• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us on HBO Rumored to Have Offered Mahershala Ali Lead Role as Joel

levyjl1988

Banned

HBO’s TV adaptation The Last of Us has reportedly offered actor Mahershala Ali the lead role of Joel. Should the rumor play out, this would be the first casting announcement of any kind to be attached to the HBO production since the show was greenlit back in November 2020. Whether it’s accurate or not, the casting rumor still leaves several other key characters without talent attached to them unless more announcements or rumors come to light.

The latest on the potential casting choice for HBO’s The Last of Us comes from The Illuminerdi who said that Ali had been offered the role of Joel. While no other actors were mentioned in the rumor, it was said that the role is “Ali’s for the taking” if he wants it which would suggest the production team is plenty confident enough in him taking the role, assuming the rumor is accurate.

Fans of The Last of Us have had no shortage of ideas regarding who should play the main roles of Joel and Ellie as well as supporting characters like Tommy. Despite him rumored to have been offered the role, Ali’s name was not one that frequently showed up in these discussions since most people suggested white actors for the role given that Joel himself is white. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has been a common suggestion for the role given his performance in works like Game of Thrones and his similar appearance when compared to the game’s version of Joel.

Ali is best known for his works on TV shows and moves like True Detective, Green Book, Luke Cage, Moonlight, and House of Cards. The actor has one two Oscar Awards, one in 2017 for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in Moonlight and another in 2019 for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in Green Book.

For those keeping up with more recent news regarding Ali’s works, you’ll know it was announced in July 2019 that he’d take on the role of Blade in Marvel’s upcoming reboot. The new film is supposedly called Blade, the Vampire Slayer, though it does not yet have a release date yet.

0COMMENTS
It’s been discussed how the HBO series would expand on the game’s story and evolve it beyond what players saw solely from the game, though the extent of how things will change from game to TV is unknown.

HBO’s The Last of Us does not yet have a release date.

levyjl1988

Banned
I can't help but see this...

G26BrCr.jpg

White middle-aged guy protecting girl from zombies = The Last of Us

8lc8KiI.jpg

Black middle-aged guy protecting girl from zombies = The Walking Dead

Woo-Fu

Banned
Good actor, he'll have to beef up for the role, though. Maybe they can get Chaz Bono to play Abby.

GAMETA

Banned
What the fuck!? At least get a black dude that's got Joel's vibe if you must cast a black actor for whatever reason.

Neil must be delighted with himself in his colored indulgent delusions

Last edited:
Look at how bothered a lot of you are by this rumor from comic book dot com.

Haven't you guys learned to take casting rumors with a ridiculously tiny grain of salt yet?

Hes a decent actor, but just...why?

Why? Why choose someone as complete opposite as possible from the reference?

Nikolaj Coster was a much much much better choice.

They really want to kill this franchise, what a waste.

BTW I can think of 3 big black people roles that exist in the game. Why you would want to switch races to please some group when in fact the game has roles for that group as well.

e&e

Banned
Eh...he’s better than this role. But you will get these reactions:
White Man really is the enemy now, is he?

Edit: Just read the role actual went to Pedro Pascal...oh the irony of the Lucasfilm Gina thread.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Offered isn't the same as hired... So much outrage before any actual confirmation.

It went to a Latino man anyway.

I always thought Joel looked like he had a a bit of Hispanic in him anyway. I like Pascal, he has that softer delivery which workswell with Joel imo. Lyanna Mormont I'm not too sure on. She had that bratty, loud, confident thing going on in GoT but I hope it's more than just a transplant of strong, young leader.

Principal

Ask yourselves, does it take away from the story? Think objetivally, does it change the context of the apocalypse, the raising of a surrogate daughter? If not then what are you getting twisted up over? People seem to forget that this is Neils story for better or worse, do I agree with what he does with his story? No way, do I like Joel getting killed like that? no, but I don't own the story... Now if they make Joel transgender who struggles with his sexuality then yeah that changes the story, if Joel is black or latino and has to deal with racism, yeah that changes the story, but if not? If the race is not tied down then that's just preferences because you experienced the story with white Joel and I get it, I fully understand, but let's not go so far as to pretend that the story wouldn't still be the same (Average but superb for a video game)

Principal

Offered isn't the same as hired... So much outrage before any actual confirmation.

It went to a Latino man anyway.
Yeah, this is why it's important not to explode outwardly until you have more info, so for example, I did react when the leaks confirmed the story of LOU2 but that was because that was written in stone, but to freak out and have a heart attack/shitty day because maybe is hella stupid. Hence why people need to stop acting high and mighty and call each other snowflakes because it seems we live in an upset culture lol.

Ask yourselves, does it take away from the story? Think objetivally, does it change the context of the apocalypse, the raising of a surrogate daughter? If not then what are you getting twisted up over? People seem to forget that this is Neils story for better or worse, do I agree with what he does with his story? No way, do I like Joel getting killed like that? no, but I don't own the story... Now if they make Joel transgender who struggles with his sexuality then yeah that changes the story, if Joel is black or latino and has to deal with racism, yeah that changes the story, but if not? If the race is not tied down then that's just preferences because you experienced the story with white Joel and I get it, I fully understand, but let's not go so far as to pretend that the story wouldn't still be the same (Average but superb for a video game)

Well, that's going to have to work both ways then when a white person is cast for the role of a minority (Iron Fist, Lucy) etc.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
He's a great actor so wouldn't be opposed to this. Obviously Joel looks different in the games, but not every adaptation needs to be completely accurate. I'd trust him to nail the role more than most actors.

Although I always had Hugh Jackman in mind because of Prisoners. He looks so much like Joel it is unreal.

Prisoners-4926700-883316880401._V366319029_SX1080_.jpg

So did you guys give this CBS Interactive site enough hits on this clickbait piece these last 24 hours? BTW, check out the new CBS drama Clarice which debuted today. :pie_eyeroll:

The writer knew what they were doing.
run away homer simpson GIF

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
yxrYNqHf-ql7AcfiHfLNlPodoZHbAJAOb_VCfO0sra4.jpg

960x0.jpg

big missed opportunity there.. hell i'll even take the GoT actor

b07a2-15955100521707-800.jpg
I thought Kaitlyn Dever would have been good as Ellie. Great actress, showed some serious acting chops in Unbelievable. I think that was a rumour for a while, but it looks like someone else has the role by the looks of it.

unbelievable_101_unit_01125r-2000.jpg

Top Bottom