• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

I can see a potential Sen the 4th becoming a digest of several Divertissement-like chapters starring new and recurring Kiseki characters that take place in different areas of Western Zemuria at various points in time that eventually ties back together and concludes with
Crossbell's complete independence from Erebonia
and leads into the next Kiseki setting.

Or would that be better served as DLC?
It was confirmed long ago that Sen III will be the final Erebonia game and that Calvard will be the next arc. I wouldn't be opposed to the style returning in a future game, though.

Just make a Trails through the Plot subseries and release one after every arc.

Psxphile

All bonding events can be seen... but you'll have to find them all first!
(hidden bonding scenes that require multiple steps to trip are go)

Some brief talk from Kondo on the length of the game here. Also you can see all the bonding events in one playthrough.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Gu4n/status/908584397682638848

Everything about that excerpt is amazing.

This actually sounds great to me. It must take skills and dedication to headrub everybody in one playthrough.

Jolkien

Ao, at the end of Chapter 4:

Holy crap I feel BETRAYED, Maribelle, Dieter, Arios, Noel holy shit. And not just betrayed but they ended up cooperating with Ourobouros I never saw it coming heh.
Finally seeing how Garellia was deleted from the face of Zemuria. Not to sure what the temporal displacement was all about when I've defeated Arios (and in the process went from lvl 79 to 84) I had him then he was fine and he defeated my party, I guess I'll understand in Chapter 5 ?

I also wonder if the three mechanics that arrive (can't recall their name) if they're Divine Knight or what

This game is an amazing ride

preta

Holy crap I feel BETRAYED, Maribelle, Dieter, Arios, Noel holy shit. And not just betrayed but they ended up cooperating with Ourobouros I never saw it coming heh.
Finally seeing how Garellia was deleted from the face of Zemuria. Not to sure what the temporal displacement was all about when I've defeated Arios (and in the process went from lvl 79 to 84) I had him then he was fine and he defeated my party, I guess I'll understand in Chapter 5 ?

I also wonder if the three mechanics that arrive (can't recall their name) if they're Divine Knight or what

The three machines are Aions.

Jolkien, how are you playing AO? Are you using the spreadsheet translation by any chance? How is it btw? Really curious if the game is playable :) Thank you!

preta

Jolkien, how are you playing AO? Are you using the spreadsheet translation by any chance? How is it btw? Really curious if the game is playable :) Thank you!

The spreadsheet translation for Ao is usable but nowhere near the standard of a finished fan translation, much less an official release. (It's also worth noting that there are two versions - one is not completely consistent with established series terminology, changing some major terms, and the other has been edited by other fans to correct these errors.)

The machine translation that's actually been inserted into the game, on the other hand, well... I question why anyone even bothered to insert it, because it's a garbled, unusable mess.

Jolkien

Yeah I'm using the spreadsheet, and a guide on gamefaq it's 100% playable. A few side quest are not translated but for the main plot and about 80% of side quest you don't miss a thing. It's clearly not Xseed quality and some term are incorrect but I figure what they means on a few seconds.

I can't wait to eventually be able to speak to everybody once it's properly translated but for now it does the job.

Gu4n

Everything about that excerpt is amazing.
Right now, I feel like when I'm on a new roller coaster -- I'm as excited as I'm afraid.

2xI37hj.jpg

Wait, so we are at 60% of the overarching story after so many games? This is going to be a long series.

Edit: Being able to see all bonding events in one run is good news, but I wonder what they will add to NG+ in exchange. After all, since Zero bonding events have been an additional reason to replay the games.

jb1234

Translated the map to English. With all the European influences in East Erebonia, with a little bit of Lord of the Rings, it was pretty easy to find the intended romanisation.

Also, the name of that basin in the north got a whole new meaning today.

Whoa.
At what point does poor Crossbell get absorbed into Erebonia, CS2?

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Added a spoiler remark (that a map for the third game in a series has spoilers for the first two).

