• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 Actor Possibly Teasing Abby DLC

Jon Neu

Banned
It's almost as of the game wants you to pick a side and whatever morality that it pretends to have just doesn't exist. You can pretend the game is complicated but it's really not, the story and characters doesn't leave much to the imagination and very little is unsaid.

They think the characters are "complicated" and "deep" because they make contradictory stuff that doesn't make any sense, but at best is done for the sake of the subverting of expectations and the artificial advancement of the plot, if not because they are just incompetent and can't write them in a cohesive way.

The game tries so hard to make you empathize with Abby, and still they are incapable of writing her in a way that doesn't make her look like a total psycho Karen who just happens to not give a fuck that her actions brought the death of all her friends (her poor doggo included). Abby is literally happy to murder a pregnant teen, but we should feel bad about her, you know.

They try to sell that Abby forgiving Ellie and Dina's life it's her redemption (even when she was actually happy to murder them), the same way that Ellie forgiving Abby it's her way of "remaining human". But that's literally retarded, you can't have Ellie kill half the population of the USA for her to just have a flashback of Joel before giving Abby the final blow and somehow draw the line of her remaining human or not with just that particular person (the actual person she was justified to murder). They wanted to make a big statement about the cycle of violence and "revenge bad", but they just offered edgy subversions without any substance whatsoever and broken ass uncharismatic characters that wander through the lazy and cheap script without anything interesting or meaningful to offer.

At one point it was just like the final season of Game Of Thrones: the only sensible thing to do was to root for the zombies to kill them all.

Last edited:
What bad scores? It's rocking 93 on Metacritic. Pretty much every mainstream gaming site lavished universal praise on it

I was mostly talking about Youtubers, a few video reviews and personal reviewers. I’ve seen some low scores like the ridiculous review bombing on Metacritc and silly video reviews who gave the game terrible scores because they didn’t like the story. It did well with the professional review sites, but I read a lot of mixed reactions with critics.

Last edited:

renzolama

Neil Druckmann already said that Naughty Dog will not make a story DLC.

Naughty Dog is just a sequel / standalone expansion factory for Sony now, they'll make whatever cost effective brand recognizable content Sony tells them to make. They've been creatively bankrupt since the massive talent exodus after TLOU. The second they announced TLOU2 it became obvious that they're just making unnecessary sequels / side content from this point on.

Last edited:

Strategize

With a prequel. It's the only way to salvage this series.
The only thing a Joel prequel DLC would do is expose hypocrites, since the whole "Hero" fallacy people have conjured up relies on ignoring his backstory because we didn't see it and painting every morally grey situation to be black and white in his favor. So when he's slaughtering random civilians just passing through like it's a casual day job, it'll be impossible to defend.

As a result people will either...
A) Pretend that this some kinda retcon by Neil, therefore completely exposing they don't even remember lines from the first game.
B) Finally admit that the only reason they demonize Abby is down to personal bias rather than her actions actually being any worse than Joel or Ellie.

Something tells me it won't be B.
Everyone loved Joel for 8 years. A hero. Suddenly, Part2 reframes him as a dumb villain everyone hates and he needs to go. Even Ellie stopped talking to him. People are now saying "oh yeah he was bad for rescuing Ellie and saving her life at all cost". Where did that come from?

It's like TLOU2 defenders were brainwashed suddenly.
Never was he painted as a hero in either game, nor a villain. Enjoying or even loving complex characters doesn't make them objectivity good people.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I was mostly talking about Youtubers, a few video reviews and personal reviewers. I’ve seen some low scores like the ridiculous review bombing on Metacritc and silly video reviews who gave the game terrible scores because they didn’t like the story. It did well with the professional review sites, but I read a lot of mixed reactions with critics.

Oh so are able to delineate between professional sites versus general reviews then? You just like to conflate the two when it suits your needs with hyperbole. Good to know.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Gimme. Best character. All kinds of gains
frank-tzeng-sb-abby-main-outfit-1.jpg

DavidGzz

^ Still bigger than most posters in here, lol! I think most of her haters are threatened by all that beef. Muscle memory will have her back in no time.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Naughty Dog is just a sequel / standalone expansion factory for Sony now, they'll make whatever cost effective brand recognizable content Sony tells them to make. They've been creatively bankrupt since the massive talent exodus after TLOU. The second they announced TLOU2 it became obvious that they're just making unnecessary sequels / side content from this point on.

dont think ive read so much horsehit in a single post in while, i wouldnt even know where to start other than you sir are a bit of balloon

Jon Neu

Banned
dont think ive read so much horsehit in a single post in while, i wouldnt even know where to start other than you sir are a bit of balloon

Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
Uncharted 4
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Uncharted Remaster Collection
The Last Of Us
The Last Of Us Remastered
The Last Of Us Left Behind
The Last Of Us II
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2
Crash Bandicoot 3
Crash Mario Kart
Jak
Jak 2
Jak 3
Jak Collection
Jak Mario Kart

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
Uncharted 4
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Uncharted Remaster Collection
The Last Of Us
The Last Of Us Remastered
The Last Of Us Left Behind
The Last Of Us II
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2
Crash Bandicoot 3
Crash Mario Kart
Jak
Jak 2
Jak 3
Jak Collection
Jak Mario Kart

yeah but we'll not mention that each game has been absolutely fucking stellar and pushes the envelope of their respective genres forward, unlike say the ASS Creed games

Oh so are able to delineate between professional sites versus general reviews then? You just like to conflate the two when it suits your needs with hyperbole. Good to know.

Suits my needs? Nah, I’m just stating what I observed in these reviews, that’s all. I consider most reviews whether it’s from a Youtuber, magazine or Kotaku to be a legitimate opinion and I treat and approach them the same way. What was peculiar to me is, why are most of the professional sites giving the game very high scores, yet some general reviews are giving it mixed scores?

Last edited:

tassletine

They think the characters are "complicated" and "deep" because they make contradictory stuff that doesn't make any sense, but at best is done for the sake of the subverting of expectations and the artificial advancement of the plot, if not because they are just incompetent and can't write them in a cohesive way.

The game tries so hard to make you empathize with Abby, and still they are incapable of writing her in a way that doesn't make her look like a total psycho Karen who just happens to not give a fuck that her actions brought the death of all her friends (her poor doggo included). Abby is literally happy to murder a pregnant teen, but we should feel bad about her, you know.

They try to sell that Abby forgiving Ellie and Dina's life it's her redemption (even when she was actually happy to murder them), the same way that Ellie forgiving Abby it's her way of "remaining human". But that's literally retarded, you can't have Ellie kill half the population of the USA for her to just have a flashback of Joel before giving Abby the final blow and somehow draw the line of her remaining human or not with just that particular person (the actual person she was justified to murder). They wanted to make a big statement about the cycle of violence and "revenge bad", but they just offered edgy subversions without any substance whatsoever and broken ass uncharismatic characters that wander through the lazy and cheap script without anything interesting or meaningful to offer.

At one point it was just like the final season of Game Of Thrones: the only sensible thing to do was to root for the zombies to kill them all.

The writers got Empathy and Sympathy confused. They couldn't think of a way of making any of the main characters likeable enough so they went with having you pity them instead.
Some people REALLY get off on that, but a lot of others just shrug and think the characters were dicks. Me included.

Arachnid

Meh, not interested in playing as Abby more. ESPECIALLY not in a flash back with her dad. Sounds like more cutsy character building DLC like Left Behind (which was pointless IMO since we already had enough background on that entire ordeal in the DLC).

Top Bottom