• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: One Night Live announced (Live-performance of story)

Alienous

tumblr_mghhekFRtz1qh01r8o1_400.gif

What's wrong with you?

If it's not the characters in animation, it's just fan fiction to me.

Darknight

Neil said that this will never ever be released, and asked that no one film it. It was pretty cool.

Thats like messed up. Fans will eat this shit up but he doesnt want us to see it? There are millions of fans around the world and we cant all fly to Cali to watch this limited viewing play. They should atleast post it in the future and not let anyone else 'experience' it.

I have a feeling the reason the acted deleted scene was hidden, is because it'll be in the next game.

I see it as the perfect intro for the next game where when the scene is done, and Ellie strikes the strings of the guitar, there's a fade away to black screen and a time skip happens where you see Ellie as a young adult, still strucking the guitar, but this time like a pro and there's no sign of Joel. Similar to that artwork that's been floating around the internet.

In my book, that would be perfect.

Vire

Actually, you know what, I loved the ending as it was and I always criticize epilogues that do this kind of fan service (Harry Potter anyone?), so I'm okay with this not being released.

Gaz_RB

Thats like messed up. Fans will eat this shit up but he doesnt want us to see it? There are millions of fans around the world and we cant all fly to Cali to watch this limited viewing play. They should atleast post it in the future and not let anyone else 'experience' it.

I have no doubt that you will be able to see it at some point. No way that goes unfilmed.

If it's not the characters in animation, it's just fan fiction to me.

Fan fiction written by the writer/director of the game?

I mean, I don't think he would have shown it unless it was official. He clearly means it to be their send off, a little treat and possibly confirmation that their story is over.

I have a feeling the acted deleted scene that was hidden, is because it'll be in the next game.

I see it as the perfect intro for the next game where when the scene is done, and Ellie struck the strings of the guitar, a time skips happens, and you see Ellie, as a young adult, still strucking the guitar, but this time like a pro and there's no sign of Joel anymore.

In my book, that would be perfect.
I like this. Throughout the game I would want it to flashback to earlier times before that with Joel till we eventually find out his fate.

Darknight

I don't think I can ever get through that scene without tearing up.

The one where Ellie sneaks out of Tommy's camp and Joel finds her in that house, to me, is so much more powerful. All the emotions in that little room...god damn. I got a littler teary eyed watching the live performance. Troy and Ashley fucking nailed every second of it.

Honestly it's not a big deal that this scene only existed in the theatre and no one else will get to see it performed by the original actors. This stuff happens all the time in actual theatre. A show comes and goes, and it exists only for the time it's on stage, and becomes only a memory afterwards.

People are so hung up on having everything recorded and accessible. They bring cellphones to concerts to record it when they should be enjoying the music live. Isn't it exciting and special that a moment can exist only as an ephemeral experience? You are getting to see something that will never, ever, be replicated in the exact same way as you experienced it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Actually, you know what, I loved the ending as it was and I always criticize epilogues that do this kind of fan service (Harry Potter anyone?), so I'm okay with this not being released.

I saw it live and although it gave me the feels. The actual game ending is what I prefer. There is that ambiguity there that was so powerful.

Also there was a fantastic little reference to Left Behind where Joel says "Some of the kids out there are playing with water guns" and Ellie responds "I don't really like Water guns"

:/

-griffy-

Banned

I don't know, I'm sure it's a very personal thing for those involved. Neil and the actors have a personal connection to these characters and story, so this is a bit like letting people in to something they may want to keep private. Plus it's an unfinished thing, and it's sometimes weird for creators to share unfinished work like that.

And it's certainly not unprecedented for live readings like this to just be the live thing without a recording. Tarantino did a live reading of his most recent script that hasn't been released. Director Jason Reitman regularly holds live readings of film scripts featuring all star casts of actors who weren't in the original film, often times in roles you wouldn't imagine them in, that are never recorded.

Alienous

Fan fiction written by the writer/director of the game?

I mean, I don't think he would have shown it unless it was official. He clearly means it to be their send off, a little treat and possibly confirmation that their story is over.

Eh, I suppose.

I thought it was more than a fan service-y aside. I guess it was cool for people in the moment.

Honestly it's not a big deal that this scene only existed in the theatre and no one else will get to see it performed by the original actors. This stuff happens all the time in actual theatre. A show comes and goes, and it exists only for the time it's on stage, and becomes only a memory afterwards.

People are so hung up on having everything recorded and accessible. They bring cellphones to concerts to record it when they should be enjoying the music live. Isn't it exciting and special that a moment can exist only as an ephemeral experience? You are getting to see something that will never, ever, be replicated in the exact same way as you experienced it.

I'm a theatre person too and I'll counter your point by saying SHAKESPEARE NEVER WROTE AN EPILOGUE TO HAMLET THAT WAS PLAYED ONLY ONCE ON A RANDOM NIGHT IN THE GLOBE.

Totally agree.

Ellite25

Agreed. I have not problem with them not releasing this in any form. Something special for the people in the room, the rest of us don't have to be privy to every second of the show.

Do you know how long after the events of that game that scene took place?
...I don't remember him specifying. About the send off comment Neil made, I'm not sure we should look into it. It was a deleted scene for a reason. Mostly, because it ended their tale. If anything, the fact that it took THIS long for someone outside the studio(maybe even ND employees have never seen it) too see it implies that Joel and Ellie WILL return in a later title. But a big thing to take into consideration was that when Neil was introducing the scene, he said

I'm not sure how to introduce this

So let's take it with a grain of salt. He could've misworded something.

Also, if somebody else saw someone recording in the middle, it was probably my sister. She just took a pic of the set. Sorry guys.

Darknight

I don't know, I'm sure it's a very personal thing for those involved. Neil and the actors have a personal connection to these characters and story, so this is a bit like letting people in to something they may want to keep private. Plus it's an unfinished thing, and it's sometimes weird for creators to share unfinished work like that.

And it's certainly not unprecedented for live readings like this to just be the live thing without a recording. Tarantino did a live reading of his most recent script that hasn't been released. Director Jason Reitman regularly holds live readings of film scripts featuring all star casts of actors who weren't in the original film, often times in roles you wouldn't imagine them in, that are never recorded.

Maybe you are right and Im just being a whiny baby.

But to have the "send off" to Joel and Ellie be so limited feels like their is now a void in my TLoU heart. Neil officially made a scene that was acted that from the sounds of it was really emotionally strong. We get to see Ellie and Joel for the last time, interacting with each other sharing a very intimate moment....a moment that I will never will be able to witness or experience...say my goodbyes to them for one last time.

I just hope this scene is in TLoU2 intro or in the 4K PS5 edition.

Top Bottom