• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II sells more than 4 million copies

mejin

We’re delighted to report that The Last of Us Part II is now the fastest-selling PS4 exclusive ever with more than 4 million copies sold through as of June 21. This milestone would not have been reached without the support from our amazing fans, so on behalf of everyone at SIE, thank you! The Last of Us Part II represents large scale innovation in gaming with a great blend of excellent gameplay mechanics and masterful storytelling. All of this came together to deliver a generation defining experience and the fastest-selling PS4 exclusive.

We strive to bring you unique, engaging experiences and while we look towards the next generation, there are still a ton of great games coming to PS4. That includes two fantastic PS4 exclusives in the very near term: Marvel’s Iron Man VR on July 3, and Ghost of Tsushima soon after on July 17.

50044848246_1ad0306cf9_k.jpg

goes to show the average customer does not give a single fuck about "controversy"
But weirdly enough, I can still get the Special Edition everywhere which is usually not the case for a game like this. FF7R's Special Edition for example is still hard to come by unless you want to pay scalper prices.

Anyway, it was to be expected that it'll sell well. The question is if it can sell as many copies as TLOU and/or if this game will end up hurting ND in the long run with their next game because people might not like what they bought into. Like the same thing that happened with Star Wars. Force Awakens $2b, The Last Jedi $1.4b, Return of Skywalker $1b with the train wreck that is Solo that came out after TLJ and only made $400m.

JimiNutz

Banned
I enjoyed the game and am pleased to see if doing well. That being said, isn't it expected that the early sales would be great?
The first game sold incredibly well and PS4 has a larger install base than PS3.

We'll know whether the 'controversy' has had an impact on sales in 6-12 months, not now, as the game was always likely to sell well at first. Will it have legs?

Previous sell-through records:
  • God of War - 3.1M in 3 days
  • Spider-man - 3.3M in 3 days

Some additional infos gathered :
  • Best Sony launch ever in UK (physical)
  • Best Sony launch ever in Spain / Russia / Czech Republic / Slovakia
  • Biggest launch ever in Russia for a game released on PlayStation platforms (beating GTA V, previous record holder)
  • Biggest launch of 2020 in Germany
  • Most preordered Sony game ever in Brazil
  • TLOU Part II was more preordered in Europe at the same point than Spider-Man

The Shepard

This is mostly to do with how awesome the first one was, I brought it on that alone and ignored all the negativity and especially the leaks. I like to view games on my own terms and whilst it was not as good as the first and had a big dip in the middle it certainly wasn't a zero out of ten.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The Last of Us Part 2 > 4.0 M
Spider-man > 3.3 M
God of War > 3.1 M
Uncharted 4 > 2.7 M

PS4 FF7R: 3.5M (shipped).
Well, PS4 install base also went up over the years so it doesn't come as a surprise that games released later sell more copies.

Will be interesting to see how this game fares long term.

El Sueño

Previous sell-through records:
  • God of War - 3.1M in 3 days
  • Spider-man - 3.3M in 3 days

• Biggest launch ever in Russia for a game released on PlayStation platforms (beating GTA V, previous record holder)
Here in Chile it was crazy too. I don't have the numbers but basically everyone I know has it and on social networks it is very present too.

Last edited:
Anyway, it was to be expected that it'll sell well. The question is if it can sell as many copies as TLOU and/or if this game will end up hurting ND in the long run with their next game because people might not like what they bought into. Like the same thing that happened with Star Wars. Force Awakens $2b, The Last Jedi $1.4b, Return of Skywalker $1b with the train wreck that is Solo that came out after TLJ and only made $400m.
the problem with that analogy is that the star-wars movies had serious flaws as movies, and their audience was starved for years and years. The Last of Us 2 is such an amazing game on so many levels (I'm 10 hours in and so far it's flawless).

Some of these places are not known as "gay friendly" havens either.

Top Bottom