• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian | TGS Hands-On Previews

Loudninja

Lol
Trico is an animal and he acts like one. Sometimes when you call him, he comes straight to you; other times he's distracted by other things in the environment and you need to keep calling him. The only issues I encountered during the demo was triggering Trico to come my way and help out consistently. You need to be patient, and sometimes it requires multiple requests or certain positioning to get him to him to come to your aid. Still, every time Trico comes my way, he astonishes me with his presence. Climbing up and staying on his back as he takes me to new places is always exciting. The best moments come when things get dire.

He has things to do.

Elios83

The reason being is previews more often than not are very positive given the short window to play. I had the same arguments regarding the order 1886 where the previews were mostly mixed, some loved it and some were concerned. There's some excitement for sure in these previews, but there also seems to be quite a bit of tentativeness.

I think that in this game's case it's the opposite.
The short window to play it doesn't play in its favour in this case.
The game is about the journey with the kid and the growing friendship with Trico while still being an interesting puzzle game at the core. That was the premise of Ico as well (although in that case you had someone to care about).
In a short demo you can't really appreciate those aspects and what emerges more is the time taken to master the controls.
Imo if Ueda can deliver on all the aspects of the previous games (like it seems he's doing) it will be a great title. It won't be a title for everyone, those looking for fast action, tps-like controls and in general those who weren't moved by Ico/Sotc won't appreciate this game.

Sad that the Polygon thread is getting so many posts when OP took the time here to assemble a nice bunch of information.

(insert NeoGAF welcome GIF here)

Seriously. The instant dogpile on anything negative, especially for Sony products, the last few weeks is making me yearn for a new place to post.

Loudninja

There’s a particular joy in watching the giant, bird dog-like Trico playfully bat around the chain you need to climb to get to your next objective. It whimpers when you’re in an area it can’t reach. The creature’s eyes light up as it bounds across the room when you call its name. The camaraderie on display at this point in the adventure is tangible and downright adorable. It’s readily apparent that Trico cares for The Boy and vice versa. It’s also very clear that you’re working with a wild animal, as Trico often does exactly as it pleases – occasionally to the game’s detriment.

I love this.

silva1991

I love this.

I love the relationship between the two

I didn't notice anyone petting Trico in today's videos

last-guardian-stroke-.jpg

I wonder if this mechanic wasn't in the demo or the players simply missed it.

Maybe it''s one of those animations that triggers when you get close. When you have a timeframe and need to rush through puzzles to see a game for a preview, I can forgive them for maybe missing something like that

silva1991

Maybe it''s one of those animations that triggers when you get close. When you have a timeframe and need to rush through puzzles to see a game for a preview, I can forgive them for maybe missing something like that

So like those side conversations in TLOU, but without triangle button prompts :p

Oh good, it no longer looks like you're trying to kill Trico at the end of the E3 demo area.

lol.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
0.00xAA. Thank god this got delayed after the PS4P release so I won't be tempted to play it on regular PS4.

This game got some weird aesthetic changes since 2015. Some objects(including the boy) and scenery will randomly get black outlines.
I think it's just the outline fringing due to backlighting.

I watched a bit. The boy's animations look weird (I guess his movement in general) and the graphics look kind of dated. It looked like it could easily run on a PS3.

Anyway, I'm still going to buy it and play the shit out of it on my roomie's PS4!

Memento

I watched a bit. The boy's animations look weird (I guess his movement in general) and the graphics look kind of dated. It looked like it could easily run on a PS3.

Anyway, I'm still going to buy it and play the shit out of it on my roomie's PS4!

I think it never really ran on PS3. It had several technical issues on it. One of the biggest reasons it was pushed to the PS4 iirc.

Sounds great! The criticisms are just what I expected, and won't really affect my enjoyment of the game if SOTC is any indication.

This.

Sounds exactly like a Team Ico game.

Beautiful, different, and bold.

Completely agree.
The way the creature sounds like it's come together sounds like it's going to be "magical" experience just as hoped, really can't wait.

I hope at one point we will be on a large open field, I want to ride trico like Agro.

Yeah, this would be a dream moment.

I think it never really ran on PS3. It had several technical issues on it. One of the biggest reasons it was pushed to the PS4 iirc.

The game was essentially a slideshow, but it was sped up for its first showing. This is something people fail to realize when they question why it couldn't have just run on a PS3 when it "looks dated."

???
These impressions are kinda weird to me. I fail to see what's so awkward about the controls.

Have you seen anyone playing ICO/SOTC HD that hasn't played them before? Most people will complain about the controls/camera being weird and "not modern". Don't ask me what they mean though!

Lol

He has things to do.

I love this.

See this is what I love to hear.
If Trico grows more responsive as the game progresses that would be amazing.

Brave move making it act like a wild animal that sometimes goes off on his jollies while the player tries to call him back haha.

The game was essentially a slideshow, but it was sped up for its first showing. This is something people fail to realize when they question why it couldn't have just run on a PS3 when it "looks dated."

Don't even understand the dated comments personally.
I couldn't see the PS3 ever running this game with Trico's insane feather physics, complex AI and environmental destruction.

It would melt!

OléGunner;217061065 said:
See this is what I love to hear.
If Trico grows more responsive as the game progresses that would be amazing.

Brave move making it act like a wild animal that sometimes goes off on his jollies while the player tries to call him back haha.

Don't even understand the dated comments personally.
I couldn't see the PS3 ever running this game with Trico's insane feather physics, complex AI and environmental destruction.

It would melt!

Absolutely, it is a risky move because the creature's responsiveness and willingness to follow your directions are central to puzzle solving. They really need to nail it to avoid unnecessary frustration. And while it can be frustrating for the beginning of the game, seeing the creature slowly warm up to you, becoming more responsive over time, is going to feel super rewarding. It's then easy to surmise why the game may not lend well to short demos, but despite that, the impressions seem very positive about the core premise of the game and its puzzles. I doubt they'll be able to get the camera to behave 100% of the time in close quarters due to the size of Trico and the way you interact with it, and that's understandable, but I hope they make sure the AI is rock solid at least 99% of the time and that the controls are more precise than the previews lead me to believe. For example, I can certainly understand why someone would get frustrated if ledge/creature/chain grabbing was too sticky, thus making it difficult to grab on to what you want.

silva1991

Have you seen anyone playing ICO/SOTC HD that hasn't played them before? Most people will complain about the controls/camera being weird and "not modern". Don't ask me what they mean though!

Yeah I've watched a famous twitch streamer(Cohcarnage) play SoTC a month ago fro the first time and he complained alot about the controls lol.

but that didn't stop him from loving the game for what it is and hopefully that's what will happen with TLG.

Lime

Wondering if I'll be burned from getting the game's Collector's Edition. I want to support the game and SOTC was an ethereal experience, but the delays and production troubles throughout have me a bit worried

Wondering if I'll be burned from getting the game's Collector's Edition. I want to support the game and SOTC was an ethereal experience, but the delays and production troubles throughout have me a bit worried

From the sounds of it, if you can play Ico and Shadow of the Colossus today without finding the camera or controls "awkward," the game will be just fine. Or perhaps, even if you do take issue with those aspects, the game may be great enough to minimize those complaints.

Lime

From the sounds of it, if you can play Ico and Shadow of the Colossus today without finding the camera or controls "awkward," the game will be just fine. Or perhaps, even if you do take issue with those aspects, the game may be great enough to minimize those complaints.

Those things aren't a problem for me at all - what I'm worried about is that delayed games have a host of problems with them

Those things aren't a problem for me at all - what I'm worried about is that delayed games have a host of problems with them

I wouldn't worry in that case. The delay was largely due to hardware constraints and the engine shifting over to the PS4 so Ueda could make his vision for the title a reality. The game hasn't been compromised or significantly altered, and this is due to the power afforded by the PS4. Of course, that's not to say his vision will be as influential and memorable as his previous two titles (we can't possibly know that without playing the game!), but we can rest assured that it hasn't been compromised unless Ueda is a dirty liar. : p

Absolutely, it is a risky move because the creature's responsiveness and willingness to follow your directions are central to puzzle solving. They really need to nail it to avoid unnecessary frustration. And while it can be frustrating for the beginning of the game, seeing the creature slowly warm up to you, becoming more responsive over time, is going to feel super rewarding. It's then easy to surmise why the game may not lend well to short demos, but despite that, the impressions seem very positive about the core premise of the game and its puzzles. I doubt they'll be able to get the camera to behave 100% of the time in close quarters due to the size of Trico and the way you interact with it, and that's understandable, but I hope they make sure the AI is rock solid at least 99% of the time and that the controls are more precise than the previews lead me to believe. For example, I can certainly understand why someone would get frustrated if ledge/creature/chain grabbing was too sticky, thus making it difficult to grab on to what you want.

Having a couple Alsatian's that more often than not don't listen to anything I say can fully appreciate what Ueda is going for.

I'm just not trying to get them to solve puzzles with me though :p

But yeah that's why the delay is a positive for me imo.
Iron out all the AI and control kinks. Won't be perfect at launch either way, but we'll be getting a much more polished game ultimately.

Honestly, if you're that worried, just wait on reviews imo.
No need to risk being burned just to have dibs on a collectors edition, which you can probably still buy later down the line.

Sounds like the negatives are it's a Famito Ueda game releasing in 2016.

The fact you play as a child who is trying desperately to control a 10ft tall puppy where tasks include trying to get the animal through a gate should clue in gamers to how it will play.

It's a game where the player has to be understanding of the limitations the characters have, like in Ico where the player has to work with the two characters to try and do such grand tasks as climb over a wall slightly too high for either character to jump over.

And to a lesser extent in SOTC in which the character, Wander, had less limitations than Ico but he was no way near as capable as say Nate in Uncharted who is probably more in line with 2016 player expectations of what a normal character is capable of.

Game already looks great, love the art style, but I'm wondering what enhancements the PS4 Pro version will be getting, this could look awesome with a 4k mode.

silva1991

Added a Famitsu playthrough of the demo to the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMFD2Q3FPIA

It's interesting to compare Trico's reactions and quirks between the available footage. You can easily see how alive the creature seems to be.

Easily the best footage so far. the player playing feels natural and doesn't seem like he was struggling at all and the AI doesn't seem problem in this footage at all.

also I think he is the only one that successfully made Trico eating the barrel :p I don't remember Trico eat it in the other videos.

As the product manager was looking over my shoulder during my playthrough, he did say that there are a lot of non-essential interactive options with Trico like petting. Even though he brought it up, he was coy when I asked if these kinds of bonding gestures had a cumulative effect over a full playthrough.

Jeels

0.00xAA. Thank god this got delayed after the PS4P release so I won't be tempted to play it on regular PS4.

I think it's just the outline fringing due to backlighting.

Is the AA PS4P only? If so, shit like that and what they are doing with FFXV justifies a PS4 Pro for me w/ a 1080p screen.

Top Bottom