• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I - PS5 - Coming September 2 (PC version in development)

Matsuchezz

Because the Remastered PS4 version can he had for under $10, genius. It still holds up reasonably well visually.
fe0.gif
That is dumb. if you think that you are fooling yourself not me.

People crying about this game are making me want to buy it day one.

I don't get why my suggestion of presenting a money saving option over a $70 option has people so triggered.
Buy or recommend whatever you like man. As if people didn't already know a remaster for the PS4 existed.

It's interesting that this forum has loads of people celebrating when one version of a game runs better/holds framerate better than the competing console. Or has better graphics settings/visual fidelity than a competing console

But we're getting bent out of shape when a superior version of a game is being released??

Like, I'd be annoyed if Sony removed the original TLOU or TLOU:Remastered from the store and forced you to play the Remake but that isn't happening. All we have now are more choices to play.

🤷‍♂️ Play it on PS3 if you want, but why be a wet blanket when there are people genuinely excited to play this for the first time - or again - at the best settings offered on PS5?
Not to mention that they all speak from experience after getting both version of the game day one. They spend $120 minimum just to fight over minor differences they pretend to notice but then get mad that one of the most critically acclaimed games in the last decade is getting a remake.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Buy or recommend whatever you like man. As if people didn't already know a remaster for the PS4 existed.
I will get it at some point. Day 1? Not likely. I'll probably buy it when it drops to $39.99 which it will hopefully do on Black Friday.

The only reason I wouldn't get it is if there end up being some drastic retcons aside from the ending Doctor being Abby's dad.

EDMIX

I don't get why my suggestion of presenting a money saving option over a $70 option has people so triggered.

Look, its not that one can't save money this way, in this regard you are correct, but context is needed.

The Last Of Us remaster and the remake are not the same. The difference of almost a decade from release and more then a decade in regards to hardware difference is key here. I myself can play The Last Of Us 1 no problem, but sir...I can play lots of games deep in the PS1, PS2 era no issue, but you and I are not the target audience here, new consumers, new gamers, folks who watch the series, new PS5 owners are likely the target as well as established fans.

The game was not made IN CASE the original was unplayable, its made cause regardless of how anyone feels about this, a decade has almost past between these titles, 14 years is the difference from that hardware in terms of PS3 to PS5, Sony is a business, not a charity. Thus, a remake makes sense for the company, makes sense for the fans who are new to the series, makes sense to established fans too, makes sense for the team at ND that got nothing to do while those other projects move thru phases. So the idea of a cheaper option existing is a moot point, one could argue that about any remake as any fan of any game can just say they have no issue playing a PS1 or NES game or something and say "holds up, you saving money doe", its simply that such a idea makes little sense for most consumers.

Anyone that got a hold of a PS5 clearly has money for this remake lol

My only real issue with your suggestion btw is you never played the game to be giving a suggestion in the first place. I beat the game 13 or 14 times and own 2 versions of it, there is a solid, logical reason why I'm saying those titles may not make sense for 2022 for most gamers. The game can run, its design is still in 2013 and its base is still from PS3 hardware, it will have its limitations with gameplay, AI, design, movement and a host of things. If a fan like me is telling you that remake should always be suggested, take what I'm saying seriously about The Last Of Us 1's shortcomings. Me loving it and playing it a dozen times doesn't mean I can with a straight face tell a gamer in 2022 to have that be their first time with the IP. I can only suggest the remake in this situation based on what features I'm reading. Better gameplay, better AI, in a different engine to match 2, no loading, new character models etc, but the AI and gameplay is key here, that is the only thing i ever had against the first game, why would I tell someone to play THAT version with the bad AI? Don't play the smart, flanking, combat heavy AI? Play the clunky controls instead? This sounds like a bad thing to tell someone to play imho. From how The Last Of Us 2 feels, simply making 1 feel that way with the same story means by default, that is the game to play, not the original.

I don't see any feature worth going back to in the original game. I would never say that btw if the gameplay was solid and the AI was some revolutionary thing, but this isn't a game where its BEST features, trump Part 2, not 1 feature in the original game is better then part 2, not 1. Thus, the default is part 2 and that engine being in part 1 means I couldn't recommend going back. This is such a story and narrative heavy game, that any improvement in the gameplay means to leave behind the original like dead weight. We are getting the same story, but better visuals and gameplay, thus...I don't have anything to recommend to go back to in regards to playing a inferior version. It would need to be GTA Trilogy levels of bad for me to take any of that back lol I'd rather tell them to save the 70 and just buy it used, then to play worst version. Me playing it 14 plus times doesn't mean I'd ask someone else to if the remake is out or something.

DeepSpace5D

Look, its not that one can't save money this way, in this regard you are correct, but context is needed.

The Last Of Us remaster and the remake are not the same. The difference of almost a decade from release and more then a decade in regards to hardware difference is key here. I myself can play The Last Of Us 1 no problem, but sir...I can play lots of games deep in the PS1, PS2 era no issue, but you and I are not the target audience here, new consumers, new gamers, folks who watch the series, new PS5 owners are likely the target as well as established fans.

The game was not made IN CASE the original was unplayable, its made cause regardless of how anyone feels about this, a decade has almost past between these titles, 14 years is the difference from that hardware in terms of PS3 to PS5, Sony is a business, not a charity. Thus, a remake makes sense for the company, makes sense for the fans who are new to the series, makes sense to established fans too, makes sense for the team at ND that got nothing to do while those other projects move thru phases. So the idea of a cheaper option existing is a moot point, one could argue that about any remake as any fan of any game can just say they have no issue playing a PS1 or NES game or something and say "holds up, you saving money doe", its simply that such a idea makes little sense for most consumers.

Anyone that got a hold of a PS5 clearly has money for this remake lol

This is the weird part for me. Even almost 2 years after release, it takes real effort for most people to obtain a PS5. Many people who own one were willing to wait, spend time searching for one, gladly shell up $500, or let’s be honest, probably more than that with a game or two bundled in order to get one.

Are these the same people that are really concerned with a $10 increase in first-party titles?

This is a current gen remake, no crossgen involvement. For me personally, this is the primary reason I’m an early adopter, for content like this.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I'd really like to play this back to back with number 2 on launch but I'll definitely regret not getting it on pc

Decisions, decisions!

Pc version will continue to look better and better every time I upgrade from my 3090ti etc

Native 4k@120hz and beyond

drezz

I'd really like to play this back to back with number 2 on launch but I'll definitely regret not getting it on pc

Decisions, decisions!

Pc version will continue to look better and better every time I upgrade from my 3090ti etc

Native 4k@120hz and beyond
And mods.

I remembered when lou1 came out and the MP was sooo good , it saddened me it wasnt on PC.
And now! Here we are... about to get a remake/remaster on pc... but they cut out the MP...
Very frustrating.

Naru

I am just glad they included the Remastered version to PS+ Extra so no one really needs to buy this.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

I don't get why the price is such an issue on this game. Sure it's a game most of us already know, sure the PS4 version still looks alright, but they totally remade the game graphically, the animations, it's a lot lot of work so yeah it's not just a resolution and frame rate upgrade...

I think some are frustrated because they already have the game on PS4 (I've it on PS3 and 4) and are good with it, it's enough, but now because of this superior version they feel like they won't play the OG version anymore so it becomes useless and the ticket to upgrade now is at 70$. Then just wait the price will obviously go down at some point. But yeah the people getting angry now are people who wanna play it soon I guess.

I found it at 60€ it preorder so it's "alright" to me, TLOU is really a franchise that I love so I'll be happy to play it soon with those upgraded graphics.

PS : cinema lovers don't seem to be so childish than gaming lovers, when they buy Blade Runner for the 6th times after the VHS, director's cut VHS, DVD, DVD version 2, BR, BR2, BR4K, etc etc. :)

I don't get why the price is such an issue on this game. Sure it's a game most of us already know, sure the PS4 version still looks alright, but they totally remade the game graphically, the animations, it's a lot lot of work so yeah it's not just a resolution and frame rate upgrade...

