• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 is now the 3rd most GOTY awards winner of all time. Let's see the top 10.

The most popular things are always the best.
783ae2c8808c3e530fc6bed5361792ea.jpg

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
SteamCharts and XBox Most Played Games list suggest something entirely different.

Game critics have been out of touch for a while.
Top 10 Most Played Xbox Games

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Fortnite
Grand Theft Auto V
Rocket League
Rainbow Six Siege
Apex Legends
Minecraft
NBA 2k12
ROBLOX
Madden NFL 21

It doesn't suggest otherwise. The list consist of multiplayer titles, which has more longevity than single player game. Just because a person played a game longer than the other, that doesn't mean they think it's better.

My most played games this year is a MOBA and a Fighter. I wouldn't put those games anywhere near my top 10 of the generation.

Kev Kev

These lists are meaningless to me. I often times don’t care for the games in them, or they didn’t look interesting enough for me to care trying the game out.

Madflavor

I love how all of these are games from the last four years.

This is nothing but a note on media inflation

I just realized "Game of the Year" doesn't really mean anything. I mean every year when it comes to film, you have the Best Picture award from the Oscars, which is THE award, and then maybe you can consider the Golden Globes since they're reputable and have enough of a history. But that's really it. Gaming doesn't have that equivalent. You've got the VGAs as the closest thing to it, but unlike film fans who watch the Oscars, gamers only watch the VGAs for trailers. So what you end up getting is a couple of hundred jerkoffs sounding off their Game of the Year, and then studios publically stroking themselves going "Wow guys! The Last of Us 2 won all these GotY awards!".

It's fucking embarrassing.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Top 10:
10.- Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 111 (2009)
Media Outlets: 73 | Readers' Choice: 38

6.- Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - 168
Media Outlets: 90 | Readers' Choice: 78

3.- The Last of Us Part II - 232 (2020)
Media Outlets: 156 | Readers' Choice: 76

2.- The Last of Us - 249 (2013)
Media Outlets: 191 | Readers' Choice: 58

Source:
4 of the top 10 from Naughty Dog.

Best in the industry by far

Last edited:

Nutsogood

Neo Member
Number 10 is tied with 2 games. Uncharted 2 and RDR. Both these games blow number 9 out the water in terms of what makes a great game. They're probably going to be knocked off the list in a few years.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

This just shows that anyone hands out awards these days. The result is that you have a zillion GOTY re-releases all claiming they've been the best game of that year. Its really whatever.

vivftp

It's my GOAT game and has left a lasting impression on me to this day. Even if they charge for the PS5 remaster I'll be there day 1 to play it again.

Self

I think all games on that list have strong merits. Not dragon age though. I really don’t understand what happened in that year.

I agree, a very solid list. I would rather exchange Witcher 3 for Skyrim though, but that's it. I only played Dragon Age Origins back in the days and it was a great game in my opinion.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
The most popular things are always the best.
I had the beginnings of quite a lengthy post in mind but really, this nails everything expertly. Well played.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Because it’s a great actual RPG.

If you love it, more on you - However I would never consider it anything above a mediocre rpg. It doesn’t come close to games that released a decade plus prior.

When you have games like Baldur’s Gate 1 and 2 which have objectively more in-depth and complex battle systems and games like Planescape torment which has some of the single best writing in gaming as a whole - I can only but laugh at people who suggest that any of the western rpgs on these game od the year lists (or western games in general) are best in either category.

tommib

I agree, a very solid list. I would rather exchange Witcher 3 for Skyrim though, but that's it. I only played Dragon Age Origins back in the days and it was a great game in my opinion.
Origins was great and one of my favourites from that year but Inquisition was the kiss of death of generic fantasy cliches and totally bloated with inconsequential quests. Almost like a F2P.

Tschumi

Hmm, I'm not sure there's a fixed number of goty awards? Seems to me like a ton more have popped up in the last 8 years or so?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Hmm, I'm not sure there's a fixed number of goty awards? Seems to me like a ton more have popped up in the last 8 years or so?
any brain dead cunt and claims goty year these days. Look at the majority of these no name (or incredibly untrustworthy) sites.

Not that it really matters as the only folks who take stock in GotY awards are sad folks who are insecure in their own opinions and seek validation from outside sources.

Tschumi

any brain dead cunt and claims goty year these days. Look at the majority of these no name (or incredibly untrustworthy) sites.

Not that it really matters as the only folks who take stock in GotY awards are sad folks who are insecure in their own opinions and seek validation from outside sources.
Sounds about right! I wonder if there's any award that tru g4merz genuinely look at as legit

Both manlet TLOU games looking up at a true titan of critical praise, gaming excellence, and ploughing must enrage so many Sony apologists and the "SEEDEEPEEAARGH r trAnzphobes and wacists!" crowd.

This is like celebrating some disposable pop singer because she has a million Spotify plays. Same reason Marvel movies make a billion dollars. Pedestrian content made for people with terrible tastes. "Official" GOTY awards are fucking garbage anyways and just one more way for people to feel a product validates their lives. What a sad world we live in. Very cool for the devs to get recognition for their work and hope they get some bonuses after all those years though.

Top Bottom