• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of ray-traced flagship games is baffling

Ronin_7

Banned
You need big & extremely insane engineering teams to implement Ray Tracing properly & only very few studios can afford this (epic, Insomniac...).

Don't expect ray tracing to be the norm anytime soon.

Edit: + RDNA2 isn't exactly great at Ray Tracing.

Last edited:

Irobot82

I would love to see what idTech could do with raytracing using Vulkan and all their capabilities. I'm always worried Id will be forced to use DX instead since Microsoft owns them now.

Elios83

One of the issues is that you need a really advanced implementation of ray tracing (with GI and reflections) to actually see a meaningful difference because standard rasterization techniques have become really good at faking these things.

In these early gen games where these effects have been tacked on old engines we have seen that the performance hit is too big on current console hardware to allow for a significant implementation, it's mostly ray traced shadows, when there are ray traced reflections they are super low res.

But we know that Epic has done a great job with Lumen on consoles, you can see a big difference in lighting simulation compared to old games and we know the engine runs well on consoles and is being widely adopted. So it's a matter of time until a new generation of games using UE5 are released and we see the benefits. That and developers will learn how to use current hardware better.

The other option is waiting for new hardware with more advanced ray tracing support from AMD. RDNA2 was just first gen ray tracing tech from AMD, it works but it has severe performance limits. RDNA3 is already much better but probably it will take RDNA4 for AMD to be in a good spot.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You need big & extremely insane engineering teams to implement Ray Tracing properly & only very few studios can afford this (epic, Insomniac...).
Meanwhile in the real world:

4A Games with is 150 employees
Not only did they get RTGI to work, they also got the game to run better.

midrange.00_00_22_37.still001.png

metro-exodus-enhanced-edition-6.JPG

Remedy Entertainment:

control-game-nvidia-rtx-ray-tracing-screenshot-001.png

TheFarm 51 - 150 Empolyees:

chernrtx2.jpg

Keoken - 50 employees:

deliver-us-the-moon-fortuna-ray-traced-opaque-reflections-001.png

LightBrick Studios - 50 employees

Lego-Builders-Journey-Credit-Light-Brick-Studio-5@2000x1270.jpg

NeonGiant - 10 Employees

the-ascent-4-2000x1270-1.jpg

Exor Studios - 20 Employees

maxresdefault.jpg

And the list goes on and on.

I don't think the majority care for ray tracing.

& The casual audience certainly can't tell the difference between ray tracing and good SSR.

It was literally a buzz word that you would see people throw out on twitter.

The best thing about this generation has been super fast load times & 60fps games, I don't think I could go back, as it's been a blessing.
It is not that I don't care. I simply don't have the money to spend on a 4090. And I'm not compromising on 60fps.

Top Bottom