• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

Let me get this straight. You are saying to listen to a marketing manager over the opinion of an objective journalist ?

Regardless of the outcome, to be determined by digital foundry analysis on release, I would love to know the logic of listening to a company's pr mouthpiece ahead of a journalist.

Will find some shares in Golden Gate Bridge to sell you also.

Those objective journalist have no idea about tech , could not tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.
Say you can't see it unless you have 50 inch tv , have no idea about frame rate etc etc.
I willing to believe certain journalist but will take arne word over IGN any day when it comes to tech .

milkham

haha wow how long did that take

Let me get this straight. You are saying to listen to a marketing manager over the opinion of an objective journalist ?

Regardless of the outcome, to be determined by digital foundry analysis on release, I would love to know the logic of listening to a company's pr mouthpiece ahead of a journalist.

its IGN dude

Carn82

wow. :D

conan.gif

Anung

Un Rama
For the last 20 pages or so this thread has been an absolute goldmine.

Feels great to be apart of something this special (and hilarious)

Let me get this straight. Are you saying we all should believe a website that said the last guardian was cancelled ?

Shin-Ra

Just a plain t-shirt for Joel?

THIS is the reason to pre-order.
Maybe there's something rude on the back.

Matt Cabral said:
Sporting twice as many shadows and four times the texture mapping than the title that spawned it, Remastered is noticeably easier on the eyes. Toss in the fact it runs natively at 1080p, loads directly off the hard drive, targets 60 frames per second -- versus it’s predecessor’s 30fps -- and features a draw distance on par with sprawling open-world games, and you’re looking (quite literally) at much more than a phoned-in spit and polish job.
I'm siding with the community manager.

shem935

Banned
Could you get any more vague with a comment than that Ign framerate one? Holy crap. Might as well not even put in the info if all you are going to do is say "Oh yeah the framerate is 60 but sometimes it's not". Why bother at that point?

Could you get any more vague with a comment than that Ign framerate one? Holy crap. Might as well not even put in the info if all you are going to do is say "Oh yeah the framerate is 60 but sometimes it's not". Why bother at that point?

To be fair, and I believe this goes well in line with ND's lack of official comment, it is to the point that if you announce a number and there is a slight variation, the interwebs will rage.

If I were a games journalist, I would never mention anything about framerate or resolution unless there were severe hangups at times. Why set myself up for failure when a capture card, your computer, or even the source that provided you the demo/video/etc. could be slightly off.

But then, I also flock to DF threads because I love their analysis. I just consider them a separate, yet exciting form of gaming information.

Let me get this straight. Are you saying we all should believe a website that said the last guardian was cancelled ?

Application of critical thinking would determine an individual whose employment requires promotion of his companies products is less trustworthy than an employee whose position requires objective balanced reporting.

Application of critical thinking would determine an individual whose employment requires promotion of his companies products is less trustworthy than an employee whose position requires objective balanced reporting.

Still the person\people that reporting have no idea what they talking about when it comes to the topic going by there past history .

shem935

Banned
To be fair, and I believe this goes well in line with ND's lack of official comment, it is to the point that if you announce a number and there is a slight variation, the interwebs will rage.

If I were a games journalist, I would never mention anything about framerate or resolution unless there were severe hangups at times. Why set myself up for failure when a capture card, your computer, or even the source that provided you the demo/video/etc. could be slightly off.

But then, I also flock to DF threads because I love their analysis. I just consider them a separate, yet exciting form of gaming information.

But the problem is that he did mention it and not that it was consistent drops, or hangups, or whatever. He literally said "While Remastered’s cinema-rivaling cutscenes always run at 60fps, the in-game action more modestly aims for this same target." That is all he is saying on the matter. What does it mean? He gives no context or examples. But maybe I'm expecting too much competency.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't know if you've heard but IGN's editor positions do not require objective balanced reporting.

HORRORSHØW

you keep referring to IGN as "objective journalists," but if you've read some of their articles, you'd know they're anything but. also, it's hard to take an "objective journalist" seriously when they fail at elementary grammar. here's a freebie, IGN--it's its.

i should add that it's your prerogative to dismiss arne's comment because it is his job to pacify the fans; however, to use IGN as a diametric opposition is asinine.

Anung

Un Rama
Grimløck;121681561 said:
you keep referring to IGN as "objective journalists," but if you've read some of their articles, you'd know they're anything but. also, it's hard to take an "objective journalist" seriously when they fail at elementary grammar. here's a freebie, IGN--it's its.

I think they've had plenty of those already.

I went there.

orochi91

I dunno, IGN cannot be trusted when it comes to technical details of a game. They're staff
have proven to be quite incompetent in that regard.

stryke

Maybe ND should have just said framerate is king. Internet seemed to got over piss ass performance in TF pretty quickly because "fun".

But the problem is that he did mention it and not that it was consistent drops, or hangups, or whatever. He literally said "While Remastered’s cinema-rivaling cutscenes always run at 60fps, the in-game action more modestly aims for this same target." That is all he is saying on the matter. What does it mean? He gives no context or examples. But maybe I'm expecting too much competency.

I get you. I guess to me I just infer that means ~60 but you can notice some slight variations at times. This pretty much coincides with ND's responses of it being fine and there is nothing to worry about.

No one can really come out and say "It's 60fps most of the time, but in a few interior areas you will drop to 55 because of the particle effects when you throw three molotovs and a clicker is within three feet." For ND it would just turn into an online console war, and honestly even a small amount of negative press could lower the amount of purchases. Being a remake of such a recent game (no matter how awesome) is a risk even without this. I can see this journalist not being able to say it, because he actually had no proof of any numbers. You can see a slight variation when it occurs. Without monitoring it with software, all you could do is take a stab at it.

I'm inferring a lot, I know. But with Neil's "Solidly" comment he is too smart of a guy to play into this if he couldn't back it up. All that being said, my opinion is that he included that comment in there as click-bait material. Unless the game ends up 100% 60fps you can't say he was wrong.

TheCloser

Banned
sorry but response like this allow BS to happen by devs.

I'm going to back off though on this whole thing b/c I haven't played this game yet and I'll reserve my opinion before then b/c IGN has the worst track record and ND is a great dev. I just hope ND delivers (meaning during gameplay it's constant 60 no ifs or buts). If someone told you PS4 could;t handle a HD PS3 game at 60fps, tell me these forums wouldn't explode. That's all. Leave it at that until I can play this thing myself or hear otherwise but these forums.
Wow, I'm surprised someone fell for this. I thought the sarcasm in my post couldn't be more obvious.

shem935

Banned
I get you. I guess to me I just infer that means ~60 but you can notice some slight variations at times. This pretty much coincides with ND's responses of it being fine and there is nothing to worry about.

No one can really come out and say "It's 60fps most of the time, but in a few interior areas you will drop to 55 because of the particle effects when you throw three molotovs and a clicker is within three feet." For ND it would just turn into an online console war, and honestly even a small amount of negative press could lower the amount of purchases. Being a remake of such a recent game (no matter how awesome) is a risk even without this. I can see this journalist not being able to say it, because he actually had no proof of any numbers. You can see a slight variation when it occurs. Without monitoring it with software, all you could do is take a stab at it.

I'm inferring a lot, I know. But with Neil's "Solidly" comment he is too smart of a guy to play into this if he couldn't back it up. All that being said, my opinion is that he included that comment in there as click-bait material. Unless the game ends up 100% 60fps you can't say he was wrong.

Yeah I get you. Also quite true and most likely why he was vague about it. Thanks for the thoughts!

Edit: Nice I was looking for that gif. ^^

Top Bottom