• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I know this might seem kind of hypocritical considering my Estelle post above, but her absence in Cold Steel was really missed after growing attached to her and the rest of the gang over the course of two games. I was surprised
Olivert
was the only real returning character.

I haven't played the Crossbell games, but I assume she shows up there instead.

I know this might seem kind of hypocritical considering my Estelle post above, but her absence in Cold Steel was really missed after growing attached to her and the rest of the gang over the course of two games. I was surprised
Olivert
was the only real returning character.

I haven't played the Crossbell games, but I assume she shows up there instead.

I mean storywise it makes perfect sense.

Oliviert is definitely toned down and underused in cold steel. His script was basically endless praise, pandering, and his master plans.

Riposte

Is the third
Jaeger
fight in the prologue of SC the only one of its kind on Hard? Because this is very unpleasant and goes on for way too long. I realize Hard was added later, maybe carelessly, but if it doesn't go near this point of luck-based attrition battles where you are severely underarmed and just a slight difficulty boost I wouldn't mind. Otherwise, I'm just going to restart on Normal even if it's likely a tiny bit too easy.

EDIT: Can't say I like the idea of the first one being the norm either.

Aters

Oliviert is definitely toned down and underused in cold steel. His script was basically endless praise, pandering, and his master plans.

And his master plan is basically just "do what you want". I think CS3 will bring back the Oliviert we love because it is supposed to be the finale of the trilogy. He gotta have something in his mind.

Psxphile

Is the third
Jaeger
fight in the prologue of SC the only one of its kind on Hard?
Because this is very unpleasant and goes on for way too long. I realize Hard was added later, maybe carelessly, but if it doesn't go near this point of luck-based attrition battles where you are severely underarmed and just a slight difficulty boost I wouldn't mind. Otherwise, I'm just going to restart on Normal even if it's likely a tiny bit too easy.

EDIT: Can't say I like the idea of the first one being the norm either.

From what I've seen people say about it, seems like it alleviates once you get more party members and/or better quartz. Enough to not be such a pain in the ass.

I like the
fact he still breaks out "Olivier" and the duds as a temporary way to greet new people outside the imperial way. It's even more interesting how his "real me" is. You don't get to engineering a counter to international and byzantine politics by lolligaging around as a flippant dandy.

Bebpo

Banned
And his master plan is basically just "do what you want". I think CS3 will bring back the Oliviert we love because it is supposed to be the finale of the trilogy. He gotta have something in his mind.

Yeah, pretty sure all his good stuff is being saved for CSIII. I mean right now he has better stuff in Crossbell than he has in CS1/2.

omgfloofy

Banned

Of course he's toned down.

SC and Cold Steel spoilers:
You can't have Olivier act the same way in Erebonia as he would in Liberl. He has a reputation that he has to maintain because he's a member of the royal family. If you look at my Translation Tuesday for Star Door 8 in 3rd, you can see that he was already showing that side there, as well.

The only reason he can get away with what he does in FC and SC is because no one in Liberl knows who he is. The moment they do, he doesn't have as much of the silliness that he did before.

And everything he's done in FC and SC were all part of that "master plan" he's running in Cold Steel. So of course it's going to bring focus on that plan, since you're on his home turf now.

So I don't see him as underused at all, as a result.
You're basically seeing him for who he is, instead of the "Olivier act" he puts on for the majority of FC and SC.

Bebpo

Banned
Disagree completely. CS1 spoilers:
In 3rd, in Crossbell, in SC. Even when he puts on a political serious face, Olivert is great and does everything with smarts and style. That very rarely comes through in CS1/2. He's mostly just plays a very boring role, to the point where he could have been replaced by any other character and had the same effect. I remember in one of his first scenes in CS1 with his brother and sister, he should have been having fun and teasing them since they're his younger siblings, but it's so dry. Almost everything in CS1 was really dry, with the dinner being his only good scene in CS1. Also I blame a lot of this on no Mueller as Olivert does.not.work without Mueller. They're a straight man/goofy guy comedy duo.

