• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 is now the 3rd most GOTY awards winner of all time. Let's see the top 10.

Jesus Christ what happened to you in your life that lead you to be the person who makes these kind of posts on the internet?

Evanft =
7jY35PP.jpg

My exact thinking.

That's got to be the quietest big awards winner ever.
It released in a year where there was pretty much nothing since companies expected slow start of ps4/xbox one generation after wii U failure.

So DA:I took most of the awards despite being average at best.

sncvsrtoip

it was not a strong year for video games. i believe overwatch did beat out UC4 in the critics vote by just just one award.

But other than that, it is bizarre. the game is a snoozefest and by far the worst uncharted.
nah, it's best with more mature narration ;) previous were fun games but definitly overrated

Last edited:
EU is PlayStation's biggest market Einstein. There are more PlayStation's there than anywhere else in the world.
I was talking about the total gaming market, as to say, "who gives a shit, they're #6", little dude. Answer me this, did Ghost of Tsushima beat Lou2 sales on PSN for PS4? Don't try and get out of it by pointing at something else there, Stephen Hawking. Plus Brexit happened, so is the U.K. still grouped in with EU? Find out.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I was talking about the total gaming market, as to say, "who gives a shit, they're #6", little dude. Answer me this, did Ghost of Tsushima beat Lou2 sales on PSN for PS4? Don't try and get out of it by pointing at something else there, Stephen Hawking. Plus Brexit happened, so is the U.K. still grouped in with EU? Find out.
You tried to downplay the EU market by saying it was 6th in the world, but you didn't realize it was biggest PS market. Now you're trying to maneuver your way out of it because you don't want to admit that you're wrong.

Overall PSN sales for TLOU 2 are higher.

What is it with people today who are so obsessed with cheap gratification like this? Can't people just like things without needing to be boosted by other people also liking a thing? What kind of shallow/hollow lives do people really have where something like this means something to them? Do they really need lists of things we like made by other people confirming what they already know?

Personally I like games because I like them, not because some suit in a tower splattered the landscape with an endless supply of marketing material and the people who were determined to love it (or hate it) shouted it's greatness or lameness from the rooftops for the next 15 years.

Also, too many of those video games are just trying to be movies where it seems the writers/directors are Oscarbaiting.

Guilty_AI

What is it with people today who are so obsessed with cheap gratification like this? Can't people just like things without needing to be boosted by other people also liking a thing? What kind of shallow/hollow lives do people really have where something like this means something to them? Do they really need lists of things we like made by other people confirming what they already know?

Personally I like games because I like them, not because some suit in a tower splattered the landscape with an endless supply of marketing material and the people who were determined to love it (or hate it) shouted it's greatness or lameness from the rooftops for the next 15 years.

Also, too many of those video games are just trying to be movies where it seems the writers/directors are Oscarbaiting.
Thats one too many words for you Lea

You tried to downplay the EU market by saying it was 6th in the world, but you didn't realize it was biggest PS market. Now you're trying to maneuver your way out of it because you don't want to admit that you're wrong.

Overall PSN sales for TLOU 2 are higher.
I didn't ask "overall". Did Ghost beat Lou2 in the U.S. on the PSN Network? Don't try to deceive.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I didn't ask "overall". Did Ghost beat Lou2 in the U.S. on the PSN Network? Don't try to deceive.

You asked if it beat PSN sales. Now you're moving goalpost by saying in the the US. We don't have US digital only sales, just US/Canada.

We have digital + physical sales in US only, which could very well mean TLOU 2 sold more digitally in the US.

You can't keep moving goalpost.

You asked if it beat PSN sales. Now you're moving goalpost by saying in the the US. We don't have US digital only sales, just US/Canada.

We have digital + physical sales in US only, which could very well mean TLOU 2 sold more digitally in the US.

You can't keep moving goalpost.
Here's a chart of why I'm trying to say your opinion doesn't matter. https://gamstat.com/playstation/ Plus you won't say it... just say it, it's right there. Say, "Ghost beat Lou2 on PSN in the U.S."

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Here's a chart of why I'm trying to say your opinion doesn't matter. https://gamstat.com/playstation/ Plus you won't say it... just say it, it's right there. Say, "Ghost beat Lou2 on PSN in the U.S."
Those "stats" doesn't prove your point.

Sony released combined stats for US/Canada, they never released US alone. We only have Digital + Physical sales provided by NPD which is only for the US region. It shows TLOU 2 ahead in this category.

Great to see it Sold very well and is being highly praised.

Really hoping this ensure a third installment and final chapter of Ellie's story

Favourite game series of all time.

ethomaz

Banned
I just tried one game...

Site GTS players: 13.3m

Atual GTS players: ~12.6m

That is why I don't take then as reliable... they are way off with the maths but it is not their fault... they use the trophy data % that are rounded and can generate over 1m difference in the final numbers.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Those "stats" doesn't prove your point.

Sony released combined stats for US/Canada, they never released US alone. We only have Digital + Physical sales provided by NPD which is only for the US region. It shows TLOU 2 ahead in this category.

And why do "they" only care about digital sales, when what matters most is digital+physical sales?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And why do "they" only care about digital sales, when what matters most is digital+physical sales?

These guys are desperate to show that GoT beating TLOU in a specific category. Reminds me when Xbox fanboys were celebrating an NPD win even though Sony was still winning world wide.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Really? i think it won based on the game's content despite the mixed reaction to the story and the controversial leaks. The game has very little flaws when it comes to gameplay. You can argue that the characters were boring and the story didnt work for you, and I will be with you, but I look at all the other big GOTY contenders and TLOU2 easily beats out all of them in almost every single category.

• Graphics? THE best. Amazing animation system. Best cutscene facial animations ever. Phenomenal world detail and lighting beat out probably only by cyberpunk in that particular area.
  • Combat? This is subjective. I personally thought the A.I, combat mechanics, and controls were up there with the best combat systems of this year. FF7, Ghost, Warzone, Demon Souls, Cyberpunk and Miles all play great are probably on par but i wouldnt fault anyone for picking TLOU2 over those games. I dont think i have ever played a third person shooter that gave me so many different tools to take out enemies. The revamped melee system and dodging really put this above MGSV which to me is the gold standard for TPS.
  • Level design and setpieces: I would love to play a game that had setpieces as intense as this game. I loved the exploration and combat setpieces like when Abby has no guns and has to use just her fists and hammer to take out clickers. Not to mention the incredible chase scenes and boss fights.
  • Story and cutscenes: There are simply no games out there with better dialogue, better facial animations and cutscene direction. We can argue about Abby being boring, and the game being devoid of humor, but there is no doubt that the "content" as you say is top notch.
The game won because of the content

Graphics? It was a bland and generic zombie style with no really memorable moments outside of the one boss battle with the mutated combo of clickers. GoT was a far better looking game IMO. Hades was even more so compared to both.

Gameplay/Combat? It was a generic third person system that had some stealth lite designs and failed to innovate much at all upon its predecessor. Metal Gear Solid V releases years prior and did everything TLoU2 did but better and with half of the effort. Suggesting otherwise is blind fanboyism.

Level Designs and Set Pieces? Have you played any of the Uncharted games prior to the PS4? All were superior to this. Hell, games released decades ago had better level designs for stealth and better combat arenas. Thief, Thief 2, Arx Fatalis, Dishonored, Tomb Raider, hell even Ff7R had better yet than here.

As for writing? Go play any of the infinity engine games and tell me with a straight face that this game comes even close to the dialogue in those titles. Planescape Torment is still the top dog when it comes to award winning writing in gaming and no game comes close.

TLOU2 is an average game at best and it won because of politics and vote brigading.

Opinions are opinions, but I have a hard time picturing how TLOU2 has swept the awards the way it has on the merits of the game content. It's probably going to go down as under appreciated in its time by the vocal internet users. Message boards will probably be more receptive to it in the future. I still think a lot of people had their minds made up from the leaks.

As far as expectations from mainstream media regarding their GOTY choice I can see why they'd choose a big budget AAA as GOTY as anything that resembles movies seem to be their objective standard to quality, but I'd expect more "gamer" focused outlets with their fingers on the pulse to go for a game like Hades.

It is what it is. Congratulations to Naughty Dog.
Tlou part 2 has the best third person stealth shooter gameplay of the gen with only MGS 5 challenging it. The level design is also some of the best of the entire gen. Those combat arenas are just ‘chefs kiss

Graphics? It was a bland and generic zombie style with no really memorable moments outside of the one boss battle with the mutated combo of clickers. GoT was a far better looking game IMO. Hades was even more so compared to both.

Gameplay/Combat? It was a generic third person system that had some stealth lite designs and failed to innovate much at all upon its predecessor. Metal Gear Solid V releases years prior and did everything TLoU2 did but better and with half of the effort. Suggesting otherwise is blind fanboyism.

Level Designs and Set Pieces? Have you played any of the Uncharted games prior to the PS4? All were superior to this. Hell, games released decades ago had better level designs for stealth and better combat arenas. Thief, Thief 2, Arx Fatalis, Dishonored, Tomb Raider, hell even Ff7R had better yet than here.

As for writing? Go play any of the infinity engine games and tell me with a straight face that this game comes even close to the dialogue in those titles. Planescape Torment is still the top dog when it comes to award winning writing in gaming and no game comes close.

TLOU2 is an average game at best and it won because of politics and vote brigading.
Almost everything you said was completely wrong congrats I guess

I dont really know, the website Gameawards.net is clearly different from gotypicks.blogspot.com. I mean Gameawards seem to collect a lot more awards than it. It seems the criteria is different for both of them on what counts. For years it was always gotyblogspot, why out of sudden gameawards is the one to go? is it because TLOU2 won more awards according to it? Also some of these GOTY awards are just mere articles written by one person, meh..i dont know if this qualify as same GOTY award like Gamespot or IGN where it is voted collectively by a the staff which is more than 10 people.

