• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

Gavin996

Unconfirmed Member
Might be bit of a cop out, but I have to answer the whole package. Everything fits together so well and the game has incredible polish across the board. Story is one the best written, directed, animated, voice acted, and paced in the history of the medium and the gameplay reinforces that with its relentless brutality and oppressive atmosphere.

Least excited? I'd say hand to hand combat. There's not much there gameplay-wise. Mainly mashing square. I kind of get that though because they were going for a desperate brawl feel. Joel's no martial arts expert.
I haven't been this excited for a game in a while, never got a PS3 but when this came out I was sooo close to getting one.

Still undecided if I should buy this or not. Played some today and after about 30 minutes got bored, so I jumped online and after a few matches, same thing, got bored. It's not a boring game at all but I've played it to death, got platinum etc.

Is $60 worth it for the DLC alone? Story and mainly the map packs? Because I haven't bought any DLC for it yet and there's no way i'll be able to not platinum this game on PS4 so if I do buy it, I'm hoping that there are enough new great maps.

It begins:

That's a very interesting choice of words there.

If there's one thing that we've learned from previews it's not to trust famerate info. People have been burned a number of times by not doing that. It's better to just wait for DF to do their usual analysis.

I think it'll be fine if it's locked (obviously) or like the 360 CoD's. Those games usually run close to 60fps but can dip into the 55fps range, which isn't something that you're really going to notice unless you're unbelievably sensitive to any framerate fluctuations. The framerate that people tend to have an issue with is the one where the framerate will go from 60 to somewhere in the 30's and then back up to 60.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Pre-Order Skins

tlou_joel10k0l.png

tlou_ellie2jjkr.png

especially given the fact they didn't boast about a 60 FPS lock.
ND has said several times over now that the framerate is "solid" and "constant" and "no dips" and that the 30fps lock has absolutely nothing to do with performance reasons and it purely a matter of player preference. The expectation, set up by ND themselves, and doubled down upon, and then tripled down upon and more is for a locked framerate.

And I still trust their words over that vague and awkward description there by IGN.

ND has said several times over now that the framerate is "solid" and "constant" and "no dips" and that the 30fps lock has absolutely nothing to do with performance reasons and it purely a matter of player preference. The expectation, set up by ND themselves, and doubled down upon, and then tripled down upon and more is for a locked framerate.

And I still trust their words over that vague and awkward description there by IGN.

i am not buying it yet

Gbraga

Even though I was originally prepared to abandon ship I'm just going to keep on trekking.

Maybe we can talk about the game a little?

As a person who has never played this game before, what about this game should I be most excited about? A feature, a plot point, the ending, what do you think?

And what should I be least excited for?

Don't spoil plot points, though.

Hm, I hate giving the cliche answer, but I'll have to second the "whole package" comment. Not in a "everything is perfect best game ever omg" way, but the whole game comes together as one single thing, and it's beautiful. Narrative, gameplay and sound design all match together and complement each other to perfectly create that setting.

The ending in particular really is fantastic, but don't expect a lot of plot points that will blow your mind, the plot is your standard zombie apocalypse thing, but, if you ask me, that's what it should be. The best post apocalyptic tales are about the human relations in such a harsh environment, and questioning nature vs nurture, and not really about the conflicts and the apocalypse cause itself (be it a virus or whatever). The brutality of the world is reproduced by the close, personal and brutal gameplay, you feel the situation they're in by playing, you don't have to just be told and accept it.

Maybe you've heard about what, from your perspective, may sound like a major nitpick, which is the ally AI going nuts and running wild without being detected. It's a correct design decision (it would be very frustrating from a gameplay point of view if you got a game over when that happens), but it's just that the whole game feels so cohesive, so immersive that even something that may sound minor can really take you out of the experience for a while.

It's a game with very good gameplay, well crafted encounters, good level design and resource management that offers a considerably high replay value, at the same time that it's also a very immersive narrative experience with a lot of character development and just great writing all around.

It's rare for me to praise a game so much, let alone a AAA game these days, but The Last of Us is not only my 2013 game of the year, but also one of my favorite games ever. And I don't mean that like "top 25 favorite games", but easily top 5 material.

What you should be least excited for... If we were talking about the PS3 version, I'd say definitely the IQ and framerate, but now I guess it depends on what exactly you expect out of it. Even though I do think it's that good, there is hyperbole going around, it's inevitable, so by reading about it so much without playing it yourself, maybe you expect even more than people who were hyped and played it day one did.