Also CS2 spoilers
CS2 is kind of bullshit because Olivert is being the good cool Olivert, you see that when he shows up halfway ready to kick some ass on the ship rescue. And then he goes off to kick more ass and be awesome...all off-screen in West Erebonia the entire game, only jumping in one more time for a cool save and that's that.

CS1 was boring Olivert
CS2 was cool Olivert, but all off-screen

CS3 hopefully is cool Olivert but on-screen and with Mueller.

omgfloofy

Banned
I'm spoiler tagging parts of your post in my quotes, because I think there's a little too much, spoiler-wise, for the whole thread. Especially for those in here that haven't finished SC. lol You might want to do the same, too.
I consider using the name Olivert as a spoiler, if they're avoiding CS because they're playing SC.

Disagree completely. In 3rd, in Crossbell, in SC. Even when he puts on a political serious face, Olivert is great and does everything with smarts and style.

I can only think of a handful of scenes when you see the FC/SC style Olivert in 3rd, and these are mostly when he first shows up to see Mueller again, but even that doesn't last long.

That very rarely comes through in CS1/2. He's mostly just plays a very boring role, to the point where he could have been replaced by any other character and had the same effect.

On the other hand, I disagree completely with you on this. (Crossbell Spoilers here, too)
Olivier's parts in Cold Steel are, I think, more reliant on knowing exactly who he is. A lot of what he's doing is based on the events that you see of him in 3rd and in Ao, you can see what he's working on- this is one of the reasons I think it's a disservice to play Cold Steel before the Crossbell games.

I remember in one of his first scenes in CS1 with his brother and sister, he should have been having fun and teasing them since they're his younger siblings, but it's so dry.

There's a bit more 'business at hand' in his first scene. And we've already seen that, despite being an illegitimate son, Olivert does take his position seriously. Even though Cedric and Alfin are his siblings, it's not entirely a casual meeting. Olivier was working with Cedric on his role as the next in line of the throne and he was talking about Alfin's actions for the festival.

Almost everything in CS1 was really dry, with the dinner being his only good scene in CS1. Also I blame a lot of this on no Mueller as Olivert does.not.work without Mueller. They're a straight man/goofy guy comedy duo.

Full series spoilers here:
But the problem is, Olivier is not a 100% comedy character. This is what I'm getting at. Remember, the side that you see of him in FC and SC is basically just an act because he can't let people know that he's an Erebonian prince in Liberl. That'd be kind of stupid. And in Ao, he's playing with the SSS- which sets up for his scene with them in the Trade Conference, IIRC. (Warning: It's been awhile since I've seen that scene in Ao.)

CS2 is kind of bullshit because Olivert is being the good cool Olivert, you see that when he shows up halfway ready to kick some ass on the ship rescue. And then he goes off to kick more ass and be awesome...all off-screen in West Erebonia the entire game, only jumping in one more time for a cool save and that's that.

Series spoilers here:
So by that account, Olivier should've taken over and stolen the show from the game's main cast. Got it. That's the reason why he was taken off screen. Because the game isn't about him. It's about Class VII. And you know that will happen to any previous game characters that show up- they will take over the spotlight. You can see it in every game. Falcom comes up with methods to keep them from doing so. That's why there's a trophy in Zero no Kiseki for beating the final boss below level 40. In order to get that trophy, you have to put Estelle and Joshua in the party for the first fight, let them get killed, and shuffle them to the back with the SSS in charge again, because they'll actually hit level 40 while being passive characters, unless you run from a lot of the fights- which will make it difficult, because I think they're several levels higher than the SSS characters when you get there.

I would love to go as indepth as you guys on Oliviert but clearly I havent played Crossbell and CS2 :(

Ill get there

And to be fair Oliviert does get some cool side dialogue in various places but they are mostly nods and its not like i disagree with your assessment

Obviously the differences in behavior in Erebonia and Liberl are well laid out. Yet even when he went serious in SC he came of as fiery, fierce and cunning. The contrast was very well pronounced.

