into the game, and offer a bit of everything... but the kinda awesome, scummy, strong tactics they can pull off once solidly understood are just... geeze.

And I love watching the Mui^2 and Luong play, when they worked. Mui came off as all-around solid, though I feel the Luong stuff felt strong, yet gimmicky at the same time.

There was also some great Terry play there, too. Kain LOVED using meter to make all his AA's hurt. Felt like he found a way to put some SFIV Ryu into every character he played, lol.

BadWolf

23 Years of The King of Fighters Series

The video includes new footage of the CG animated series towards the end and gives us our first look at Iori and Mai. The fight scenes are are seriously looking on point.

Xiaohai is also tweeting about this conference.

From the video description:

SNK China (not concerned with Tencent!) will be held about "KOF" Conference (May 9, 2PM) article memories about 23 years of KOF series and future?

From some tease (please check article), I think tomorrow's conference includes plan of KOF franchise spread in China?

They have been sending out special invitations for this conference.

Wonder what announcements we might get out of this. Some people are speculating that the steam version of XIV might be announced.

Don't know if related but SNK Entertainment also tweeted the following:

A large consecutive holiday in Japan will be over soon. We will deliver lots of fun information from tomorrow

https://twitter.com/snk_enter/status/861226503513620480

Geeze, the Pako VS Violent Kain Matches with Panda x Gaming were pretty awesome.

Need to check out the archive for this.

The character composition was posted for the top 4 and there wasn't a single character repeat iirc, 13 unique characters were used between the four players.

sibarraz

Banned
Considering their popularity, and the story ending from most of the team in 14, I think that is a given that the new face team will return

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
With Mary gone, and no sign of Hinoka, and Vice being pretty different, Shermie would fit a nice spot that I don't feel like many other characters (especially female) sit in the current cast of XIV. The closest comparison is something of a Mix of Zarina and Clarkm with a tiny bit of Geese or Rock for the bit of counters / invulnerable throw.

New Face Team returning would basically be the return of 6 characters with their Orochi forms. And if each of those forms were to get new gameplay shifts and stuff, it'd be a heck of a lot of work. Or if they were to be DLC, maybe they'd leave the Orochi forms for the sequel?

That art is great BTW, like how we have Alfred and Jack Turner hanging around for.. some reason. (Every time I see Alfred, I think he needs a bonus costume of Roddy from Top Hunter...)

BadWolf

These Kula and Alice renders...

http://chrissy-tee.deviantart.com/art/Kula-Fingerguns-677515867
http://chrissy-tee.deviantart.com/art/Alice-Test-Render-676797280

From the comments:

So... Some new KoF models were released recently and they are really fun to work with.

will probably do more with them in the future.

Damn are these the KOF14 models or did you make them from scratch?

These are the actual KoF 14 models. I did not make them.

Wonder what the mod scene can accomplish with the visuals once the PC port hits.

BadWolf

They did such a fantastic job with Alice, Love and Muimui (visually and gameplay) that I had hoped they would become regulars.

Anywho, the tweet:

There are rumors about replacing pachislot characters with two SamSho chars and Chizuru.

To add to this, in KOF World footage someone previously noticed that Chizuru was one of the characters with a portrait/avatar in the style of XIV's character select art. Only characters from XIV seemed to have that art in the KOFW's trailers/screens.

They are mentioning EVO in the conference photo, could they be making the change soon? Along with the PC version maybe?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Replacing a character already in the game sounds weird. they'd also still be part of the original code, so rolling back a non-patched game would still give access. And they're part of artwork, movies, and voicework of the game... wouldn't they just... not use them in a future entry?

...but I'd LOVE to have Chizuru back, so... err... hm. Will be interesting to see how this works out. With all the character variety in this game, there's still nobody who straight-up attacks with a reflection / clone of themselves. (Though Kim and Bandeiras try really, really hard in their CDMs!)

Jack's probably there on account of that 3D model Kuroki showed off on Twitter.

Ahh, I see, back all the way in January! I remembered the Rick... seeing it again, I remember the message from Jack too. It'd be weird for him to return, but I actually love it when SNK decides to work without characters no one specifically asked for.

Love would be the most likely loss, no? If they really can't do more with her IP, I could see them turning Nakoruru's teammates into people who revolve each new entry. Though I'd hope MuiMui would join up with Xiangfei, or something.

If Alice wants to join up with Shingo and someone else, I'd be all for that, too. It'd suck to lose her, I agree.

BadWolf

Replacing a character already in the game sounds weird. they'd also still be part of the original code, so rolling back a non-patched game would still give access. And they're part of artwork, movies, and voicework of the game... wouldn't they just... not use them in a future entry?

The only reason I could see this being needed is that they are required to do this due to XIV being an ongoing project that is being updated and is also releasing on two new platforms soon.

If this is true then this is basically a hit that they have to take financially since they have to straight up replace the characters and not release them as DLC.

I mean...that would be unprecedented for a fighting game. Imagine if in a future patch, one of the notes is "Love Heart has been removed from the game".

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I would just expect for them to be able to keep her in the game, but like... be prevented from modifying her anymore, or not allowed to use her in new materials (such as new trailers or promotional videos).

I could see it being the case of too many hands on the same project, as you'd think just getting the limited rights from whom they sold it to, to keep her in this project indefinitely, would be easy enough.

The online age brings different concerns and tactics, though. Though the idea of SNK having a harder time keeping their own pachislot characters in a game, than, say, Capcom has at keeping once-relevant, now-forgotten characters in re-releases of 90s games like MVC2, still feels zany.

Anywho, in a total mood shift, I decided to make a VERSEEEEEE Card to go along with the style I used for the Avatars in this threads OT. I swear he's a character that should never have to be rendered in 2D ever, lol. Wanted to do something to respect the KSB matches from the other day, but it ended up taking so much longer than I anticipated.

Native:
Verse01_zpsqnaxtt8f.png
3x:
VerseBigger_zps3b6xmxui.png

sibarraz

Banned
Will not be better to "nameless" her? I have no problem with removing the character, but the moveset will be bad, SNK should pick some obscure character and give her the same moveset, usa rosa from kizuna encounter or janne from world heroes and pretend that they use similar moves

Loona

I would just expect for them to be able to keep her in the game, but like... be prevented from modifying her anymore, or not allowed to use her in new materials (such as new trailers or promotional videos).

They still use Love Heart in those Naruyuki Quest comics based off of their April Fools game preview, and that was long after Sky Love was presented as being associated with the same company that's now working with Sister Quest...

There's no reason to drop Alice though - while Love Heart has her own setting, Alice is a product of the South Town setting, and ideally may still have a lot of proper development ahead in SNK's fighting games.

Amedo310

They still use Love Heart in those Naruyuki Quest comics based off of their April Fools game preview, and that was long after Sky Love was presented as being associated with the same company that's now working with Sister Quest....
The same can be said for K9999, who was used after KOF2002 in the FF x KOF mobile card game:

Also, he was worked on unlimited match, but SNKP bother not added him to the official roster.

Mr. X

Since they're patching vs doing a new entry every year, this is a funny situation when characters they don't own need to be removed or redesigned.

So yeah, I know I said I would try not to talk about anything in an official capacity here (I don't have any authority here anyway heh) but the rumors about Chizuru and the Pachinko characters getting dropped/replaced are complete FUD. Got the OK from Y.Oda to squash the rumors.

Chizuru was just a mistake on Leyou Millenium's part (or whoever made the presentation materials) and I honestly don't even know where the talk of pachinko characters getting dropped/replace came from!

Figured it might be best to jump in and put people's minds at ease as the rumors seem to by flying all over the place.

Now time to slink back into the shadows like a certain press secretary^^

Loona

So yeah, I know I said I would try not to talk about anything in an official capacity here (I don't have any authority here anyway heh) but the rumors about Chizuru and the Pachinko characters getting dropped/replaced are complete FUD. Got the OK from Y.Oda to squash the rumors.

Chizuru was just a mistake on Leyou Millenium's part (or whoever made the presentation materials) and I honestly don't even know where the talk of pachinko characters getting dropped/replace came from!

Figured it might be best to jump in and put people's minds at ease as the rumors seem to by flying all over the place.

Thank you!

The concern was mostly from the issue with Sister Quest and apparently Sky Love getting acquired (or licensed?...) by another company (Highlights Entertainment IIRC), which has been a lingering issue for those keeping track, and this Chizuru thing seems to have blown that out of proportion.

That being said, if nothing else it got some Chizuru fans to manifest - the character does have a pretty distinct gameplay, and story-wise it's nice to have someone acting like an adult keeping the Kyo/Iori thing focused on something other than a token rivalry with no resolution in sight.

BadWolf

SNK: KOF - Past, present and future (Full Conference)

ATRyoSakazaki has uploaded the entire Chinese conference. They sure didn't spare any expenses it looks like.

Native:
Verse01_zpsqnaxtt8f.png
3x:
VerseBigger_zps3b6xmxui.png

Bro... so good O_O

Really appreciate this man, stuff like this always gets out of hand and it's not often that companies squash the speculation as fast as they should.

It's great to see Oda and crew always shoot down stuff like this quickly.

Top Bottom