• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 needs to transition to full RPG gameplay

HeelPower

I think a big problem with The Last of Us is the massive disconnect between the complex narrative its trying to tell ,and the extremely narrow visioned gameplay.

The last of us cutscenes try to paint morally gray ,deeply introspective characters in a harsh world of turmoil.The gameplay is standard fare sneaking or shoot outs arena,every human character you encounter is a brainless enemy unless they get a cutscene introduction(like in the Case of Bill,Sam and Henry or Tess)

Its simply far from a convincing world.Its not inhabited,its not alive. There are two things in TLoU : Enemies and resources to take them down.Oh yeah there were planks and ladders.

I think the RPG genre is much better suited for the kind of narrative complexities they are aiming for ,but didn't deliver outside of strict cutscenes.

The Witcher 2 & 3 did an infinitely better job of relaying the world to the player in more ways than constant battle. You are likely to run into NPCs, reason with them,have them explain to you their struggle or sometimes they're just pure assholes who can't be reasoned with.Its much less predictable ,varied ,and more cohesive with the narrative and the world they're trying to portray in their traditional cutscenes.I just think games like Horizon and Witcher 3(among others in RPG ofcourse) have advanced far beyond ND's expressive ability in gameplay.

The Last of Us has the potential to be amazing ,but being a strict gallery shooter/stealth game doesn't do its writers justice ,and severely limits the game's expressive potential.
Imagine the last of us with true interaction that isn't just killing. A world thats equal parts dangerous ,but also has a human aspect.I think the RPG genre can afford TLoU much needed gameplay flexibility to fully describe characters that can do more than just shoot dummy targets in hallways.

ND needs to break out of the strict arena shooter genre,especially for The Last of Us.

Considering what people are calling RPGs nowadays, the only difference would be meaningless dialogue choices and more crafting

I disagree. RPGs tend to focus on building up your characters so that they are powerful enough to take on a specific foe or challenge later on. TLoU isn't really about that.

To many assumptions here, the game is one of the best selling new ips on the market, I think people love it the way it is (I do).

I think a big problem with The Last of Us is the massive disconnect between the complex narrative its trying to tell ,and the extremely narrow visioned gameplay.

The last of us cutscenes try to paint morally gray ,deeply introspective characters in a harsh world of turmoil.

The gameplay is standard fare sneaking or shoot outs arena,every human character you encounter is a brainless enemy unless they get a cutscene introduction(like in the Case of Bill,Sam and Henry or Tess)

Its simply far from a convincing world.Its not inhabited,its not alive. There are two things in TLoU : Enemies and resources to take them down.Oh yeah there were planks and ladders.

I think the RPG genre is much better suited for the kind of narrative complexities they are aiming for ,but didn't deliver outside of strict cutscenes.

The Witcher 2 & 3 did an infinitely better job of relaying the world to the player in more ways than constant battle. You are likely to run into NPCs, reason with them,have them explain to you their struggle or sometimes they're just pure assholes who can't be reasoned with.Its much less predictable ,varied ,and more cohesive with the narrative and the world they're trying to portray in their traditional cutscenes.

I just think games like Horizon and Witcher 3(among others in RPG ofcourse) have advanced far beyond ND's expressive ability in gameplay.

The Last of Us has the potential to be amazing ,but being a strict gallery shooter/stealth game doesn't do its writers justice ,and severely limits the game's expressive potential.
Imagine the last of us with true interaction that isn't just killing. A world thats equal parts dangerous ,but also has a human aspect.I think the RPG genre can afford TLoU much needed gameplay flexibility to fully describe characters that can do more than just shoot dummy targets in hallways.

ND needs to break out of the strict arena shooter genre,especially for The Last of Us.

VgWtvvA.gif

Fezan

Open world RPG lite with towers and loot boxes every where.
Also Fun climbing mechanics like looking at stamina meter while climbing

Khezu

Only if it's turn based.

Seeing a game like that with turn based combat would sure be something.

It would also probably completely alienate all of it's fans.

Cubas

You know, I came into this thread ready to disagree with you but the points raised are actually really good.

TLoU 2 could with some RPG elements (dialogue trees, mostly).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Whats up with the weird ND threads lately ? Feels like everyone knows better than themselves how to handle their IPs...lol.

sn00zer

Someone please photoshop the last of us with health bars above enemies heads and numbers of health being knocked off

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
the last thing i want from TLOU 2 is RPG elements, dialogue choices and an open world - that all sounds miserable

give me focused gameplay, well paced story beats that the creators control and meaningful dialogue - keep it tight, keep it linear.

this guy gets it

I don't really see this. And it's not like RPGs are inherently superior in said things. The Last of Us did just fine in the mechanics and story department. Really good game overall.

The combat in TLoU is used to make a point with fast-paced action, well relatively, resulting in brutal kills on enemies which makes since within the context of the world and Joels's character.

So no. I disagree.

Also people of this world prefer to kill each other in any way possible. What do you mean an RPG would be better?

I disagree. If anything the story and world of TLOU lends itseld to less player agency and "role playing". You aren't tasked with creating your own version of Ellie or Joel.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I disagree. RPGs tend to focus on building up your characters so that they are powerful enough to take on a specific foe or challenge later on. TLoU isn't really about that.

He seems to be talking about actual role playing. Not adding combat skill trees or whatever.

But The Last of Us is pretty explicit in seperating the players from the characters narratively by design.

I'd like less RPG systems actually. The Pills were more than enough. Less Progression Treads, more mechanics that enhance the core experience like more complex Stealth systems.

I disagree. If anything the story and world of TLOU lends itseld to less player agency and "role playing". You aren't tasked with creating your own version of Ellie or Joel.

Pretty soon gamers are gonna be asking why this movie they just saw at the theater didn't give them dialogue choices

not every game needs to be an RPG, there's still a place for linear story driven games and ND does 'em better than just about anyone else in the AAA space

Top Bottom