In CS he seems... almost too laid back and sunny given how large of an issue he was tackling... I dunno he just FELT off and considering he IS the mastermind... they left a lot of his dealings outside the view of the player

I think thats more of a complaint of how the focus was on the main characters perspective and not Oliviert

omgfloofy

Banned
I think thats more of a complaint of how the focus was on the main characters perspective and not Oliviert

I can understand this issue, but at the same time, I think it was entirely on purpose because putting a previous game's character in would most likely cause the earlier character to overshadow the main cast, and it would be a disservice to the new characters.

I would love to go as indepth as you guys on Oliviert but clearly I havent played Crossbell and CS2 :(

Ill get there

And to be fair
Oliviert does get some cool side dialogue in various places but they are mostly nods and its not like i disagree with your assessment

Obviously the differences in behavior in Erebonia and Liberl are well laid out. Yet even when he went serious in SC he came of as fiery, fierce and cunning. The contrast was very well pronounced.

In CS he seems... almost too laid back and sunny given how large of an issue he was tackling... I dunno he just FELT off and considering he IS the mastermind... they left a lot of his dealings outside the view of the player

yeah but when he was acting dastardly and shrewd it stopped once Zechs and the armored division left. I took it to be another exaggerated facet (aka his Public Erebonian Official mode) and that like his loitering romance-hungry dandy mask, its to effect a show.

Nothings a lie in any of them, but i feel the one with his family and that dinner were the closest to the full Oliviert.

Now lessee how i do. :p

Bebpo

Banned
I can understand this issue, but at the same time, I think it was entirely on purpose because putting a previous game's character in would most likely cause the earlier character to overshadow the main cast, and it would be a disservice to the new characters.

I don't think that has to be an issue, and I'm willing to bet Olivert is playable in your party for a decent chunk of CSIII. I mean in Crossbell
Estelle & Joshua in Zero didn't detract from the main party at all, but it was still nice having them since they're good likeable characters.
I think the reason they keep people like Olivert out of the party and spotlight isn't because they'll steal the spotlight but because they want to save their best fan satisfying stuff for the SC game and CSIII/IV? is going to be that for Erebonia.

And to be fair, Falcom has been promising Olivert's main battle since SC/3rd. His Erebonia fight vs.
Oxborn,
It's been built up as his battle, it'd be a total copout to have someone else (Rean) fight it without him. I still think having Olivert in 3rd
throw the flowers and basically say "this is my declaration of war" and then what, 8 years later? we're still waiting for that war to happen is pretty dick of Falcom. They've really been making fans wait. I'm just glad I only played 3rd like 2 years ago so I haven't been waiting 8 years.

Also one of the slight issues I have in Sen 1/2 is how by the time of partway through Sen 1 timeline-wise, Olivert has declared war on Oxborn (we see the flashback to 3rd with the flower throw), and even before then, by FC/SC Olivert doesn't trust Oxborn at all. Yet in CS1/2, Olivert really seems to be totally fine interacting with Oxborn's army & iron-childreen like Claire and the information bureau. I would have expected him to be a lot more suspicious and hostile to them and not team up with them to take down the nobles.

Meffer

Finished CS1 and I'm glad I preordered 2 awhile back. Now it's just the waiting. I'll jump in TiTS FC since I never finish it. I'll get SC to boot.

Gu4n

I don't think that has to be an issue, and I'm willing to bet Olivert is playable in your party for a decent chunk of CSIII. I mean in Crossbell
Estelle & Joshua in Zero didn't detract from the main party at all, but it was still nice having them since they're good likeable characters.
I think the reason they keep people like Olivert out of the party and spotlight isn't because they'll steal the spotlight but because they want to save their best fan satisfying stuff for the SC game and CSIII/IV? is going to be that for Erebonia.

And to be fair, Falcom has been promising Olivert's main battle since SC/3rd. His Erebonia fight vs.
Oxborn,
It's been built up as his battle, it'd be a total copout to have someone else (Rean) fight it without him. I still think having Olivert in 3rd
throw the flowers and basically say "this is my declaration of war" and then what, 8 years later? we're still waiting for that war to happen is pretty dick of Falcom. They've really been making fans wait. I'm just glad I only played 3rd like 2 years ago so I haven't been waiting 8 years.

