• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us - Off screen footage from PAX East

Pojo_King

Neo Member
I think not being able to move while in listen mode is a pretty significant penalty to using it.
Pretty sure you can move, but you can't scavenge or craft. Because resources are scarce, you will easily die if you don't use those things.

GuessWho

hmm I preordered this game way back, but now I'm having second thoughts. Didn't know it was going to be heavy stealth game as I've been on media blackout.

Pojo_King

Neo Member
Also stealth is really important. If you don't finish off an enemy right away you will attract all others in that area. What I kept seeing a lot of was people too focused on using listen mode though to track the movements of one enemy, only to have another come up and kill them from behind.

arne

Some useless bickering going on in this thread.

The issues are:

2)That fucking see through walls bullshit (give us an option ND)

Most of these can be fixed. The only one i am disappointed in is the xray vision. Totally kills the mood and suspense of a survival horror and will make it easy.

WE'RE NOT SURVIVAL HORROR! *kills self*
Seriously we aren't, and if you treat this game as an action game or a survival horror game, rather than let the game teach you the "new" mechanics of this "new" genre, it game will be more difficult in an unsatisfying way. The game will teach you to think about combat differently, hard to do in a 30min+ demo, but that's a lot of what you see with the repeated deaths. The moment I tell someone - dont fall back to genre conventions for gameplay mechnaics, people start being far more successful in combat for this demo.

Listen mode is mapped to a button. Don't use it if you hate it, but it's not a massive advantage. You can't see things from across the map, only if they are making some sound, slows you down, etc. It will be a give and take. But if you hate it, and you want to be all hardcore, don't hit the button. You do have some self control right? :p

meppi

Hmm, this was the only PS3 game that still had me interested in buying it.
But the more I see of it, the less interesting it seems.
Looked so promising when it was first announced, but this doesn't do anything for me. So generic.
Very disappointed. :(

Pojo_King

Neo Member
WE'RE NOT SURVIVAL HORROR! *kills self*
Seriously we aren't, and if you treat this game as an action game or a survival horror game, rather than let the game teach you the "new" mechanics of this "new" genre, it game will be more difficult in an unsatisfying way. The game will teach you to think about combat differently, hard to do in a 30min+ demo, but that's a lot of what you see with the repeated deaths. The moment I tell someone - dont fall back to genre conventions for gameplay mechnaics, people start being far more successful in combat for this demo.

Listen mode is mapped to a button. Don't use it if you hate it, but it's not a massive advantage. You can't see things from across the map, only if they are making some sound, slows you down, etc. It will be a give and take. But if you hate it, and you want to be all hardcore, don't hit the button. You do have some self control right? :p
. What this guy said! If you rely on that button you are going to die. It does not give you a huge advantage and can even be a disadvantage.

i-Lo

I think we can only get a sense of how well or ill fitting the listen mode is once we try it for ourselves.

Thanks for Pojo King for the info.

Pertaining to crafting, it sounds like that items are crafted in real time only (which would be nerve wrecking during hostile situation). Can you kindly confirm this?

@Arne: Kindly inform us if you plan to do anything about the Opacity?

I want to play this game w/o suffering image retention.

I think not being able to move while in listen mode is a pretty significant penalty to using it.

You can still move, albeit slowly.

I think a balance might be struck so long as the game isn't designed around listen mode. If level design/enemy encounters aren't dependent on it, then it's not a major issue. If it's like Absolution, etc where level design, etc is built around the mechanic and not using it result in s a frustrating and ultimately annoying experience, then the game will suffer tremendously for it in my eyes.

XOMTOR

Thanks for posting the videos OP/Solidsnake. I won't mention the listen mode (since it's been well covered) other than to say I won't use it. Played through the new Tomb Raider and never once tapped the LB button.

One thing that bugs me in most modern games is the constant on-screen button prompts. Walk up to table, green triangle appears prompting you to open a desk drawer. Something's inside, green triangle pops up prompting you to pick it up. Hopefully there's an option to turn it off. Can they be disabled in the Uncharted games? The last few Crystal TR's (not the most recent one) allowed them to be disabled. After 2 minutes, I know that triangle is used to interact with things.

I kinda wish it could be a bit like the older Resident Evils or Silent Hills where you see a desk, shelf or a trash can etc. you try interacting with it and if it won't open, nothing happens. If something is inside, you can choose to pick up the item. I don't see why a constant interact prompt needs to appear on screen. Makes scouring the environment too easy; you really don't need to search for anything and there's no real chance of missing anything; you just walk around and watch for the green triangle to pop up.

Fabrik

Banned
Looked so promising when it was first announced, but this doesn't do anything for me. So generic.

Looks like a lot of gamers are kind of bored of this generation. Don't know if the next will change anything unless developers shake things up a lot.

Listen mode just seems like a little cheat sheet for the average gamer. Doesn't look forced at all. Judging by that one video at least. If there wasn't one hit kills then it would be absolutely unnecessary.

Detective vision was one of the core mechanics in the Batman games, and I've watched speed runs where they didn't use it once. Even when wallhacking made sense people still bitched! lol

KKRT00

You have extremely selective critical faculties mate. Most of what you say is pretty reductionist and asinine.

Selective? In terms of what? What do they more that other current gen games do not?

==
Most are unprecise or even inaccurate. Poor geometry, I missed the one. Completely absurd.

Show me good geometry on any bullshots i've posted, because i dont see none.

wut? You mean compared to the current console standard graphic? Are you really serious? The use of procedural shaders is quite beyond the standard of ps360, like every ND game. Do you blame this game just to be on ps3? Wow. It use HDR, SSAO, dynamic light shaft, deferred light & procedural shaders, like every later game on those console. To be honest, HDR & procedural shaders are not even that mandatory in a lot of games. But if you prefer to play the magnificient tech of Crysis 3 at 20 fps of average & sub hd rez, good for you :\ To be honest Cryengine 3 on console not use anything more of the other common engine & run quite worse if I remember right...

So You dont know what You are talking about, but still thinking You're right?
BTW almost every game since 2010 is using procedural shaders, deferred lighting and HDR.
CE 3 on consoles uses more tech [that is completely dynamic] than any other game on consoles, it just runs poorly.

--
I ask this again, what have really amazed You in this game graphically from technological point of view? What really stands out in comparison to any other good looking game released in past two years.

i-Lo

I assume you've already played the game fully to draw comparisons with myriad of other games released this generation in the same genre to call it "generic".... Oh wait...

GeoramA

Looks pretty challenging and the atmosphere is pretty awesome.

Try watching a video without someone talking in the background. Those clicker sounds alone are going to give me nightmares.

arne

This doesnt look amazing and those are bullshots [click for full sized images and then add jaggies and lack of AF to this]

You think we add AF to our screenshots? We've already said a ton if times the only thing that can and often happens with our screens is that they're resized/downsampled. Nothing more. No special menu options, no 1fps mode, no photoshop.

People seriously judging the visuals based on off screen demo footage?

It looks fucking amazing in person, believe me. Everything is nice and sharp and detailed, the lighting it superb and the animations are flawless compared to Uncharted 3.

Ridesh

Banned
To me, every footage after the E3 demo has been boring. Just... generic? gameplay with sky-high production values, and it doesn't help that I haven't felt any kind of empathy for the characters so far.

arne

I think we can only get a sense of how well or ill fitting the listen mode is once we try it for ourselves.

Thanks for Pojo King for the info.

Pertaining to crafting, it sounds like that items are crafted in real time only (which would be nerve wrecking during hostile situation). Can you kindly confirm this?

@Arne: Kindly inform us if you plan to do anything about the Opacity?

I want to play this game w/o suffering image retention.

Crafting is real time. in fact the only "pause" is if you to into the options menu. looking at the collectibles is still real time.

image retention?

The studio is reading this thread, so they can discuss your thoughts about a hardcore mode and HUD opacity. Do note, we did hire a dedicated UI/UX several months ago and work on that is still constantly happening and evolving.

Derrick01

Banned
arne could you confirm that there's a toggle for the item highlighting? I thought I remembered you guys saying there was but I'm not sure.

noobasuar

Banned
What happened to the emphasis on fighting humans? Did they realize they had nothing as impressive as the e3 demo to show? Seems kinda lame.

Dusky

It looks fucking amazing in person, believe me. Everything is nice and sharp and detailed, the lighting it superb and the animations are flawless compared to Uncharted 3.

Did you get a chance to play the demo? If so, any overall impressions?

The Lamp

Yeah this. And I heard someone mention sloppy shooting mechanics like Uncharted. What? Uncharted has made it easier for me to land head shots on enemies than ever before in a third person shooter. It was pretty fluid and simple aiming and shooting. Not sloppy at all. Maybe a bit strange in U3 bit they patched that.

The amount of stupid in this thread is mind-numbing though. Looking forward to enjoying this game and not seeing the haters in the online multiplayer at launch. :)

Crafting is real time. in fact the only "pause" is if you to into the options menu. looking at the collectibles is still real time.

image retention?

The studio is reading this thread, so they can discuss your thoughts about a hardcore mode and HUD opacity. Do note, we did hire a dedicated UI/UX several months ago and work on that is still constantly happening and evolving.

That's good news. It makes no sense to not have an option for HUD and cross hair removal. Killzone did it, why can't you?

I will apologize in advance for typing this on my phone.Alright guys time to stop this madness. I was at PAX east and actually played and beat the 30 minute demo. First thing to note is that this demo was the pre-alpha build. That being said I ran into no technical problems, save for some collision detection clipping at times. The game looks on par with the best this generation has to offer, especially the atmosphere which is just dripping with foreboding style. One of the things I took away from the demo was how intuitive and easy the crafting system was. There were set supplies lying around and if you opened your menu it would show you exactly what you could make with what you had and how many resources you had. It's simple when you are not in a tricky situation, but when you are among enemies it is so nerve wracking to try and craft something because you never know when they will turn that corner and spot you. Yes, you can use the listen mode but I never foun myself using that because I really needed to keep moving and finding supplies to craft because if you just go at it with fists you will likely die. The contextual combat is intense and brutal, and that manic nature fits the desperation of trying to survive.But stealth is really important especially when dealing with clickers. These guys are really scary and the sound design for them made my play through so intense. I can not state this enough how important it is to get your hit in or distract these guys and then hide. It's like Arkham asylum if Batman were really vulnerable. Only 10 percent of people actually finished the demo. The people who did beat it were not using the listen mode they were focusing on scavenging. The game is just super intense, and I felt more vulnerable in this game than I have in a long time. Those are just my opinions, and while you shouldn't overhype it, you really need to play this game, not watch it to understand why it is great.
pre-order reinstated

tusken77

Good to know. Thanks.

The Lamp

What happened to the emphasis on fighting humans? Did they realize they had nothing as impressive as the e3 demo to show? Seems kinda lame.

They've already shown that heavily last year so they also wanted to show off the clickers.

Are you serious? Do people forget that these are only glimpses of what is going to be over a 10 hour campaign?

noobasuar

Banned
Odd conclusion to come to. Did you forget there's an entire other type of enemy to show?

No I didn't but I thought the emphasis in the game was battling other humans. I'd like to see some actual players play through one of those sections to see how close it gets to the e3 demo or to see if that was all bullshit.

i-Lo

image retention?

Ah, thank you.

Pertaining to image retention:

Given what I saw from the youtube clip, it looks like the HUD is ever present denoting equipped items and semi circular health bar (which transforms from bright green to yellow and presumably red by the end). Given the importance of remaining informed at all times, it befits the context of the game. I just wish the entire HUD to have a 3 tier opacity control option (if adding slider is difficult) akin to inFAMOUS 2 (Opaque, Translucent and Faint). That will allow plasma users, like myself, to play the game at appropriate brightness and contrast level without incurring image retention, albeit temporary.

EDIT: Just to add- It is quintessential that we can play the game with proper visibility given the prevalence of dark environments.

The Lamp

I will apologize in advance for typing this on my phone.Alright guys time to stop this madness. I was at PAX east and actually played and beat the 30 minute demo. First thing to note is that this demo was the pre-alpha build. That being said I ran into no technical problems, save for some collision detection clipping at times. The game looks on par with the best this generation has to offer, especially the atmosphere which is just dripping with foreboding style. One of the things I took away from the demo was how intuitive and easy the crafting system was. There were set supplies lying around and if you opened your menu it would show you exactly what you could make with what you had and how many resources you had. It's simple when you are not in a tricky situation, but when you are among enemies it is so nerve wracking to try and craft something because you never know when they will turn that corner and spot you. Yes, you can use the listen mode but I never foun myself using that because I really needed to keep moving and finding supplies to craft because if you just go at it with fists you will likely die. The contextual combat is intense and brutal, and that manic nature fits the desperation of trying to survive.But stealth is really important especially when dealing with clickers. These guys are really scary and the sound design for them made my play through so intense. I can not state this enough how important it is to get your hit in or distract these guys and then hide. It's like Arkham asylum if Batman were really vulnerable. Only 10 percent of people actually finished the demo. The people who did beat it were not using the listen mode they were focusing on scavenging. The game is just super intense, and I felt more vulnerable in this game than I have in a long time. Those are just my opinions, and while you shouldn't overhype it, you really need to play this game, not watch it to understand why it is great.

Oh look. Someone who actually played this thing. Thanks for the post! Gets me excited.

Emwitus

To me, every footage after the E3 demo has been boring. Just... generic? gameplay with sky-high production values, and it doesn't help that I haven't felt any kind of empathy for the characters so far.

The only way to feel empathy for the characters is to know their story and context..................Otherwise you've just been watching random clips.

wa?

Derrick01

Banned
how did you manage to triple post? item highlighting?

I only see one post both on here and in my post history, must be a glitch.

What I meant is the glow that appears when you get near stuff you can interact with like drawers or certain objects during "puzzle" sections.

arne

At some point we had to show off the infected enemy types. it also coincided around the time we were asked to make a hands on demo. that's all - as someone else said, so much of the focus has been on human survivors. this was not a reveal of human survivors.

Vire

My problem isn't so much with the x-ray vision as much as the way its handled.

It's very video-gamey and it takes you out of the experience/breaks immersion.

A few people in this thread already offered suggestions that I think fit the game much better.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Naughty Dog said right from the start that they were keeping their cards close to their chest with this game. They have shown just one or two environments so far and just a sprinkle of gameplay here and there. They want to keep the entire thing fresh as possible. The game will take around 12 hours to complete, and all the gameplay we have seen combined doesn't even scratch the surface of that.

Unlike Uncharted games where a lot of the amazing setpieces are already shown in trailers and gameplay sequences way before launch. I think TLOU is utilizing a way, way better strategy.

Well lookie here, another person who actually played the game and has positive impressions.

At some point we had to show off the infected enemy types. it also coincided around the time we were asked to make a hands on demo. that's all - as someone else said, so much of the focus has been on human survivors. this was not a reveal of human survivors.

He thinks you guys faked the enemy AI, says it was all smoke and mirrors. I am also skeptical at this point, the enemy AI you guys showed at E3 was one of the most interesting I have seen since beat FEAR back in the day. Why suddenly hide it and focus on the brain dead clickers?

Whenever the player gets caught by a group of humans his friends start attacking immediately. From these demos it doesn't seem there's a lot of intuition in terms of giving s player a chance to learn the environment and use it for their advantage. Is there a lot of trial and error in this game? I don't mind it but just curious.

i-Lo

He thinks you guys faked the enemy AI, says it was all smoke and mirrors. I am also skeptical at this point, the enemy AI you guys showed at E3 was one of the most interesting I have seen since beat FEAR back in the day. Why suddenly hide it and focus on the brain dead clickers?

I would assume that it has to do with showing off "other environments and other types of enemies" given we haven't seen a long demo featuring the infected.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
ND, if you are reading this (you are), please allow for opacity/ ability to remove completely HUD options. It effects immersion in a huge way.

Emwitus

Aren't they showing different parts of the game now? What do you mean by hide?

arne

Enemy AI wasn't faked. our demo wasnt propped up unlike some... others.

So we're revealing a new enemy type (that we've planned for a long type) why is that "hiding" anything. This part of the game that we took the slice out for the demo is all about infected encounters anyway. There's no attempt to obfuscate something.

I would assume that it has to do with showing off "other environments and other types of enemies" given we haven't seen a long demo featuring the infected.

this. there hasn't been ANY demo featuring the infected. this is our "Infected First Look".

How are they hiding it? They're showing the infected now. We've seen plenty of human combat and people were craving for infected gameplay and that's what ND gave.

Top Bottom