In short i think this whole game awards tracker is just inflated and inaccurate.
For example it says 2016 Uncharted 4 won, where if you count the prestigious awards and the important big outlet awards rather than simple articles made by one person then the clear winner will be Overwatch.
That’s not true about Uc 4 and overwatch and neither goty tracking site allows one person sites

Guilty_AI

Because people love Uc 4 and think it’s the best of the series that also had one of the best endings to a game series in video game history
So "Hero and heroine live happily ever after and have a kid that's totally not sequel bait" is the best ending you can think of?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So "Hero and heroine live happily ever after and have a kid that's totally not sequel bait" is the best ending you can think of?
It was an expected ending? Yes.
It was wonderful? Yes.
No better ending could fit the franchise... they really nailed the ending for the franchise or at least Nathan Drake's aventures.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

It was an expected ending? Yes.
It was wonderful? Yes.
No better ending could fit the franchise... they really nailed the ending for the franchise or at least Nathan Drake's aventures.
If its simple like that i could go on to point out many of other games. Hardly something worth calling "best ending ever!"

ethomaz

Banned
If its simple like that i could go on to point out many of other games. Hardly something worth calling "best ending ever!"
Maybe you did like another ending as being better.
For curiosity what other game has better ending for the franchise than Uncharted 4?

It was a epic soap novel ending that everybody likes... it is basically the thematic of the game.... an Indiana Jones franchise ending should be similar (or are you expecting something else from Indiana Jones 5?).

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You and Dforce believing that about me when you have no reason to speaks more against you then it ever will me, especially since I have never spoken out against people of color or the lgbtq. But have fun with that I guess. Ciao.

I don't know why my name is mentioned but I'm neutral when it comes to politics and I never said you were alt right.

What I DO see is that the most vocal crowd lean right. This is evident based on the fact that politics are often brought up whenever TLOU 2 is brought up.

This is no different than figuring out that the most vocal shouting for a lack of diversity or too much ass showing in video games are coming from the left. The real difference is that they the left move on after awhile while people on the right are still angry about TLOU.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Maybe you did like another ending as being better.
For curiosity what other game has better ending for the franchise than Uncharted 4?

It was a epic soap novel ending that everybody likes... it is basically the thematic of the game.... an Indiana Jones franchise ending should be similar (or are you expecting something else from Indiana Jones 5?).
Dunno, usually don't think too hard about it since game series never truly end.

I suppose GOW3 ended in a good note for what the series was always about.
MGS4 wasn't the best game in the series but it did pull out all stops in the nostalgia train, snake going back to shadow moses was a pretty brilliant moment.
Halo 3, same as GOW3, excellent end for what the series was about, since we're talking about endings that fit.
I suppose, even though i'm not a huge fan myself, i could throw The Witcher 3 in the fray too since it did end "fittingly", though the last installment took up pretty much all the fame of the series.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Dunno, usually don't think too hard about it since game series never truly end.

I suppose GOW3 ended in a good note for what the series was always about.
MGS4 wasn't the best game in the series but it did pull out all stops in the nostalgia train, snake going back to shadow moses was a pretty brilliant moment.
Halo 3, same as GOW3, excellent end for what the series was about, since we're talking about endings that fit.
I suppose, even though i'm not a huge fan myself, i could throw The Witcher 3 in the fray too since it did end "fittingly", though the last installment took up pretty much all the fame of the series.
I truly think MGS4 has an awesome ending and in a lot of aspects it is very similar to U4 ending (it is a happy ending).
GoW3 did not end the franchise... neither Halo 3... at least not how MGS4 or U4 did.
I could not end TW3.

Edit - Avoiding spoilers lol

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

GoW3 did not end the franchise... neither Halo 3... at least not how MGS4 or U4 did.
They certainly did, but as i said game series never die.
No matter how much these two games screamed "THIS IS THE END!!!" they were always going to make more... just like how they'll make more Uncharteds.

ethomaz

Banned
They certainly did, but as i said game series never die.
No matter how much these two games screamed "THIS IS THE END!!!" they were always going to make more... just like how they'll make more Uncharteds.
They will make more Nathan Drake games? I did not know that.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

They will make more Nathan Drake games? I did not know that.
You think they didn't "truly" end because the protagonist was still the protagonist in the series sequel? That hardly matters.

They were written as an ending and thats it. Its just that those games, GOW, Halo, Uncharted, even The Witcher, they all use the same narrative stunt of ending the story while still leaving a "hint" of continuation (because no way they'd waste a popular IP like that). It can be the character going to sleep for indefinite time, his body disappearing in a post-credits scene or "passing on the torch", its all the same story-telling trick in the end.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
You think they didn't "truly" end because the protagonist was still the protagonist in the series sequel? That hardly matters.

They were written as an ending and thats it. Its just that those games, GOW, Halo, Uncharted, even The Witcher, they all use the same narrative stunt of ending the story while still leaving a "hint" of continuation (because no way they'd waste a popular IP like that). It can be the character going to sleep for indefinite time, his body disappearing in a post-credits scene or "passing on the torch", its all the same story-telling trick in the end.
Naughty Dog will not release an uncharted game on ps5. You can screenshot this and send me $10 when the generation is over and they didn't release an Uncharted.

Top Bottom