• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 | Abby Story Trailer

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Are people really interested in buying DLC about one of the most hated and controversial characters in recent gaming?
there are certain people yes...

weirdos so they are.
After TLOU2 I don’t think I want a TLOU3. Biggest disappointment for me last generation. It tried too hard, and just failed IMHO. Great graphics though....

that's basically Naughty Dog games summed up real good. shite story but great graphics tho.

Ulysses 31

It doesn't retell or revise anything whatsoever.
Yes it does, Ellie says she was supposed to die at that hospital when she didn't even know that dying would be a requirement to develop a vaccine when going there. There's indication that she wasn't planning to die since she made plans with Joel to go where ever he wanted afterwards.

She was never asked directly if she was willing to die and she never stated that she was willing to under the conditions the Fireflies put her and Joel in.

TLOU2 does seem to frame Joel's actions as dooming the world for selfish reasons where as in part 1 that was left more in the open for the player to interpret.

Last edited:

ksdixon

It doesn't retell or revise anything whatsoever. Its entirely consistent.

Its literally impossible to finish the first game without killing the doctor.

The doctor who changes ethnicity, in the room which is vastly upgraded in TLOU2 flashbacks to not being a grubby hole, to push the narrative of Fireflys being saviours rather than terrorists whom are on the brink of collapse. That doctor? The doctor who had given-up already, and was just going to cut up Ellie regardless, instead of super surgeon who was assured to be equipped to save the human race if it wasn't for that pesky Joel, that doctor, right?

Last edited:

Cimarron

I had my problems with LOU2... Abby was not one of them. If they had advertised her during the prelease it would have been better recieved. Same thing happened wit the switcheroo for the last Halo. Locke got a lot of hate unnecessarily because folks were blindsided by his prominence in the game. Devs need to learn that this never really works without warning.

HDM

mhlANYS.jpg

Business

After TLOU2 I don’t think I want a TLOU3. Biggest disappointment for me last generation. It tried too hard, and just failed IMHO. Great graphics though....

I think the game was good, on a league of its own in many things and I'm very looking forward to the MP.

Now, I agree the story on Part II was so bad it probably killed the franchise. People will say look it still sold amazingly well, but I think that's Part II riding on the success of the first game more than anything else. The damage of Part II won't be seen until Part III sales numbers or if there's no Part III at all.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So are they going to announce new sale numbers? Or would that allow everyone to draw a parallel that they dropped off a cliff unlike games like Ghost that continue to release there numbers...

I mean its not like the PS5 can sort its store by "top selling" in the PS4 section...

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i never finished TLOU 1. i tried to get through it a month ago or something but the constant "Joel is a piece of shit" from SJWs turned me off from it permanently. there is literally no point to playing that game now.

about a week ago i saw some thing on Kotaku that called Joel a horrible dad. im like, "for real? the man's daughter is killed in the opening tragic segments of his first game and now he's a horrible dad, all because of how he treated some stranger?"

so yeah i have no interest in any of these games. fuck even finishing the first one.

I never knew everyone hated Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Alyx Vance, Mona Sax and Sniper Wolf (to name just a few) so much...

Abby is sjw wet dream, a character that straight men don't like. They will prop up characters like that and then complain about "muh lack of representation...reeeee.."

Here are some badass women protagonists that could kick anyones ass. Notice they all likeable, not pushing an agenda and praised as at least competent if not great characters by gamers at large.
Sjws will swear "muh not enough female protagonists" .... what they mean is not enough man hating, male looking bull-lez style women who men wouldn't touch that will kick your ass and hand it to you characters that they can fantasize about destroying the patriarchy with.

Otherwise why would they ignore a shared history of gaming girls (just a small sample of Ass kicking babes):

