• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 is in its final stages of development, says game's Co-Director

Bullet Club

The Last of Us 2 is in its final stages of development, says game's Co-Director

Naughty Dog is hiring to "close out" development on The Last of Us 2

MqHDA8u.jpg

The Last of Us 2 is easily one of the most anticipated new games of 2019 and beyond, so it's no wonder that every subsequent week has brought with it more speculation, gossip, and rumour about the title's potential release date. The upcoming PS4 game, according to a recent retailer leak, may be arriving as early as October 2019, which has since been corroborated by news that Naughty Dog has wrapped filming on the sequel and rumours that we'll be hearing more from Sony before E3 2019 is over, despite their absence from this year's show.

The Last of Us 2 is even listed next to other 2019 releases like Rage 2 and Days Gone as "coming soon" on the official PlayStation website, but a recent update via Twitter from the game's Co-Director, Anthony Newman, suggests a 2019 launch isn't yet guaranteed. In a tweet announcing that Naughty Dog is recruiting to hire a large number of animators, game designers, and programmers to join The Last of Us 2's team, Newman said that the studio is now seeking to "close out" work on the game, suggesting it is in its final stages of development.

That's good news for The Last of Us fans, as it sounds as though no huge Uncharted 4 style delays are impending, but it also leaves the window open for at least another year of development on the game before it finally releases. Think about how long it often takes to hire, train, and get people working on a project at any company, let alone one as busy as Naughty Dog. We could be talking several months before those new employees are actually able to help "close out" development, a process which – in itself – has a infamously flexible timeline.

In short; yes, it's great that the studio is finishing up its development with The Last of Us 2, but that doesn't mean we can expect to see the sequel launching before Christmas. That said, Sony needs to have something to show for itself come the Holiday season, so perhaps Death Stranding or Final Fantasy 7 Remake will fill the gap and fill out the list of best PS4 games to play this year. Either that, or we'll be hearing more about the recently announced PS5...

Source: Gamesradar

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This article is a MASSIVE stretch.

Basically, it passes the author's very liberal interpretation of the developers' words to sell the "news" that the game is in the final phase of development.

Absolutely nothing in Newmann's tweets suggests that.

Wimbledon

Wow you can actually see the veins on his head , i got to hand it too Naughty Dog the graphic quality has always been top notch

Last edited:

joe_zazen

Those characters look really unhealthy. Bleeding gums, intestinal parasites, etc. I hope it doesnt lead to general weakness, affecting their ability to use ball peen hammers during the super frun looking torture sequences.

This game looks so depressing, lol.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Those characters look really unhealthy. Bleeding gums, intestinal parasites, etc. I hope it doesnt lead to general weakness, affecting their ability to use ball peen hammers during the super frun looking torture sequences.

This game looks so depressing, lol.
So it's like the first one :D

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
The one game that absolutely DID NOT need a sequel

I don't trust Druckmann at the helm alone whatsoever, especially without Straley.

The woke shit in this is gonna be unbearable if that last trailer is anything to go by. YO LEMME KISS MY GIRLFRIEND FOR AN AWKWARDLY LONG TIME SO YOU REALLY KNOW WE'RE TOTES GAY.

mckmas8808

Banned

I don't trust Druckmann at the helm alone whatsoever, especially without Straley.

The woke shit in this is gonna be unbearable if that last trailer is anything to go by. YO LEMME KISS MY GIRLFRIEND FOR AN AWKWARDLY LONG TIME SO YOU REALLY KNOW WE'RE TOTES GAY.

You hate gay people or something?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Did that trailer really upset you that much? If she was kissing a man, would you still complain about it being an awkwardly long time? You and I apparently have very different interpretations of annoying wokeness. I thought the trailer was awesome.

Jesus Christ, get a grip.

LOLCats

Banned
I think the last of us is a shitty game and this one will be too.

Sony and this studio can shove it straight up their ass.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Did that trailer really upset you that much? If she was kissing a man, would you still complain about it being an awkwardly long time? You and I apparently have very different interpretations of annoying wokeness. I thought the trailer was awesome.

Jesus Christ, get a grip.

I’m not upset at all. And my grip is firm.

Could have fooled me. Are you sure? Like really sure? Because your previous post was anything but.

Never thought that having a lesbian as the main character in a game would cause some people to turn full on edgelord.
Being a lesbian isn't a virtue but I also grow tired of these hyper dramatic zombie soaps.

Or just soaps in general like game of thrones I can't sit through them at all.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Wait, couldn't the act of "closing out" take any amount of time? What exactly does closing out even mean? I don't think the game is all that far off but I reckon this'll be another Breath of the Wild where it'll come out on PS4 at the same time as PS5 so Q2 2020 most likely.

Please don't run like shit on base PS4.
I'm sure it'll be fine on base PS4, ND are wizards and I doubt they'll settle on shoddy performance but I bet they're hard at work on a PS5 version already and that'll be the best version.

I’m not upset at all. And my grip is firm.
Pretty much everyone raging over the TLOU2 trailer and all other so-called "progressive propaganda" in games:
a7c79d6561038cfc81f996c29255b3c1.png

The next step in their amazing argument of why they "ain't even mad" always being:
no_u_for_knowyourmeme.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MB1

Ellery

I need this game. The only game I am more hyped for is Death Stranding.

2019 release would pleasantly surprise me.

MrRogers

Betting hard at this point, that any prog themes in this title will be obnoxiously thrown in the players face, I doubt it will be subtle and underplayed like in the first last of us. Question is, will it be enough to turn a substantial portion of players off? I'm actually thinking the overt realistic violence will be a bigger hit to the game, especially if it's narrative is as depressing as the first game. But it really comes down to sales, will it be millions or tens of millions.

hunthunt

Banned
I hate this game, so boring and bad I never understood why everyone liked it, and with these lesbians as the principal character thats a big no for me and those leftist faggots at Naughty Dog lmao this will be a 5/10 game and no one will buy it.

am I doing it right?

joe_zazen

So it's like the first one :D

That one had a giraffe, and no one looked like a concentration camp victim iirc + dumb jokes and a video game arcade and no nauseating torture sequences. We’ll see if the dark as fuck marketing tone for #2 is hiding some hahas in the real game.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I hate this game, so boring and bad I never understood why everyone liked it, and with these lesbians as the principal character thats a big no for me and those leftist faggots at Naughty Dog lmao this will be a 5/10 game and no one will buy it.

am I doing it right?

No

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
That one had a giraffe, and no one looked like a concentration camp victim iirc + dumb jokes and a video game arcade and no nauseating torture sequences. We’ll see if the dark as fuck marketing tone for #2 is hiding some hahas in the real game.
Yea, the first one just had an old dude trying to convince a 14 year old to be his girlfriend/wife/harem and then tried to outright kill her.

Gamerguy84

I couldn’t be more Day One than I am for this game.

One of few titles that I’m willing to go to a midnight launch for

Me too.

I like to go to Wal-marts at midnight for games. They have to start selling it at midnight the day of release. Always have to dig it out of a stock box but they always find it quick.

The employees get mad at me for this but I dont do it often.

Also, I hope this game has a PS5 upgrade.

rəddəM

I want to see more of this game so bad.
Those fluid E3 2018 gameplay's animations, A.I. and gore gives me life.

Top Bottom