• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 1 Remake is not a "cash grab", says developer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member

A developer who worked on Naughty Dog's upcoming PS5 remake of The Last of Us Part 1 has hit back at claims it's "just a cash grab".

In a tweet on his personal Twitter account, Robert Morrison - whose credits also include Resident Evil 7, Injustice 2, and Santa Monica Studios' 2018 God of War reboot - countered such claims by insisting it is "the most meticiously built and crafted project" that's had "the highest level of care and attention to detail possible".

Well they should show it, then.

Because right now it just looks like TLOU 1 remade using TLOU 2 assets/AI. That's not a bad thing, but charging $70 is too rich for my tastes.

If there's something they aren't showing - like significantly re-designed levels, entirely new sections of the game or new/expanded set pieces, or cutscene quality character models in gameplay (like Aloy in HFW), then maybe it's a little more justified.

Last edited:
Had me wondering if this is Naughty Dog's attempt to get to grips with the new hardware just like they did with the PS4 remake of this same game which was an exercise to understanding the PS4 hardware.

Because right now it just looks like TLOU 1 remade using TLOU 2 assets/AI. That's not a bad thing, but charging $70 is too rich for my tastes.

If there's something they aren't showing - like significantly re-designed levels, entirely new sections of or set pieces, or cutscene quality character models in gameplay (like Aloy in HFW), then maybe it's a little more justified.
From what I've seen it doesn't even look like a big step up from Last Of Us 2 in terms of visuals. I was expecting much more when I heard its next gen exclusive.

Last edited:

Deerock71

YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE THAT ELLE NEEDS HEAD AND SHOULDERS!!! YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY A MINIGAME WHERE YOU WATERPIC BROCCOLI FROM BETWEEN ELLE'S MOLARS!!!

supernova8

Banned

If there's something they aren't showing - like significantly re-designed levels, entirely new sections of the game or new/expanded set pieces, or cutscene quality character models in gameplay (like Aloy in HFW), then maybe it's a little more justified.

Yeah it sounds like they painstakingly ... just moved everything over to TLOU2 stuff.

Looks great in isolation but not that impressive since TLOU2 is already out and ran fine on PS4. Not entirely sure TLOU2-level visuals running at 60fps on PS5 is something to be impressed about...? "look we can run a PS4 game at 60fps!" "yeah no shit mate"

Last edited:

3liteDragon

My only issue with this is the price, I’ve asked for a TLOU1 remake with TLOU2 visuals & mechanics but won’t be getting this at $70.

EDMIX

Because right now it just looks like TLOU 1 remade using TLOU 2 assets/AI

yea but, none of that even sounds like what we've called cash grabs before lol

When we saw ports charged full price, or remasters charged full price and nothing is different besides a resolution bump and frames, we called that cash grabs.....

To now argue a remake is one, might as well fucking say any game you don't like is a cash grab then lol At some point, the fucking term needs some solid bullet points to make sense and simply can't apply to a remake like this, too much work is already done here to really argue its a "cash grab".

I'd argue the original remaster on PS4 fits that better then this.

Krathoon

It really seemed like the PS4 version was good enough. How many times must we go to this well?
Does it have haptic feedback?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom