• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

quickwhips

Epic MS paint skills -

2FJJutI.jpg

Lmao, so bad.

Time to quit your job and do this for a living I believe. Ok give us video.

velociraptor

It makes sense why Naughty Dog haven't shown us footage. It looks like the same game except in 1080p60. I'm not complaining; TLOU looks pretty dang nice and I'm sure the IQ improvement will make the graphics pop out a bit more. I guess I was right - this 'Remastered' edition wasn't really going to get any major graphical improvements.

YoshiEx

Neo Member
As an Xbox360 convert to PS4, I'm really excited about this game and I preordered it day 1 from Sony direct. I was really worried I would miss this game, as a long-time (and I mean since early 80s) fan of horror films, especially post-apocalyptic fiction, I'm hoping this lives up to the hype.

It makes sense why Naughty Dog haven't shown us footage. It looks like the same game except in 1080p60. I'm not complaining; TLOU looks pretty dang nice and I'm sure the IQ improvement will make the graphics pop out a bit more. I guess I was right - this 'Remastered' edition wasn't really going to get any major graphical improvements.

They haven't shown the game because they were improving the visuals on a daily basis.

Vashetti

Banned
This seems like a suitable time to further inform people about 4:4:4 Chroma setup of your TV.

Here's how good TLoU PS3 can look:

Yup, I never understood people who say TLOU has bad IQ/lots of jaggies. Looks clean on my TV. Obviously there are jaggies but it's not a mess like many people say.

Calibrating your TV goes a long way.

Biker19

Banned
Are they sure about the 30 vs 60fps issue? Because that can be the dealbreaker.

No mention of the cross buy DLC though. It makes more sense to me that something got lost in translation regarding cross buy DLC considering everything else listed there and the similarities to the release date announcement post than to believe that cross platform 30fps vs 60fps mp is happening.

These examples are something that could force people that own the PS3 version of the game to ditch it & to buy a PS4 for the remastered version.

viveks86

..or a year old. Those are all what they released before the PS3 launch

That's what I'm thinking as well. Those screens look great, but I see no difference from the shots that were released for the PS3 version. I find it difficult to believe that resolution is the only difference.

I don't know if some of these points are correct or not so feel free to correct me, or add anything that i might have missed. I upscaled the 720p ps3 image to 1080p in photoshop for better comparison.
iyO1gVDO61Aut.png

in1CnuYXneNoA.png

GavinUK86

Nice comparisons! Thought the pictures earlier were for PS3, but seemingly not after seeing these. Found these pictures before

Not sure if that's real or not but if you look closely there's more lighting and reflections on the "PS4" shots behind Ellie. Maybe they swing in and out of that scene, or that is indeed, a PS4 shot.

Seems they have purposefully used a low res shot of the PS3 version, but still, if you don't expand the pics, they look great.

Hopefully ND releases a comparison video because there are plenty of differences in the ps4 version apart from the boosted resolution and framerate.

LAA

Seems they have purposefully used a low res shot of the PS3 version, but still, if you don't expand the pics, they look great.

Not too keen checking out those things, ha ha, noticed it did seem blurrier than I remembered. Really want to see some footage of PS4 gameplay to give me an idea.

goonergaz

The should've used a direct screenshot like i did here

ibgctfXnhyaG9C.png

Hopefully ND releases a comparison video because there are plenty of differences in the ps4 version apart from the boosted resolution and framerate.

but isn't this also video rather than gameplay (where the big difference will be)?

-griffy-

Banned
but isn't this also video rather than gameplay (where the big difference will be)?

Well you can make an inference based on what Naughty Dog has said about the PS4 version. The models used during cutscenes will be identical to the models used during gameplay on PS4, whereas the PS3 used higher fidelity models during pre-rendered cutscenes and lower during real-time gameplay. Theoretically, the Ellie model we see here for PS4 should be representative of what we see in gameplay, so the fact it already has improvements over the PS3 cutscene model should mean it will be a dramatic improvement over PS3 gameplay models.

goonergaz

Well you can make an inference based on what Naughty Dog has said about the PS4 version. The models used during cutscenes will be identical to the models used during gameplay on PS4, whereas the PS3 used higher fidelity models during pre-rendered cutscenes and lower during real-time gameplay. Theoretically, the Ellie model we see here for PS4 should be representative of what we see in gameplay, so the fact it already has improvements over the PS3 cutscene model should mean it will be a dramatic improvement over PS3 gameplay models.

I could have sworn they said the PS4 gameplay will have the PS3 cut-scene level of detail...

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed the eye lashes!

I can see improvement but all I care about is Frame Rate! That was my biggest gripe with The Last of Us.

goonergaz

I'm genuinely surprised by all these 'can't see the difference' comments...the differences are bigger than the biggest PS4 to XBO gap so I assume you don't see those differences either!?

Hubb

Neither do I. Same with framerate.

Just sayin I can't tell any noticeable difference.

I feel the frame rate more than I see it. Generally why I care more about a constant frame rate oppose to 60fps that drops here and there.

That being said, I do see a difference between the two pictures. Not a huge difference, but enough of one.

EDIT: I realize huge is a relative term here and that I mean it isn't a huge difference to me.

Top Bottom