• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us HBO Serie: Season 1 Adapts the First Game, But Will 'Deviate Greatly' in Some Episodes

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
"Some of my favorite episodes so far have deviated greatly from the story, and I can’t wait for people to see them"

The-Last-of-Us-Pedro-Pascal-et-Bella-Ramsey-1024x512.jpg

“We talked at length [that season 1 of the show is going to be [the first game],” Druckmann explained, noting that for him and Mazin, “the philosophical underpinnings of the story” were the essential thing to get right about the adaptation.
“As far as the superficial things, like should [a character] wear the same plaid shirt or the same red shirt? They might or might not appear in it, that’s way less important to us than getting the core of who these people are and the core of their journey.”

And while Druckmann could not, of course, reveal too much about the team’s exact plans for how the series will play out in comparison to the game, he did explain that viewers will certainly recognize some dialogue - and be surprised by large parts of episodes.

“Things sometimes stay pretty close. It’s funny to see my dialogue there from the games in HBO scripts. And sometimes they deviate greatly to much better effect because we are dealing with a different medium,” he said.

“For example, in the game, there’s so much action you have to have to train the player about mechanics. You have to have more violence and more spectacle to some degree than you would need on a TV show because you don’t need to train people on how to use a gun. So that’s something that’s been really different, and HBO’s been great in pushing us to move away from hardcore action and focus more on the drama of the character. Some of my favorite episodes so far have deviated greatly from the story, and I can’t wait for people to see them.”

But beyond that, Druckmann didn’t want to spoil the experience of what’s to come, only to say that he “can’t wait for people to see what we saw in the people we’ve brought together,” referring to Pedro Pascal as Joel and Bella Ramsey as Ellie. But he did recently get to see one of the game’s main threats come to life.

“I just saw the first prosthetic test for the Clicker and it’s awesome. It’s so rad to see this thing come to physical life,” he said.

The director of the pilot is also about to leave Russia to continue working on the series in the US.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Man, as long as the characters and writing is top tier and not a Soap Opera like the Walking Dead .

Big shoes to fill standing against the game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
i still dont like the cast even though i like pedro pascal, but this makes sense to me. unlike what haters say, there isnt that much walking and talking in the last of us. it starts out slow, but then you are basically going from one town to another with very little story beats. a lot of the story is told in game as you explore towns in realtime. there are only around 2-3 hours of cutscenes.

for them to fill a 10 episode season, it will need to have a lot more characters like Sam and his brother, and Bill. Tess will probably be given a larger roll. otherwise she would be dead in episode 2.

this is what you will get if they followed the story from the game.

Episode 1 - prologue and boston.
Episode 2 - tess' death and bill's town.
Episode 3 - pittsburgh and sam brothers.
Episode 4 - tommy's town and university
Episode 5 - ellie and david
episode 6 - hospital and ending

you still have 4 more episodes to fill. they will probably populate bill's town to have more characters, and have the sam brothers make it to the camp.

Madflavor

Wouldn't be surprised at all if after the first season, they completely deviate from there. If they do Season 2 based on TLoU2, then at that point they gotta wait 7-10 years for TLoU3.

It's possible the following seasons after they adapt the first game's story, will basically tell a new story with Joel and Ellie, and that's what will truly separate the show from the games. That HBO's TLoU will go in a different direction.

I hope he doesn’t mean completely remove the hardcore action, I mean this is last of us and not a soap opera, there have to be a good portion of action.

jaysius

Banned
Thank the fuck, the game’s story is awful and over hyped, but there is an amazing story there if you just rearrange the order... also SUPER JOEL at the end was pretty dumb with how many people you were mowing down if they want to maintain an inkling of believability.

Pedro is one ugly mofo that is being boosted by Disney, we’ll see how he crashes like those two recent puffed up stars in that awful sci-fi movie Ridley and whoever that dude was.

Last edited:

Krizalidx11

Banned
I'll watch it for the passive aggressive slamming of white straight males being blamed for EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD while (you know who) is the angel on earth

Concern

Casting looks terrible. But I expect a garbage virtue signaling series. They're already letting us know it will "deviate greatly" from the story.

What gonna happend to Mandalorian?

I dont like the girl they cast either but being a spot on cosplayer doesn't mean they can act. If i learned anything from girls that look awesome on IG, its that they are perfectly capable in their own little world but put them in a studio for a photoshoot, its like deer in a headlight.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I assume none of you muppets watched Chernobyl going by all the bashing you're giving this show we've seen fuck all from apart from a few cast photos... They've put together a seriously talented team that turned in one of the best dramas in recent years, they have the backing of a studio known for quality based on a story/world from one of the best fucking videogames of all time, it's got a good fucking chance to be awesome, stop being such Debbie fucking downers

Rathalos

Banned
I'm really not into the actress they picked for Ellie, she wasn't great in GoT and looks nothing like her. Ellie was very likable in the first game and I just don't see her pulling it off. Mando will do a good job though.

TonyK

So lack of action and longer dialogs and drama. Nothing new in a TV show adaptation. The bored of Us, confirmed.

cormack12

Gold Member
Probably liked her audition for Ellie v Abby

In all seriousness, I think she has a lot of weight playing Ellie. I feel like they cast her for her bratty, bitchy kind of performance which will probably work in scenes in like this:

But there were a lot of soft scenes too and most of us haven't seen that range from her in GoT so there will be doubts.

Last edited:

EraIsDogshit

Neo Member
Can't wait for the deviation in the story of Joel realizing his toxic masculinity and misogynistic nature is the reason he wasn't able to let go of Ellie and stopping the research that would have saved the world from the virus. He then meets the Asian transgender girl? from the second game and transitions himself in a glorious display of stunning bravery.

kyliethicc

i still dont like the cast even though i like pedro pascal, but this makes sense to me. unlike what haters say, there isnt that much walking and talking in the last of us. it starts out slow, but then you are basically going from one town to another with very little story beats. a lot of the story is told in game as you explore towns in realtime. there are only around 2-3 hours of cutscenes.

for them to fill a 10 episode season, it will need to have a lot more characters like Sam and his brother, and Bill. Tess will probably be given a larger roll. otherwise she would be dead in episode 2.

this is what you will get if they followed the story from the game.

Episode 1 - prologue and boston.
Episode 2 - tess' death and bill's town.
Episode 3 - pittsburgh and sam brothers.
Episode 4 - tommy's town and university
Episode 5 - ellie and david
episode 6 - hospital and ending

you still have 4 more episodes to fill. they will probably populate bill's town to have more characters, and have the sam brothers make it to the camp.
(summer)
episode 1 - prologue, boston, meet marlene & ellie
2 - tess dies, leave boston
3 - bill's town
4 - enter pittsburgh, meet henry and sam
5 - escape suburbs, henry & sam die
(fall)
6 - jackson, meet tommy & maria, leave
7 - university, joel injured
(winter)
8 - resort, mall, ellie hunts, meets david
9 - joel wakes up, ellie kills david
(spring)
10 - salt lake city, fireflies, joel kills marlene

And they could throw in some flashbacks to left behind too.

e1XIh2G.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom