• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: One Night Live announced (Live-performance of story)

GavinUK86

...I don't remember him specifying. About the send off comment Neil made, I'm not sure we should look into it. It was a deleted scene for a reason. Mostly, because it ended their tale. If anything, the fact that it took THIS long for someone outside the studio(maybe even ND employees have never seen it) too see it implies that Joel and Ellie WILL return in a later title. But a big thing to take into consideration was that when Neil was introducing the scene, he said

So let's take it with a grain of salt. He could've misworded something.

Was there any indication when Neil actually wrote the scene? Was it was back when they were creating the story or more recently?

FTF

...I don't remember him specifying. About the send off comment Neil made, I'm not sure we should look into it. It was a deleted scene for a reason. Mostly, because it ended their tale. If anything, the fact that it took THIS long for someone outside the studio(maybe even ND employees have never seen it) too see it implies that Joel and Ellie WILL return in a later title. But a big thing to take into consideration was that when Neil was introducing the scene, he said

This is a good point…the fact they took it out of the game means they may want to continue Joel's and/or Ellie's story. Which I am all for, love the characters and one game with them isn't enough for me. At least not of Ellie…the description of that scene leading into TLOU2 with Ellie as the main sounds great to me.

I don't know, I'm sure it's a very personal thing for those involved. Neil and the actors have a personal connection to these characters and story, so this is a bit like letting people in to something they may want to keep private. Plus it's an unfinished thing, and it's sometimes weird for creators to share unfinished work like that.

And it's certainly not unprecedented for live readings like this to just be the live thing without a recording. Tarantino did a live reading of his most recent script that hasn't been released. Director Jason Reitman regularly holds live readings of film scripts featuring all star casts of actors who weren't in the original film, often times in roles you wouldn't imagine them in, that are never recorded.

None of those things are a continuation to a story that we'll never see.

None of those have sources that we can't experience. I may never see Seth Rogen as Venkman in Ghostbusters, but I've seen Ghostbusters. I've experienced the story.

I may never see Quentin Tarantino's reading of Hateful Eight, but I'll eventually see the film. I'll hear the words, I'll experience the story.

I don't live in California. I didn't get to see this special epilogue. And, according to Druckmann, himself, I never will. I never get to experience it. In any form.

I'm not concerned that I didn't get to experience this performance. I love theater, I'm an actor, I understand the magic of a wholly unique performance.

But, again, just because I never saw Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire doesn't mean I can't still see A Streetcar Named Desire. Or read the effing script at least.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Troy Baker confirmed for being a PS4.

uivmum.gif

Hoje0308

Banned
Neil also said before the scene is a goodbye to Joel and ellie.

The fact that they removed it from the final game makes me wonder if that really is the end of Joe and Ellie then. I honestly wouldn't mind new characters, but this is just confusing given the context.

Edit: Looks like I should have read the last couple pages.

Chaplain

Here is a pic from the event prior to starting.

Great performances and experience that my wife and I got to enjoy. The way Neil ended the story completed the Joel and Ellie story-line. No need for either of them in the sequel after viewing the final ending.

-griffy-

Banned
None of those things are a continuation to a story that we'll never see.

None of those have sources that we can't experience. I may never see Seth Rogen as Venkman in Ghostbusters, but I've seen Ghostbusters. I've experienced the story.

I may never see Quentin Tarantino's reading of Hateful Eight, but I'll eventually see the film. I'll hear the words, I'll experience the story.

I don't live in California. I didn't get to see this special epilogue. And, according to Druckmann, himself, I never will. I never get to experience it. In any form.

I'm not concerned that I didn't get to experience this performance. I love theater, I'm an actor, I understand the magic of a wholly unique performance.

But, again, just because I never saw Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire doesn't mean I can't still see A Streetcar Named Desire. Or read the effing script at least.

You're sounding a bit over the top here. We didn't get to see the actors perform it live on stage, in person, but we have received several descriptions of it already, and I'm sure will get even more in the coming days with verbatim dialog and everything. In that way we still know the scene. Obviously it's not the same as seeing it live, or even seeing video of it, but we weren't there and that's the way it is.

Palocca

Couple of small little details about the last scene:

Joel was clearly trying to reconnect with Ellie, and she was brushing him off. Joel mentioned that ellie would've liked Esther, and that she even told him "one of those jokes that she likes". Even then she was still acting very distant towards him. When he breaks our into song (read my previous post for quick summary), it was written by Joel and was about everything that he and Ellie been through. And he was clearly communicating how important she is to him. After the song, Ellie is clearly more receptive towards him and asks Joel what the joke was. "What's the downside of eating a clock? It's time consuming". She laughs and tells him that's the worst joke she's ever heard. And then she strikes the guitar.

Neil mentioned the reason this scene wasn't in the game was because they could find a good way to fit it in with the ending we got. He did say that this scene was a goodbye tribute to Joel and Ellie and the four years of developing the game. Sorry for not elaborating earlier.

Also, I was thinking of donating my steel book to the winner of the photo contest, how do I go about doing that?

DNAbro

Joel was clearly trying to reconnect with Ellie, and she was brushing him off. Joel mentioned that ellie would've liked Esther, and that she even told him "one of those jokes that she likes". Even then she was still acting very distant towards him. When he breaks our into song (read my previous post for quick summary), it was written by Joel and was about everything that he and Ellie been through. And he was clearly communicating how important she is to him. After the song, Ellie is clearly more receptive towards him and asks Joel what the joke was. "What's the downside of eating a clock? It's time consuming". She laughs and tells him that's the worst joke she's ever heard. And then she strikes the guitar.

Neil mentioned the reason this scene wasn't in the game was because they could find a good way to fit it in with the ending we got. He did say that this scene was a goodbye tribute to Joel and Ellie and the four years of developing the game. Sorry for not elaborating earlier.

Also, I was thinking of donating my steel book to the winner of the photo contest, how do I go about doing that?

thanks for going into detail.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Yep. Joel said they hadn't been speaking for awhile.

Re steel book. You should just pm the op of that contest thread.

daveo42

Banned
Just finished watching the stream. That was fantastic from start the finish. A great job by everyone involved and even the surprise at the end was insane. I really wish I could have seen that scene play out. Congrats again to ND for making such an incredible game.

Also the bit about the dirty magazine and it being Neil was fucking hilarious.

Naughty Dog is so up its own ass these days.

what-is-your-problem.gif.pagespeed.ce.x02sc7keuR_thumb%25255B2%25255D.gif

RedAssedApe

Banned
What? Seriously? That's one thing I've not tried.

It's on YouTube and archived on Twitch if you do decide to watch it.

From the original PS4 Ultimate faq...

Can I listen to audio CDs using PS4?
No, PS4 does not support audio CDs.

::shakes fist::

trolled again! guess i'll play it in my crappy old car ;)

Jobbs

Banned
Naughty Dog is so up its own ass these days.

I would have put it more diplomatically, but I kinda see this point of view.

Seriously, I love TLOU, it's *maybe* my favorite game of all time -- The first time I finished it, I was so riveted and sort of distraught that I couldn't concentrate on my work for a few days. As a package -- story, characters, acting -- It's completely unmatched.

After a certain point though I kinda felt like the self-fellating was also becoming unmatched. Constant self/eachother congratulating features with the actors and various people behind the game, movie announcements, and now a live stage performance.

I dunno. I guess the asshole in me is starting to feel like being an asshole. But it is a bit much. At some point you need to just move on.

DNAbro

Seriously, I love TLOU, it's *maybe* my favorite game of all time -- The first time I finished it, I was so riveted and sort of distraught that I couldn't concentrate on my work for a few days. As a package -- story, characters, acting -- It's completely unmatched.

After a certain point though I kinda felt like the self-fellating was also becoming unmatched. Constant self/eachother congratulating features with the actors and various people behind the game, movie announcements, and now a live stage performance.

I dunno. I guess the asshole in me is starting to feel like being an asshole. But it is a bit much. At some point you need to just move on.

well when you got it, flaunt it.

SegaShack

This pretty much describes how I feel. I wasn't into the game but the reaction to TLOU has gotten to their heads and made them arrogant. I miss the Uncharted days.

jaydogg691

I just got back from the event. When they said they were going to show a never been before scene I thought it was going to be shown on the live stream too. I guess people already described the scene pretty well. I did manage to record part of the scene, but at the end of the scene Geoff said not to upload or record on Druckmann's request. I already deleted the file, sorry guys. I do have this though.

xoKlK2U.jpg

This pretty much describes how I feel. I wasn't into the game but the reaction to TLOU has gotten to their heads and made them arrogant. I miss the Uncharted days.

How are they arrogant? You do realize this was Geoff's idea right? Explain how they are arrogant. Is it because they are one of the most successful studios right now? Please explain.

I see nothing wrong with ND branching out. This "experiment" was done on a shoestring budget and turned out to be a fantastic showcase of the actors and writing and music of the game.

There's Dead Space animated films, Assassin's Creed short films, a Halo live action feature and even an upcoming Halo TV series, and yet no one bats an eyelid at Ubisoft, EA or MS when they take a multimedia approach.

ClearData

Guys chill. This wasn't an awards show with 10/10 GOTY banners all over the place. This was an improvised performance thrown together quickly for fans of the game to celebrate its story and see the craft behind it on the eve of the remaster's release. No one forced you to watch it. Nothing about ND gives me an impression that they think they are too big now. They love what they do, work hard, and are talented. That's it.

Top Bottom