Samas Aran (metroid)
Rayne (bloodrayne)
Cereza (Bayonetta)
Sophita (Soul Calibur)
IVY (Soul Calibur)
Cassandra (Soul Calibur)
Faith Conners (mirrors edge)
Kate Walker (Syberia series)
Zoë Maya Castillo (Dreamfall)
April Ryan (Dreamfall)
Aya Brea (parasite eve)
Chell (portal)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Claire Redfeild (Resident Evil)
Heather Mason (silent Hill 3)
Aerith (FF7)
Tifa (FF7)
Alice Lidell (American mcgees Alice)
Ms. Pacman (as herself)
Mona Sax (max payne)
Shanoa (castlevania order of Eclessia)
Charlotte Aulin (Castlevania Portrait of ruin)
FemShep (mass effect)
Odessa Silverberg (suikoden)
Yuna (Final Fantasy 10)
Lulu (FF10)
Rikku (FF10)
Paine (ff10)
Ashe (FF12)
Panelo (FF12)
Fran (FF12)
Etna (Disgaea)
Flonne (Disgaea)
Evie Frye (AC syndicate)
Cassandra (AC Odyssey)
Shield maiden don't know name (AC Valhalla)
Juliet Starling (lollipop chainsaw)
Kameo
Joanna Dark
Jade (Beyond Good and evil)
Jade (mk)
Sonya Blade (MK)
Sindell (MK)
Kitana (MK)
Clementine (TotWD)
Aloy (horizon)
Shantae
Madeline
Juno (rebel Galaxy Outlaw)
Miriam (bloodstained)
Bloodless (bloodstained)
Alma Wade (Fear)
Tina Armstrong (dead or alive)
Rachel (Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2)
Ayane (NGS2)
Momiji (NGS2)
Glados (portal)
Birdo (SMB2)
Cammy (street fighter)
Chun-Li (Street fighter)
R Mika (street fighter)
Christie montero (tekken)
Cate Archer (nolf)
Miranda Lawson (Mass Effect)

Last edited:

FALCON_KICK

I'd still crown Death Stranding for that, at least he was divisive for actual game-ish reasons, and not because of its creator acting like a twat on tweeter and journos mixing politics into the discussion to dismiss criticism
But Death stranding was a new IP altogether riding on hype of being associated with Kojima(without Konami "holding his vision back apparently") and his "A-list" cast of Hollywood actors/directors. While TLOU part 2 had gained a huge following due to TLOU part 1 which sold almost 20M copies on both PS4 and PS5 together.

Another problem with Death Stranding IMO seems to be the budget was overblown ($80M if you trust Dusk Golem while this link disagrees with him) for seemingly empty game with less assets on needlessly casting Hollywood big names when they don't add anything to the game. This is a Kojima problem.

Flyinmunky

Yeah. They did that to make you empathize with her. They bashed you over the head with a seemingly endless amount of those kind of things.

I can understand people not connecting with Abby and her story (I enjoyed the whole game) but being bashed over the head with great gameplay sections is something I'm fine with.

I wish the game was a little shorter and Ellie had some better sections. Not a fan of the boat sections.

Thaedolus

I liked the Abby section of the game and her as a character. Game meandered a bit and wasn't as tight as the first one, but it was still awesome. No idea why they'd release this now though.

Salz01

I think the game was good, on a league of its own in many things and I'm very looking forward to the MP.

Now, I agree the story on Part II was so bad it probably killed the franchise. People will say look it still sold amazingly well, but I think that's Part II riding on the success of the first game more than anything else. The damage of Part II won't be seen until Part III sales numbers or if there's no Part III at all.
The gameplay is good. I should clarify or added too. Yes I’m looking much toward factions because the gameplay and mechanics are good, if not great.

ksdixon

i never finished TLOU 1. i tried to get through it a month ago or something but the constant "Joel is a piece of shit" from SJWs turned me off from it permanently. there is literally no point to playing that game now.

about a week ago i saw some thing on Kotaku that called Joel a horrible dad. im like, "for real? the man's daughter is killed in the opening tragic segments of his first game and now he's a horrible dad, all because of how he treated some stranger?"

so yeah i have no interest in any of these games. fuck even finishing the first one.

This post is satire, right? Please play TLOU1. Unlike TLOU2 the story is actually good.
Probably because Bruce Straley threw-out Neil's original plot because it wasn't realistic, and then Neil and his victim complex just had to retro-fit it into TLOU2, no matter how much it destoryed the TLOU1 character's established personalities in the process and no matter how much it is ass.

rofif

Banned
This thread is full of people who have not played the game and still ride on the initial story leaks which were mostly false.
Most people I know who have finished the game, absolutely loved it and Abby was a highlight. What they did with player hating her and later she redeeming herself is exceptional and a very unique take.
We always want new, unique games that take bold RISKS... and when we get Death Stranding or risky sequel to tlou, it gets bashed.

I do agree that tlou2 is too long and sometimes drag but characters are fantastic

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
But is it really that unbelievable that in a post apocalyptic world where its physically demanding day to day.... That there would be 1 woman within a large group thats a bit muscley. Its not like ALL the women were like that.

I never really found her that interesting but I don't think she'd get half the criticism if they made her less muscly

dont get me wrong mate, i think shes fucking great, i loved the game and i loved the character

Top Bottom