• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

thebloo

Yea but non stop tweets like this? Anyway at least in the case of those 2 examples the hype was justified (although Uncharted 2 wasn't technically more impressive than Crysis on PC but i guess they meant consoles and the 360 primarily and they were right, Uncharted 2 blew away anything on consoles when it was presented), but such hype for a Remaster?

Feels like they are making a big deal out of it more than they should... Maybe it is THAT amazing and so much better than PS3's version in a way we never experienced but i doubt that.

Well, social media is much bigger now than it was in 2009, which may also be a factor in the increase in communication.

valkyre

Naughty Dog's latest tweets really sound somewhat "arrogant" and all that self praise comments are something the company didnt used to do. Its somewhat weird and I find especially the latest comment that "i would love to show the game but I dont , because it won't do it justice" completely ridiculous...

What does Naughty Dog mean by saying this? That from here forth we should never expect to see any kind of recorded gameplay from their titles, because, simply "it wont make them justice?"

I really dont get why someone would go on to comment something like that... if TLOU remastered cannot be properly shown, then what should we expect of uncharted 4? To never see any kind of recorded gameplay?

Naughty Dog knows there are ways to show your game and make it full justice... its simple... gamersyde. Kojima offered a 1080p 60 fps glorious demo presentation. It certainly made the game justice, so I dont like to hear BS like that from Naughty Dog....

And I am a huge fan of Naughty Dog, but all this twitter PR things they say lately, sound to me more like they are afraid to post recorded gameplay in order to avoid the eventual PS3 to PS4 comparisons. So they just started to massively promote the game / hype via twitter.

And yes I hope I am wrong because I worship these guys, but I dont like their stance towards TLOU R no show.

DieH@rd

Banned
This seems entirely disingenuous. "Remastered"? That assumes they are going back and working on their source material to enhance it, when in reality, with how relatively new the game is and with them knowing the PS4 was on its way, this is just more tweaking of the original code that was already better than what was on the PS3. The only reason it's not out and running flawless on a PC is because of the game being a Sony exclusive.

They knew it would sell bucketloads, so they decided to release it on the PS3 as well as the already planned PS4 (original) version. All the blurbs about "I can't believe how smooth it is at 60fps", "I can't go back to sub 60fps" and "I dream of 60fps" are ridiculous. People actually believe that shit? Like ND didn't know the difference between 120fps and sub 60fps until now?

Right...

tumblr_mc8cmbE1MC1rgb5tmo1_500.gif

StuBurns

Banned
But they're right, a video will not do it justice.

Comparing it to UC4 is absurd. A video of this would be intended to show the differences between versions, not just show the game, UC4 will be shown, because it's a new game.

valkyre

But they're right, a video will not do it justice.

Comparing it to UC4 is absurd. A video of this would be intended to show the differences between versions, not just show the game, UC4 will be shown, because it's a new game.

please explain why a gamersyde 1080p 60 fps recorded gameplay "wont do it justice"?

I honestly cant find reason why it wont. And if it doesnt, then why would any other game ever shown would be made justice by a recorded gameplay video?

It seriously doesnt make sense. To me, absurd is their "it wont do it justice" comment...

please explain why a gamersyde 1080p 60 fps recorded gameplay "wont do it justice"?

I honestly cant find reason why it wont. And if it doesnt, then why would any other game ever shown would be made justice by a recorded gameplay video?

It seriously doesnt make sense. To me, absurd is their "it wont do it justice" comment...

You want to know the truth?

They are crunching like crazy to get this thing out the door for release. The team they have allotted probably doesn't have the time to make a pretty video and it seems they are still making serious headway on creating a completely locked 60FPS and finding some way to fit everything onto a single disk (Something they alluded to would be the new bottleneck) and to release something on video could possibly show otherwise would be counter-productive.

They are pussy-footing around it, but with the current round of tweets I have zero doubt they are near locked with 60FPS.

valkyre

You want to know the truth?

They are crunching like crazy to get this thing out the door for release. The team they have allotted probably doesn't have the time to make a pretty video and it seems they are still making serious headway on creating a completely locked 60FPS, and to release something on video could possibly show otherwise would be counter-productive.

They are pussy-footing around it, but with the current round of tweets I have zero doubt they are near locked with 60FPS.

I wouldnt worry in terms of a locked 60 fps. They wouldnt be making all the tweet fuss if they hadnt reached the goal.

If time is the reason we dont get a video fine. No problem at all really. I just dont like BS statements like "I want to show the game but i wont because a recorded video doesnt make it justice"...

Naughty Dog... please...

Naughty Dog's latest tweets really sound somewhat "arrogant" and all that self praise comments are something the company didnt used to do.

Really? You don't remember Nate Wells tweeting about how TLoU had the best multiplayer ever? And that was before any multiplayer details had been released. He may have been overstating it, but if you read impressions from people it's quite clear that there's a lot of love for that mode. Other members of the studio would also tweet about just how proud they were to have worked on TLoU.

They're just really proud of their work. What's wrong with expressing that?

valkyre

Really? You don't remember Nate Wells tweeting about how TLoU had the best multiplayer ever? And that was before any multiplayer details had been released. He may have been overstating it, but if you read impressions from people it's quite clear that there's a lot of love for that mode. Other members of the studio would also tweet about just how proud they were to have worked on TLoU.

They're just really proud of their work. What's wrong with expressing that?

I honestly dont remember it. maybe because I was not so much interested in multiplayer back then and I didnt follow news about it closely.

Nothing wrong to be proud with your work. But they have I believe overdone it lately with all the tweet stuff to the point that it sounds more like PR.

And as I said, my main grip is "wont do it justice" statements.

Lemmy

Banned
This game will sell alot. It might just chart in the top spot again with strong numbers. Sony must be so happy with Naughty Dog. Every game in the past 7 years from them has been a critical and sales hit. Surely there has to be an internal strategy to replicate that ND success formula in other SCEWWS.

That would make sense in theory, but no other Sony studios have the talent nor name power to pull it off as far as I can tell.

ZServ

I wouldnt worry in terms of a locked 60 fps. They wouldnt be making all the tweet fuss if they hadnt reached the goal.

If time is the reason we dont get a video fine. No problem at all really. I just dont like BS statements like "I want to show the game but i wont because a recorded video doesnt make it justice"...

Naughty Dog... please...
I dunno. Every time I saw footage of last of us on YouTube it just looked okay at best. But in person it blew my mind. Same with infamous second son. Maybe it's that kind of situation.

farmerboy

Hmm, $50 for Destiny is, relatively speaking, a good deal, but online gaming doesn't really interest me much these days. Hopefully the TLoU bundle pops up at some point.

Bundle or no bundle I am getting a ps4 and TLOU at the end of this month, this game is the reason I needed to get in on this gen
though the white Destiny bundle nearly made me wait.

That would make sense in theory, but no other Sony studios have the talent nor name power to pull it off as far as I can tell.

Yea, you don't just replicate Naughty Dog. They are simply the best developer in the industry, and are filled with the best talent on nearly every single end of the spectrum. They even have an internal team that took part in the PS4 development IIRC, which is why they will probably blow everyone out of the water this generation with technical capability (Even more so than last generation).

I dunno. Every time I saw footage of last of us on YouTube it just looked okay at best. But in person it blew my mind. Same with infamous second son. Maybe it's that kind of situation.

Even with the 60FPS(Which isn't out yet), YouTube still compresses everything to Hell and back.

valkyre

Thats because youtube sucks. Look at MGSV demo on gamersyde... see it on your tv and its like you are playing the game. The quality is almost flawless. Certainly does the game all the justice (at least visually) it can be made.

I honestly dont remember it. maybe because I was not so much interested in multiplayer back then and I didnt follow news about it closely.

Then that's really more of your misperception of ND's past vs present, not theirs.

ND devs, whenever given the opportunity to, clearly loves to talk about their work and be proud of their achievements, sometimes even boastful. They're as silent as a bee in the early stages of their game, but come E3, come Gamescom, come close to release, they chatter a hell lot more before tightening up again once there's a lull moment in between.

valkyre

Then that's really more of your misperception of ND's past vs present, not theirs.

ND devs, whenever given the opportunity to, clearly loves to talk about their work and be proud of their achievements, sometimes even boastful. They're as silent as a bee in the early stages of their game, but come E3, come Gamescom, come close to release, they chatter a hell lot more before tightening up again once there's a lull moment in between.

Could very well be that way. I am not questioning what you said.

Then again, my main point to begin with, was a particular statement they made recently about TLOR no show.

Vaga

This seems entirely disingenuous. "Remastered"? That assumes they are going back and working on their source material to enhance it, when in reality, with how relatively new the game is and with them knowing the PS4 was on its way, this is just more tweaking of the original code that was already better than what was on the PS3. The only reason it's not out and running flawless on a PC is because of the game being a Sony exclusive.

They knew it would sell bucketloads, so they decided to release it on the PS3 as well as the already planned PS4 (original) version. All the blurbs about "I can't believe how smooth it is at 60fps", "I can't go back to sub 60fps" and "I dream of 60fps" are ridiculous. People actually believe that shit? Like ND didn't know the difference between 120fps and sub 60fps until now?

Right...

EnviousVictoriousGander.gif

Could very well be that way. I am not questioning what you said.

Then again, my main point to begin with, was a particular statement they made recently about TLOR no show.

They're obviously going to show it at some point before the release. I think that they have the luxury of not doing it right now because the quality of TLoU is well known. So they really aren't in a position where they're having to prove that it's a good game. That also allows them to focus on finishing the game instead of constantly stopping to do other things. I figure that they'll release some quality media once the game is completely done.

I'm not worried about the quality of it. Just the fact that ND decided to do the remaster instead of outsourcing it is enough to have confidence in it being amazing. It shows that they want it done in a very high quality way.

UrbanRats

Right...

iM22EyD0lHYp8.gif

yeah piling on, but i wanted to use this gif.

Most people here don't seem to realise that Naughty Dog are essentially two teams and the people from Naughty Dog expressing delight and acting like "I didn't know how good it would be" are probably involved in UC4 and get to see the TLOU port as an outsider

They are not self praising, they are praising the work of their colleagues from a different team

gai_shain

TLoU was bursting at the seams running on the PS3.
It's currently the most technically advanced and orchestrated singleplayer videogame experience on the planet.

A PS4 version running at 1080p @60hz with improved models, lighting, shadowing, textures and AA will shame the rest of the industry.

what?

casmith07

Right...

jvftjEP.gif

Right...

hahahahahaha

(this has to be a joke post, right?)

Sanctuary

What a nice way to port beg and state the obvious. It's an exclusive because Sony owns the studio.

Port beg? I don't care if it's ever released on another console. I only mentioned the PC because the game that's being released on the PS4 would have already run the same/better had the game been released on PC as well when it was originally released on the PS3.

And I don't give a shit if any of you think this is trolling, when it isn't. I never thought it was the best game ever released like many of you anyway. Once was enough for me. Some of you just lap up whatever a developer spoon feeds you because you want it so badly to be true.

Hoje0308

Banned

Right...

I expect to see this get a mention on NeoGAF's Worst Posts. Hopefully Shinobi retweets so even more people can enjoy the fail.

Shin-Ra

Right...
Naughty Dog's latest tweets really sound somewhat "arrogant" and all that self praise comments are something the company didnt used to do. Its somewhat weird and I find especially the latest comment that "i would love to show the game but I dont , because it won't do it justice" completely ridiculous...
Port beg? I don't care if it's ever released on another console. I only mentioned the PC because the game that's being released on the PS4 would have already run the same/better had the game been released on PC as well when it was originally released on the PS3.

And I don't give a shit if any of you think this is trolling, when it isn't. I never thought it was the best game ever released like many of you anyway. Once was enough for me. Some of you just lap up whatever a developer spoon feeds you because you want it so badly to be true.
0323_t4o78.gif

quickwhips

WTF happened to this thread in the last day. LOL. I don't care about footage I just want it released digital ASAP because July 29 is so far away. At least I have strider to keep me busy Soony.

Andrew.

Banned

Who hurt you?

Sanctuary

I expect to see this get a mention on NeoGAF's Worst Posts. Hopefully Shinobi retweets so even more people can enjoy the fail.

You seriously think that most current console games start out with lower resolutions and framerates and that the developers increase them as the project gets closer to completion? WTF? It's almost always the opposite.

Most people here don't seem to realise that Naughty Dog are essentially two teams and the people from Naughty Dog expressing delight and acting like "I didn't know how good it would be" are probably involved in UC4 and get to see the TLOU port as an outsider

They are not self praising, they are praising the work of their colleagues from a different team

I still think it's more of an issue of getting something so insanely optimized for Cell working on x86/AMD which is the heart of the issue here.

The "two teams"-notion was dispelled a while back in a gameinformer interview. It's more like two main projects + extras. The staff moves readily back and forth depending on what's going on in development.

"EW: I don't think we ever declared ourselves as having reached the final end goal of two teams. We certainly have not, and we might have even changed that goal. We have multiple projects going. We never were able to fully staff two completely independent teams. At this point, I don't think we'll probably get there. We've got the Uncharted project, which we've talked about, we've got DLC for The Last of Us, and we've got the remastered version [of The Last of Us]. We've got other projects in the works that are in the very early stages. We have at least four different pretty significant things going on right now.

CB: We're trying to be as flexible as possible in terms of how we move people around. I think we've always had two main things going on, so that's where the "two teams" [concept] came from. It's like everything else we do here; you've got to learn as you go and adjust. [We're] sharing some resources more than what we thought we would because it's more practical and makes sense. That's where we're at now - learning.

EW: Sometimes, that sharing looks like somebody working on a project for six or twelve months and then switching to another project. Sometimes a department is actively working on two projects at once and is bouncing back and forth on a weekly or task-by-task basis. We figure it out as we go. That's how our production philosophies work at Naughty Dog. We try not to be dogmatic. If it's not working out the way we thought it would, we shift and try something else."

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You seriously think that most current console games start out with lower resolutions and framerates and that the developers increase them as the project gets closer to completion? WTF? It's almost always the opposite.
Framerate is never finalized until very late in development. Resolution is generally locked earlier than that but both can and do improve throughout development.

Hoje0308

Banned

If you really think that's the point of contention, then I'll just leave you to continue babbling on about 120 fps. Have a good one, Krazy Ken.

Right...

You just out-Wynnebeck'd Wynnebeck.

it was sarcasm right?

Ramrock

Banned

What does Naughty Dog mean by saying this? That from here forth we should never expect to see any kind of recorded gameplay from their titles, because, simply "it wont make them justice?"

I really dont get why someone would go on to comment something like that... if TLOU remastered cannot be properly shown, then what should we expect of uncharted 4? To never see any kind of recorded gameplay?

Naughty Dog knows there are ways to show your game and make it full justice... its simple... gamersyde. Kojima offered a 1080p 60 fps glorious demo presentation. It certainly made the game justice, so I dont like to hear BS like that from Naughty Dog....

And I am a huge fan of Naughty Dog, but all this twitter PR things they say lately, sound to me more like they are afraid to post recorded gameplay in order to avoid the eventual PS3 to PS4 comparisons. So they just started to massively promote the game / hype via twitter.

And yes I hope I am wrong because I worship these guys, but I dont like their stance towards TLOU R no show.
lol I love funny posts lime this. Dat arrogant Sony/ND!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Who hurt you?

Yes, tell us where the Naughty Dog touched you. It's ok Sanctuary, this is a safe place.

Top Bottom