I think some are frustrated because they already have the game on PS4 (I've it on PS3 and 4) and are good with it, it's enough, but now because of this superior version they feel like they won't play the OG version anymore so it becomes useless and the ticket to upgrade now is at 70$. Then just wait the price will obviously go down at some point. But yeah the people getting angry now are people who wanna play it soon I guess.

I found it at 60€ it preorder so it's "alright" to me, TLOU is really a franchise that I love so I'll be happy to play it soon with those upgraded graphics.

PS : cinema lovers don't seem to be so childish than gaming lovers, when they buy Blade Runner for the 6th times after the VHS, director's cut VHS, DVD, DVD version 2, BR, BR2, BR4K, etc etc. :)

Yeah people are mad they are gonna cave to FOMO.

A lot of people thought maybe if they complained or cracked enough jokes Sony would have a change of heart and drop it 20 dollars lol

Last edited:

Aggelos

The top-down remake of The Last of Us Part I, which comes to PlayStation 5 on September 2, will include nearly all accessibility features from the 2020 sequel. (Those omitted, such as Alternate Boat Controls, are specific to plot elements in the sequel.) Part I will also include several new additions, including full audio descriptions for cinematics. The team enlisted the aid of Descriptive Video Works — the same team used by Netflix — rather than trying to master the subtle art by themselves.

saintjules

Yeah people are mad they are gonna cave to FOMO.

A lot of people thought maybe if they complained or cracked enough jokes Sony would have a change of heart and drop it 20 dollars lol

This is exactly it and I was saying that before.

It's $70. The people who want it can't afford it or cannot find a way to justify spending money on it. And in the meantime they don't want FOMO or gameplay shown online while they are waiting for a sale.

Last edited:
Stop being a manchild.

It's clear why accessibility is a big thing and it's clear who it benefits.
Nah ...it's being hailed as something revolutionary and being used to justify the $70 instead of things that actually matter to the 99% who aren't disabled. It's having articles written about it because people lap this up for some bizarre reason. It doesn't deserve more than a quick mention somewhere in a trailer. ND and Sony are blinding you with things that matter to less than a percent of gamers while failing to do what they implied they would with this Remake and failing to make it look like a ps5 exclusive. Accessibility is nothing new anyway yet they're acting like it is. A blind person can't play a VIDEOgame like this anyway except for listen to some narrator while another person actually plays with a controller. There are probably 2 people in the world that this applies to.

It's insulting to see them make such a big deal about this when that time could've been put into actually making this look next gen.

Topher

Gold Member
Nah ...it's being hailed as something revolutionary and being used to justify the $70 instead of things that actually matter to the 99% who aren't disabled. It's having articles written about it because people lap this up for some bizarre reason. It doesn't deserve more than a quick mention somewhere in a trailer. ND and Sony are blinding you with things that matter to less than a percent of gamers while failing to do what they implied they would with this Remake and failing to make it look like a ps5 exclusive. Accessibility is nothing new anyway yet they're acting like it is. A blind person can't play a VIDEOgame like this anyway except for listen to some narrator while another person actually plays with a controller. There are probably 2 people in the world that this applies to.

It's insulting to see them make such a big deal about this when that time could've been put into actually making this look next gen.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Educate yourself:

Last edited:
It's sad how accessibility is being pushed as if it's this huge deal. Pathetic actually. Who gives a fuck?
I think it's a big deal because not all games have this depth of accessibility support 🙂

Nice that companies are giving more players more options and I hope ND continues to push accessibility features further (if possible)

Last edited:
Old school low effort console war bait. Don’t.

Imagine if Microsoft charged $70 for the Gears Remake today. Something that took a lot more work than this and didn't remove the MP. Launched at $40 iirc.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
Imagine if Microsoft charged $70 for the Gears Remake today. Something that took a lot more work than this and didn't remove the MP. Launched at $40 iirc. Cheaper than even the first TLOU remaster, and it's a remake of a better game.
And a "what if?" Is all we're gonna get.

SenkiDala

Imagine if Microsoft charged $70 for the Gears Remake today. Something that took a lot more work than this and didn't remove the MP. Launched at $40 iirc. Cheaper than even the first TLOU remaster, and it's a remake of a better game.
And it took a lot more work than this because ? Based on what ? Have a good day

Top Bottom