Thank you. I believe the spoiler tag is warranted even so... [CS2]
Erebonia annexing Crossbell is a huge plot twist, and I don't think most people would expect such a major spoiler to be on a map, even if it's for a game they haven't played. And given the recent PC release, I expect there are a fair amount of people who have played the first Cold Steel but haven't played the second one here.

Ugh all this info is making it really freaking hard to not import CS3. I just wish we knew if XSeed was going to try and get it out asap next year or if they might try and get Zero/Ao out first >.>

Edit: Also the news about nearly everything being voice is also pretty crazy if you think about how much wasn't voiced in CS1/2, certainly seems like they've really tried to step up for this game.

PK Gaming

Wow wow wow

So no confirmations either way, but the bonding set up is looking pretty dang promising now. I hope it's spread across the entire cast instead of Rean just bonding with his students.

Wow wow wow

So no confirmations either way, but the bonding set up is looking pretty dang promising now. I hope it's spread across the entire cast instead of Rean just bonding with his students.
considering final bonding events are confirmed, itd be pretty ridiculous if it was only his class.

Loz246789

Yeeesss, gooood, all according plan!
I'm so happy about bonding events being fixed, THEY LISTENED, THERE'S HOPE

Unrelated, but I've finally managed to get a friend to start playing the series by fanboying- uh, explaining in great detail without spoilers how great it is. Any advice I should give her when she's started the first Sky game? (I've already told her to talk to NPCs repeatedly if she's interested in any of them, and that if she's going for 100% she'll probably need a guide.)

Unrelated, but I've finally managed to get a friend to start playing the series by fanboying- uh, explaining in great detail without spoilers how great it is. Any advice I should give her when she's started the first Sky game? (I've already told her to talk to NPCs repeatedly if she's interested in any of them, and that if she's going for 100% she'll probably need a guide.)

Tell her to beware of spoilers in guides I ran into quite a few when I was looking them up as I just played through them.

Also tell her to use the Turbo feature its necessary to really be able to get into the Sky games.

Thud

Prepare some tea that goes along with it. Well and Normal for a first playtrough.

Screencap all the Olivier moments.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
I'm probably the only person on this board disappointed with the removal of bonding points. If anything, I wanted more mutually exclusive scenes and unique rewards for seeing them (like
the accessories you could get from Toval, Claire, or Sharon
in CS II). It adds replay value and encourages you to use different party configurations on repeat playthroughs, IMO. It's content exclusive to NG+ that should burn in the fires of Gehenna.

I hope we get bonding events that don't involve Rean (or other point of view characters, assuming there are any) at all, both for narrative reasons (to see a wider variety of characters play off each other) and for gameplay ones (not every pair makes for good link partners: Jusis is a bro, but Rean doesn't care about Arts Support and Arts Support 2).

PK Gaming

-Turbo mode
-Play at your own pace
-The HTML PC guides on Gamefaqs is your bible (for secret sidequests and such)

Thud

I'm not sure if bonding points are gone. It could be there's enough points for all the bonding events.

I can see Falcom pulling this off by slowly expanding the cast per act.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
I'm not sure if bonding points are gone. It could be there's enough points for all the bonding events.

I can see Falcom pulling this off by slowly expanding the cast per act.
I'm not sure I understand. There's no functional difference between removing bonding points and giving the player enough bonding points to see everything, is there? Unless Falcom add uses other than bonding events for them, like spending time training to receive a permanent stat boost.

PK Gaming

Hope: Rean's bonding event endings are largely platonic, with only Alisa/Fie/Emma/Laura + Sara being viable love interests.

Woke: Rean's bonding events engulf the entire continent, and he is able to have romantic relationships with every character. Tita? Rixia? Schera? Olivier? Not even Ambassador Cochrane will be safe.

vkrili

I disagree. I think people would be more likely to miss an event if its only indication was squared away in the corner of a map. Wouldn't do any harm to have a countdown onscreen at all times.

Loz246789

-Turbo mode
-Play at your own pace
-The HTML PC guides on Gamefaqs is your bible (for secret sidequests and such)

Prepare some tea that goes along with it. Well and Normal for a first playtrough.

