• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread - *NO. SPOILERS. PERIOD.*

What will TLOU 2 average score be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Did you give it a 10/10 overall? The great majority of the critics gave it a 10/10 score. Either these critics are extremely out of touch with normal people, or they were influence/persuaded to give it 1 or 2 more points than it deserved. Which reeks of shills and paid reviews.

And you didn't even play it, right?

I've seen so many spoilers. I know how the plot biggest plot points play out, but it's still nothing compared to actually playing the game and putting more context on the story.

This is just me, but maybe people feel different than people who played the game versus those who HAVEN'T played the game.

Madflavor

Keep getting mad that this game will do insanely well especially when word of mouth spreads about how great it is

It'll do amazingly well in sales for sure. The legacy of this game however, will be felt years from now when TLoU3 gets announced, because it will not have nearly the same level of interest and anticipation that TLoU2 had. With the MC score and the sales figures, this will be an incredible, but short term victory for Sony, ND and Neil. Longterm however doesn't have as healthy of an outlook for the series. TLoU2 was riding off the wave of the groundbreaking and widely beloved TLoU1. But TLoU3 will be riding off of TLoU2, which is receiving widespread hatred and rejection by gamers, streamers and youtube reviewers. Granted not everyone hates it., but it's really obvious at this point that a staggering amount of people either are disappointed, or outright dislike the story.

Will this kill the series? No, it'll still have it's fans, and it'll still have people who will buy Part 3 outta curiousity. But you're probably looking at another TLJ/TRoS situation. TLJ was a critical darling, but was very divisive. Anyone who disliked TLJ was mocked as a vocal minority, a bigot, etc etc. Then TRoS dropped and made $300 million less than TLJ. It was undeniable that film damaged the brand. The same thing will happen here. I suppose if all Neil Druckmann cares about is creating discourse and getting a fat paycheck for it, he'll be happy. It's just a shame so many people had to get hurt because of it, especially nowadays when life is so shitty as is.

The good news is there are still plenty of writers out there who don't write stories for themselves, but to bring joy to the people who experience them. In a few weeks people will get their hands on Ghosts of Tsushima, and Cyberpunk 2077 in November, and TLoU2 will become an afterthought for a lot of folk. Will TLoU2 win GOTY awards? Probably. But it'll have the same weight behind it as when Game of Thrones Season 8 won Best Drama.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It'll do amazingly well in sales for sure. The legacy of this game however, will be felt years from now when TLoU3 gets announced, because it will not have nearly the same level of interest and anticipation that TLoU2 had. With the MC score and the sales figures, this will be an incredible, but short term victory for Sony, ND and Neil. Longterm however doesn't have as healthy of an outlook for the series. TLoU2 was riding off the wave of the groundbreaking and widely beloved TLoU1. But TLoU3 will be riding off of TLoU2, which is receiving widespread hatred and rejection by gamers, streamers and youtube reviewers. Granted not everyone hates it., but it's really obvious at this point that a staggering amount of people either are disappointed, or outright dislike the story.

Will this kill the series? No, it'll still have it's fans, and it'll still have people who will buy Part 3 outta curiousity. But you're probably looking at another TLJ/TRoS situation. TLJ was a critical darling, but was very divisive. Anyone who disliked TLJ was mocked as a vocal minority, a bigot, etc etc. Then TRoS dropped and made $300 million less than TLJ. It was undeniable that film damaged the brand. The same thing will happen here. I suppose if all Neil Druckmann cares about is creating discourse and getting a fat paycheck for it, he'll be happy. It's just a shame so many people had to get hurt because of it, especially nowadays when life is so shitty as is.

The good news is there are still plenty of writers out there who don't write stories for themselves, but to bring joy to the people who experience them. In a few weeks people will get their hands on Ghosts of Tsushima, and Cyberpunk 2077 in November, and TLoU2 will become an afterthought for a lot of folk. Will TLoU2 win GOTY awards? Probably. But it'll have the same weight behind it as when Game of Thrones Season 8 won Best Drama.
I can't fully judge it yet because I still have a ways to go but it's great so far and I can definitely see it getting GOTY

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Yeah, I've liked it more or less up to where I am but I hear they try to take things in a certain direction that I strongly disagree with later.
Either way, gameplay is super on point. I wish they had a mode that just randomly generated a city block and just let me clear it. Or that'd be a dope co-op mission for some MP. The act of running around and how smoothly each animation flows into the next is simply bliss. Melee fights can end up looking like action movies, but not in the shitty QTE ways they're done in other games, you have a lot of control of your character and it's so much fun. The gameplay is really exciting and tense and I just can't pull myself away from the splendor of how good this all looks and sounds on top of how fun it is to play.

