• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian (TRICO) announced for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wouwie

Johnas said:
The game will look like this (maybe even better). Team Ico games use the in-game engine for cutscenes.

Wow, it's virtually unbelievable. That beast looks so great, real almost... And the animations on the boy... phew.

Afrikan

jonnyp said:
I know but I thought that would've had more to do with hardware limitation than anything else :)

I personally think they are not done with his model.... I think he will more closely resemble his environments by release.... it just seems like they were rushed to show a trailer for E3.... I'm expecting a new one at TGS with the boy looking different.

trmas

Banned
This must be the internal Sony game all the developers were raving about that we hadn't seen yet (except for the leak). Like playing a work of art...

This is the part that I think is gameplay:

1z4winn.gif

The part where the camera pans above him and he's running. Even the cloth physics is amazing.

LiK

trmas said:
This must be the internal Sony game all the developers were raving about that we hadn't seen yet (except for the leak). Like playing a work of art...

Nick Suttner is probably molesting it right now.

Darkman M

Waiting on the HD version before i watch,but this may be the most impressive looking console game this gen just from the gifs.

TalonsOfJustice

Neo Member
There needs to be more video games like these that are emotionally appealing. Game developers can add action packed sequences to games that show a strong psychelogical or emotional message. It's been over 20 years, and most games STILL follow the whole "I'm a hero lets save the world" theme, which needs to stop. Metal Gear is a good example of bringing philosophy into an action game, this game would be a great example of bringing compassion into a platforming game. Give me more of this stuff, and maybe the future of gaming won't be so bad after all.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Hopefully Sony puts it up on PSN on Thursday. I need a 1080p video... Blim, where are youuuuuuuuu~

Acid08

Banned
I really really hope there are specific call outs to ICO and SotC in this game. Like maybe at one point you return to where those games happen :O.

Xun

Looks awesome, though am I the only one who noticed how basic the kid character was?

He looks like a step back compared to Wander even, graphically.

But anyway, day fucking 1!

d+pad

This game is the one that will force me to pick up a PS3 slim (whenever it's finally released). Not that there aren't other games out there that impress me (Valkyria Chronicles, esp.), but this one in particular is so jaw-dropingly amazing that it puts everything else on the system to shame.

In my humble opinion :)

jonnyp said:
What's the reasoning behind this? Why couldn't it? The fact that they're still using it in this official trailer is more of an indication that it will be than not.
I bet they're going to keep the it as the main theme of the game and they'll have Kō Ōtani (SOTC composer) workaround it. Though that shouldn't be too hard since it already sounds like his style.

LowParry

I'm curious to see some comparisons of that older vid vs the new one. I could tell there were big improvements. My god, the feathers on that beast with how they moved. Seriously. That trailer always gets me teary eyed for some reason. Such a great trailer.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The trailer upped the ante in every way. It looks better and runs great. The lighting is amazing and the modeling/animation of things are mind blowing. Powerful stuff.

SolidSnakex said:
Holy damn

Just look at the creature.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
The entire trailer I was thinking 'Why does that poor thing still have all those spears/arrows in it? :/

Forkball

One of my gripes about Shadow of the Colossus was the lack of platforming in the overworld. I love the realistic movement of the player character in Ico and SotC, so I was disappointed to see that you only got to experience that while on the colossus instead of in the overworld as well. I hope this game is platform heavy.

But you know either the kid or monster thing is going to die. It's just gonna happen.

BeeDog

Thanks SSX. <3 Is it possible for a couple more, especially the one where the creature is perched on that ruin and rawrs?

Haunted

I like the subtle changes they made to the llamabird and the big changes to the boy compared to the early leak.

Much improved, imo.

edit: the feathers are just sublime, fantastic, just as the fur in SotC was last gen. :D

pringles

TalonsOfJustice said:
There needs to be more video games like these that are emotionally appealing. Game developers can add action packed sequences to games that show a strong psychelogical or emotional message. It's been over 20 years, and most games STILL follow the whole "I'm a hero lets save the world" theme, which needs to stop. Metal Gear is a good example of bringing philosophy into an action game, this game would be a great example of bringing compassion into a platforming game. Give me more of this stuff, and maybe the future of gaming won't be so bad after all.
This, a million times this.

Don

SolidSnakex said:
That part was the main improvement I noticed when watching the conference. In the old trailer that bit looked a bit of a mess and the area in the background just looked like a bunch of blocks. Looks so much better now.

God damn that shot is definitely stunning. Tons of major and minor improvements. I love the new character design, and the art style. I'm glad they kept it. I'm very impressed by this and to see the small bit of gameplay they had in the trailer was my E3 highlight.

So considering how Ueda works with showing off his games, could this mean release is close?

Rei_Toei said:
The entire trailer I was thinking 'Why does that poor thing still have all those spears/arrows in it? :/
Hopefully you can remove them. ;_;

I take it the boy is supposed to be glowing.

The music is simply to die for! Oh my goodness. This is the truest blur between movies/gaming I have seen/felt. It makes MGS4 look a lot less impressive, IMHO.

NeXuSDK

Rei_Toei said:

Exactly. It's incredible how Team ICO really understands how to create that emotional connection... the arrows/spears does a fantastic job of creating empathy with this huge, but obviously very fragile, hurt and unselfish creature. Incredible!

TheChillyAcademic said:
We all know the thing is going to die in the end lol

You know why I think its so emotional, at least for me, is because the face of the beast is almost cat like. It reminds me a great deal of my own cat and the thought of something happening to something I cared deeply for is...difficult.

THIS is so true. The trailer reminds me of my young dog and how much she relies on me and how much of a companion she is. It's really special when you can emulate that type of emotion virtually. This is why Ueda & co. really succeed because they realize how to bring that raw emotion to the forefront.

I think the majority of people that play this will get that "lump in your throat" feeling no matter the outcome.

Danielsan

They have really mutilated the poor creature. His horns filed down, his wings cut off and his body covered with spears and arrows. There is also something noticeable about its eyes in the new trailer.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
LovingSteam said:
The music is simply to die for! Oh my goodness. This is the truest blur between movies/gaming I have seen/felt. It makes MGS4 look a lot less impressive, IMHO.
Team Ico made fools of Kojipro and everyone else claiming to make narrative driven games with every release they've made.

Danielsan said:
They have really mutilated the poor creature. His horns filed down, his wings cut off and his body covered with spears and arrows. There is also something noticeable about its eyes in the new trailer.

IT'S EMOTION DANIELSAN, MOTHERFUCKING EMOTION. KOJIMA CAN TAKE HIS MELODRAMATIC MICROWAVED BALL AND GO HOME. THIS IS THE NEW SHIT. THAT GOOD SHIT. THE REAL SHIT.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
SolidSnakex said:
HUGE lighting upgrade

Old
j65saa.gif

New
e17xwy.gif
That thing looks real all the while retaining the adorabilty.

LiK said:
for some reason, i prefer the griffin in the old one. looks cuter for some reason...
The lighting looks like dog (lol) shit compared to the new build. It makes a world of difference even though the old footage looked good already.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
LovingSteam said:

Probably because the music is from a movie.

And you know that big thing is gonna die to save the little boy :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom