• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian Gameplay Demo (E3 2015) (PS4)

Do most people agree that this was a good gameplay demo? It seems like a quiet portion of the game or just traversal from point a to point b. I dunno... I just didn't feel it was anything special. I still hold out hope and probably the most disappointing portion of the presentation was no release date. My guess is holiday of next year but yeah it was disappointing to see it again just to be left waiting when it will actually release.

I thought it was brilliant actually. The way that they managed to communicate the mechanics to you without ever putting in prompts on screen was really something we'd missed last gen. The boy runs to the edge where there's a huge gap and just starts to jump a few times, which signals to Trico that the boy wants it to jump across. It's something so simple, yet it makes sense if you've ever tried to teach an animal to do tricks of something. If you've tired to teach a dog to jump, then you'll jump as a visual aid to show them that's what you want them to do. Then you have the next part where Trico freaks out when it sees that thing on the cart. It's something that sends a signal to the player that they need to get rid of it because it's upsetting Trico.

Even the little end part where it's trying to keep a grip on that little platform, it's a small signal to the player that it needs something to grab onto, which is why the boy pushes that log forward so it can grab onto that. GameInformer described the sequence that starts before the E3 demo and the mentioned how it's Trico and the boy in a small room and the boy is feeding it barrels. Eventually the boy starts to lay the barrels out in a direction that he wants Trico to go in. Basically you're laying out treats for it. They even speculated that there's a sound Trico makes when its ready to catch you. So it's not just that it turns around, it gives you a sound queue that it's ready to catch you.

I just really liked it. It's obviously much more like ICO than SotC in terms of what direction they're going in. SotC was pure action, while it's clear that with TLG they're once again going with the angle that you're a kid and really don't have much power. You need Trico to really make it around. So it's going to be very puzzle oriented. Which i'm all for.

Trico probably has the most complex character model ever right? He's huge and he's got all these moving feathers and moves so naturally.

I'd say it easily is. I really can't think of another game where everything about it really hinges on whether or not that AI works properly. If Trico doesn't work, the game fails. It's that simple. How many developers are really willing to risk their entire game on a single AI character working properly? We barely even see many AI advancements from generation to generation, and yet here's a game where everything is riding on AI working properly.

G9EmT7U.gif

Trico is easily the best animated creature in all of gaming if not just flat out the best animated character full-stop. Never seen such natural expression of fear in a game character.

I love the fact that his eyes glow back to normal the moment you call him, like a dog being assured he is guided by his owner. The scary part about it is that you have no leash to pull or control him once things get at out of hand.

Can you imagine what would happen if he was forced under severe circumstances like being ambushed and attacked multiple sides. I wonder if he would lose himself and starts attacking you in the process and, upon realizing it he goes up to you, eyes glow back to normal then sadness, a whimper as he tries to lick you. All this, happening within an AI reacted sequence. That right there, is hair-raising material. Fuck me, if shit like this didn't happen, you know it will. Game of the Generation, I'm telling you.

I'd say it easily is. I really can't think of another game where everything about it really hinges on whether or not that AI works properly. If Trico doesn't work, the game fails. It's that simple. How many developers are really willing to risk their entire game on a single AI character working properly? We barely even see many AI advancements from generation to generation, and yet here's a game where everything is riding on AI working properly.

From a small team no less.

Thanati

holy shit. Fucking phenomenal.

Also...I know the creature is called Triico, but it seems it's native name is "Eobai" or "Durgu"? That may be just the native language to beckon or call to someone though in the game...

It's good but why is it phenomenal?

There are only two characters animated on the screen here. There is a camera moving and that's it. Now sure, the pet's fur etc is animated too, but it's not a really intense scene.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I love the fact that his eyes glow back to normal the moment you call him, like a dog being assured he is guided by his owner. The scary part about it is that you have no leash to pull or control him once things get at out of hand.

Can you imagine what would happen if he was forced under severe circumstances like being ambushed and attacked multiple sides. I wonder if he would lose himself and starts attacking you in the process and, upon realizing it he goes up to you, eyes glow back to normal then sadness, a whimper as he tries to lick you. All this, happening within an AI reacted sequence. That right there, is hair-raising material. Fuck me, if shit like this didn't happen, you know it will. Game of the Generation, I'm telling you.

This may be the first game that actually makes a grown man cry (speaking of myself).

It's good but why is it phenomenal?

There are only two characters animated on the screen here. There is a camera moving and that's it. Now sure, the pet's fur etc is animated too, but it's not a really intense scene.

Name one character as complex as Toriko.

Look up Rime and Vane, they look pretty cool and devs said themselves they are completely inspired by Ueda's work (hell, Vane is made partly by ex- SotC employees).

Ueda has influenced so many people, we're bound to get a few indies and mid-sized title that will follow in his footsteps.

Although yes, i'd be curious as well as to what he plans to do after The Last Guardian

i've seen those games and while I can see the inspiration, nothing out there quite matches what Ueda and his team does.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Almost everything in that scene is animated. Every blade of grass, every vine on the walls, cobblestones and wooden planks wobble and shake as the animal walks over them, whole bridge wobbles and and eventually crushes under its weight. There's seemingly not one thing in the scene that is not, or cannot become animated if your character interact with it.

The way it moves and reacts reminds me so much of my dog I swear.
I think that's what makes the design of the creature so devious. They've created something that many pet owners will resonate with and found a way to blend characteristics. Like others, I see a lot of my cat in Trico, and other see behaviors and movements that they'd recognize in their dogs. Ever since the game was teased, I couldn't help but think how much Trico reminded me of my cat and how it looked like my cat when he was a kitten (because he had a small head and huge ears since he was a desert cat). He has passed away since then, so maybe that's why I couldn't give up all hope on the game. I look forward to being emotionally destroyed when it comes out.

Jachaos

I think that's what makes the design of the creature so devious. They've created something that many pet owners will resonate with and found a way to blend characteristics. Like others, I see a lot of my cat in Trico, and other see behaviors and movements that they'd recognize in their dogs. Ever since the game was teased, I couldn't help but think how much Trico reminded me of my cat and how it looked like my cat when he was a kitten (because he had a small head and huge ears since he was a desert cat). He has passed away since then, so maybe that's why I couldn't give up all hope on the game. I look forward to being emotionally destroyed when it comes out.

Yes, the animations are very life-like for a pet. It's probably one of the most convincing, immersive representation of the relationship between a human and an animal I've seen games yet. Sorry for your loss by the way, I've lost a few over the years and I too look forward to how this game will grab me when it launches.

pixelation

How i love Ueda's work, it's like wandering trough the longest desert (of the same old tired shootey bang bangs) and becoming incredibly thirsty... and finally finding a source of tasty drinkable water.

Lemonte

Gen Design website has maybe spoiler....
Trico's skeleton :( or it's not Trico since skeleton has much longer horns.

Shin-Ra

The swaying ivy looks really great.

Here's the E3 screenshots in PNG format again, just incase Eurogamer removes them.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3933/18973667382_01eca7de45_o.png
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3904/18791392588_0995fbe674_o.png
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/258/18952801266_2ff5b3180d_o.png
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3820/18952801006_91a3cd8b3b_o.png
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3835/18791361620_deb8464125_o.png
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/522/18979052845_135828fa07_o.png
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/533/18358393193_cb443f959e_o.png
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/344/18356479964_b13a8c3efb_o.png

Actually no. It's just a couple of (western) artists who helped with TLG.

But yeah, Rime, Vane and Journey have strong Team ICO vibes. There's also Torne but it's pretty bad. Titan Souls is like an indie, 2D isometric version of SotC.

None of the above was/will be as good as Team ICO's titles tho, NONE. In fact, I'm thinking about quitting gaming altogether after TLG because nothing will ever match it, NOTHING.
Torne?
QwGzhk.png

Yes, the animations are very life-like for a pet. It's probably one of the most convincing, immersive representation of the relationship between a human and an animal I've seen games yet. Sorry for your loss by the way, I've lost a few over the years and I too look forward to how this game will grab me when it launches.
Thanks. I don't know how you managed to go through it more than once. It really put into perspective just how long this game has been AWOL for.

Spinluck

I said it before, and I'll say it again.

This is some of the best animation I've seen in a game. Glad people are noticing, I think animation is often overlooked in games since it never seems to be the priority outside of certain genres where it really matters (fighters). I'm glad to see it turn out great so far. My minor complaint is the camera, could use some work.

Is 60fps a possibility? The game looks fine to me, but if this isn't 60fps I would guess it's by design? Doesn't seem like something the PS4 couldn't handle.

I-hate-u

Just realized in the beginning, did the kid jump in place to make Trico,
who is totally a Yorda/colossi hybrid,
jump the ledge?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Hoo boy those HD pictures.

Can't wait for this. Also, with everyone and their moms thinking either boy or creature will die in this game, I wonder if it would be too obvious and they might just both survive. Please?

Nordicus

Trico will probably replace Agro ( that horse is still unmatched nowadays ) as the most real animal ever seen in a videogame
Look at his reaction here, where the boy jump for the first time
giphy.gif

that expression, that posture ... Trico is really something else

sorry for the shitty loop in the gif :p
I love how Trico adjusts its front legs right after the slowmo kicks in

hesido

I love how Trico adjusts its front legs right after the slowmo kicks in

Really wow, the re-adjustment of posture after the jump to better position itself for the catch.

The catch itself is somewhat too precise for my suspense of disbelief . If the boy held something as an extension and trico caught that, it could be better?

The amount of AI driven animation required for this game should be staggering though, we are talking about a quadruped giant here. Not like a human sized npc going up the stairs. Though the animations are probably animator driven for the set pieces, which should also be very time consuming.

I said it before, and I'll say it again.

This is some of the best animation I've seen in a game. Glad people are noticing, I think animation is often overlooked in games since it never seems to be the priority outside of certain genres where it really matters (fighters). I'm glad to see it turn out great so far. My minor complaint is the camera, could use some work.

Is 60fps a possibility? The game looks fine to me, but if this isn't 60fps I would guess it's by design? Doesn't seem like something the PS4 couldn't handle.

It was already struggling that hard on the PS3. Nevermind TLOU can have frame-rate dips on the PS4 and that was the most the best ND could do for the system. People should really look beyond high-res textures and tessellation and what not that can affect performance of the PS4. The integration of AI and physics would be the biggest culprits for this game.

Salaadin

I love the chirp he does when he leans forward and is ready to catch the boy. It reminds me of the noise my cat makes when he wants to be fed.

Thanati

Almost everything in that scene is animated. Every blade of grass, every vine on the walls, cobblestones and wooden planks wobble and shake as the animal walks over them, whole bridge wobbles and and eventually crushes under its weight. There's seemingly not one thing in the scene that is not, or cannot become animated if your character interact with it.

Now that is simply not true. I work in game dev and there is no way that EVERY vine and blade of grass is animated. Trust me on this.

Issun23

Physics based engine then.

Yes, they've been using a new physics based engine since the 2009 version. Grass, flowers, fire, etc. 'simply' react to wind.

Another example:

"This game, unlike the previous ones, runs on a full physics engine, but it's not just for the purposes of technology," he noted. "I think it's important that any piece of technology you use contributes to the themes you're trying to express. We're very serious about this -- for example, in the scene [in the trailer] where the eagle grabs the barrel and swallows it, that's not simple animation; the barrel makes interactive contact with his mouth, and physical momentum drives it down his throat."
- 1UP

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
G9EmT7U.gif

Trico is easily the best animated creature in all of gaming if not just flat out the best animated character full-stop. Never seen such natural expression of fear in a game character.

This would be a hell of a dark souls/bloodbourne boss. The way it animates, the feathers.

To all the people saying this game looks last gen can someone please show me an example of a in game character being animated like this on the 360??

The animation is second to non it's simply stunning and in no way could be executed to that level of detail on last gen consoles

Apathy

Now that is simply not true. I work in game dev and there is no way that EVERY vine and blade of grass is animated. Trust me on this.

For someone claiming that what they showed was not impressive and there is no way they could do things, and also being in game development, I would love to see your work to compare, I mean you must be working on Crysis 4 or something right!?!

Why is the kid a different art style than the rest of the game. Shit is messing with my eyes.

I think it's just to make him stand out from the environment since sometimes the camera can be pretty far away.

Anyway, the animation is indeed absolutely mindblowing and since it's an aspect I value a lot I'm really pleased with it.

The catch itself is somewhat too precise for my suspense of disbelief . If the boy held something as an extension and trico caught that, it could be better?

I agree, it looks like it's going to bite the kid's head off by accident lol.

Man was that underwhelming and slow. The main character's movements and animation were choppy, the camera movement was stiff, the graphics were barely above PS3 level, the feathers looked awful, and the gameplay looked slower and more boring than Ico.

And that voice acting was annoying as shit.

Hopefully that was not representative of the final game.

and the title "the last guardian", please.. there's probably 1200 better titles out there. right?

acm2000

at least there appears to actually be some gameplay to it now, rather than just a tech demo.

I really dont see the appeal of this tho, graphics havent been upgraded over the ps3 tech demo, gameplay looks slow and will probably get boring fast and whoever designed those feathers has clearly never seen an animal covered in real feathers.

but, each to their own, i guess.

raviolico

at least there appears to actually be some gameplay to it now, rather than just a tech demo.

I really dont see the appeal of this tho, graphics havent been upgraded over the ps3 tech demo, gameplay looks slow and will probably get boring fast and whoever designed those feathers has clearly never seen an animal covered in real feathers.

but, each to their own, i guess.

Yup....btw, have you played ICO/SotC?

More gifs because shit I love the animation in this game.

8AssA2Q.gif

The way different parts of the boy's body bob up and down make me think this is partially affected by inverse kinematics almost.

G9EmT7U.gif

xMlslAs.gif

The stretch, the tension in his muscles, dem feathers.

bMDT9Sk.gif

The way it moves and reacts reminds me so much of my dog I swear.

No, that its name. The japanese title of the game is "Trico, the Man-eating Eagle"

This deserves its own thread. The animations are the best I've seen.

Thank you Ueda for sticking with your initial vision after experiencing development hell... The PS4 can now technically complete his masterpiece..

Game4life

Banned
Trico is already the most endearing AI companion I have ever seen just by showing a few minutes of gameplay. Cant wait to play this masterpiece in full.

Top Bottom