Also one of the slight issues I have in Sen 1/2 is how by the time of partway through Sen 1 timeline-wise, Olivert has declared war on Oxborn (we see the flashback to 3rd with the flower throw), and even before then, by FC/SC Olivert doesn't trust Oxborn at all. Yet in CS1/2, Olivert really seems to be totally fine interacting with Oxborn's army & iron-childreen like Claire and the information bureau. I would have expected him to be a lot more suspicious and hostile to them and not team up with them to take down the nobles.
Haha, you can't possibly expect
an Imperial prince and a Chancellor to whom the Imperial Prince's father has entrusted his Empire
to engage in a fist fight, now can you? They have the same goal, but approach it differently; one uses soft power, the other hard power (or realpolitik).

I've had Olivier in my party for three games -- I rather have some new characters to learn about under my fingers.

omgfloofy

Banned
lol - my statement about names from before still stands.
Maybe you should try to use Olivier instead of Olivert in posts if you're not going to spoiler block them. Especially with people playing SC in this thread. lol

And to be fair, Falcom has been promising Olivert's main battle since SC/3rd. His Erebonia fight vs. Oxborn, It's been built up as his battle, it'd be a total copout to have someone else (Rean) fight it without him. I still think having Olivert in 3rd throw the flowers and basically say "this is my declaration of war" and then what, 8 years later? we're still waiting for that war to happen is pretty dick of Falcom. They've really been making fans wait. I'm just glad I only played 3rd like 2 years ago so I haven't been waiting 8 years.

Guan put it nicely, but I want to add something else...

3rd made it quite clear that this wasn't going to be a physical battle in the 8th door. but completely political. Did we even read the same events? Olivier's presentation of the Courageous was as much of a 'shots fired' sort of event you can get, for one in this. And it's not something he can do by himself. He is needing to change public perception of the class system. So Class VII is also part of his plan. He's doing the 'everything has got a use' routine, as well, but he's being far, far kinder about it.

If you need a refresher on it, here are my Translation Tuesdays on that event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFdP7YdNov0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZMQkIP5-xE

omgfloofy

Banned
Are they quoting something with that? The thrice part seems odd especially but they've already announced Third. Maybe they just found out they'll be bringing CS3 over too?

As far as I know, Falcom's so protective of their unreleased titles, I don't see it being possible for XSEED to be able to even possibly consider announcing CS3 before it's even out in Japan.

I don't really see a strong connection to any Kiseki games in that.

And I don't see why they'd be teasing Zero when 3rd is still pretty far out. Especially when it's likely to be something in their E3 lineup.

Famassu

I don't really see a strong connection to any Kiseki games in that.

And I don't see why they'd be teasing Zero when 3rd is still pretty far out. Especially when it's likely to be something in their E3 lineup.
Well, technically the "thrice over" & "risky" parts could refer to them taking on the risky endeavour of having three Kiseki games under localization simultaneously or them starting the risky path of localizing the third currently existing story arc of the Trails saga that is the Crossbell arc. I'm not 100% sure on how the different small teams work on these games (as in how people are moved between projects), but I guess it could be possible they have already moved at least the translators of Cold Steel II to work on Trails to Zero considering Cold Steel II has been 100% translated & edited and only QA remains, if they don't need those people on Third.

omgfloofy

Banned
I could wrong, yeah.... but I'm not entirely sure this is Kiseki related, personally. Especially because 'thrice over' makes no sense in this situation, to me. Saying it that way makes me think of the risk having been taken three times over already and succeeded.

There are only three arcs right now to Kiseki, so the risk would be 'twice over' at this point. Unless it's by titles, and that's already at three titles, but with two more in the pipeline, so that would be five times over.

Herla

They thrived with the 3 games they released, the other 2 are unknowns.
And isn't independence a big thing in Crossbell?

I'm just reading what I want to read because I want this to happen so bad.

omgfloofy

Banned
And isn't independence a big thing in Crossbell?