I can't fully judge it yet because I still have a ways to go but it's great so far and I can definitely see it getting GOTY
I think once people have a complete perspective of the game, I don't think they'll be so inclined to think it'll be GOTY, but recognize it as a really special game that takes some bold directions and throws caution to the wind in regard to it's predecessor. I guess I mean, it's a great game that should be played, but as a complete package, it kinda stumbles on one of the foundations it was built on in terms of storytelling. Either way, my issues with it's story, I still think it'd make a great addition to just about everyone's library.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Played about 5 hours so far. I am not really feeling it too much. Not grabbing.
And the weed scene... Weed is cool even in apocalypse? cmon.
Anyway - it's a long game and it's very slow so far. I've got a feeling it will get going but 10/10? For slowly walking for few hours? (and yes, I loved firewatch and gone home).
And the story so far?... no comment.

Anyway - the grass is very impressive but maybe replaying Uncharted 4 last month hurts the impact of this, since I really think uc4 look better in some spots so far... and has a lot more going on gameplay and character wise. Again - Only few hours in so maaaaybe

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I guess no matter where you stand on the game, Naughty Dog deserves HEAPING AMOUNTS of praise for the Accessibility Options. Like, I don't need to use mostly any of them, but being able to tweak SO many DIFFERENT fucking options is NEVER a bad move. I can imagine how much it makes a difference for someone with a physical eyesight issues. Bravo Naughty Dog.

Played about 5 hours so far. I am not really feeling it too much. Not grabbing.
And the weed scene... Weed is cool even in apocalypse? cmon.
Anyway - it's a long game and it's very slow so far. I've got a feeling it will get going but 10/10? For slowly walking for few hours? (and yes, I loved firewatch and gone home).
And the story so far?... no comment.

Anyway - the grass is very impressive but maybe replaying Uncharted 4 last month hurts the impact of this, since I really think uc4 look better in some spots so far... and has a lot more going on gameplay and character wise. Again - Only few hours in so maaaaybe

Weed was around before technology, it's gonna be around well after humanity is gone too. It has a tremendous amount of value.
giphy.gif

And I disagree with your comparison to Uncharted 4. The wife and I just played it last week over 4 days in 4k hdr and it is a great looking game, but we both agree that Part II absolutely blows it out of the water in terms of grass, enviroment, animation(especially facial animations.) Her and I are more PC gamers and think Part 2 is one of the best looking games ever made. Most people her think I am a Sony hater and I still am blown away by it's visuals. It would easily benefit from 60fps and my fucking god mouse and keyboard support, but even I gotta admit it takes the cake right now.

Last edited:
You sure look angry. It's ok man, game is great, it sells pretty well, there's nothing you can do about it. Have a break, go on a walk. Life is great.

Don't reflect your own feelings towards me, I'm sure your plenty happy the game is being shitted upon, and rightfully so lol

REE Machine

Banned
Had to check what most people think of this game... 3.5!?! :pie_roffles:
That's all that matters, not your silly numbers. This game is still shit, keep being butthurt and defending shit, shill.
You say silly numbers dont matter yet your using silly numbers as in review bombing.

atleast sales are accurate not like the written reviews by some fat neckbeard thats how did trump put it....in Ch!Naaahhh

Valentino

I think it's fuckery that people are still around trying to put shit on this game when it's clearly doing extremely well and players are coming away saying it's great. The people in here saying it's meh are the same ones who've been absolutely repulsed by this game since the leaks came out. I can't even take genuine negative impressions seriously because all the other losers (the ones who never liked the first game. The ones who loath ND. The ones who don't even own a playstation") come across like a smear campaign.

Last edited:

Entroyp

This game keeps getting better and better after a slow start. I enjoyed putting bullets in dog skulls more that I thought I would. I can see where all the praise from virtually all media outlets is coming from now.

So far a solid 10/10 for me. I don’t really relate with the characters and story but I didn’t like Joel in the first one anyway.

Last edited:

REE Machine

Banned
This game keeps getting better and better after a slow start. I enjoyed putting bullets in dog skulls more that I thought I would. I can see where all the praise from virtually all media outlets is coming from now.

So far a solid 10/10 for me. I don’t really relate with the characters and story but I didn’t like Joel in the first one anyway.
Shhh you're sounding like a shill, quick change that 10 to a 3

MiguelItUp

All in all it's like people completely forgot that others can have different opinions that are different than theirs and that it's okay. The whole"meltdown" behind this is ridiculous.

Those hating on those loving it, are no different than those hating on those hating it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

My perspective? Gameplay is on par with the previous game if not slightly better. Story is odd, has weird pacing, and potentially falls short. Have I bought it yet? Nah. I'm sure I will at some point, but not anytime soon.

The second half of the game so far is way stronger than the first imo (although it kinda feels in a way like a retread of the first game)

Vroadstar

All in all it's like people completely forgot that others can have different opinions that are different than theirs and that it's okay. The whole"meltdown" behind this is ridiculous.

Those hating on those loving it, are no different than those hating on those hating it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

My perspective? Gameplay is on par with the previous game if not slightly better. Story is odd, has weird pacing, and potentially falls short. Have I bought it yet? Nah. I'm sure I will at some point, but not anytime soon.

So you have not played it, yet you are talking about gameplay being on par with previous one, has pacing problems and it falls short. Really? Are you not the same poster who said you did not like the 1st game yet you preordered TLoU2 and you cancelled because of that one review by SkillUp

rofif

Banned
So you have not played it, yet you are talking about gameplay being on par with previous one, has pacing problems and it falls short. Really? Are you not the same poster who said you did not like the 1st game yet you preordered TLoU2 and you cancelled because of that one review by SkillUp
(Different guy)
I liked the first game more so far (5 hours). This one is extremely slow and not so grabbing yet. The puzzles are tiny but fine. I am not sure what's the deal yet. Uc4 also started slow like few hours movie so maybe.
And correction on graphics from my previous post. Technically it is superior to uncharted 4 but I still think uc4 kinda looks better. And death stranding also looks on par but with worse grass.
Tlou2 has the best grass and foliage ever so far

Last edited:

Vroadstar

(Different guy)
I liked the first game more so far (5 hours). This one is extremely slow and not so grabbing yet. The puzzles are tiny but fine. I am not sure what's the deal yet. Uc4 also started slow like few hours movie so maybe.
And correction on graphics from my previous post. Technically it is superior to uncharted 4 but I still think uc4 kinda looks better. And death stranding also looks on par but with worse grass.
Tlou2 has the best grass and foliage ever so far

The prologue part is definitely tame (it's more of tutorial really) with the snow and all it doesn't pop out immediately but you can definitely see its better than 1, when I got to Seattle damn can't stop taking photos and it starting to open up gameplay wise and I'm still in the initial part of Seatlle so I'm definitely enjoying it better than TLOU so far.

Last edited:

Strategize

I really do think it's a 10. Having beat it a few hours ago.

So much of the criticism I've seen boils down feeling people watched the opening and the ending, and skipped everything in between. Even if they didn't, that's what it feels like, very hivemind-ish. That their love for certain characters was far too great for the game itself to handle.

The tribal nature of the reaction to the game mirrors the actual characters in the story so much it's almost scary.
It really makes you wonder though. For a game that's gotten so much backlash, how does it get such a high Metacritic score?
Because it's an extremely well-made game. And the subjective grey area of the game's story more closely aligns with how journos are taught to "review" games, trying to look at what something is rather than what they want it to be.

Fans and casuals don't do that, they like who they like and they hate who they hate, trying to break down that barrier and challenge said perspective doesn't make them think, it just pisses them off.

Last edited:

Solid Bra

It really makes you wonder though. For a game that's gotten so much backlash, how does it get such a high Metacritic score?
Backlash from whom? From the people that most likely didn't play the game? Or from the haters who spread spoilers and try to force people to hate the game ? and bunch of haters planing on discord or reddit to just to downvote the game in metacritc? Internet filled with sick people who disrespect the hard work of this game the time they put on the game, and that will not change the fact that the game got 95 - 96 metacritc.

Top Bottom