Screencap all the Olivier moments.

Tell her to beware of spoilers in guides I ran into quite a few when I was looking them up as I just played through them.

Also tell her to use the Turbo feature its necessary to really be able to get into the Sky games.

Thanks everyone! I'll pass this all along.

Tonton

Hope: Rean's bonding event endings are largely platonic, with only Alisa/Fie/Emma/Laura + Sara being viable love interests.

Woke: Rean's bonding events engulf the entire continent, and he is able to have romantic relationships with every character. Tita? Rixia? Schera? Olivier? Not even Ambassador Cochrane will be safe.

It will be the second one

Except for Elise

vkrili

It will be the second one

Except for Elise

But it's the ultimate, super secret one. First you have to carry over data from CS1 into CS2 where you messed up and danced with her. Then you can't do the final CS2 event with anyone. Then you're not allowed to view any bonding scenes at all in CS3, on NG+. Then, and only then, will you be able to view Elise's final scene.

ZCDAOs8.png

Some brief talk from Kondo on the length of the game here. Also you can see all the bonding events in one playthrough.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Gu4n/status/908584397682638848

Good. It never worked, and now they can be vital to understanding characters yet still optional ala 3rd's Doors.

How could you forget Towa? CS II Finale and Epilogue events:
she pats his head, and he's comfortable enough to cry in her presence.

Honest:
They're closer in spirit to each other than any other potential paring. They're complete public servants to the core, always on the hunt for the most burdens of others. Compared to her, Alisa looks like the PSP version baggage.

Nyoro SF

Oh man, if the game is really that long, then what we saw in the trailer is probably just the tiniest slice. 13 DAYS LEFT (until my package ships)

Jiraiza

Still wary of what they're going to do with the bonding events. Guess we'll see in two weeks.

I like the news about the full voice acting, though. God bless.

vkrili

If you ignored bonding events altogether, Alisa and Towa are about the only ones with enough redolent scenes to fuel the ship.

Sara is Rean's knight in shining armor who figures him out on Day 1 and they have a bunch of scenes where they shittalk each other, and what is true love if not that

e: She also has the most main story presence out of all potential candidates

There should be JDK Band mini concert performing Sen 3 music, which will hopefully be streamed at least.

Just as a followup since I just noticed that they released more details at some point, it will be streamed on Konami's TGS livestream, and there will be two events on Saturday 23rd at 10:40 and Sunday 24th at 12:10 JST.

Saturday stream, Sunday stream

And unlimited bonding is the best change they could have made. Was a completely arbitrary restriction.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh all this info is making it really freaking hard to not import CS3. I just wish we knew if XSeed was going to try and get it out asap next year or if they might try and get Zero/Ao out first >.>

Edit: Also the news about nearly everything being voice is also pretty crazy if you think about how much wasn't voiced in CS1/2, certainly seems like they've really tried to step up for this game.

I'm not sure there's much in question there. CS3 will by far be the priority while Zero/Ao may not get official localization at all.

Thud

I'm not sure there's much in question there. CS3 will by far be the priority while Zero/Ao may not get official localization at all.

Well, CS3 can serve as a game that makes you want to try out the rest. I think it's more a question of when rather than if. Of course there are still plently of older works left.

Loz246789

I'm under no allusion that the Crossbell duology will somehow be officially localised before CS3, but the idea of the games never being localised at all makes me sad. :(

(In regards to sales, the good news is that ToCS PC is still generally trending upwards - it's currently at 18,135 ± 3,940, and whilst I don't know the specifics of how SteamSpy works, the actual peak estimated data is at 23,170? Obviously, not actually as high as that because maths, but hey, positive trends.
The bad news is, Sky the third is most certainly not trending upwards, being at 14,105 ± 3,475, which is ABOUT the same as last time I brought this up. The actually-selling-well first game seems to have had a small bump, thanks to recent patches presumably, but this has yet to trickle down to its sequels. And uh, it's kind of those games we need to worry about to justify Zero and beyond.)

Top Bottom