• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian Gameplay Demo (E3 2015) (PS4)

Oh my god you guyysssssss!

tumblr_ng7wuahJz11thh9kgo1_1280.png

SOURCE : http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=47451985

UrbanRats

I wonder if it's pet owners vs. people who don't have a pet. I don't see how a dog/cat owner could look at the video and not be immediately taken with how the animal moves. By far the most realistic representation of an animal I've seen in a game.

Before that, they still had the crown with Agro.
Not as perfectly animated, but in terms of feeling like a live beast, instead of a puppet you control, it had no rivals.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Everyone complaining about Toriko's new growl being one man + one woman human screaming are forgetting that is what Dormin's voice was made of too. :)

alienator

i swear, if this magnificient a.i creature dies at the ending of TLG , it will be the first time in my 25+ years of gaming that i will cry my eyes out, from a videogame emotion.

yep, theyre on my ps3 and no, i didnt like them either although SotC was a bit more passable with its improved framerate

Then this is probably not for you, which is fine. These games, the storytelling, and art style are not for everyone. Ueda has a dedicated following, and the re-reveal is everything and then some of what we have long been waiting for.

Ueda games remind me a bit of Terrence Malick movies. Some people just don't get them and view them as pretentious and "slow." Then others are deeply moved by them and it sticks with them for a long time.

That's fine if you don't think it looks good, but it's going to be an awesome game for those who like Ueda games.

Sequiel

Banned
Ueda games remind me a bit of Terrence Malick movies. Some people just don't get them and view them as pretentious and "slow." Then others are deeply moved by them and it sticks with them for a long time.

That's fine if you don't think it looks good, but it's going to be an awesome game for those who like Ueda games.

Haven't thought about it before, but this is a perfect comparision.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Fantastic comparison.

ICO and SotC still move me to this day.

To all the people saying this game looks last gen can someone please show me an example of a in game character being animated like this on the 360??

The animation is second to non it's simply stunning and in no way could be executed to that level of detail on last gen consoles

Yeah, they're just crazy if they think it looks last gen. The animation is godly.

That E3 're-reveal' trailer is at 2.4 million views, just barely below UC4's trailer of 2.5 million.

The Last Guardian Thirst is real.

Wow if so. That's great to see.

I'm sure it has been talked about, but I just downloaded the Gamersyde trailer for TLG. Do yourself a favor and watch it. What they showed on the stream looked terrible for some reason. The Gamersyde HD trailer is glorious. It is definitely a PS4 game. No way a PS3 could run what is showing there.

I'm sure it has been talked about, but I just downloaded the Gamersyde trailer for TLG. Do yourself a favor and watch it. What they showed on the stream looked terrible for some reason. The Gamersyde HD trailer is glorious. It is definitely a PS4 game. No way a PS3 could run what is showing there.

To be fair, the PS3 couldn't even run the game when it was actually for it. :p

Gono

Banned
Is there a thread to talk about theories and possible spoilers of Last Guardian and Ico.. and Shadow Of The Colossus ? (all games are connected somehow)

Gono

Banned

Yeah, watched it yesterday and... the animation of the griffin is unbelievable. Also the way feathers react to his movements and the wind?

jonah-hill-shock.gif

It was obvious, they were way too ambitious with the design of the griffin. PS3 just couldn't handle it.

I reeeeeeally want this fucking game to sell a ton. We need more games like this to be popular right now.

Does anyone know how well the last two did financially?

I feel this will sell the best just because of the legacy of the delay...but I wonder how much it needs to sell to break even and how much it has cost so far

Everyone complaining about Toriko's new growl being one man + one woman human screaming are forgetting that is what Dormin's voice was made of too. :)

Omg the theories. I love them so much.

Wonder if this story explains the origin of the horns.

Loved the earlier theory that trico is a demon

Amir0x

Banned
^ i hope whatever possible connections there are between Last Guardian and ICO/Shadow of the Colossus that it's ambiguous as always, and left for the player's imagination to fill in the blanks

so many amazing little animations through just the 6 minute trailer. It's really insane. I've caught like two dozen little details that just made me do a double take because someone must have observed cats and dogs for like ever to make a fantasy creature move that believably in a game

Jachaos

I just want to mention that I love your avatar and laughed out loud when I saw it last Monday.

Griss

Yeah, as to the animation - some people were saying they still see the PS3 roots of the game or whatever but when I see Trico move around the place my eyes tell me that this is the most next-gen thing by far I've yet seen.

It's both movingly beautiful and stunningly impressive technically in terms of animation (and probably AI). I absolutely can't wait, and I hope they reveal very little else until release. We've seen enough. I'm there the second it comes out.

I honestly do not know what some of you are smoking, but the game looks great to me. The visuals do not pack the immediate punch an AAA title would throw at you, but the aesthetics create an undeniable charm; the minimalistic approach works best in the context of this tale, and the animations are simly gorgeous, from the carttony behaviour of the child, to the feline and canine attitude of the creature.
I feel sad, however, because of the thought that this is the last Team Ico project that will be released under the banner of the Playstation. I hope and expect that the emotional journey we will embark on will be worth the wait...

I think part of the reason for the split in opinion is that the game isn't going for photorealism - it has a subtle but distinct stylized art direction, and much like Ico and SOTC, that slightly gray and foggy overtone to it.

Maybe people were expecting it to look like The Witcher 3 or something

Gono

Banned
I think that's what makes the design of the creature so devious. They've created something that many pet owners will resonate with and found a way to blend characteristics. Like others, I see a lot of my cat in Trico, and other see behaviors and movements that they'd recognize in their dogs. Ever since the game was teased, I couldn't help but think how much Trico reminded me of my cat and how it looked like my cat when he was a kitten (because he had a small head and huge ears since he was a desert cat). He has passed away since then, so maybe that's why I couldn't give up all hope on the game. I look forward to being emotionally destroyed when it comes out.

Same here. Turns out the first TLG trailer was released a little after (a month or so) I was given a gift: my first pet, a 3 months old border collie with huge pointy ears and a really long tail, and.. well, he's 7 years old now, and I love him more than anything.

As you, I see a lot of my dog in TLG's griffin. They did an amazing work with the animation, it's just out of this world. Many pet owners will get incredibly connected and emotionally involved with this game and its (probably) tearful story.

kurahador

I think part of the reason for the split in opinion is that the game isn't going for photorealism - it has a subtle but distinct stylized art direction, and much like Ico and SOTC, that slightly gray and foggy overtone to it.

Maybe people were expecting it to look like The Witcher 3 or something

More like this style of games has settled into indie crowd over years. It's been 6 years since the reveal trailer after all.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Talked to a non gaming friend yesterday. He watched some roundup of E3 announcements (they are all over various tech sides). He told me that the only thing that in his eyes looked fresh and interesting was the game with the feather cat/dog and that he was impressed how, for once, an animal got brought to life by programming. He's a programer himself.

Strike

a2e596e839080704143fe0115408d8d7.jpg

...but I'm glad to finally see it again. I never gave up hope. I'm very happy to hear that despite its tumultuous development, it was still able to maintain Ueda's original vision. Looks just as beautiful as it did when it was revealed. It seems like the wait is almost over..

Seriously I can't get over how beautiful the animations in this game are.

The way the two react to each other is really stunning. Love all the little details in the animation (like the way Trico is anticipating the boy's jump).

Also I made a few more gifs:

AcademicKeenHyrax.gif

DeficientSpecificAnemonecrab.gif

SpiritedShockingDamselfly.gif

CourageousBaggyAntarcticfurseal.gif

FarawayTightLadybird.gif

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
More like this style of games has settled into indie crowd over years. It's been 6 years since the reveal trailer after all.
This visual style still seems pretty unique to this team. What indie games have emulated this visual style in the past 6 years?

Amir0x

Banned

And yet, not one indie game has the style of this game. And no games period have animation this good for any character.

Weird, that.

I sweaer to god there better not be a death moment in this game.

I can tell I'm going to get REALLY attached to this thing with all the various animations and sounds it makes during your journey. Hell I got attached to Argo during SoTC. And this thing is 100x better animated.

Will be an Artax moment

Am I wrong if I'm more exited about this than FFVII remake?

Well, the remake won't be out for a good few years yet, and all we've got to go on is a two minute teaser trailer. On the other hand, TLG is out next year (hopefully!), and the six minute gameplay demo offers lots of reasons to be excited. So no, you're not wrong.

Top Bottom