• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Game Informer Details [Audio Design Interview]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not sure if I like that. It makes it sound more like Uncharted than survival horror, which is what I want this game to be.

Having read the gameplay descriptions in detail, I would not describe this as a survival horror game.

Er, what?

Some of the analogies were uh... fascinating.

They wanted the tension and feel of it, and apparently it lead to this.

They're also taking the movie for inspiration with sound design.

Sounds really cool. Especially the combat. Really excited for this game.

I am curious to hear what else GI has to say about the Jak sequel they explored. That is my favorite series... was always hoping they might do another. Sorry that part is kind of off-topic, but it caught my eye.

I'm just speculating, but with ND saying they feel that the direction they're going for wouldn't make a good Jak game, I think they tried to change up the formula to fit current tastes of gaming, probably more shooting and less platformer which is why they think it wouldn't make Jak fans happy.

if that's right, than it's just depressing because that mean ND think that platformers don't really sell in current trends of gaming (and he's not wrong really). maybe if Sly 4 become a success to show that platformers could sell, then maybe we'll have a shot for another Jak.

Antioch

Not sure if I like that. It makes it sound more like Uncharted than survival horror, which is what I want this game to be.

Before the first trailer I was hoping it'd be straight up survival horror, but it doesn't sound like it has any actual horror as of now.

Also I'm wondering if the infected won't just feel like an afterthought if humans are the focus, sort of like the
creatures
that show up at the end of the Uncharted games.

it sounds like more 'survival' than 'horror'.but I'm sure you'll get your portion of horror when you encounter those infected human, just not much of it.

Pachimari

Naughty Dog has specifically said, that The Last Of Us is not a survival horror game, they don't look at it that way.

I'm just speculating, but with ND saying they feel that the direction they're going for wouldn't make a good Jak game, I think they tried to change up the formula to fit current tastes of gaming, probably more shooting and less platformer which is why they think it wouldn't make Jak fans happy.

Jak would have more shooting than The Last Of Us will ever have.

Before the first trailer I was hoping it'd be straight up survival horror, but it doesn't sound like it has any actual horror as of now.

Also I'm wondering if the infected won't just feel like an afterthought if humans are the focus, sort of like the different enemy types that show up at the end of the Uncharted games.

well, Uncharted often get complaint about throwing that plot twist of changing up the gameplay style near the end of the game, some people welcome the chance, other felt they come out of nowhere and hate it. so maybe they decide to just show the creature since the first trailer so we wouldn't be able to say they come out of nowhere. lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

if that's right, than it's just depressing because that mean ND think that platformers don't really sell in current trends of gaming (and he's not wrong really). maybe if Sly 4 become a success to show that platformers could sell, then maybe we'll have a shot for another Jak.
Since they're going to put it on their site anyway, they probably don't mind a short transcription.

Game Informer said:
Naughty Dog returns to Jak and Daxter?

When Naughty Dog decided to create a second development team in the studio, it needed a new game idea. One of the earliest possibilities was a reboot of the Jak and Daxter franchise on PlayStation 3. Co-president Evan Wells explains what happened.

"We'd all talked about it in interviews with fans asking, 'When's the next Jak and Daxter?' I don't know if this is going to make them happy or sad, but we did explore the idea fairly extensively. Something that we talked about early on was, 'Let's go back and apply what we've learned on the Uncharted games to Jak and Daxter.' It's one of the franchises that's near and dear to us, and, in all honesty, we'd like to somehow honor.

"But as we started exploring this and looking at ways we could evolve the game and apply the same narrative techniques that we had leveraged to good effect in the Uncharted series and bring the technology forward and allow us to render in a more realistic style like we were able to do in Uncharted, all the ideas just started to feel like they were going so far away from what made Jak and Daxter Jak and Daxter. Even if we felt like we're going to give the fans another Jak and Daxter, we felt we weren't going to give them the game that they wanted. We would end up limiting the direction that the company had this passion for while simultaneously not creating the game that fans wanted. We just realized we were going to just do everybody a disservice. So at that point the conversations started to move in new directions.

"Now is not the time. Never say never. It could happen. Naughty Dog's got a long history and I think it's got a long future, so to say well never go back is kind of crazy. But right now we've got this new IP that we're definitely going to be supporting. I guess there's a possibility that the Uncharted Team could move on to Jak and Daxter. It's still up in the air, but I wouldn't think that's going to happen because I think we'd run into all of the same problems with that team that we did with this team."

Since they're going to put it on their site anyway, they probably don't mind a short transcription.

one thing they learn from Uncharted series is auto-platforming. and I hope they realize auto platforming in a platforming game is not a very good idea. hahaha..... :-(

Is this a real quote?

Because if so my eyes just rolled out of my head and onto the floor.

I'm typing this blind.

I'm not sure if that's real quote, but one of the director, the creative director I think, is very.. uh passionate about his work. he said a lot of grand things that offends some people here in gaf. so I'm not surprised if he's the one saying that quote...

Haunted

Is it just me that thinks the main character just looks like Nathan Drake from Uncharted?
Just you, he looks like a completely different person.

If you want to make a comparison, he shares more facial features with the redesigned Sam Fisher or bearded Kane.

xHAASx

Banned
You will be facing humans more frequently than infected, as humans are the focus of the game. That's why none of the infected were shown in the demo.

Thought so! That's intriguing, in addition...

xHAASx

Banned
"-Everyone swears constantly during combat, especially Ellie. Expect to hear "motherfuckers", "fuck", "fuck face", and other such terms as often as you do in Battlefield 3, or perhaps even more."

Everything except for this sounds great, can't wait for the E3 demo.

Also are they sticking with 2012 as a release date for now? They said it might be early 2013 before, didn't they?

Of the very same view.

Some of the analogies were uh... fascinating.

They wanted the tension and feel of it, and apparently it lead to this.

They're also taking the movie for inspiration with sound design.

They want it to be like Road to Perdition.

Everything I hear about this game, I want it now.

Sounds promising but those screens look like grade a shit. Character models look good while everything else is terrible. Seriously, what the hell with that truck....

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I sort of like that the infected are scarce. I think it'll really make the moments that you do confront them that more powerful and scary. If they plan on making this a series, they could possibly fast forward to different points in time where encountering the infected become more and more common.

It's not representative characteristics of a girl, but whatever.

You've never been to Boston, Massachusetts then.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
It's great they're inspired by No Country for Old Men.

Movie was fantastic at handling tense heart pumping shootouts. I loved how the movie also didn't use music during the action scenes, IMO it added a lot to the tense, uneasy feeling and especially to the weight of the bullets and how deadly one shot can be.

WinFonda

Ellie's gonna be all like "DIE MOTHERFUCKER DIE!" and "EAT DICK!"

But you know what... I'm not sure I've ever witnessed a potty-mouthed pre-teen or teenage girl in a video game before. Not even from Rockstar.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's great they're inspired by No Country for Old Men.

Movie was fantastic at handling tense heart pumping shootouts. I loved how the movie also didn't use music during the action scenes, IMO it added a lot to the tense, uneasy feeling and especially to the weight of the bullets and how deadly one shot can be.

Do you work at Naughty Dog? That's basically what they said in the article. :p

Globox_82

Banned
Sounds fantastic tbh.

Respect for explaining situation around J&K. Still I think a small team should make a PSN (SEN) game. Similar to first one that is maybe three hours long. Like Infamous game. I am sure it would sell in great numbers.

Damn this looks like Uncharted. I know, I know. Same developer, but damn, character models all look almost the same.

Anyways, as long as it's good it don't matter, right?

As long as they deliver a game rather than an interactive story corridor, this should be a lot better than Uncharted ever could be. A scenario like this just screams for a more open gameplay approach, but they might just make it a linear bombast adventure again.

Either way, I'm checking this one out when it comes out.

Globox_82

Banned
Ellie's gonna be all like "DIE MOTHERFUCKER DIE!" and "EAT DICK!"

But you know what... I'm not sure I've ever witnessed a potty-mouthed pre-teen or teenage girl in a video game before. Not even from Rockstar.

there is nothing more unattractive that a woman using bad language. I hope you can censor it somehow.

Withnail

I've often noticed how many gamers seem to love gore but hate swearing. Something about that seems weird to me.

This game sounds great, hope it's ready this year.

Luthos

One shot kills, little ammo, medpacks... I like. Overall these details have gotten me quite excited. But like it needed to. I was day 1 from the start.

The one thing I still wonder or am unsure of, is how linear this game will be. I don't need a GTA type environment, but I hope it's a bit more open and "branchy" than Uncharted.

Top Bottom