• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Night (cyberpunk cinematic platformer) becoming full game; due 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwtsonga

OMG it is happening!

http://www.oddtales.net/

tln_screen.jpg

The Last Night is an amazing little flash game (see website above), and now it is beocming a full blown release on PS4/PC/MAC!!!!!!!

Seriously everyone try it out at the site above (the flash demo). It is basically a cyberpunk 2D platformer with amazing sound design (play it with earphones to hear an amazing soundtrack with fantastic sound effects). The gameplay is solid, hopefully they have a good storyline to keep us hooked! Kickstarter begins next year.

ibsAxPd6wHU0m.gif

===

jwtsonga

What did you think of the overall sound design? That is the thing that really stood out to me. Sure the art style/world/setting looked quite nice, but for me the music and sound effects were incredibly good with headphones on!

Awesome. Loved everything about the demo and I hope they're able to capture that same feeling in the full game and are able to build something great around it.

Pyccko

What did you think of the overall sound design? That is the thing that really stood out to me. Sure the art style/world/setting looked quite nice, but for me the music and sound effects were incredibly good with headphones on!

Yeah, it was definitely great. The spot in that gif was especially nice wth the different zoomy noises layered in with the rain and music. Perfect cyberpunk vibe. And the little dying noises the camera things make are pretty cute, too.

Coreda

Saw this a few weeks ago, and posted about it in the Cyberpunk and KS threads. The sound design, art and music in the original are perfect. Hoping the full game captures the same great vibe, especially that provided by the ending song which for me made the experience.

░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░█
░░░░░░░░░░█░░░█
░░░░░░░░░█░░░░█
███████▄▄█░░░░░██████▄
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▓▓▓▓▓▓█████░░░░░░░░░█
██████▀░░░░▀▀██████▀

Great little demo with some solid art design. Look forward to the finished product.

jwtsonga

Glad that my message got out to at least some people-hopefully more people discover this game next year and in 2016, I feel it will be very good!

Fjordson

Looks like the art is somewhat updated from the Gamejam version. Looks even more amazing now.

The visuals these guys are doing look really good. Even the game they were working on (that's now postponed in favor of a full Last Night game) looked great http://www.behindnowhere.com/

Oh yeah, I remember this. It wasn't any fun to play, but it generated an atmosphere not felt nearly enough in video games. I'll eat up anything that's cyberpunk, so I'm looking forward to checking it out on the PS4.

so1337

Oh, nice. So they're making it in to a full game.
Seriously everyone try it out at the site above (the flash demo). It is basically a cyberpunk 2D platformer with amazing sound design (play it with earphones to hear an amazing soundtrack with fantastic sound effects).
I wouldn't necessarily call this a platformer since you can't jump. It's more of a light adventure game. It is a very cool demo, though.

madquills

Neo Member
Hi everyone, Danny here (lead writer on the game) - thank you so much for all the kind comments! It's incredible motivating for Tim, Adrien (the main artists and visionaries) and myself, and the rest of our very small team, to read all of this stuff and it spurs us on to make the best game we possibly can for you all.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have, but just to give you an update, we're working hard on the trailer which will answer a lot I think, and we're in the process of setting up a proper newsletter too :) And just to reiterate, the gamejam version was more of a proof of concept than a demo - expect the full version to be much, much more ambitious.

@thuway - my job is to ensure it has plenty of substance haha! Put it this way - not many indie games have a dedicated writer just focusing on the dialogue, character traits, story etc etc. Hope I can deliver!

@jwtsonga thanks so much for starting the thread :)

Tim is locked away working on the trailer but he asked me specifically to say 'hi' from him and thanks again on his behalf for all the kind words. Oh, and to show you this:

tumblr_ng13ryviQO1s2mhd6o1_1280.gif

jwtsonga

No problem madquills. Small indie devs need all the publicity they can get! If nothing else, i really hope you guys can just nail the music and atmosphere. As long as game play and story are serviceable.

Hi everyone, Danny here (lead writer on the game) - thank you so much for all the kind comments! It's incredible motivating for Tim, Adrien (the main artists and visionaries) and myself, and the rest of our very small team, to read all of this stuff and it spurs us on to make the best game we possibly can for you all.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have, but just to give you an update, we're working hard on the trailer which will answer a lot I think, and we're in the process of setting up a proper newsletter too :) And just to reiterate, the gamejam version was more of a proof of concept than a demo - expect the full version to be much, much more ambitious.

@thuway - my job is to ensure it has plenty of substance haha! Put it this way - not many indie games have a dedicated writer just focusing on the dialogue, character traits, story etc etc. Hope I can deliver!

Tim is locked away working on the trailer but he asked me specifically to say 'hi' from him and thanks again on his behalf for all the kind words. Oh, and to show you this:

Man, somehow I missed this thread and game completely. I just want to say that Another World, Flashback, Blackthorne and Heart of Darkness are some of my favorite games ever, I've actually completed Flashback so many times on different platforms, it's almost like an annual ritual for me. I'm very excited for this game and sincerely wish you all the best. Love that white laser flash from the gif btw, very reminiscent of the gun in Another World, looks ace!

You've mentioned the trailer will explain a lot about the full game, so this question is probably obsolete and you don't have to answer, but - since the term "cinematic platformer" is mentioned on the website, I'm assuming this will be a tile-based movement, cover shooting and item based puzzle type of cinematic platformer, i.e. very much like Flashback and Blackthorne? If so, then fuck yeah!

Fjordson

Welcome mang. Game looks smashing.

If you can't answer this right now then no worries, but I noticed Perturbator is credited for music on your site. Is that original material for the game? Or pre-existing songs by him?

Just played this, wow what an awesome little game. Can't wait for the full release, will probably the first game I back as well.
Keep up the good work!

madquills

Neo Member
Hi, Danny, welcome!

I'd really love to play this, so tell me, what are the chances for an Xbox One version?

Hey there, it's still really early days for us on the business side of things, but we're hoping/planning to be on Steam (or downloadable on PC somehow) as well, so hopefully there'll be a way for you to play it somehow!

ichtyander said:
I'm assuming this will be a tile-based movement, cover shooting and item based puzzle type of cinematic platformer, i.e. very much like Flashback and Blackthorne? If so, then fuck yeah!

I don't want to spoil a surprise but let's just say, it's going to be a little more modern than pure tile-based, we plan to have some cover shooting but the emphasis of the game is not on gunplay, more stealth and using your wits.

We spent a lot of time playing, talking and dissecting these kinds of games and we think we've got a pretty good idea now of what still works beautifully, and what we can modernise and innovate to make a smoother, more immersive gameplay and narrative experience!

fjordson said:
If you can't answer this right now then no worries, but I noticed Perturbator is credited for music on your site. Is that original material for the game? Or pre-existing songs by him?

Definitely pre-existing, very likely new material too. We have a dedicated sound engineer who is also a great composer so we won't be just restricting ourselves to one musician or style of music :)

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words! Not long until we send out the first newsletter, keep your eyes on twitter (@timsoret and @madquills) to see when the mailing list is live! Can't wait to tell you all more of what we've been working on!

rubex75

Banned
Just played the demo now.

Holy fuckballs this game is going to be amazing! The demo itself was brilliant and I can't wait to play it for real!

The developers started a devlog
https://medium.com/the-last-night-devblog
We want to tell you how we went from scrappy pixel art for a gamejam in a tiny 691x269 window, to a massive 1920x1080 filled with delicious pixel art full of details, a real sense of depth and lovely animations.

We want to tell you how we imagined and designed the futuristic, gritty, yet charming city of the game. How we settled on some gameplay features, like our real time action dialogues and our 2.5D camera, and how we are juicing them.

We want to explain you how we animate our characters by hand, and how we randomise their behaviours to create a rich, 2D, believable crowd where you blend in. Or even how we are using lighting as an aesthetic, creative, and storytelling tool.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Did they ever release that trailer?

The proof of concept was pretty amazing. Seems like yesterday. EDIT: Also, they cite Another World as inspiration. They had me in before I even knew it.

Interesting tidbit from Twitter today. I asked if The Last Night might be at E3, and the devs said they could have shown the game at E3 this year but decided it was still too early for an official reveal (since the game is targeting a 2017 release)

So that says two things to me:
1) the game is pretty far along if an E3 reveal was a possibility
2) whatever publisher/company that's supporting them can get them an E3 reveal/booth (so that's a good sign)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom