• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Agram

1ody5v.png

2nvyqx.png

The completion of the Last Guardian’s development cycle, which has given it its legendary status, is somewhat of a miracle. What originally began as a simple project ended up as one of the most anticipated games ever, no doubt partially a result of the wait. However, while development has been extended, most creative work was done years ago and the developers waited for more powerful hardware. For a trip down old memory lane, here's a timeline of the project:

Team Ico starts working on Project Trico.

Team Ico shares the first teaser image, states it is heading to PS3.
Fumito Ueda says the new project has a long way to go before finishing development.
NeoGAF user Jonsoncao shares world's first info on the new project, no one believes him, gets banned.
come from a pen friend of mine in SCEE

- TRICO is the project name for the sequel of ICO
return to the gameplay of ICO, adding the elements in Shadows of Colossus, like climbing
a kid together with a half-cat half-bird behemoth like animal, their journey through some spectacular ancient ruins
spectacular graphics and epic music
his comments: seems to uncover the untold emotional links of those two characs in Shadows of Colossus

Fumito Ueda says the essence of the new project will be similar to Ico.
PlayStation LifeStyle leaks first footage from Project Trico (very early version).
Sony officially announces the project's real name The Last Guardian with the game's first trailer. No release date yet.
Game shows up at TGS 2009 with a behind-the-scenes footage and a new trailer.

TLG skips E3, but appears at TGS 2010 with a new trailer and a promise for a Holiday 2011 release.

Game gets delayed from Holiday 2011 without a new date.
TLG skips E3 and TGS.
Reports surface that Fumito Ueda leaves Sony and becomes an independent freelancer, still working on the project.
Sony confirms Ueda's departure but assures that he will complete the game.

The Last Guardian disappears.
Shuhei Yoshida states TLG is making "progress, but slow progress," and it's "tough," but "it's still a really important project" so "there's some scrapping and rebuilding - iteration in the process"
(We later learn that the development shifted to PS4 in 2012.)

Trico is hiding for yet another year.
Fumito Ueda states that he is "terribly sorry" it has taken so long to finish The Last Guardian, and that "my creative work was mostly finished a long time ago," but "the details of when, where, and how it will be completed are beyond my control."

This was the hardest year for Team Ico fans.
IGN starts a rumour that TLG has been cancelled in an internal meeting the prior week, cites Sony Russia exec. as the source, Scott Rhode + Yoshida "laughed at this rumor over dinner" and reiterated on Twitter "TLG has NOT been cancelled."
Shuhei Yoshida: "It exists. The team is working hard on it. When we cancel a title and it is something we have announced already, we'll say so."
TLG Support Group formed on NeoGAF.
Y2Kev says The Last Guardian is dead and you will deal.

Finally.
Sony re-announced The Last Guardian at E3 2015 with brand new gameplay, states the game will launch in 2016. Fans cry.
Shuhei Yoshida told Kotaku that development of The Last Guardian was changed from the PlayStation®3 to the PlayStation®4 because "the announcement trailer of 2009 wasn't representative of how the game actually performed - but was "specced up" for the occasion". In reality, "the game was running on a much lower frame rate". "It was clear that the team had to make a compromise in terms of features, as the PlayStation®3 hardware struggled to cope with the game's vision".

Game finally gets a release date at E3 2016 with a new trailer - October 25th 2016.
In September, TLG gets its final delay to December 6th 2016.
Sony releases two new trailers in November - Action Gameplay Trailer and CG Cinematic Trailer/Ad.
Launch Trailer.
3rea26.png

Review Thread | Spoiler Thread

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I still can't fathom that both FFXV and The Last Guardian have now been released. And so close to each others releases as well. Both ICO and SotC are two of my favorite games of all time makes me wonder how good this could actually be.

Edit: also, I remember something vaguely.. but didn't Y2Kev say something like "This game is SUPER DEAD" like 5 years ago? Good times. Edit 2: Jesus! It's even in the OT :lol :lol :lol

Edit 3: oh, and this is how you make an official thread *cough*. Good job.

Was supposed to get my copy today,but looks like UPS is on some sort of a delay so probably not till tomorrow.

Either way, this is my most hyped game probably ever. Shadow of the Colossus is my favorite game of all time.

It's finally here. Extremely happy it saw release.

ASIS

Just played 4 hours straight.

The meta score is a lie, this is way more than an 8.3. Waaaaay more.

I'm way more proud than I should be to have my thread title suggestion used for the official thread. Any other game I wouldn't be so fussed, but The Last Guardian man. I've been waiting for this game desperately since 2009, so I feel honoured even by such a little thing.

Wonderful OP Agram.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
We're finally here! God damn I've waited a looooong time for this day. Got Amazon CE coming tomorrow and itching with excitement to finally play this baby for myself. Thanks for the wonderful OT btw.

Agram

I'm way more proud than I should be to have my thread title suggestion used for the official thread. Any other game I wouldn't be so fussed, but The Last Guardian man. I've been waiting for this game desperately since 2009, so I feel honoured even by such a little thing.

Wonderful OP Agram.
Oooops, I forgot to credit you

Once again, thanks for suggesting!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That was a pretty great little write up from Y2Kev. Its almost surreal that I will be playing this game tomorrow. I'm actually thinking of calling into work and spending the entire day with Trico lol I haven't done something like that for a videogame in years. Almost did it for Bloodborne.

iammeiam

The past seven years had mostly beaten the hype out of me. No faith it'd be good, one of the gameplay previews at some show or other looked incredibly unappealing, I was expecting a hollow shell of a concept shoved out the door.

Then the prerelease buzz started, and everything down to the complaints sounds exactly like what I'd want and expect out of an Ueda game. Over the past couple of weeks hype has returned full force.

Super excited for tomorrow.

SxP

Sucks that we in Europe have to wait an extra day, but I have that beautiful steelbook ordered and I'm going to be counting down the hours. What's a day when I've waited years already.

PlayerOne

Banned
I am waiting for GAF impressions. I'd rather take your opinions than the dozen or so that are out there doing this "professionally", save for Simon Parkin. :)

YaBish

OP, this OT is extremely well designed for mobile. Kudos!

I'm so excited to get this game at Christmas after some bugs have been patched.

eizarus

Banned
First page

Edit: sorry but as someone who's been following this game since its announcement, that's pretty special to me. 😅

But God I'm so torn as what to get. I can only get two: Steep, FF or this....

Beautiful OT btw, the best I've seen I think.

lem0n

Wonderful. I'm happy for all of you that get to play. I sold my PS4 a while back and this is the first time I've wondered if I made the right choice...

Top Bottom