Keep in mind that most of the people saying these things are programmers and gameplay designers, team members most invested in the effect of framerate on gameplay.

these people have a product to sell and hype. I have the game pre-ordered and it will suck if it ends up having frame rate problems.

It begins:

That's a very interesting choice of words there.

Here's another:

Toss in the fact it runs natively at 1080p, loads directly off the hard drive, targets 60 frames per second -- versus it’s predecessor’s 30fps -- and features a draw distance on par with sprawling open-world games, and you’re looking (quite literally) at much more than a phoned-in spit and polish job.

I know this is a common thing to say but its like it is ripped right from the title of this thread.

xion4360

Here's another:
I know this is a common thing to say but its like it is ripped right from the title of this thread.

it all depends on whether they hit the target framerate or not.. when that quote was produced is relevant. All of the responses to questions about framerate recently indicate that it is a stable 60 fps. In any way, a few drops here and there would hardly kill the experience..so I dont understand why anyone cares so damn much.

Yeah I think it's about time to bomb this thread off the earth then burn whatever is left of it.

yeah the amount of nonsense in here recently is crazy. Were it not a TLOU thread mods might have locked it long ago.

it all depends on whether they hit the target framerate or not.. when that quote was produced is relevant. All fo the responses to questions about framerate recently indicate that it is a stable 60 fps. In any way, a few drops here and there would hardly kill the experience..so I dont understand why anyone cares so damn much.

Well this is from today's IGN preview that snake posted on the previous page. I personally don't care too much. I am not someone who notices framerate fluctuations unless they are really dramatic. I am pretty sure the ps3 version dipped quite a bit below 30 at points and I still loved it
GOTG
so I am not personally invested in this argument.

That said I would really love for it to hit the 60 mark because I don't think I have ever played a game this beautiful with that kind of framerate.

Gbraga

so I dont understand why anyone cares so damn much.

I do, since 60fps is very important to me as well, but thinking about it, rock solid 30fps is vastly superior to what we got on PS3, so if you play it and the framerate bothers you, lock it and you're good to go.

I understand people being concerned, I understand people wanting to know, but I'm not sure I can agree with the "only buying if it's locked 60" angle. I'd get it if they promised that from the moment they announced the Remaster, since then it becomes more about keeping your promises than the framerate itself, but not only they were very transparent about it throughout, they also didn't use "locked 60" at any time, not even in their personal twitters that by no means can be tied as official marketing from Sony.

I'm expecting something like 55(50 maybe?)~60 during regular play, and some situational dips at moments like the Bloater framerate bomb. I wouldn't expect the framerate to be good there at all, but it's just a specific moment, hardly enough reason to call it "a 40fps game" (or whatever it drops to).

xion4360

dont they already have those skins in the game? or at least very similar ones.. I swear Ellie has that same shirt in green.

Hubb

Just a plain t-shirt for Joel?

THIS is the reason to pre-order.

:( I actually don't like either of those 2 shirts. I also kind of wish if you had PS3 save data you could carry over your unlocks. I'd like to be able to pick the shirts on my first play through.

GavinUK86

IGN Preview
targets 60 frames per second -- versus it’s predecessor’s 30fps

While Remastered’s cinema-rivaling cutscenes always run at 60fps, the in-game action more modestly aims for this same target. Those who’d rather not hover in the high-end range during gameplay, however, can lock the action in at a consistent 30fps.

They don't sound so certain about the 'solid' 60fps. Time will tell of course, but still worth noting.

Edit: Okay, after going back a page or so I noticed people have already mentioned this. My bad!

Gray Matter

And I am very very very ok with that. Horde mode, new games types, new maps. All good for me.

Same here. Their reasons for not including one was that it was not possible due to the hardware.

Well, now there are no obstacles.

and truthfully I'm not expecting them to make one, wouldn't be fair to the PS3 audience.

LegendX48

Lol, there's just no pleasing/convincing some people.

Of course not. The fact that the 30fps lock option exists has done quite a bit of harm to whether or not the game does in fact maintain a solid and locked 60. It's done nothing but cast doubt and ND doing damage control isn't helping. The only way these people are gonna be convinced is when either A) Digital Foundry gets their hands on it or B) They see it first hand playing back on their console on their TV OR C) You know, gameplay vids during the more hectic moments showing off a rock solid framerate.

Either way, the 29th couldn't be any further away @_@

Top Bottom