• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 Is 'Hands Down the Most Ambitious Game Naughty Dog Has Ever Made' - 'You Are Not Ready For TLOU 2' Says Troy Baker.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Maybe they will have actual enjoyable and non-repetitive gameplay in this one ?
I had to finish the last one on youtube.

Maybe this time knowing this, i will head straight there. This being a movie and all.
I wonder if people that say these things have actually played the game. I used to say similar things before I actually played TLOU :) then it became one of my favorite games in existence

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Hope that doesn't mean open world. I wouldn't mind an open world set in this universe, but not the main titles, and not from ND. First one is in my top 5 all time, no multiplayer at launch is already killing some hype, open world would slaughter it.
It's not open world. The environments are wider but it's still linear

Ballthyrm

I wonder if people that say these things have actually played the game. I used to say similar things before I actually played TLOU :) then it became one of my favorite games in existence

Nothing wrong with that, it's just personal preference.
I understand why people liked the game, if it didn't have something there, i wouldn't even have bothered to watch the end on youtube TBH.
I just didn't see the point in keeping playing myself to get to the part that interested me in the experience (ie: the cinematics)

A lot of the "new AAA" that Naughty Dog seem to be preaching has put a strong emphasis on Character development and storytelling.
I like games that are centered around the Gameplay more, this is not exactly what Naughty Dog is providing, nothing wrong with that.

You can't be the best at everything.

Hobbygaming

I understand why people liked the game, if it didn't have something there, i wouldn't even have bothered to watch the end on youtube TBH.
I just didn't see the point in keeping playing myself to get to the part that interested me in the experience (ie: the cinematics)

A lot of the "new AAA" that Naughty Dog seem to be preaching has put a strong emphasis on Character development and storytelling.
I like games that are centered around the Gameplay more, this is not exactly what Naughty Dog is providing, nothing wrong with that.

TLOU has sublime gameplay the melee is better than any shooter, the weapons have great impact especially the shotgun and El Diablo

Dacon

Banned
Honestly, if you don't like TLOU you just have bad taste. Certain games are just objectively good.

While I'm a fan of TLOU, I feel like this is a really bad take, that reeks of narcissism.
Maybe this time knowing this, i will head straight there. This being a movie and all.

Most people average about 12 hours of playtime on normal, and about 93 minutes of that is cutscenes. Not much of a movie tbh, it's not like it was MGS4 or something. The game does drag a little bit in pacing here and there, but it is by no means playing itself.

Hobbygaming

While I'm a fan of TLOU, I feel like this is a really bad take, that reeks of narcissism.

Most people average about 12 hours of playtime on normal, and about 93 minutes of that is cutscenes. Not much of a movie tbh, it's not like it was MGS4 or something. The game does drag a little bit in pacing here and there, but it is by no means playing itself.
This. TLOU has a lot of gameplay. I'm convinced that anyone who calls it a "movie game" has never even booted the game up

Last edited:
Presuppositions that anything not purely video is gameplay. TLOU is a decent movie. It's normie tier shit for the lowest common denominator. It almost feels like it's made for toddlers. It's for people who don't want to play videogames but will happily pay for $60 for a movie.

Might want to consider that as an angle of discussion. Movie entry value has steadily decreased, so now we can charge 200-300% by inserting it into your proprietary hardware of choice.

Flicking through a video of the full game, there is pretty much no gameplay for 40 minutes when the first time you really have to use any brain cells as the chest high walls appear with some enemies. That's before we consider the pushing forward in the Made in China® environments, doing the walkie talkie sequences and running forward through the QTE events throughout the game. It has surrendered so much to the "experience" that there's no reason to take it seriously as a video game.

Maybe as a comparison I think HL2 is complete garbage. I think we can mostly thank that game for the crap that came after. I got done with "playing" Max Payne 3 for the first time last week. It was horrible to get through and the thought of doing it again makes me feel ill.

Not sure where else to go with this now. If you want a bit of rhetoric back at you; I don't see any reason to take people who think TLOU was a good game seriously about anything. Might want to consider investing in a UHD player and some movies that are cheaper and less troublesome to EXPERIENCE, you don't need to hold in the "Play" button to watch them.

Most games are shit these days. But especially the "top rated" on the non-Nintendo consoles. We have went full circle where the Nintendo titles are actually made for people with half a brain, and Sony seems to be targeted toward 40+ males who want to escape. I know because I've worked with the type of people now buying their games*. A strange contrast to maybe 20 years ago which I think the top rated still would've tried to capture the origins of the medium. Exceptions would've been the big RPGs from Japan maybe. But who cares.

You've wasted my brain cells. How does someone really realise TLOU is shit? Some hypotheticals. Think about being aware of what you're actually doing moment to moment while watching it? Imagine you're streaming the game to a friend and every minute he's whispering in your ear, "Has the game started yet?". Figure it out. I'm going to post this.

nJ3mj8N.jpg

Last edited:

wintersouls

I can't understand how anyone can say that TLOU is a movie. The only explanation I see is that he has not played the game, he does not know how to differentiate a movie from a video game, or easier, it is simply a troll,

A.Romero

I can't believe discussing if this gaming GENRE is a game or not.

There are many many options out there, more than ever before. AAA games like this one satisfy a huge market. A lot people like it, a lot of people don't. What's the problem with that? Is it really that necessary to validate ourselves by shitting on other people's preferences?

When will we learn that there is absolutely nothing objective in taste?

Let's enjoy what we want and let other people be happy. There is nothing constructive in arguing that gaming has gone to shit (it hasn't, unless you expect 100% of products are fit to what you like) or if it has a lot of cutscenes it should be considered a movie.

Comparing games like these to what Nintendo does just detracts from the conversation. Like expecting every movie to be festival worthy or every romcom to have Oscar worthy cinematography.

I know it's hard but we can do it. There is a lot of smart people in GAF and luckily this is a great platform that allows conversations to be segmented and isolated from each other. Like classic games? Go discuss them in the appropriate thread.

MacReady13

This exactly. Story wise, I was intrigued to see what happens. Gameplay wise this game was just a generic 3rd person shooter like Uncharted, but with more sneaking and hiding. Game play was boring. Story was interesting. I never replayed the game after finishing it once. Similar to the Uncharted series- fun enough to play through once but as soon as I'd seen the story, the game play NEVER got me to come back. Funny that I can replay a game like Super Mario World a thousand times yet it has a shit house story...

Presuppositions that anything not purely video is gameplay. TLOU is a decent movie. It's normie tier shit for the lowest common denominator. It almost feels like it's made for toddlers. It's for people who don't want to play videogames but will happily pay for $60 for a movie.

Might want to consider that as an angle of discussion. Movie entry value has steadily decreased, so now we can charge 200-300% by inserting it into your proprietary hardware of choice.

Flicking through a video of the full game, there is pretty much no gameplay for 40 minutes when the first time you really have to use any brain cells as the chest high walls appear with some enemies. That's before we consider the pushing forward in the Made in China® environments, doing the walkie talkie sequences and running forward through the QTE events throughout the game. It has surrendered so much to the "experience" that there's no reason to take it seriously as a video game.

Maybe as a comparison I think HL2 is complete garbage. I think we can mostly thank that game for the crap that came after. I got done with "playing" Max Payne 3 for the first time last week. It was horrible to get through and the thought of doing it again makes me feel ill.

Not sure where else to go with this now. If you want a bit of rhetoric back at you; I don't see any reason to take people who think TLOU was a good game seriously about anything. Might want to consider investing in a UHD player and some movies that are cheaper and less troublesome to EXPERIENCE, you don't need to hold in the "Play" button to watch them.

Most games are shit these days. But especially the "top rated" on the non-Nintendo consoles. We have went full circle where the Nintendo titles are actually made for people with half a brain, and Sony seems to be targeted toward 40+ males who want to escape. I know because I've worked with them. A strange contrast to maybe 20 years ago which I think the top rated still would've tried to capture the origins of the medium. Exceptions would've been the big RPGs from Japan maybe. But who cares.

You've wasted my brain cells. How does someone really realise TLOU is shit? Some hypotheticals. Think about being aware of what you're actually doing moment to moment while watching it? Imagine you're streaming the game to a friend and every minute he's whispering in your ear, "Has the game started yet?". Figure it out. I'm going to post this.

Serious response to your comment here, especially the last part:

I think you are dead on correct. I am a 42 yr old male gamer. I started playing games early in life on computers, then mostly Nintendo consoles all through the 80s and 90s. I got really into PC gaming for a while (until I had kids and it got too expensive), and then moved back over to consoles when the 360 and PS3 came out. I've been pretty much only a Sony guy for several years now and even invested pretty heavily in PSVR gear and software.

Here's the problem though: for the last several months, my PS4 and PSVR setup were literally sitting there collecting dust. I can't explain why. I still hadn't played through the copy of Spider-Man my friend loaned me, I still hadn't finished my back catalogue of VR games, I had plenty of things to play to tide me over until PS5. But the thought of playing one more PS4 game was just thoroughly unappealing to me anymore. I had resorted to just playing VainGlory on my iPhone in bed most nights. (Still super addicted to that game.)

My kids have had a Switch for a couple of years now, and I have largely ignored it. I got it for them to play and didn't want to take it over or get super into something and then have one of them accidentally delete my save or something like that. So I just pretended it didn't exist and was happy they were leaving my PS4 alone because they were too busy with Zelda and Mario. But over the holidays my nephew showed me the NES and SNES apps on his Switch. He let me goof around with them for a while and I was thrilled. I didn't even know these things existed. I played Punch Out for over an hour and was over the moon the whole time. I was actually having fun gaming again!!! I was even smiling!

Long story short, from that moment, I got more and more into the Switch. Not just the NES/SNES emulators, but also the new games. It was a revelation. I was excited about games again. I hadn't felt even motivated to power up my PS4 in months, but something had snapped in my brain with the Switch. When I stopped playing something I actually looked forward to playing again later. Suddenly these Nintendo games were speaking to me again. Decades after I stopped playing SNES.

It got to the point where I started asking my kids if I could have a turn on the Switch, so I bought myself a Switch Lite and am working my way through all the first party titles right now. It is such a good feeling to be this happy about gaming again, and also to not really care about all the console war BS this fall when Sony and MS have their pissing contest. I don't remember the last time games put a grin on my face the way Super Mario Odyssey does.

So yeah--to me, it's all about the software, and there's something about Nintendo at this moment, at my age, in my situation, that's waking up my inner gamer again. The last major game I finished on PS4 was Sekiro. I think after defeating every boss and seeing everything there was to see in that game, my brain was broken or something. Nintendo seems to have fixed it for now.

It went from day one, to wait for sale like all AAA games for myself. There will be nothing innovative in terms of gameplay and i already can see it will be nothing but a SJW fantasy revenge story. The only way this game can be revived is to turn back time, never show anything and just release, but its over and so has any anticipation.

ND is a top tier dev. but this idea that this as well as Cyberpunk will be some sort of groundbreaking evolution in terms of games, if this is your belief, get ready to be extremely disappointed. These titles along have been in dev. for over 5 years and they didnt start drawing up plans with new ideas, they used what was working and what was hot at the time. They will be good titles, but like RDR2 they will come out with praise and forgotten the following week.

Durask

Honestly, if you don't like TLOU you just have bad taste. Certain games are just objectively good.

TLOU 2 will be the GOTG.

I played the first game when it came out (bought it because of all the hype reviews) for 3 hours and got bored. Just don't like Resident Evil type games. Couldn't get into any RE game either.
Zero interest in the second one, even without any potential wokeness issues. Won't even play it if it was free.

wintersouls

It went from day one, to wait for sale like all AAA games for myself. There will be nothing innovative in terms of gameplay and i already can see it will be nothing but a SJW fantasy revenge story. The only way this game can be revived is to turn back time, never show anything and just release, but its over and so has any anticipation.

ND is a top tier dev. but this idea that this as well as Cyberpunk will be some sort of groundbreaking evolution in terms of games, if this is your belief, get ready to be extremely disappointed. These titles along have been in dev. for over 5 years and they didnt start drawing up plans with new ideas, they used what was working and what was hot at the time. They will be good titles, but like RDR2 they will come out with praise and forgotten the following week.

