• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

Gbraga

I really wouldn't worry about it everyone. Here's the thing. if we say it's absolutely 60 and and someone goes somewhere and spins the camera constantly and creates explosions and water splashes while looking at epic giraffics and it dips to 59.9 and someone can tell, someone will want to sue papa sony for not being truthful in their ad/marketing materials or something. we just gotta be cautious. i don't think anyone where is going to be displeased by the performance - except dark10x maybe. but that's dark10x and we included that 30fps mode for those 2 out of 8 times he prefers 30fps.

while this question came up a lot today because that's their job, I didn't see anyone doubt we've got a solid looking and frame rate-ing game.

That actually makes it sound even better than I expected.

Are you seriously suggesting that having your partner leaping around a room full of enemies and remaining invisible to them was a correct design decision?

Yes, definitely.

See, the partner running around wasn't a design decision, of course, but since the AI does this, making them invisible to the enemies was the correct thing to do, yes.

Delt31

We have a guy from ND in this very thread telling us not to worry about it, vs IGN acting like there's a significant difference between cutscene framerate and in-game framerate.

I'm not expecting the game to be 60fps 100% of the time, that would be an unrealistic expectation, but I'm more inclined to agree with Arne when he says "don't worry about it", over IGN.

But that's just me....

sorry but I trust (somewhat) of an independent source than the ACTUAL DEV of the game. C'mon guys - I know gaf hypes shit but let's not lose our minds and try to ignore what's going on here. If you're not expecting a PS3 game to be rock solid 60fps on NEXT GEN than you're expectations are too low. If this game is not rock solid 60fps, it will be a disappointment simple as that. Not an opinion just a fact. Next gen people we expect better. I REALLY hope IGN is wrong.

rvy

Banned
sorry but I trust (somewhat) of an independent source than the ACTUAL DEV of the game. C'mon guys - I know gaf hypes shit but let's not lose our minds and try to ignore what's going on here. If you're not expecting a PS3 game to be rock solid 60fps on NEXT GEN than you're expectations are too low. If this game is not rock solid 60fps, it will be a disappointment simple as that. Not an opinion just a fact. Next gen people we expect better. I REALLY hope IGN is wrong.

I have a hard time taking anything IGN says seriously when they thought 720p Ghosts was running at 1080p.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
How about don't trust IGN because of their ineptitude when it comes to technical stuff, don't trust Naughty Dog because of their obvious self-interest and just wait until an actual independent third party with expertise analyzes the game.

I can't believe this needs to be said. If these technical issues are of such great importance then this had to have been the modus operandi for years anyway.

orochi91

How about don't trust IGN because of their ineptitude when it comes to technical stuff, don't trust Naughty Dog because of their obvious self-interest and just wait until an actual independent third party with expertise analyzes the game.

I can't believe this needs to be said. If these technical issues are of such great importance then this had to have been the modus operandi for years anyway.

How long does it usually take for DF to put up their analysis of a game following the day of release?

jIuY1PxtdzpqL.jpg

I hope nobody minds me squeezing in toward the top!

Jigolo

Sorry to disappoint you but the game probably isn't locked at 60 fps. But the good news is no one is forcing you to buy it. Wolfenstein is locked 60 though if you're looking for games to play that are rock solid.

jkh33

I really wouldn't worry about it everyone. Here's the thing. if we say it's absolutely 60 and and someone goes somewhere and spins the camera constantly and creates explosions and water splashes while looking at epic giraffics and it dips to 59.9 and someone can tell, someone will want to sue papa sony for not being truthful in their ad/marketing materials or something. we just gotta be cautious. i don't think anyone where is going to be displeased by the performance - except dark10x maybe. but that's dark10x and we included that 30fps mode for those 2 out of 8 times he prefers 30fps.

while this question came up a lot today because that's their job, I didn't see anyone doubt we've got a solid looking and frame rate-ing game.

LOL!

Delt31

Sorry to disappoint you but the game probably isn't locked at 60 fps. But the good news is no one is forcing you to buy it. Wolfenstein is locked 60 though if you're looking for games to play that are rock solid.

seems that way and thanks for reminding me I don't need to buy it but I feel bad for the suckers who ND will get b/c they've been hyping 60 throughout so yes I am disappointed. I did buy wolfenstein.......and although good, way over hyped imo BUT rock solid 60fps (on pc at least).

I have no issue with 30 vs 60 in games but if you're going to sell a remaster of a game that came out on last gen system, hype it's 60 and not deliver, how anyone is not disappointed is beyond me. Good thing is this game will be down to 40 within a month, 30 by october and 25 bucks black friday so I'm holding out.

prwxv3

seems that way and thanks for reminding me I don't need to buy it but I fell bad for the suckers who ND will get b/c they've been hyping 60 throughout so yes I am disappointed. I did buy wolfenstein.......and although good, way over hyped imo BUT rock solid 60fps (on pc at least).

I have no issue with 30 vs 60 in games but if you're going to sell a remaster of a game that came out on last gen system, hype it's 60 and not deliver, how anyone is not disappointed is beyond me. Good thing is this game will be down to 40 within a month, 30 by october and 25 bucks black friday so I'm holding out.
Just because its not locked does not mean it wont be a solid 60 fps game. Bayonetta 360 was not locked but was solid and is considered as a 60 fps game.

TheCloser

Banned
Honestly, I don't know why everyone is making a ruckus about the framerate. Seriously, the game is $49.99 so we should expect the game to average ~50 frames/sec. Common guys, use your God given sense. We all know the new rate is $1/frame, sheesh.

GavinUK86

Well, something very weird just happened to me on twitter.

I was having a pretty long conversation with Corinne Yu about the game and she said a few things about the framerate not being locked but is close to 60 most of the time and she mentioned that if it wasn't there would be, and I quote, 'internet nerd rage' which is true. She went on to talk about the preview articles and how none of them are mentioning the framerate in any detail and I just went to re-read what I said, I wasn't sure if I was coming across politely or not, and she's deleted everything. All I got is the tweets from my end of the conversation. That's... kinda, weird.

Does anyone know of a way to get the old tweets? Like, is it cached somewhere maybe?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

You guys could have put out footage--literally any footage-- and cut off a lot of this stuff, you know. There's still time.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
IGN is filled with people who argue that 1080p can't be seen on screens under 50 inches and were convinced that color blind mode on the PS4 version of Ghosts, before it was patched to 1080p, was the difference between 720 and 1080. They're worthless when it comes to tech issues. I don't expect the game to be 100% free of drops but they will probably be few, small, and brief.

iNvid02

Well, something very weird just happened to me on twitter.

I was having a pretty long conversation with Corinne Yu about the game and she said a few things about the framerate not being locked but is close to 60 most of the time and she mentioned that if it wasn't there would be, and I quote, 'internet nerd rage' which is true. She went on to talk about the preview articles and how none of them are mentioning the framerate in any detail and I just went to re-read what I said, I wasn't sure if I was coming across politely or not, and she's deleted everything. All I got is the tweets from my end of the conversation. That's... kinda, weird.

Does anyone know of a way to get the old tweets? Like, is it cached somewhere maybe?
KvQbN8y.gif

Delt31

Honestly, I don't know why everyone is making a ruckus about the framerate. Seriously, the game is $49.99 so we should expect the game to average ~50 frames/sec. Common guys, use your God given sense. We all know the new rate is $1/frame, sheesh.

sorry but response like this allow BS to happen by devs.

I'm going to back off though on this whole thing b/c I haven't played this game yet and I'll reserve my opinion before then b/c IGN has the worst track record and ND is a great dev. I just hope ND delivers (meaning during gameplay it's constant 60 no ifs or buts). If someone told you PS4 could;t handle a HD PS3 game at 60fps, tell me these forums wouldn't explode. That's all. Leave it at that until I can play this thing myself or hear otherwise but these forums.

Delt31

IGN is filled with people who argue that 1080p can't be seen on screens under 50 inches and were convinced that color blind mode on the PS4 version of Ghosts, before it was patched to 1080p, was the difference between 720 and 1080. They're worthless when it comes to tech issues. I don't expect the game to be 100% free of drops but they will probably be few, small, and brief.

that's a good point. People who say they can't tell the diff drive me insane.

seems that way and thanks for reminding me I don't need to buy it but I feel bad for the suckers who ND will get b/c they've been hyping 60 throughout so yes I am disappointed. I did buy wolfenstein.......and although good, way over hyped imo BUT rock solid 60fps (on pc at least).

Consoles games hardly ever have a locked frame rate and please don't compare them to PC.
Also wolfenstein is 60fps but drops it res to keep that way all the time.
TLOUR should be 60fps but to expect it to locked even when ND did not say so makes no sense.

sorry but response like this allow BS to happen by devs.

I'm going to back off though on this whole thing b/c I haven't played this game yet and I'll reserve my opinion before then b/c IGN has the worst track record and ND is a great dev. I just hope ND delivers (meaning during gameplay it's constant 60 no ifs or buts). If someone told you PS4 could;t handle a HD PS3 game at 60fps, tell me these forums wouldn't explode. That's all. Leave it at that until I can play this thing myself or hear otherwise but these forums.

PS4 more powerful than PS3 but it's still a port of a exclusive .

Flandy

Hahaha! Oh, man. I'm so excited for the OT. This thread somehow managed to surpass the most recent MGS5 thread, in terms of "crazy." Great times ahead!

Were you around for the pre release hype for TLoU last year? I wasn't a member at the time but I was still lurking the thread. I just remember everyone in the Review thread being terrified of being spoiled due to the supposed script leak and all the stores breaking street date. Everyone was going crazy waiting for the OT as well. Was a hell of a ride

What is the point?

This isn't real. They created this segment of "gameplay" just to shut us up. They're only looking to please the purists. Naughty Gods, my ass.

Were you around for the pre release hype for TLoU last year? I wasn't a member at the time but I was still lurking the thread. I just remember everyone in the Review thread being terrified of being spoiled due to the supposed script leak and all the stores breaking street date. Everyone was going crazy waiting for the OT as well. Was a hell of a ride

Oh, yeah!! My account had just been approved around the time the original was released. I remember people freaking out about spoilers; wonder how many are in that same boat (newcomers and the like) this time around?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Well, as the remastering of the game in 1080p at 60fps are the primary features that distinguish this version, why not?
Oh I can understand "Why not?". If the point is why not do something. There are lots of things that are "why not" territory. "Why?" is a different question.

Flandy

Oh, yeah!! My account had just been approved around the time the original was released. I remember people freaking out about spoilers; wonder how many are in that same boat (newcomers and the like) this time around?
Tempted to go back to that thread and just read it :lol Don't have a PS4 so I'm not really hyped for the Remaster. Will eventually pick it up when I get a PS4.

We have a guy from ND in this very thread telling us not to worry about it, vs IGN acting like there's a significant difference between cutscene framerate and in-game framerate.

I'm not expecting the game to be 60fps 100% of the time, that would be an unrealistic expectation, but I'm more inclined to agree with Arne when he says "don't worry about it", over IGN.

But that's just me....

Let me get this straight. You are saying to listen to a marketing manager over the opinion of an objective journalist ?

Regardless of the outcome, to be determined by digital foundry analysis on release, I would love to know the logic of listening to a company's pr mouthpiece ahead of a journalist.

Will find some shares in Golden Gate Bridge to sell you also.

Top Bottom