I can't explain it too much without spoilers over the Crossbell arc, but you won't see much of that in Zero no Kiseki. There are other things in the lens during Zero.

I'm just reading what I want to read because I want this to happen so bad.

One thing I constantly say on twitter is to remain hopeful, yet skeptical. I've seen many XSEED teases wildly misinterpreted as a Kiseki tease. My cynicism has gotten the better of me before, but I prefer it to having my hopes dashed by something I didn't care about being the source of the tease.

Bebpo

Banned
Can't see the relation between it and any Trails of games. They get two of them in their pipeline so I doubt they'd tease a third one now. It could make a nice tease for CS3 though.

Yeah, I think getting the rights to CS3 makes the most sense. When CS2 releases they can let people know CS3 is coming soon.

aravuus

The first thing I do when I'm elected as the World President is make localizing every future Kiseki title mandatory. Simultaneous worldwide releases are also encouraged.

Vote Muntu.

zakujanai

Yeah, I think getting the rights to CS3 makes the most sense. When CS2 releases they can let people know CS3 is coming soon.

That's what I thought but floof thinks falcom wouldn't agree to anything until the game is out in Japan.

First thing I do when I win the lotto is fund all the Kiseki games.

I'll do that before I take care of myself.

I'm rooting for you.

The first thing I do when I'm elected as the World President is make localizing every future Kiseki title mandatory. Simultaneous worldwide releases are also encouraged.

Vote Muntu.

You have my vote.

UberTag

Vote Muntu.
xwQCgSq.jpg

omgfloofy

Banned
That's what I thought but floof thinks falcom wouldn't agree to anything until the game is out in Japan.

I seem to recall XSEED actually saying it about Ys in the past- that they have to wait for Falcom to release it. And if they have to wait for Ys, there's absolutely no way that Falcom would agree to XSEED getting a Kiseki game before release.

Kalor

It seemed like people were stretching to link it to Kiseki in the first place so it makes sense it's about something else. It would be crazy to commit to the other games when they are working on CSII and 3rd right now.

omgfloofy

Banned
It seemed like people were stretching to link it to Kiseki in the first place so it makes sense it's about something else. It would be crazy to commit to the other games when they are working on CSII and 3rd right now.

A friend of mine on twitter thinks that it means that XSEED may be doing a commercial release of an indie title. Especially because she pointed out 'independent, we thrive' is 'iwt,' and 'thrice over' turns it into 'iwttt.' - thus my friend thinks that it's 'I Wanna Take The Time-Machine.'

And an indie title called 'I Wanna Take the Time-Machine 2' came out.... last year, I think?

Here's a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbhZGw1t8gI

A friend of mine on twitter thinks that it means that XSEED may be doing a commercial release of an indie title. Especially because she pointed out 'independent, we thrive' is 'iwt,' and 'thrice over' turns it into 'iwttt.' - thus my friend thinks that it's 'I Wanna Take The Time-Machine.'

And an indie title called 'I Wanna Take the Time-Machine 2' came out.... last year, I think?

Here's a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbhZGw1t8gI

I think it's likely multiple things, so that seems like a decent fit for one of them. Seems like an unusual release for Xseed though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
On the feasibility of Crossbell releases - what platform(s) do we think they'd appear on? I assume the Vita versions.

Any reason why the Evolution series never got released? I assume it's due to the voice acting. Is there a lot of textual differences between them and the original TITS games?

Psxphile

They pretty much laid out why it'd never be the Vita versions. Multiple times. I'm sure someone will dig up some quotes. And it's highly unlikely they'll localize the PSP versions of Zero and Ao/Azure, but Zero has a Japanese PC port they can work with. Ao/Azure is honestly the biggest roadblock: Falcom never released a PC version themselves but one was slapped together by a Chinese company that, if I recall correctly, doesn't exist anymore? Or maybe they just no longer have the license (i.e. it's no longer sold)?

We're not absolutely certain they'll bring over the Crossbell arc, but the fact that they're going ahead with The 3rd raises the possibility from 'nah' to 'so you're saying there's a chance' status.

Top Bottom