• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of info on PS5 patches for PS4 games from Sony and third parties is making me rethink my pre-order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Unless things have changed or theirs new incentives from the platform owners, it can cost as much as $40,000 (possibly per platform) just to get a regular patch just made available to download. But that does not account for the time you have to spend to actually make the changes. Employees cost money and these changes aren't always simple as flipping on a switch. Significantly even more money if it's a full fledged remaster like some people here expect for free. They'd have to also make a multiple back on their investment for it to even be worth the risk too because it's hard to tell if there's a bunch of people out there that would even buy your game (that right now is also likely heavily discounted) solely because of the patch. You assume that there's a good amount of people out there that are going to throw money at the game solely because of the patch. It's probably mostly people who already own the PS4 version of games here who just wanted better versions on PS5 who will put $0 in.
Creating the patch is not the expensive part. It's testing it and making sure it doesn't break the game that is expensive.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Unless things have changed or theirs new incentives from the platform owners, it can cost as much as $40,000 (possibly per platform) just to get a regular patch just made available to download. But that does not account for the time you have to spend to actually make the changes. Employees cost money and these changes aren't always simple as flipping on a switch. Significantly even more money if it's a full fledged remaster like some people here expect for free. They'd have to also make a multiple back on their investment for it to even be worth the risk too because it's hard to tell if there's a bunch of people out there that would even buy your game (that right now is also likely heavily discounted) solely because of the patch. You assume that there's a good amount of people out there that are going to throw money at the game solely because of the patch. It's probably mostly people who already own the PS4 version of games here who just wanted better versions on PS5 who will put $0 in.

We're well aware that it costs money to create a patch. It's not free.

When The Last of Us watch patched for the PS4 Pro, it had some graphical and frame-rate issues and it was patched again later on.

If they're unable to create a patch for the PS5, then it's highly unlikely that they would create a patch due to cost. It's likely that they want to resell us the game.

Shmunter

Totally fair enough. After the cross gen antics and the Spider-Man clusterfuck, I’m suspecting Sony may hobble boost mode even if they could force 4k 60 on PS4 games. Instead sell the game again.

No reason to be optimistic at this point in time until Sony proves otherwise.

hussar16

ard, that games bound to FPS have way more issues with latency of ga
What is so hard about raising the resolution of games? They should have a config setting somewhere because PS4 and Pro versions run at different resolutions.

Even if they only use the GPU of the PS5 in BC mode, its higher clocks should be enough for a simple raise of resolution.

Why are people saying that it is so expensive to do that? It's as if on PC you would have to pay to enable 4K resolution in the game settings. That's dumb and lazy by Sony.

And developers need to update their engines to work with the new hardware anyway. Just apply the updates to the new games, and they will run better on PS5. It is no extra cost, they need to do that anyways.

At least do it for your most recent and/or popular games. If they can't even provide a simple upres for their PS+ Collection games, then why even bother? You want to promote your new powerful 4K console with games running at 1440p?
Xbox does this 4k60 bc games why cant Sony

hussar16

Sometimes I think you guys do not want BC, but a remaster for free.

Let's be honest...this is not something MS offers either. There is no level of reworking as Spider-Man will get. Bloodborne will probably be another one to get a remaster too.

Anyway, It's pretty clear Sony will offer some free patches for some games, but it is not their focus.

They are not trying to convince you "Hey, buy this new console to play the best versions of your old games!"

Did they ever say it? Then, who did? Now you know your answer...different approaches.

Meanwhile, Nintendo is selling Mario poor emulation for $60....
Xbox x does it for free

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I held off... waiting for enhanced PS5 version. They said the top 100 PS4 games would be enhanced, I assumed that would include GoT and TLOU II.
Good call. Just wait for a master list.

"Top 100" means nothing. I bet it won't even be 100 anyway. It could be 200. It could be 63.

And top 100 in what? Sales? current active user base? Time played? Nobody knows.

If he's being truthful and literal, among those top 100 will be 8 CODs, 8 FIFAs, 8 Maddens, 8 NBA2k no matter what. So there's 32 games already.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom