• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian early copy impressions thread

renzolama

And The Order was awesome

It was a beautiful, technically astounding, ultimately entertaining (for me) experience that I don't have any problem paying $60 for. I can sympathize with the fact that, in a market where Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition had just been judged as games of the year, a 4-6 hour linear 3rd person shooter with QTE boss fights would not be an acceptable value proposition for the majority of customers. Regardless, I do hope that TLG doesn't end up brokering any future comparisons with it because that would be a big fall from the response to their previous games.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
How is it different than buying and playing the game regularly? These are people getting their preorder early or getting the game from stores that broke street date or whatnot
How many times have we seen glowing early impressions from GAF users only to have those same users eventually do a 180? It's very common to subconsciously justify a purchase. Of course, I'm not saying everyone is like that, but I definitely take early impressions with a grain of salt.

How many times have we seen glowing early impressions from GAF users only to have those same users eventually do a 180? It's very common to subconsciously justify a purchase. Of course, I'm not saying everyone is like that, but I definitely take early impressions with a grain of salt.
Early impressions as in getting the game early, the majority of impressions have been from people who already finished the game

bigmac996

Alright so I'm about 3 or 4 hours into the game so far. Still think I'm pretty much at the beginning because I've taken it pretty slow. First off, the game is beautiful, Toriko moves amazingly, the boy does as well. I don't think I've ever seen ragdoll physics like this. I feel down a cliffside and the way the boy bounced around on the rocks was eerily realistic and a bit disturbing. Love the way Trico moves and acts like an animal. He is a bit stubborn, so you'll need a bit of patience with this game. The puzzles are also spectacular even at this early stage. Everything feels organic, like the solutions aren't spelled out to you and it feels less like a straight up puzzle-to-puzzle type game but something that flows way more naturally.

So generally positive so far. Feels like an Ueda game and the atmosphere is incredible. I'm a bit put off by the camera control, especially in tight areas. They seem to solve some of it by just making the screen fade to back if the camera goes awry, but moments like this are few and far between (so far). You can change the camera control speed in the options to help a bit, but it still feels off. The controls, as many would expect, are a bit janky. I've only really had some frustration at times with climbing Trico.

But yeah, from the first few hours, the game opens with a unique mechanic I haven't seen in any previews yet, and a bit more in-your-face storytelling than what I'm typically used to in an Ueda game (still subtle though). I can't wait to dive back in and keep going forward. Might take a bit because I love just petting Trico so much haha.

If anyone has any questions let me know. OH and also, there are, as of now, no ps4pro options in the menus that I can see. Might be automatic?

KodaRuss

Alright so I'm about 3 or 4 hours into the game so far. Still think I'm pretty much at the beginning because I've taken it pretty slow. First off, the game is beautiful, Toriko moves amazingly, the boy does as well. I don't think I've ever seen ragdoll physics like this. I feel down a cliffside and the way the boy bounced around on the rocks was eerily realistic and a bit disturbing. Love the way Trico moves and acts like an animal. He is a bit stubborn, so you'll need a bit of patience with this game. The puzzles are also spectacular even at this early stage. Everything feels organic, like the solutions aren't spelled out to you and it feels less like a straight up puzzle-to-puzzle type game but something that flows way more naturally.

So generally positive so far. Feels like an Ueda game and the atmosphere is incredible. I'm a bit put off by the camera control, especially in tight areas. They seem to solve some of it by just making the screen fade to back if the camera goes awry, but moments like this are few and far between (so far). You can change the camera control speed in the options to help a bit, but it still feels off. The controls, as many would expect, are a bit janky. I've only really had some frustration at times with climbing Trico.

But yeah, from the first few hours, the game opens with a unique mechanic I haven't seen in any previews yet, and a bit more in-your-face storytelling than what I'm typically used to in an Ueda game (still subtle though). I can't wait to dive back in and keep going forward. Might take a bit because I love just petting Trico so much haha.

If anyone has any questions let me know. OH and also, there are, as of now, no ps4pro options in the menus that I can see. Might be automatic?

How is the framerate? I assume you got the newest patch? 1.1 or 1.01?

nikos

Glad to see positive impressions. I have a feeling it'll be exactly what I'm expecting it to be.

So tempted to grab an early copy, but I'm holding out for Best Buy's B2G1 sale. Have the day off on Tuesday, so it'll be worth the wait. What's another few days after a decade?

eXistor

Sounds exactly like the game I've been expecting and wanting all these years. Can't wait...actually, I'm probably gonna wait. I'm buying the CE day-1, I'm knee-deep in FFXV right now and I at least want to finish the main story first and then focus on TLG completely.

silva1991

Amazing impressions!

bigmac996

How is the framerate? I assume you got the newest patch? 1.1 or 1.01?
Hey! The patch is version 1.01 and the framerate is rock solid as far as i can see at 30fps. I dont have a keen eye for that stuff but havent noticed any dips. Playing on a pro in 1080p.

Peterthumpa

Hey! The patch is version 1.01 and the framerate is rock solid as far as i can see at 30fps. I dont have a keen eye for that stuff but havent noticed any dips. Playing on a pro in 1080p.

How's the IQ on the Pro? Can you share a non-spoilerish PNG taken during gameplay? Awesome impressions by the way.

Rozart

Can anyone tell me how many chainguns you can equip on Trico at the same time?

Hahaha

Loving the impressions so far. I'm glad and a lil relieved tbh that impressions have been positive. I mean if FFXV managed to live up to my expectations, I'm pretty sure TLG will be able to do it too. Seriously cannot wait for next week.

KodaRuss

Nice, I am really damn excited for this. Got the CE coming next week.

Bigmac, I see you mention that you can pet him, but is that extent of the player-directed bonding interactions? A yes or no is good enough,

Would be cool if you could play fetch with items in the world or lay down with him and just relax to take in the atmosphere

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Bigmac, I see you mention that you can pet him, but is that extent of the player-directed bonding interactions? A yes or no is good enough,

Would be cool if you could play fetch with items in the world or lay down him and just relax to take in the atmosphere

You can play red rocket as well.

Loudninja

Would be cool if you could play fetch with items in the world or lay down him and just relax to take in the atmosphere
That would be awesome.

Xliskin

How big is it ?? 20GB or over

bigmac996

How's the IQ on the Pro? Can you share a non-spoilerish PNG taken during gameplay? Awesome impressions by the way.

Hey thanks! IQ looks pretty good! A lot of motion blur in photos since Trico's feathers are always blowing around. I took some shots but the png files are pretty massive. Any recommendations on places to upload? Also not sure if the game is running downsampled from 4k yet, but I guess my pngs would be enough evidence for that.

How big is it ?? 20GB or over

Hey, just checked and it's exactly 13.76gb!

Would be cool if you could play fetch with items in the world or lay down with him and just relax to take in the atmosphere

From what I've played, it's a no so far. Might change though, or I haven't figured out how to do other things. I love the relaxing and fetch ideas.

Peterthumpa

Hey thanks! IQ looks pretty good! A lot of motion blur in photos since Trico's feathers are always blowing around. I took some shots but the png files are pretty massive. Any recommendations on places to upload? Also not sure if the game is running downsampled from 4k yet, but I guess my pngs would be enough evidence for that.

Thanks! abload.de is THE place to upload these PS4 PNGs. It's in German, put pretty easy to figure out. Just click on "Bildarchive", choose the file and click "Abload!". You should get the links as soon as the upload is done.

john tv

I'm maybe 3 hours in? It's fantastic so far IMO. Haven't been following media on it too closely (on purpose), and I really loved Ico and SotC, so make of that what you will. Game looks beautiful, sounds beautiful, feels beautiful. Parts of it are darker than I expected, too. Minor spoiler:
The Japanese name of the game makes a lot more sense now that I've played a few hours, heh.

I'm sorry it takes Ueda so long to get games out, because his stuff is really touching. Can't wait to play more tonight. <3

Not understanding the chat about 12 hours or even if its 8-12. I could understand people saying "give me 4-5 good hours" as if the notion is short but high quality but "give me 12 good hours" as if its on the short side? We're seriously at a point where 8-12 hours is deemed light? Come on now, since when did 8-12 hours become the new 4-5?

silva1991

I'm maybe 3 hours in? It's fantastic so far IMO. Haven't been following media on it too closely (on purpose), and I really loved Ico and SotC, so make of that what you will. Game looks beautiful, sounds beautiful, feels beautiful. Parts of it are darker than I expected, too. Minor spoiler:
The Japanese name of the game makes a lot more sense now that I've played a few hours, heh.

I'm sorry it takes Ueda so long to get games out, because his stuff is really touching. Can't wait to play more tonight. <3

First mod impressions and it's good. I can't wait for Y2kev's later today.

john tv

Two additional thoughts:

1. The game controls pretty much exactly the same as before, so if you didn't like controls before, you won't like them now (tho climbing on a moving object is easier now than it was in SotC, at least). The camera is still occasionally annoying in constrained places, but hasn't been too bad thus far. (That said, the in-game control "help" pops up a lot more often in this one, which I actually don't really like, BUT it has turned out to be helpful a number of times...)

2. I think you will appreciate this game a little bit more if you've ever had a pet. :)

bigmac996

Thanks! abload.de is THE place to upload these PS4 PNGs. It's in German, put pretty easy to figure out. Just click on "Bildarchive", choose the file and click "Abload!". You should get the links as soon as the upload is done.

Awesome! Here are the images I captured on my ps4pro. Doesn't look downsampled though. Also no spoilers!:

thelastguardian_20161zqjxr.png

thelastguardian_20161eljhr.png

thelastguardian_201617bsb0.png

Hell yeah! This is the first of Ueda's work where it genuinely feels like I'm playing a Ghibli movie. So refreshing to have this among the crop of shooters and other recent AAA games.

Don't you think this will be a relict of times long gone? I somehow have the feeling a game like this wouldn't be greenlit today on a bigger scale than maybe some indie production. I'm so glad it's actually really coming to the players. :O

Two additional thoughts:

1. The game controls pretty much exactly the same as before, so if you didn't like controls before, you won't like them now (tho climbing on a moving object is easier now than it was in SotC, at least). The camera is still occasionally annoying in constrained places, but hasn't been too bad thus far. (That said, the in-game control "help" pops up a lot more often in this one, which I actually don't really like, BUT it has turned out to be helpful a number of times...)

2. I think you will appreciate this game a little bit more if you've ever had a pet. :)

YES. I know it seems real obvious, but this can't be emphasized enough. Has me missing my old cat, Lucy. :[

Has HDR been implemented yet?

Yes, it has.

Top Bottom