• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

BadWolf

Quick starter guide for Rock.

Rock is solid all around, great damage for simple combos with plenty of tools from an invincible ant-air and counters to a quick-maxable overhead and a command throw. He is pretty quick overall and has some nice normals (jD and jCD in particular).

Because you have both him and Shun on your team it's very important that you don't confuse their QCB+P moves. Generally speaking all three versions of Shun's QCB+P are safe on block, they can be punished but most of the time they won't either because the opponent's character doesn't have the tools to do so or they don't know how even if they do. With Rock on the other hand QCB+LP is mostly safe (-4 on block) but if you do it too close to the opponent then Rock can be punished with a throw (Shun's on the other hand always creates enough push back not to be regular throw punishable). Rock's QCB+HP and QCB+PP are both very unsafe on block and can be punished with full combos.

He doesn't benefit quite as much from raw activation as Shun and Nak but he is better at quick max activations than them thanks to his command overhead.

hey I know that guy haha. He used to hold sessions at his tea place. I've actually never seen any of his videos 'til now. Very well made.

Rhapsody

Banned
I seem to be in pool A610 apparently. As someone that pretty much just entered to support the game how utterly fucked does it look like I am?

I can finally meet SolarKnight.

I had Cheng Long in my bracket, but he's been moved now. Still got Kusanagi, however.

Edit: nvm, I got it mixed up with my SFV bracket. Too many games I'm entered in

tzare

DLC is on sale so i bought it, SNk games usually get sales soon so it is worth waiting a little.

Btw, that does the exclamation symbol (!) that some players have when playing online mean?
And.... why do people PM you with stupid messages , even when they win, some people really act as cunts, and considering KOF hasn't got a huge fan base it is a bit sad that the few people you meet online act like this.

BadWolf

DLC is on sale so i bought it, SNk games usually get sales soon so it is worth waiting a little.

Btw, that does the exclamation symbol (!) that some players have when playing online mean?
And.... why do people PM you with stupid messages , even when they win, some people really act as cunts, and considering KOF hasn't got a huge fan base it is a bit sad that the few people you meet online act like this.

The exclamation symbol means they ragequit/disconnect a lot iirc.

And yeah, there are some idiots. I just ignore their messages and never waste time replying.

My pool had a few KCO guys but I guess it really doesn't matter since unfortunately I had to cancel the trip. It's a bummer too, since this would have been the first time I could enter KOF at Evo since it was only last year that it was an invite only tournament. Though on the brightside, maybe this will let me save up for Evo japan, since I think it might start next year iirc.

tzare

The exclamation symbol means they ragequit/disconnect a lot iirc.

And yeah, there are some idiots. I just ignore their messages and never waste time replying.

thanks. Interesting. I also find curious that some people hide their stats. Maybe i am just the weird guy here, i play for fun and even when i lose (while some times i feel frustrated because i get destroyed ) i usually try to learn and still enjoy the matches (still think the power bar fills too fast and is too relevant, but that's the way the game is so..)

Ans yes i should ignore them, i tried to reply politely twice and only to receive even more stupid replies , lol.

oh btw, DF posted a video comparing KOFXIV running at 4K on PC and PS4Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y04Uy1G5eQU

Amedo310

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm not sure who's in your pool. I had to fight up to Madkof now. Crealo Mustard might be the guy for me to face in my first match. After that I have to beat very high level players to even get out of pools.

Anyway, good luck in your pools.

The strong players that I auto-recognize are Violent Kain and also KojiKOG, but I'll see if I can even make it to the former. And thanks, good luck to you too. I haven't been practicing as much as I'd like, but I'm excited. Should be fun.

Amedo310

I know a few players that are going to miss out on the tournament.

Juicebox reported that he can not go, https://twitter.com/MGS_WILL/status/884196538473435136, and it is funny how so many people put him in fantasy brackets. It would have interesting to see him play Atma in their pool.

Mecha Oni

I'm sure Ryry said he was not going to Evo at my retro monthly past Saturday.

Nerd Josh might be out too due to his hand acting up. He might just watch the tournament at the venue instead. He's in my pool too. https://twitter.com/NerdJosh/status/884917093161771008

Amedo310

I'm at the SNK suite now. I had the pleasure of hosting the socal players, Mr KOF, Reynald and DC Kane earlier.

M' vs Reynald ft5 is happening at game goons stream.

I'm at the SNK suite now. I had the pleasure of hosting the socal players, Mr KOF, Reynald and DC Kane earlier.

M' vs Reynald ft5 is happening at game goons stream.

Yeah, that was a great set. That link with Geese that Reynald pulled off towards the end was sick.

BadWolf

Yeah, that was a great set. That link with Geese that Reynald pulled off towards the end was sick.

And the reverse OCV in the first match was so damn good.

Kim is a much, much better choice as anchor for M' than Iori. His Iori always did the least work.

And yeah, Reynald's Geese was really hype.

Wonder if these are their mains for the tournament.

Amedo310

I'm out 2-2. Lost to Madkof and yukadon(!!). I adapted in the 2nd games to get to their last characters but nerves got me. I literally threw the Match against madkof by the completing the checkmate situation with Beni's climax. At least, I beat his daimon with mine. Oh well.

BadWolf

I'm out 2-2. Lost to Madkof and yukadon(!!). I adapted in the 2nd games to get to their last characters but nerves got me. I literally threw the Match against madkof by the completing the checkmate situation with Beni's climax. At least, I beat his daimon with mine. Oh well.

Good stuff man.

Madkof got sent to losers by Baek just now.

Amedo310

I managed to get off stream matches if the following with my ass camera.

Last match of koukou vs kyamei

Madkof vs kokoji(?)

Dakou vs gxbridget.

Lius cha beat reynald. Reynald in loser. I have no footage. :(

M' in loser. Sent by white Ash. White Ash in top 8 winners.

I got koukou vs abao.

Pako knocks Madkof out of tournament.

BadWolf

I managed to get off stream matches if the following with my ass camera.

Last match of koukou vs kyamei

Madkof vs kokoji(?)

Dakou vs gxbridget.

Lius cha beat reynald. Reynald in loser. I have no footage. :(

M' in loser. Sent by white Ash. White Ash in top 8 winners.

I got koukou vs abao.

Pako knocks Madkof out of tournament.

Damn, so many upsets. Really looking forward to the vids.

At this rate Xiaohai might win, Xiaohu had his ass at the limit but then made a critical mistake (raw max activation point blank) at the very end and handed it to Xiaohai on a platter.

Quick summary of my KoF experience today

Got a bye
Got OCV'd both games of my first match
Beat a Clark/Robert/Yamazaki
Lost immediately after but not double OCV'd at least

So overall better than expected. If it wasn't for that bye I might've ended on stream too lol

Rhapsody

Banned
Such a long top 8 but so good. Really wish ET's Clark wrecked people, but oh well. The crowd went hype when he selected him though. Also that end. It was worth sitting there until close to midnight just for that last round.

Overall, I did better in KoF than my other games that day lol. 97th place after going 4-2. Just needed two more wins to make it to top 48 and out of pools. Had a lot of fun. Playing this much KoF with new people was really nice.

BadWolf

Quick summary of my KoF experience today

Got a bye
Got OCV'd both games of my first match
Beat a Clark/Robert/Yamazaki
Lost immediately after but not double OCV'd at least

So overall better than expected. If it wasn't for that bye I might've ended on stream too lol

Such a long top 8 but so good. Really wish ET's Clark wrecked people, but oh well. The crowd went hype when he selected him though. Also that end. It was worth sitting there until close to midnight just for that last round.

Overall, I did better in KoF than my other games that day lol. 97th place after going 4-2. Just needed two more wins to make it to top 48 and out of pools. Had a lot of fun. Playing this much KoF with new people was really nice.

Good job holding it down for Gaf guys, I was really hoping to catch you on stream.

Here's some of all the off stream matches I got for semi final. Warning quality is complete ass.

Kyamei vs Koukou (Last Round): https://youtu.be/C6gTzj-3eag

Kojikog vs Madkof: https://youtu.be/QvjM61eKxVg

Koukou vs Abao: https://youtu.be/rh-8YCHnRRw

Dakou vs ZJZ/ Gxbridget: https://youtu.be/Thb4Ys6ZRv8

Thanks so much man, these matches would have been lost without you. Digging in.

Another

tAwrPqz.jpg

tzare

I wonder if snk will get something in'return' besides a bit of publicity with this namco deal.

Btw just jumped into SFV.... Man does it feel slow compared to KOF... I guess that is why i am more competitive , lol.

Also while visuals are better, i feel KOF ain't that bad, only the lighting is way behind

BadWolf

KOF confirmed for EVO Japan.

Also while visuals are better, i feel KOF ain't that bad, only the lighting is way behind

Lighting is the only issue really, they decided to create their own engine from scratch and it's just not up to par yet when it comes to lighting.

The character models and animation are solid.

This is what the models look like with different lighting applied (the models have been copy and pasted from XIV, only the lighting is new):

Alice: http://chrissy-tee.deviantart.com/art/Alice-Test-Render-676797280

Kula: http://chrissy-tee.deviantart.com/art/Kula-Fingerguns-677515867

Loona

I wonder if snk will get something in'return' besides a bit of publicity with this namco deal.

Didn't get Capcom get access to smoethingthing Namco has a patent on in exchange for Gouki? Maybe SNK managed to negotiate access to something they could use a hand with...

BadWolf

Didn't get Capcom get access to smoethingthing Namco has a patent on in exchange for Gouki? Maybe SNK managed to negotiate access to something they could use a hand with...

Doubt that has anything to do with Akuma.

Namco can probably use whoever they want due to the cross over partnership with Capcom. They seem to have decided to use Akuma in Tekken instead of making Tekken X Street Fighter any time soon.

tzare

KOF confirmed for EVO Japan.

Lighting is the only issue really, they decided to create their own engine from scratch and it's just not up to par yet when it comes to lighting.

The character models and animation are solid.

This is what the models look like with different lighting applied (the models have been copy and pasted from XIV, only the lighting is new):

Alice: http://chrissy-tee.deviantart.com/art/Alice-Test-Render-676797280

Kula: http://chrissy-tee.deviantart.com/art/Kula-Fingerguns-677515867

agree. In fact lighting and somehow the style is what makes also SFV characters stand out vs KOF (exaggerated vs 'plain' or more realistic, as has usually been the case with KOF vs other fighters like SF or FF)

Btw interesting how different the online feels when there are bad connections, KOF slows down which is shit but still able to play somehow, but in SF the chracters teleport, making it unplayable.

Such a pitty the userbase on SF is much higher and it is easy to play online unlike KOF. Maybe if SNK allows crossplay with PC ......

i wish they had tech support to improve their engine from namco instead of access to characters to be honest :)

BadWolf

agree. In fact lighting and somehow the style is what makes also SFV characters stand out vs KOF (exaggerated vs 'plain' or more realistic, as has usually been the case with KOF vs other fighters like SF or FF)

Btw interesting how different the online feels when there are bad connections, KOF slows down which is shit but still able to play somehow, but in SF the chracters teleport, making it unplayable.

Such a pitty the userbase on SF is much higher and it is easy to play online unlike KOF. Maybe if SNK allows crossplay with PC ......

i wish they had tech support to improve their engine from namco instead of access to characters to be honest :)

Yeah, hopefully SNK's fantastic post launch support and consistent releases of new games in the future will build a solid fan base over time. This is the first time they are showing this kind of support for a game, even holding a world championship and giving a big pot bonus for Evo. Balance patches and DLC content have been on point as well.

Personally I'm hopping there is one more balance patch before Evo Japan. The game overall is very well balanced (23 characters were used in Evo's top 8) but characters like Benimaru, Kula, Iori etc. definitely need to be adjusted. They were left untouched or buffed in the previous balance patch which was a mistake.

And agreed about the engine, though is it even worth developing their own engine for SNK? Everyone else seems to be using UE4 and UE3.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Raiden and Heihachi DID share a Seiyuu at one point... Would have been funny to see Kazuya wondering why this bear of a man sounds like his dad...

stn

As much as I'm still mediocre at short-hopping on the PS4 d-pad and as much as I'm still way too used to Street Fighter, I am still having a blast fooling around in training mode with KOF. Are there any GAF'ers that play? I'd be down to scrub it out some time, I've never played this game online yet.

So far, I've enjoyed the hell out of Love, Geese, Terry, Athena, and Andy. Gonna try Mature tonight.

As much as I'm still mediocre at short-hopping on the PS4 d-pad and as much as I'm still way too used to Street Fighter, I am still having a blast fooling around in training mode with KOF. Are there any GAF'ers that play? I'd be down to scrub it out some time, I've never played this game online yet.

So far, I've enjoyed the hell out of Love, Geese, Terry, Athena, and Andy. Gonna try Mature tonight.

I still play semi-regularly so feel free to add me for some matches. Same PSN as my nick here: Dark_Tzitzimine

Top Bottom