• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us' autosave has a glitch. Read if you're playing. [Apparently fixed]

T-0800

I'm confused as to what I need to do.

Yesterday I played for about 2 hours. Probably an hour and a half for the first session and then 30 for the second. With the second I noticed that when I went to quit it wasn't saving etc. I haven't gone back to the game since then and have since seen this topic. Do I need to restart the game for the 'fix' to take place and if so do I need to delete my save file?

Thanks.

Just lost about 6-7 hours of progress thanks to this. And it was because the game hard locked. Right near the end as well. Good job on testing your game ND. Completely soured my experience and I doubt I'll even go back and finish it for a long time now.

Robso

So it has been fixed-fixed?

Appears so.

Sony released the following comment to IGN. In short, the problem was actually on Naughty Dog's servers, and it should now be fixed.

Some players may have been encountering an issue with The Last of Us which affected the autosave feature, which can result in a loss of progress in the single-player campaign. The team at Naughty Dog has been diligently investigating as soon as we heard from our community, and we have determined the cause to be on servers for The Last of Us which were capturing player statistics. We have made a change to ours to address this issue. All players should quit any game in progress out to the XMB and restart The Last of Us. All players can now enjoy single-player and online multiplayer matches as normal.

We will continue to monitor forums and social media, and investigate any other issues that may present themselves.

guys, am having some problems not sure if its related to this. so my download is 70% finished and i started playing the game. as soon as i reach the part where
joel carries his daughter and starts running and tommy opens a gate to go through a sideway
, a part of the geometry completely disappears and i cant do anything. when i press the start button its still showing as autosaving and cant quit to the main menu from there.

help me gaf.

Spoilers dude!

What you're describing sounds like the glitch except for the messed up geometry part. Reboot and try again, tell us if it still happens.

I don't know about losing progress, but when I want to save I have to wait about a minute for the "Autosaving still in progress" to go away.

pje122

Can someone please upload a completed save file for me?

I played all the way to Tommy's dam but then that idiot got stuck behind a box and there was no way for me to progress without resetting my PS3. So I got screwed through the combination of 2 glitches. Can someone PLEASE give me a save file that I can upload to my PS3 to resume at the dam?

Jarmel

Banned
Ugh trophies are still glitched for me. Started a Survivor playthrough anyway but I'm going to be pissed if it doesn't kick in when I finish it.

I don't know about losing progress, but when I want to save I have to wait about a minute for the "Autosaving still in progress" to go away.

This is still the case after last night's system update. It's not a minute, it's anywhere from 8 - 20 seconds, not consistent. But that's still pretty annoying when all I want to do is save.

dylanfitzgerald

Neo Member
There seems to be a very intrusive bug in all 3 copies of "The Last Of Us" I have played.

I first rented it from a redbox and about a half hour in (after you shoot the man with the broken mask) I come across a freeze when Joel bends down and you are prompted to use "R2" to listen. I ejected the disc wiped it off with soft cotton and put it back in. Froze again.

Thinking this was just an issue with a damaged rented copy I bought the game at a GameStop location given its masterpiece reviews. Now just to be safe I deleted the save data from the last game. Played it through until it froze at the exact same spot.

I read the fixes reported here, first I uninstalled (deleted TLOU from the game data utility) and deleted the save file, and restarted the game without the patch and offline and it still froze in the same place (this is about two weeks after ND said it was safe to play it online) I tried it in a multitude of different fixes, I went online installed the patch, went back offline played it to no avail.

Finally I decided to make sure it wasn't my playstation so I took it to a friends house and played it on his playstation where it froze again in the exact same spot. Also (on my console) I have been playing Black Ops 2 and watching DVDs without any issue.

Returned it to GameStop as there didn't seem to be anyway around this, it's literally unplayable. They didn't seem concerned-- got a new copy and a warranty on it for the next year knowing the problem more than likely wont be solved in their 30 day return policy. Went home disconnected the Internet (had already deleted the game data) and tried again. Froze in the exact same spot.

That's three different discs not connected to the Internet that froze. I don't mean to be rude but I'm beyond surprised that this game was put on shelves in the condition it is in.

While many people have had their issues resolved by simply turning off their Internet or even just signing out, it appears the sever isn't the only problem given this issue keeps arising offline. The only thing that occurred to me is maybe the server in my area (Los Angeles County) may have an issue that servers around the country don't, but still doesn't compute given the majority of my tests where done offline.

Mik_Pad

Banned
That's really weird I have played through the games 2 times now that's about 40h on a upgraded 40 GB PS3 and I haven't found any glitches. I would say it was a problem with your system but you said you tried on another PS3... Hmm weird.

I don't think the issue from this thread is the same you are experiencing since ND fixed it quickly.

zma1013

Thank you for your time.

What model PS3's have you played it on? Old FAT ones can have problems playing the game.

Did you ask the Gamestop if they had other people returning the games for the same problem? Who knows, perhaps there's a bad batch of discs that got delivered around your area. Maybe try ordering the game online from Amazon and see if it works. It's a stretch but it might work.

Other than the brief autosave glitch, the majority of people have played the game just fine otherwise we'd have a giant Last of Us thread about how the game keeps freezing on that one spot. Your problem doesn't sound anything at all like the autosave problem that ND fixed so I'm not sure why you are insistent on playing it offline, although it certainly doesn't hurt to try everything. I played through the game without any issues, even while signed on to the internet. I don't know what you can do about your problem though as it sounds like you tried everything you could to fix it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
dylanfitzgerald said:
There seems to be a very intrusive bug in all 3 copies of "The Last Of Us" I have played.

Are you using the same save file by any chance? Because the behaviour you're describing sounds like something that might be caused by a corrupted save.

The save glitch was a pure server-side thing that was remotely fixed in hours btw, not blaming you for the necro-bump but this thread should (imho, not trying to backseat mod) have been locked so bug reports like yours got channelled into one of other TLOU threads where more people might be able to help you out.

dylanfitzgerald

Neo Member
That's really weird I have played through the games 2 times now that's about 40h on a upgraded 40 GB PS3 and I haven't found any glitches. I would say it was a problem with your system but you said you tried on another PS3... Hmm weird.

I don't think the issue from this thread is the same you are experiencing since ND fixed it quickly.

What model PS3's have you played it on? Old FAT ones can have problems playing the game.

Did you ask the Gamestop if they had other people returning the games for the same problem? Who knows, perhaps there's a bad batch of discs that got delivered around your area. Maybe try ordering the game online from Amazon and see if it works. It's a stretch but it might work.

Other than the brief autosave glitch, the majority of people have played the game just fine otherwise we'd have a giant Last of Us thread about how the game keeps freezing on that one spot. Your problem doesn't sound anything at all like the autosave problem that ND fixed so I'm not sure why you are insistent on playing it offline, although it certainly doesn't hurt to try everything. I played through the game without any issues, even while signed on to the internet. I don't know what you can do about your problem though as it sounds like you tried everything you could to fix it.

Are you using the same save file by any chance? Because the behaviour you're describing sounds like something that might be caused by a corrupted save.

The save glitch was a pure server-side thing that was remotely fixed in hours btw, not blaming you for the necro-bump but this thread should (imho, not trying to backseat mod) have been locked so bug reports like yours got channelled into one of other TLOU threads where more people might be able to help you out.

My playstation is the second generation slim, but i can't for the life of me remember the HD size but of the two offered, it's the smaller HD size (160 i believe?). I seriously doubt it's a corrupted save give i deleted all saves/ game data before i'd try each new disc, and it's not my ps3 given it happened on my friends as well.

Sorry for necro posting, i was reading this thread when i had the issue and didn't get verified until just a few days ago. I've been keeping it online now that i see the issue has been resolved/ doesn't seem to affect my issue. I would order it from amazon but gamestop has a strict once it's open you only get an exchange, not a refund, and with all the fun i've had playing it so far i don't really want to drop 60 for another copy haha.

Thanks for all the insight, again sorry for necro posting-- this post is a modified email i sent to one of the developers who is a friend of a friend, and have not heard back yet.

jediyoshi

I think it's time to start accepting there may be a problem with the code in the post-review copies because it seems the minority can only play through this game without problems.

Completely incorrect, you're vastly underestimating what this implicates if the impressions you're gathering are only from this thread or even GAF. What are people supposed to do, pipe in and say 'no problems here'? Aside from the fact that people already frown upon that, you don't even humor the idea that something may be at fault with your system. Why would different copies of a digital medium lead you to immediately think the physical delivery mechanism would be at fault?

dylanfitzgerald

Neo Member
Completely incorrect, you're vastly underestimating what this implicates if the impressions you're gathering are only from this thread or even GAF. What are people supposed to do, pipe in and say 'no problems here'? Aside from the fact that people already frown upon that, you don't even humor the idea that something may be at fault with your system. Why would different copies of a digital medium lead you to immediately think the physical delivery mechanism would be at fault?

I already did humor it might be my system so i tried another, the same thing happened, not to mention other games work fine. I didn't mean to step on any toes, also I'm no game expert, I just came on here to see if there was anyone else having the issue, or even maybe someone who knew how to fix it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Were all the crashes happening after using the same save file? -Sorry if I didn't make that obvious in my earlier post, it really does sound to me that you might have somehow gotten a corrupted save file as TLOU isn't normally unstable. Try again using a different save game, or restart from scratch.

I've beaten the game 6 times and the only time I got a lock-up was when I was jumping randomly chapter to chapter in order to get a trophy. And that was a 1 time only deal.

dylanfitzgerald

Neo Member
Were all the crashes happening after using the same save file? -Sorry if I didn't make that obvious in my earlier post, it really does sound to me that you might have somehow gotten a corrupted save file as TLOU isn't normally unstable. Try again using a different save game, or restart from scratch.

I've beaten the game 6 times and the only time I got a lock-up was when I was jumping randomly chapter to chapter in order to get a trophy. And that was a 1 time only deal.

No different save files and installs for each separate disc-- i'd restart the game completely and play until the point where it never failed to freeze every time. Also happened on a friend's playstation. I really don't know much else i can do

Andrefpvs

No different save files and installs for each separate disc-- i'd restart the game completely and play until the point where it never failed to freeze every time. Also happened on a friend's playstation. I really don't know much else i can do

After the game freezes, what happens when you press the PS button? Does the console restart by itself?

dylanfitzgerald

Neo Member
After the game freezes, what happens when you press the PS button? Does the console restart by itself?

I was able to access the game's menu and quit, i've never pressed the PS button until i got back to the main menu-- just picked up another replacement copy-- will play until the freezing point again and try pressing the save button. I've been told that i might need to completely restore my playstation, i think that is an unreasonable request for one game, and as i don't have PS plus i can only back up to a thumb drive and then i lose trophies etc.

(i had a fat PS that died on me transferred my GTA IV and MGS IV save data using a thumb drive to my new slim PS and it won't give me trophies anymore)

Top Bottom