You speak as if you had passed the game, or you had a magic crystal ball to see the future. Analyzing a game, a movie or an experience without having lived it for yourself is something very childish, it is not appropriate for an adult.

Last edited:

OrionNebula

I played the first game when it came out (bought it because of all the hype reviews) for 3 hours and got bored. Just don't like Resident Evil type games. Couldn't get into any RE game either.
Zero interest in the second one, even without any potential wokeness issues. Won't even play it if it was free.

I can appreciate that.

There’s plenty of gaming genres I can’t get into, too. I just don’t go about calling those games out for what they are not, though, because I can’t get my point across in a normal matter. But hey, that’s just me...

At least you makes a hell lot more sense to me than people hating on it because they think it’s a goddamn movie

Carna

Banned
I never liked Troy Baker, after the Silent Hill HD debacle. especially when his take on James is absolutely terrible. you know you fucked up when a nobody did a better job of voicing a character than a overused voice actor that got his start from low paid anime dubs from Funimation.

SleepDoctor

Banned

TLOU 2 will be the GOTG.

All games are "objectively good". You sound like a triggered fanboy saying shit like that.

While i loved tlou im not of the fanboy opinion that if someone doesn't like it, they have bad taste. Different strokes for different folks.

Sure half the ppl shittinng on it are fanboys but some legitimately didn't like it.

Shmunter

All games are "objectively good". You sound like a triggered fanboy saying shit like that.

While i loved tlou im not of the fanboy opinion that if someone doesn't like it, they have bad taste. Different strokes for different folks.

Sure half the ppl shittinng on it are fanboys but some legitimately didn't like it.
He said “Certain” games, let’s not hyperbole. Some games are so finely crafted that dismissing that it‘s nothing but mastercraft in execution is pretty rare.

Hobbygaming

Most games are shit these days. But especially the "top rated" on the non-Nintendo consoles. We have went full circle where the Nintendo titles are actually made for people with half a brain, and Sony seems to be targeted toward 40+ males who want to escape. I know because I've worked with the type of people now buying their games*. A strange contrast to maybe 20 years ago which I think the top rated still would've tried to capture the origins of the medium. Exceptions would've been the big RPGs from Japan maybe. But who cares.

nJ3mj8N.jpg
I hope someday you play the game and see how wrong you are

Hobbygaming

I can't understand how anyone can say that TLOU is a movie. The only explanation I see is that he has not played the game, he does not know how to differentiate a movie from a video game, or easier, it is simply a troll,
It makes it so easy to spot people that haven't played TLOU

SleepDoctor

Banned

nJ3mj8N.jpg

HL2, max payne 3 are garbage and tlou isn't a video game.

Maybe video games aren't for you bud.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
OK.

I'll be ready to play it if you're willing to pay me to put up with Naughty Dog's drivel and pandering. If you don't wanna pay me then I guess I'll just watch it on YouTube.

Naughty Dog and therefore Troy are not getting any of my money. For whatever it's worth, I loved TLOU but I don't like the direction ND have gone in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Hobbygaming

What games are innovative these days? And how are they innovative?

I honestly don't understand what ND sees of so "ambitious" in this game.
The visuals may be nice, but that's it. For me is just a very simple game. For me the Jack series was much more complex and "ambitious" than anything that they did after.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I just wanted to play more as old joel. That also ruined (amongst many other issues) gears 5.

Hobbygaming

I honestly don't understand what ND sees of so "ambitious" in this game.
The visuals may be nice, but that's it. For me is just a very simple game. For me the Jack series was much more complex and "ambitious" than anything that they did after.
They're probably talking about the game as a whole package: The visuals, the animations with motion-matching, the depth of the AI and how they communicate to find you, the set pieces, the melee and how it's context driven, the pacing and story

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

No, all games are not objectively good. What is this kumbaya shit?

Some games are objectively good, and tlou is simply one of them. If you didn't like it, you either don't like that style game or have off taste. It's a good game, period.

Nothing fanboyish about that statement.

Top Bottom