• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The last night still in development.

mckmas8808

Banned
A small but vocal minority of crybabies likely got his funding and connection to Microsoft yanked because he wanted to explore an idea in a fictitious game. I don't think he's off base here at all. There's a history of people being very successful in damaging him.

Except he always could have gone to KickStarter. And those crybabies have every right to voice their opinion. If MS or anybody else cut their funding, then that's on this game and speaks to something with the game that must not be good. Nobody is going to throw money away on what "LOOKS" like could be a huge Indie hit, just because some people on Twitter or Resetera are upset. It doesn't work that way.

mckmas8808

Banned
Ouch... From a 2018 release to this...

beXlMtr.png

He has to stop this stupidity. I love the look and sounds of Tim Soret's game, but he is looking weak as hell here. Slow down how? He seems to always throw up these "things" that are happening, but never exactly says what's happening or how things got hurt. He just eludes to it and allows "certain" people to fill in their own blanks. It's unbecoming. Just make a great game and talk about it. Talk it up. Stop spending so much time NOT talking about the background of what's happening. Stop half-way talking about it.

I really hope this game makes it out uncompromised. The premise is intriguing, and the presentation is striking.

The premise has changed from what we first heard about it. It's now about massive inequality brought by such a future, and the resentment & bitterness it will lead to

mortal

Gold Member
The premise has changed from what we first heard about it. It's now about massive inequality brought by such a future, and the resentment & bitterness it will lead to
Really? That's a shame. Here's hoping the original concept is still represented in some capacity.

zenspider

I hope this game makes it market - not just because of my personal interest, but the seeming political implications if there's truly an agenda to 'deplatform' the creators.

Man, everyone in ResetEra was shitting on the game because of Tim Soret’s opinions and views. I hope this doesn’t happen here...

Before I understood the SJW position I ostensibly agreed with most of those people - who doesn't want equality? - but this game being some kind of counterpoint was really interesting to me.

I never understood being allergic to views you don't think you agree with, or thinking they are some kind of violence done unto you.

I read books about things I don't agree with, watch movies, news, YouTube, posts, etc. Video games seem like a really good way to wrap your head around other people's viewpoints.

olimariOA

Banned
Except he always could have gone to KickStarter. And those crybabies have every right to voice their opinion. If MS or anybody else cut their funding, then that's on this game and speaks to something with the game that must not be good. Nobody is going to throw money away on what "LOOKS" like could be a huge Indie hit, just because some people on Twitter or Resetera are upset. It doesn't work that way.

You can't really believe this.
How many of those intellectual darkweb guys have been hugely successful after being fired by their previous employers?

There's this idea of optics. MS hasn't officially dropped them yet, but if they do they must see the company as antithetical to their own social values. I'm not sure potential lost income factors into social equations at all.

And Tim has seemed to indicate that because of the legal web surrounding their MS deal that they can't start a Kickstarter just yet. It sounds like funding purgatory. I promise that if/when they do it's going to go crazy.

mckmas8808

Banned
You can't really believe this.
How many of those intellectual darkweb guys have been hugely successful after being fired by their previous employers?

There's this idea of optics. MS hasn't officially dropped them yet, but if they do they must see the company as antithetical to their own social values. I'm not sure potential lost income factors into social equations at all.

And Tim has seemed to indicate that because of the legal web surrounding their MS deal that they can't start a Kickstarter just yet. It sounds like funding purgatory. I promise that if/when they do it's going to go crazy.

If the premise of the game is so terrible that major and minor corporations all across planet Earth won't fund them, then maybe (just maybe) the premise is terrible and they need to find a way to self-fund the game. I just personally find it hard to believe that MS (the same company that could use a shiny/interesting exclusive game) wouldn't fund this game because of some internet chatter and some people in the industry "supposedly" trying to shut it down.

At worse, this game would sell amazingly well with the people that say they hate SJWs. There are literally millions of people in Western countries would support the game just off of that premise alone. Add in 80s CyberPunk visuals and music to a never seen before handcrafted art style and amazing animation. Man, this thing could be HUGE for Microsoft! But here we are talking about a lack of funding....

Last edited:

olimariOA

Banned
If the premise of the game is so terrible that major and minor corporations all across planet Earth won't fund them, then maybe (just maybe) the premise is terrible and they need to find a way to self-fund the game. I just personally find it hard to believe that MS (the same company that could use a shiny/interesting exclusive game) wouldn't fund this game because of some internet chatter and some people in the industry "supposedly" trying to shut it down.

At worse, this game would sell amazingly well with the people that say they hate SJWs. There are literally millions of people in Western countries would support the game just off of that premise alone. Add in 80s CyberPunk visuals and music to a never seen before handcrafted art style and amazing animation. Man, this thing could be HUGE for Microsoft! But here we are talking about a lack of funding....

I agree that what you're outlining COULD be possible, but it doesn't jive with what Tim has been hinting at on Twitter.
It sounds like he's in funding stalemate where MS is cutting or cutting back and he's unable to kickstart because of contracts.

Very unfortunate situation since, like you said, the game has a ton of positive hype behind it.
I'm not sure you can deny things/people getting shitcanned because of social pressure, though. Things aren't purely about profit or else a hyped game like this would be funded and fast tracked regardless of premise.

If you really boil it down, exploring a dystopia where radical feminism ran wild isn't very outlandish. Any ideology can run amuck.

Last edited:

olimariOA

Banned
No! It's a conspiracy theory!
Nobody is out to get him!

If people really think he hasn't been attacked then I'll be happy to dig up a billion jezebel articles or whatever.

So wait, what's the legal contractual reason for which he couldn't develop the game. SJWs are dangerous but I doubt they have any leverage on preventing a game "development" so what's the actual story?

mckmas8808

Banned
So wait, what's the legal contractual reason for which he couldn't develop the game. SJWs are dangerous but I doubt they have any leverage on preventing a game "development" so what's the actual story?

And this is the point I'm getting at. We like to focus on the noise that people made about the original premise of the game. But not many are trying to focus on the real "why" the development got pushed back by at least a year. The truth so far is Tim Soret isn't telling us. He's trying to lead us to believe (without him saying it mind you), that the negative talk and the people that are out to get him due to his negative feminism premise is what got the funding cut big time and that Publishers aren't trying to work with him now. Effectively blacklisting him from working on his game.

olimariOA

Banned

It's not just anonymous twitter mobs, it's people with industry clout like Stinkles and his ilk that have pull over the contract holders.

olimariOA

Banned
And this is the point I'm getting at. We like to focus on the noise that people made about the original premise of the game. But not many are trying to focus on the real "why" the development got pushed back by at least a year. The truth so far is Tim Soret isn't telling us. He's trying to lead us to believe (without him saying it mind you), that the negative talk and the people that are out to get him due to his negative feminism premise is what got the funding cut big time and that Publishers aren't trying to work with him now. Effectively blacklisting him from working on his game.

So he's lying. Got it.
Honestly his word is all we have to go on right now.

He's been transparent about his salary and pretty good about showing how much interest gamers have in his game.
If I see evidence that his timeline sucked and his team was lazy I'll revise my current stance, but it really looks like MS is borking him behind the scenes.

Hell, even Sony inbox'd him to talk. Sounds like he's just in a holding pattern trying to clear up legal horseshit.

mckmas8808

Banned
So he's lying. Got it.
Honestly his word is all we have to go on right now.

He's been transparent about his salary and pretty good about showing how much interest gamers have in his game.
If I see evidence that his timeline sucked and his team was lazy I'll revise my current stance, but it really looks like MS is borking him behind the scenes.

Hell, even Sony inbox'd him to talk. Sounds like he's just in a holding pattern trying to clear up legal horseshit.

I don't personally think he's lying. I just don't think he's telling the complete story. Like why exactly is MS holding his game hostage? If they don't want to fund it due to outside pressure, why wouldn't MS just let them go and get their own funding? Or allow them to work with a different Publisher?

It's not just anonymous twitter mobs, it's people with industry clout like Stinkles and his ilk that have pull over the contract holders.

Yeah but I mean, can he be prevent by contract holders to NOT work and develop his game, a move that would be motivated by SJW mobs?

The USA are so fucked-up and degenerate in terms of laws that it's possible, but it can't in most part of the world: you either pull-over the contract in which case he's free to continue without funding (or Kickstarter), or he's indeed hold by some legal litigious crap over continuing development or retrieving assets...

olimariOA

Banned
I don't personally think he's lying. I just don't think he's telling the complete story. Like why exactly is MS holding his game hostage? If they don't want to fund it due to outside pressure, why wouldn't MS just let them go and get their own funding? Or allow them to work with a different Publisher?

It sounds like they got downgraded to a lesser funding tier and now they are in the process of being released.
We'll see.

I simply don't think he's lying and do think he's restricted in what he can divulge currently.

Helios

He could've easily not made this post and the people would've ran with the story that his problems are because of Zoe Quinn or whatever. Yet he went out and denied that his legal/monetary problems are because of activists. He didn't reveal much information and that's on him if he wants to but all you're doing is speculating that he has an evil mastermind plan to rally anti-sjw to fund his game.

mckmas8808

Banned
He could've easily not made this post and the people would've ran with the story that his problems are because of Zoe Quinn or whatever. Yet he went out and denied that his legal/monetary problems are because of activists. He didn't reveal much information and that's on him if he wants to but all you're doing is speculating that he has an evil mastermind plan to rally anti-sjw to fund his game.

It's not an evil mastermind plan. There's nothing master level about it. Just playing into some people fears is all. This post right here is where he decided to give some red meat to the Anti-SJW crowd.

*For people that can't get to Twitter*

Tim Soret said:
Clarification: it's true that activists tried and are trying hardcore to kill us, deplatform us, cancel us, blacklist us. Not just random angry twitter uses or Resetera people, but organized powerful activists inside AAA studios, gaming organisations, game design schools.

It's clear that he wants the waters to be muddy. The tweet I linked to came right after the tweet you linked to. He doesn't want his situation to be clear. He prefers that it's unclear, until funding is met.

Shmunter

Nothing wrong with speaking out against authoritarian activism. More should do it but are too scared to do so for a reason, and others even join in for fear of not doing so will make them a target.

Anybody with a head on their shoulders recognises we have a major problem with puritanical entities trying to take control of society. A major pushback needs to happen or were all cactus.

olimariOA

Banned
We got an incredible amount of support the last two days. However I saw a lot of misguided comments particularly on Reddit assuming we mismanaged our budget, or that renting a small office in London was not wise.
We didn't burn money "to see hookers" as some redditors commented. We only got workstations in August 2018. Before that, we were working on our personal computers. Our tiny team spent 2.5 years without an office. We pay ourselves way under industry average. We're super careful.

sounds like they were responsible

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Nothing wrong with speaking out against authoritarian activism. More should do it but are too scared to do so for a reason, and others even join in for fear of not doing so will make them a target.

Anybody with a head on their shoulders recognises we have a major problem with puritanical entities trying to take control of society. A major pushback needs to happen or were all cactus.

Agreed. I can see why Microsoft and others aren't putting forth more effort in helping - they don't want the bad press that they would inevitably get from dumbasses in gaming "journalism".

Either way, glad the game is still in development. Looks fantastic and I can't wait to play it.

Blam

I can guarantee the cult following this studio has that no matter if the people in media slander it the game is still gonna sell well.

mckmas8808

Banned
I can guarantee the cult following this studio has that no matter if the people in media slander it the game is still gonna sell well.

And if you know that, then there's reason to believe that Microsoft and other Publishers realize this same thing. And I think you are right also. No way companies pass up this indie darling over some bad articles being written. Especially since the game isn't about what we thought it was going to be about.

Helios

It's not an evil mastermind plan. There's nothing master level about it. Just playing into some people fears is all. This post right here is where he decided to give some red meat to the Anti-SJW crowd.

*For people that can't get to Twitter*

It's clear that he wants the waters to be muddy. The tweet I linked to came right after the tweet you linked to. He doesn't want his situation to be clear. He prefers that it's unclear, until funding is met.
That is definitely a possibility, but it's still wild speculation. I can definitely see him getting attacked by people and I can also see how there might be some people in the industry that would not agree with the type of game he's making.

yurinka

Maybe they are looking for money somewhere else because they may have missed badly a milestone or two so their previous publisher left, and the end of this relationship didn't end well. This may explain this and why they can't talk.

Last edited:

olimariOA

Banned
It got suddenly defunded
I knew MS was up to no good

We lost funding without warning. We didn't screw up, no overspending.

Microsoft caved to the whims of the vocal minority of the radical left.
This thing is going to get kickstarted to the moon and back if they ever open it up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It got suddenly defunded
I knew MS was up to no good

Microsoft caved to the whims of the vocal minority of the radical left.
This thing is going to get kickstarted to the moon and back if they ever open it up.

That is unfortunate, but not surprising.

Fingers crossed that they get another publisher, like Devolver who give no fucks. The game looks amazing.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Game looks incredible. What a shame that stupid political/ideological differences are causing this game to get so much negative attention.

Thanks for killing art. What hilarious is these same ideologues will insist "it's time for videogames to grow up" while loudly shouting down actual game software that doesn't match their viewpoint. How adult of them.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
That is the obvious next move. Not sure what they’re waiting for to be honest. Guaranteed it will get funded. A ton of people will contribute just to say “fuck you” to the regressives.

stevish

Neo Member
He seems like a perfectionist, I doubt this was ever going to be released on time. He will get stuck on minute details. It will get funded as long as it's got some flow, as it looks amazing. Will cop when/if it hits! Just ignore the hate dude.

olimariOA

Banned
He seems like a perfectionist, I doubt this was ever going to be released on time. He will get stuck on minute details. It will get funded as long as it's got some flow, as it looks amazing. Will cop when/if it hits! Just ignore the hate dude.

You can't ignore hate that leads to MS completely pulling funding.
Hate that has tied him up in Microsoft's legal fishnet.

What about him seems like a perfectionist? He has a long history of finishing his other projects in other industries.
You're thinking of the guy making 'Ghost Song', not Tim.

stevish

Neo Member

What about him seems like a perfectionist? He has a long history of finishing his other projects in other industries.

stevish

Neo Member

He reminds me of that Phil fish Dev in some way, but I don't base that on much. I just get the impression from his work and some of his tweets that he wants to make it look exactly right, and no shortcuts or rework will stop him.. which I think is admirable.

oagboghi2

It's simple. MS probably maintained publishing rights,(because of course they did. This was meant to be an exclusive) so he can't self fund now. If MS isn't footing the bill, he is up shit creeks.

It's not that hard a scenario to see.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's simple. MS probably maintained publishing rights,(because of course they did. This was meant to be an exclusive) so he can't self fund now. If MS isn't footing the bill, he is up shit creeks.

It's not that hard a scenario to see.

If true, that's total shit.

ShdwDrake

Banned

"What if women where the CEOs instead of men? The lower class men would be fucked..." We been fucked and the men are the CEO's. It's like he went out on the playground and lil Becky pushed him off the jungle gym and he's been traumatized ever since!

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
"What if women where the CEOs instead of men? The lower class men would be fucked..." We been fucked and the men are the CEO's. It's like he went out on the playground and lil Becky pushed him off the jungle gym and he's been traumatized ever since!

I don't think you really know what the premise was/is lol

ShdwDrake

Banned
I don't think you really know what the premise was/is lol

Or how about this: Instead of saying "lol" say: It doesn't seem like you understand the premise; x (x = explanation).

OR we could talk about how his inability to get laid setup a boring story? Or maybe its only interesting the sole perspective of a white male.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Or how about this: Instead of saying "lol" say: It doesn't seem like you understand the premise; x (x = explanation).

OR we could talk about how his inability to get laid setup a boring story? Or maybe its only interesting the sole perspective of a white male.

Nah, you are clearly projecting your own faults. Kinda sad, mate. Should stop doing that.

nkarafo

Someone else is going to publish this for sure. It's too good not to. And it looks pretty far in development too so it shouldn't be too expensive to finish. And then it will become a success and we will all laugh at Microsoft for funding half of the game and not getting a cut. Because screw them.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Well hey it seems like the powers that be agree so it is what it is.

"Powers that be..."? Which powers? The clearly biased gaming media who have had the guy on blast for years now because he supported GamerGate? The social justice "warriors" who cried enough to try and get Microsoft to buckle?

ShdwDrake

Banned
"Powers that be..."? Which powers? The clearly biased gaming media who have had the guy on blast for years now because he supported GamerGate? The social justice "warriors" who cried enough to try and get Microsoft to buckle?

I'm sorry your the one projecting I should have said the money that be. The funding. The people with the money. The media can't pull funding. The money is always the powers the be fam.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm sorry your the one projecting I should have said the money that be. The funding. The people with the money. The media can't pull funding. The money is always the powers the be fam.

I am not projecting at all. I am going by factual evidence as stated by the head developer and studio themselves. You are the one relying on hearsay, devoid of any evidence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom