• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

PK Gaming

DKR-0n8UQAAm2oK.jpg

Godlike

I can't believe I'm going to play 6 Trails games back-to-back. I got all the Evolution Vita games on 5/31 and started Sky FC on the same day. Fast forward and I'll be done with Ao tomorrow... a little over 3 and a half months to finish 5 games. How am I not sick of this franchise yet?

LOVE is the answer

Nyoro SF

FYI Kondo is a huge troll and loves teasing/screwing around with the fanbase.

If I had such a huge story-linked game with a rabid fanbase under my belt I'd troll too. Missed opportunity otherwise!

Psxphile

Oh yea! All those students actually have lines in important scenes, haven't they? Excitement!

We only got Ferris and a bunch of generic noble students in CS1, haha.

They'll be dubbing new lines for CS1 during the CS2 recording sessions and patching them in. Definitive versions just got more definitive (or will in the future).

I assumed CS3 would take place in Western Erebonia only.

Going back to this just reviewing things from CS2 I would be deeply surprised if the whole game or even a large majority (like greater then 70% of the game) was spent in Western Erebonia for a few reasons which I'll put in spoilers below...

Spoilers for all of Cold Steel 1/2 including the new game plus stuff and Characters that have already been revealed for CS3.
Several mysteries are left to be properly resolved in Eastern Erebonia...

So first is Lohengrin Castle and its former Divine Knight. Granted the most likely conclusion would be that the story might actually be finished there and the reason the DK is now gone is because someone was able to Awaken it... Besides Class 7 the only other person we know that could be, if it was resent would be the Steel Maiden Herself Arianrhod... Which would make sense as when Lohengrin castle lights up on that very night it is STRIKINGLY similar to what happens when the Old Schoolhouse ends up doing the same thing in the final chapter of CS1. It would at least explain why on that night the castle 'activated' and why Arianrhod was there and since she is showing up in CS3... I'm expecting Rean is going to get his Ashen ass handed to him if that is indeed the case. It is possible that the DK was previously removed and could even be the Palatinate Knight that was destroyed during that very war. Seems to be likely being one of these two cases with my money on the former.

Second is Thomas and Rosine. The CS2 NG+ content is pretty much all about revealing them as being apart of the Gralsritter and telling the true story of the War of the Lions. Thomas asking Rean to work with them is also unresolved and I don't think we've really seen much of either of them in CS3 as of yet if at all which to me suggests they likely play a big role but likely in the latter half of the game. Heres hoping both end up playable. Also its already been revealed that Barkhorn is actually in CS3 and it seems likely that Gaius has joined the Gralsritter (likely as a squire to Barkhorn) if he wasn't one already and hes covering the west it'd be very odd to have the NG+ scene revealing Thomas/Rosine if they weren't going to play some part, and they cover the east.

Third is the two Sept-Terrions within Erebonia which also is linked to Thomas and Rosine. I'm going to assume the one of fire is within the Vermillion Palace/Heimdallr due to the events of CS2 but despite everything that happens in those games it has not revealed itself. On top of that there is another one within Erebonia which we don't know what it is or where... While this doesn't directly relate to the east of the continent it could very well be anywhere... If I had to guess its the Sept-Terrion of time which is why suddenly we have several dead people coming back to life... Might end up explaining Osborne as well.

Fourth would be the Nord Highlands and the giant mech/statue that it had. It's a mystery that has yet to be properly touched upon and at the very least if Nord ends up being ignored I think its likely we'll end up seeing Byronia island as it also had a similar one according to CS1.

Fifth would be unresolved character interactions. I have a hard time believing we'll end up missing out on seeing Ymir when Rean still needs to confront his foster father, not to mention Jusis and his father, Elliot and his father, and the various characters of Thors from CS1/2 that all many of those cities home.

It would just seem odd to me if all of these things get resolved in some major or minor way and it all takes place on the western side of the map. I don't think we'll be spending a crazy amount of time in the east but I think the second half of the game is likely to feature at least a few key locations at the very least. This is excluding Crossbell of course but I get the feeling this game world will be extremely big.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Gu4n twitted Musse's and Ash's Craft lists, and they look kind of insane: https://twitter.com/Gu4n/status/910967714918871040

Of particular note are Melty Bullet (Class S damage, hits all, has a 90% chance of inflicting a new ailment called Charm, costs 30 CP) and Acid Rage (STR +50% for 3 turns on self, 50 CP per turn for 2 turns on self, costs 10 CP). The power level makes me wonder if they are going to be guest characters, playable only for a short while.

PK Gaming

Gu4n twitted Musse's and Ash's Craft lists, and they look kind of insane: https://twitter.com/Gu4n/status/910967714918871040

Of particular note are Melty Bullet (Class S damage, hits all, has a 90% chance of inflicting a new ailment called Charm, costs 30 CP) and Acid Rage (STR +50% for 3 turns on self, 50 CP per turn for 2 turns on self, costs 10 CP). The power level makes me wonder if they are going to be guest characters, playable only for a short while.

Melty Bullet is pretty much in line with other powerful AoE skills present in CS1/2, but Acid Charge looks disgusting. 10CP for what basically amounts to +90CP and a significant strength buff? Something's up with him for sure.

Also, did anyone notice that Rean lost Motivate? Hmmmmmm....

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Melty Bullet is pretty much in line with other powerful AoE skills present in CS1/2
No way. I can't think of a single Craft that would target all enemies in the first two CS games, much less of one priced at 30 CP. You'd spend 40 or 45 CP to hit an L-size area, and you'd like it. Melty Bullet is one letter grade away from being an S-Craft.

The Kiseki wiki has Juna's and Kurt's Crafts too, and they look quite a bit weaker than Melty Bullet and more in line with what the old Class VII used to have.

Cross Break - Class B damage, targets an M-size area, Impedes, has a 30% chance to inflict Faint, costs 30 CP.
Rain Slash - Class A damage, targets a line (S+), inflicts 10 points of Delay, costs 30 CP.
Twin Carver - Class D damage, targets a line (S), Impedes, has a 50% to inflict Blind, costs 40 CP.

Gu4n

Ash is strangely overpowered. With the description for Acid Rage speaking of "drawing out his latent abilities", I doubt he is your average delinquent.

(Zero spoilers)
His age lines up with the children abducted by the Cult.

(Ao spoilers)
Then there are the theories of Wazy being the one who recommended Ash to Thors Campus Leeves (since he mentions reforming delinquents in Ao?).

Also, we're seven games into the series and met only one out of four S-rank bracers. Totally unrelated, we don't know Toval's bracer rank -- but he's strong enough to be known among Enforcers, hmm.

Melty Bullet is pretty much in line with other powerful AoE skills present in CS1/2, but Acid Charge looks disgusting. 10CP for what basically amounts to +90CP and a significant strength buff? Something's up with him for sure.

All Rean's crafts have been replaced.

PK Gaming

No way. I can't think of a single Craft that would target all enemies in the first two CS games, much less of one priced at 30 CP. You'd spend 40 or 45 CP to hit an L-size area, and you'd like it. Melty Bullet is one letter grade away from being an S-Craft.

Large is pretty much all you need though. Characters like Rean, Millium, Fie dominate with their S+ tier damage skills that have huge range and added effects like delay and a high unbalance rate.

But you're right, relative to her classmates she's really powerful.

Erheller

whoaaaaaaaaaaaa

Nyoro SF

HIS SMILE AND OPTIMISM. GONE.

Thud

Ash is strangely overpowered. With the description for Acid Rage speaking of "drawing out his latent abilities", I doubt he is your average delinquent.

(Zero spoilers)
His age lines up with the children abducted by the Cult.

(Ao spoilers)
Then there are the theories of Łazy being the one who recommended Ash to Thors Campus Leeves (since he mentions reforming delinquents in Ao?).

Also, we're seven games into the series and met only one out of four S-rank bracers. Totally unrelated, we don't know Toval's bracer rank -- but he's strong enough to be known among Enforcers, hmm.

I think you may be right about that.

It was also mentioned somewhere that Ash likes
non-alcoholic drinks
. I can only think about one person that fits the mold.

As for Toval, I thought he was more capable at Arts than even
Rufus
due to Carnelia, but it didn't show yet.

We know that the rank of S class bracers are not revealed to the public. Plus might explain in more detail why Carnelia hangs toys with a lowly bracer :p.

Yes, I remember something like this. It sounds interesting in picture but let's see what they do with the actual character. It feels the characters from class VIII and IX are going to be guests from the sound of it. Also,
we haven't seen Randy being playable so far, have we?

He's going to the dark side isn't he?

Gu4n

Yes, I remember something like this. It sounds interesting in picture but let's see what they do with the actual character. It feels the characters from class VIII and IX are going to be guests from the sound of it. Also,
we haven't seen Randy being playable so far, have we?
(Sen III spoiler)
Musse and Ash will transfer to Class VII a couple of months in.

PK Gaming

>Western fanbase hates you
>(CS2)
Husbando died
>Dog of the military
>Will probably never measure up to Estelle, Kevin or Lloyd
>Forced to part ways with girlfriend
>Improperly learned how to wield a Katana
>Devil Trigger doesn't work properly anymore
>Best friends are mostly gone
>(CS2)
found out his real dad is the universe's biggest asshole

It's no wonder Rean lost his Motivation

I've read that the Japanese fanbase mockingly refer to him as a chuuni, but he enjoys a decent amount of popularity there. According to that Kiseki anniversary poll, he's the 7th most popular male character.

Source: https://www.esterior.net/2014/10/fi...eki-series-tenth-anniversary-national-survey/

For some reason I can't access the page with that link, but I looked for it on google anyways. Interesting stuff here. I was surprised to see the Nord rank 1st as favourite location.

Hadn't seen that poll before. Favorite game and favorite female character align with my own choices. Probably favorite scene as well though I'd have to give that one a lot of thought, but when thinking about it in combination with FC's ending it can't be beaten since those are the 2 pivotal moments in the relationship of those characters and their arc is my favorite aspect of the entire series, just like for many others as this poll clearly shows.
For best male I'd probably go with Kevin, but Olivier is obviously a great choice.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I've read that the Japanese fanbase mockingly refer to him as a chuuni, but he enjoys a decent amount of popularity there. According to that Kiseki anniversary poll, he's the 7th most popular male character.

Source: https://www.esterior.net/2014/10/fin...tional-survey/
LOL @ creepy sheep placing both in "monster you'd least like to meet" and "monster you'd like as a pet"

Also I learned there's an action RPG Kiseki game? Nayuta No Kiseki? What is that, a spin-off? It placed 7th in the game list, I wonder if it's any good...

Laura didn't place in the top female characters, but Alisa did. Poll is trash confirmed

Not really comparable to Tokyo Xanadu, since Nayuta's level designs, action-platforming, and huge variety (without recycling) outclass Toxanadu. Both games focus on different strengths.

Laura didn't place in the top female characters, but Alisa did. Poll is trash confirmed

Laura has next to no character development or personality. Her brief spat with Fie was the most forced thing in the entire game even more so then Alisa landing boobs first in Rean's face in the Prologue.

I say this as someone who likes Laura a lot but she doesn't really have any sort of actual arc or development as a person across the two games. Heck in CS2 her interactions with Duvaile also feel extremely forced with it feeling petty on Duvailes part and Laura acting as stoic about everything as she always does.

We never really see her backstory or her struggling with anything (other then the forced Fie part I mentioned before) it just really hurts her as a character despite how awesome and cool she is, shes just not well rounded and as much crap as Rean gets I'm surprised Laura doesn't get hardly any crap thrown at her way despite having similar problems.

Aters

Laura has next to no character development or personality. Her brief spat with Fie was the most forced thing in the entire game even more so then Alisa landing boobs first in Rean's face in the Prologue.

I say this as someone who likes Laura a lot but she doesn't really have any sort of actual arc or development as a person across the two games. Heck in CS2 her interactions with Duvaile also feel extremely forced with it feeling petty on Duvailes part and Laura acting as stoic about everything as she always does.

We never really see her backstory or her struggling with anything (other then the forced Fie part I mentioned before) it just really hurts her as a character despite how awesome and cool she is, shes just not well rounded and as much crap as Rean gets I'm surprised Laura doesn't get hardly any crap thrown at her way despite having similar problems.

I forgive her insignificance in the story because of her damage output.

Nyoro SF

And her fashion sense is top notch.

Laura is basically an Ys character first and foremost. No time for story beats, just hit things til they die. Some people like that sort of thing, I know I do.

PK Gaming

Laura has next to no character development

Go play through Chapter 4 again. Also watch her scene with Aurelia in CS2 and note how much farther she's come into being her own independent person.

or personality.

If you liked her, how did you miss her very discernible personality traits?

[Her brief spat with Fie was the most forced thing in the entire game even more so then Alisa landing boobs first in Rean's face in the Prologue.

Nah.

We never really see her backstory or her struggling with anything (other then the forced Fie part I mentioned before)

CS1 Chapter 5 feeds you literally everything you need to know about her character. Her upbringing, primary relationships, dreams for the future, her harem... she's a pretty textured character.

it just really hurts her as a character despite how awesome and cool she is, shes just not well rounded and as much crap as Rean gets I'm surprised Laura doesn't get hardly any crap thrown at her way despite having similar problems.

Look I'm probably the biggest Rean fan in this community, but it's hard to justify putting those 2 on the same level. Rean's flaws run deeper than Laura's (even though I think Rean has a much higher ceiling than her as a character). And be honest, "I'm surprised Laura doesn't get hardly any crap thrown her way" is code for "I think she should more hated than Rean due to her flaws."

Laura isn't an amazing character, but she's more than competent. They took an archetype usually reserved for men, applied it to Laura and made it work without feeling trite. She's not as deep as characters like Emma or Alisa, but she doesn't need to be. She occupies a good position in the overall group that is Class VII.

Loz246789

I kind of hate how true this is for me.

Laura makes a great first impression with having an S-craft from the get go, dat attack stat, the scene in the prologue with Machias*, and her calling out Rean in chapter 1, but after that her character kind of stalls. And I say this as someone who likes the thing with Fie.

"Will you ladies be ok in this monster infested dungeon?" "I don't mean to brag, BUT I HAVE A GIANT F***ING SWORD AND KNOW HOW TO USE IT, I think we'll be fine. Let's go, ladies."
...Mild embellishment on my part.

EDIT:I actually don't remember her role in CS2 much, thinking about it. All the more reason to look forward to CS2 PC, I guess!

PK Gaming

EDIT:I actually don't remember her role in CS2 much, thinking about it. All the more reason to look forward to CS2 PC, I guess!

She fades into the background after her recruitment arc (much like the rest of Class VII). The scene I'm referencing is the conversation she has with Aurelia and Wallace. The unpolished, slightly awkward noble from CS1 definitely wouldn't have been able to keep up with the brigadier 2 generals of the
Noble Alliance.
The scene conveys a few important things, like how she has a pretty good understanding of her place in the world, where she needs to be and her calm judgement under pressure. It's not like she's made significant strides in her personality, but she's steadily improved herself from the beginning of CS1.

jb1234

LOL @ creepy sheep placing both in "monster you'd least like to meet" and "monster you'd like as a pet"

Also I learned there's an action RPG Kiseki game? Nayuta No Kiseki? What is that, a spin-off? It placed 7th in the game list, I wonder if it's any good

I enjoyed it, kinda like a slightly slower paced Ys. Story is weak and it's a little too long but it scratched my action RPG itch.

Top Bottom