• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Jedi is the cover of EW's Fall Movie Preview (light spoilers)

Woorloog

Banned
Man, how is that bad CG?

What does bad CG even mean these days?

I always felt Maz being CGI creation was clearly visible. Like, you got all those real (animatronics, puppets, costumed) aliens, and then you have this one alien that looks different somehow.
In wrong way.

I'd say this is not a failure of CGI itself but other factors. Like placing both physical and a CGI alien in same space.

Rootbeer

Banned
People are still saying Maz is bad CGI?
Imagine if they had done her as a Yoda-like puppet.

Given the scenes she's in and the limited movement she needs to do, would have been very possible.

Oh well. I just hope future SW films do make use of intricate puppet work for main characters. The new ones shown for TLJ all seem to be fairly minor roles... so far.

When you think back to characters like Jabba and Yoda... the puppets are what helped make them indelible icons. So much harder for a CGI character to have the same impact.

Digressing... I think her CGI is pretty good.

Surfinn

As far as I remember, they were gunna do Maz as a puppet but ran out of time.

I can agree with people thinking she looks out of place because of the implementation, but that's far different from bad CGI, which she clearly is not.

But I do wish they did the puppet

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Shitty design, bad CG and pointless role.

(Love Lupita though.)
How is this design shitty?

maztall.jpg

And how is this even remotely shitty CGI:

And how is she pointless when she was literally the only person around to tell Rey directly about the force?

Tookay

I dunno, I don't think that Maz is a particularly interesting design.

Or a particularly interesting character.

She's just a poorly-drawn exposition character.

maztall.jpg

And how is she pointless when she was literally the only person around to tell Rey directly about the force?

I don't agree really about her being a shitty design or CG, but let's be honest, Rey didn't need to be told by the force. She seemed fairly adept at it just by experiencing it

Crossing Eden

I don't agree really about her being a shitty design or CG, but let's be honest, Rey didn't need to be told by the force. She seemed fairly adept at it just by experiencing it
Yes she is but she learned the nature of it through Maz specifically. And there's also the matter of Maz having Luke's lightsaber. She's absolutely crucial to TFA.

Leia or Obi-Wan or anyone could have told Rey about the Force. Maz's only point was to give the film its Yoda figure.
Lol how would Rey talk to Obi-wan? And why would she talk to Leia about the force when the crucial scenes of Leia involved Han Solo. And neither of them address the Luke lightsaber thing.

Tookay

She's crucial in a flimsy way, possessing a lightsaber that we last saw spiraling down the abyss (whose appearance she handwaves away as a story for another time) and speaking about the Force without being a Force user (unless deleted scenes are canon).

She's more plot device than character. She barely has a relationship with Rey, yet she's acting like she knows her deeply after a conversation. She doesn't earn that moment, not in the least.

Crossing Eden

She's crucial in a flimsy way, possessing a lightsaber that we last saw spiraling down the abyss (whose appearance she handwaves away as a story for another time) and speaking about the Force without being a Force user (unless deleted scenes are canon).

She's more plot device than character. She barely has a relationship with Rey, yet she's acting like she knows her deeply after a conversation. She doesn't earn that moment, not in the least.
She just might. We still don't know who Rey is. And there's that line about her always seeing the same eyes in people.

JB1981

Maz is a bad character. Happy to see she will not have a bigger role in TLJ. There's a lot more interesting ground to cover

Edit: alright "bad" is a little harsh but I won't be sad to see less of her

Isurus

Now we're talking
edit:
7aptNpw.png

What am I looking at here? Is this an official pic from somewhere?

Also, sidebar, as much as I'd like it to be, she isn't a Skywalker. I'll accept a tag saying "claims to love star wars but knows nothing about it" if she is. It just doesn't make sense at this point. The article even says that her history doesn't matter much. They are trying to soften the disappointment.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The article even says that her history doesn't matter much. They are trying to soften the disappointment.
Where exactly does it say that?

"Every new character connects to a classic character" is the worst, most uncreative thing SW fans have done with this new trilogy.

"Rey is a Skywalker/Kenobi!"
"Finn is Lando's secret son!"
"Poe is somehow related to Cassian Andor!"
"Snoke is Palpatine!"

Some of ya'll turning a GALAXY into a very small place. :/

"Every new character connects to a classic character" is the worst, most uncreative thing SW fans have done with this new trilogy.

"Snoke is Palpatine!"

Legit

DavidDesu

I genuinely thought Rey probably was taken from Luke's Jedi Academy and placed on Jakku after Ben did what he did. I guess I was all too easily just joining the dots as they seemed to be presented. Strange to actually think that she was on Jakku well before then. Also helps with her and Kylo's ages seemeing too far apart if that were the case. But that's also guessing the Ben turned in his later teen years, which you get the impression of from how he looks in flashbacks (i.e. The same, and not smaller or anything).

I genuinely thought Rey probably was taken from Luke's Jedi Academy and placed on Jakku after Ben did what he did. I guess I was all too easily just joining the dots as they seemed to be presented. Strange to actually think that she was on Jakku well before then. Also helps with her and Kylo's ages seemeing too far apart if that were the case. But that's also guessing the Ben turned in his later teen years, which you get the impression of from how he looks in flashbacks (i.e. The same, and not smaller or anything).

Ben's 29 in TFA and going by Bloodline, he probably betrayed Luke when he was about 24/25.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
What am I looking at here? Is this an official pic from somewhere?

Also, sidebar, as much as I'd like it to be, she isn't a Skywalker. I'll accept a tag saying "claims to love star wars but knows nothing about it" if she is. It just doesn't make sense at this point. The article even says that her history doesn't matter much. They are trying to soften the disappointment.

It's an adobe one kenobi photoshop. A scene from The 5th Element where Leeloo Dallas Multi-pass gets 3d printed from the recovered arm of a Mondoshawan. Masterfully combined with that of a etsy fan art project that depicts Luke's amputated hand bones still grasping his rusty lightsaber after Lord Darth Vader went, chop.

Although I don't think a light saber would make a chop sound, hrmm. Maybe more of a BzzzZzzt.

anyway, I hope this clears everything up

Not

Banned

"Snoke is Palpatine!"

My thoughts as well

Apt101

Rewatching her fight with Kylo, I feel she is a Skywalker. First, it makes sense that the new emperor would want a Skywalker, knowing the family's power in the Force. Second, her innate abilities - the same kind Anakin displayed. Her story mirrors Luke's in many ways - even Solo being the one to come and essentially carry her away onto the formative leg of her adventure.

But it was the way she stalked Kylo when she knew she had him beat, looking down on him with hate and rage even as he was helpless. That was some Vader type shit, only the mask hid his face. And her hearing that voice in her head mirrored the scene where Vader taunts Luke about his sister and Luke flips - almost killing him.

Slaythe

maztall.jpg

LMFAO

I guess it's a matter of different taste ? I think her design is horrendous.

But the CGI is just shit, she stands out completely and looks very fake. The face anyway, body is fine.

CS_Dan

Well, OK. She told the audience about the force. This was a lot of people's first Star Wars film.

Crossing Eden

LMFAO

I guess it's a matter of different taste ? I think her design is horrendous.

But the CGI is just shit, she stands out completely and looks very fake. The face anyway, body is fine.
You must have impossibly standards for CGI as she was incredibly well done from a technical perspective.

Top Bottom