• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II first hands-on previews, screenshots, and gameplay

Mista

Banned
TLoU2-Previews_09-26-19.jpg

Several outlets have gone live with the first hands-on previews of Sony Interactive Entertainment and Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us Part II, which include new gameplay and screenshots.

Here are a few of the outlets covering the game today: 4Gamer.net, Easy Allies, Eurogamer (2), Famitsu (2), Game Informer, GameSpot (2, 3, 4, 5), GameXplain, IGN (2), Kotaku, PlayStation Blog, PlayStation Blog Japan, Polygon, USgamer (2, 3), VentureBeat, and VG247 (2, 3).

GameSpot

IGN

Inside Playstation

Playstation Access

USgamer

Screenshots:

Gematsu

Last edited:

makaveli60

It looks good but I can't help but be disappointed still. It seems clear now that the E3 demo was once again just smoke and mirrors to deceive people as it was scripted AF and the final game won't play like that. The problem is that this is still among the best the industry can offer but I'm getting tired of the fact that developers/publishers always try to deceive us with showing something much more impressive than what they can deliver. I don't understand this even, the people who follow these videos are mostly the hardcore segment of gamers and they will spot the differences so why are they still doing this? Anyway, I won't support this and will only buy a used version.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

It looks good but I can't help but be disappointed still. It seems clear now that the E3 demo was once again just smoke and mirrors to deceive people as it was scripted AF and the final game won't play like that. The problem is that this is still among the best the industry can offer but I'm getting tired of the fact that developers/publishers always try to deceive us with showing something much more impressive than what they can deliver. I don't understand this even, the people who follow these videos are mostly the hardcore segment of gamers and they will spot the differences so why are they still doing this? Anyway, I won't support this and will only buy a used version.
The EasyEllies* preview broaches that towards the end and it doesn't seem to be the case.

*see what I did there

Last edited:

GenericUser

I don't know, looks like more of the same (with better graphics and lesbians). I really don't think this will be a day one purchase and I think I can wait until I can grab it when it's really cheap or free.

EDIT:
regarding the multiplayer: I actually think this was one of TLOUs strong suits, it was a unique take on team deathmatch with hide and seek elements and crafting. Too bad ND is too incompetent to support a multiplayer game.

Last edited:

Aggelos

"It’s so ambitious the game doesn’t fit on one BluRay, it’s on two discs. It’s so ambitious that we actually decided to make it single player only. There’s no multiplayer in The Last of Us Part 2. We wanted to take all of the resources to make this the biggest game we’ve ever done.”

Last edited:

joe_zazen

I don't know, looks like more of the same (with better graphics and lesbians). I really don't think this will be a day one purchase and I think I can wait until I can grab it when it's really cheap or free.

Yeah, getting tired of kil kill kill kill cutscene kil kill kill kill cutscene kill kill kill kill cutscene games, esp when the gfx are too realistic. Makes me feel bad, lol.

Any word on whether it will have a story mode where you can skip the violence? i wish the game followed the gameplay of TLOU left behind dlc, and not the main game. That dlc was soooooo good.

On 2 blus, legit mind blown 😲😲😲😲..glad all resources went to Campaign.

joe_zazen

I personally very much enjoyed the first game and definitely getting this day one. I hope some people get over the anger about playing as a gay character. Same way developers should be free to make sexy designs for their games then they should also be free to have gay as main character.

If they played the first one, they have already played as a gay character. How could anyone hate tlou 1 Ellie?

This new hate-fuelled Ellie though, idk if i am going to want to spend time with her, lol. Hopefully not a miserable git like post apocalypse joel.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I do feel like there has been a graphical downgrade compared to that E3 2018 gameplay, probably they've left some space for the improvement for the next-gen console.

Based on the footage from this week, it looks the same as the E3 trailer.

It may look different due to the cloudy weather, but when Ellie steps inside the house in the gameplay video released today, you can see detail on her clothing much better.

It's laughable wherever I go and see talks of graphical downgrades from PlayStation exclusives, Have you guys not seen the kind of graphical upgrades almost every major PS4 exclusive got when it launched? Y'all so desperate to eat crow huh?

There's exactly one poster in this thread who used the word "downgrade" and even then it was a very reasonable post about them upgrading how the game looks for the next-gen system.

vpance

I do feel like there has been a graphical downgrade compared to that E3 2018 gameplay, probably they've left some space for the improvement for the next-gen console.

Yeah I mean it's clear the E3 demo is spruced up, especially with the more dramatic camera angles and stuff. Animations too. But I don't think they ever said that was meant to be gameplay footage.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
There's exactly one poster in this thread who used the word "downgrade" and even then it was a very reasonable post about them upgrading how the game looks for the next-gen system.

You basically agreed with him.

People screamed downgrade with Spider-Man due to a change of the environment, his suit and the lighting.

What we have seen thus far, nothing indicated a downgrade in graphics.

GermanZepp

From Vandal Spain in regard of animations/general quality

Everything that surprised us in the 2018 demo is there and is real, despite the disbelief it generated in the industry due to its realism.

Last edited:

makaveli60

From Vandal Spain in regard of animations/general quality
I don't know who that is, but then why can't we see anything from that in these videos? I watched again the E3 demo and it's so obvious now that it was just bullshit, though I hoped that maybe ND could deliver. It was totally scripted. I hate CG trailers but at least when I'm watching those I don't get my hopes up that the game will be like that. This new practice is disgusting.

GermanZepp

I don't know who that is, but then why can't we see anything from that in these videos? I watched again the E3 demo and it's so obvious now that it was just bullshit, though I hoped that maybe ND could deliver. It was totally scripted. I hate CG trailers but at least when I'm watching those I don't get my hopes up that the game will be like that. This new practice is disgusting.

Agreed.

Top Bottom