• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

Handy Fake

I too would like a place on the hype plane, if it's not too much trouble. Just to say "I was there".

I'm scared of flying, but I know that in the loving embrace of the Druck, I am safe.

Unless he lodges a blu-ray into my sphincter.

DigtialT

I too would like a place on the hype plane, if it's not too much trouble. Just to say "I was there".

I'm scared of flying, but I know that in the loving embrace of the Druck, I am safe.

Unless he lodges a blu-ray into my sphincter.

That's when you know his love is real

Handy Fake

That's when you know his love is real

Then I ask he starts with a Sony Minidisc and works his way up. I'm a fragile flower and I'm quite proud of my posterior shutterspeed. I'd imagine the sudden introduction of 8" by 6" of plastic loving would leave my brownhole in permanent long-exposure mode.

Kind of a shame the trophies are the same. Mainly because the 'dont die in multiplayer' ones. Getting them legit is really hard. Ive only ever went 6-0 once that I remember and it was on University. This is coming from someone with a net positive k/d. Getting them semi-legit is boring, because you just get your downs/kills, then go hide. So boosting seems to be the easiest way.

So lame.

That isn't a fair comparison at all. The image you started with was already a poor, heavily compressed capture from PS3. Now you've enlarged and distorted it.

This is a better (but still compressed) example of what the PS3 produces:

ibqSCiZLFMjity.jpg

How does that static title screen show us annything about how the game looks when you are playing it, though? Seem rather pointless to compare that at all.

Dinjooh

How does that static title screen show us annything about how the game looks when you are playing it, though? Seem rather pointless to compare that at all.

Well, from just this tiny little photo, you can see a clear difference in aliasing on the leaf.

ibbV5hzq1ifqEC.jpg

And we know (pretty much) that the title screenshots haven't been altered with in any way.

Also, you just changed your avatar, - almost couldn't find your post.

It's not static, it's rendered in 3D with the engine, so it's exactly how the rest of the game looks.

The rest of the game doesn't look as good as that small title screen section. It's not representative of gameplay graphics at all.

You must know that the rendering of that window is naturally going to be made of a lot higher quality than just sections during gameplay, right?

Hubb

I bought the digital version on PS3 so I find 55$ for the PS4 a little expensive since I can't sell my other version

My only regret is not buying the season pass. Though I do feel a little sick saying that. Not the biggest fan of them, but ND really punishes you for buying piecemeal.

StuBurns

Banned
The rest of the game doesn't look as good as that small title screen section. It's not representative of gameplay graphics at all.

You must know that the rendering of that window is naturally going to be made of a lot higher quality than just sections during gameplay, right?
What are you suggesting? That the title screen has an alternative AA method to the game?

So why didn't they give it decent AA?

Well, from just this tiny little photo, you can see a clear difference in aliasing on the leaf.

ibbV5hzq1ifqEC.jpg

And we know (pretty much) that the title screenshots haven't been altered with in any way.

Also, you just changed your avatar, - almost couldn't find your post.

Yes I did :)

I understand why you'd do it, because it's representative of how it will look on each console.

But it's representative of how the title screen will look on each console, and the title screen exists in a bubble, graphics quality-wise, even though it's rendered using the in-game engine.

It's like comparing Kratos' face quality in the PS3 version title screen of GoW3 with a hypothetical PS4 version. Pointless.

Man

Lets try the opposite. I'm scaling the ps4 version down to 720p and comparing it with that new image.
In this case you halved the resolution of the PS4 image making it a useless comparison.

We need a raw high quality capture from both PS3 and PS4.
Then you scale up the PS3 image to 1080p (equal to HDTV resolution).

Gbraga

I bought the digital version on PS3 so I find 55$ for the PS4 a little expensive since I can't sell my other version

Oh, it is. Very expensive. It's just that I still think it's worth it. I'd rather put that money on buying The Last of Us again than anything else I would consider buying this month.

I still didn't play Second Son because I'm waiting until it hits a price point where I feel like my purchase is justified, but with The Last of Us, I feel ok with paying $50.

So why didn't they give it decent AA?

What are you suggesting? That the title screen has an alternative AA method to the game?

No, I'm suggesting that there are more polygons for that small section of imagery than would normally be the case during gameplay. There's also higher quality lighting etc. Everything is higher quality.

If you don't think that is the case, show me a window (and sill) in a gameplay section that looks as good as that, and I'll eat my words.

StuBurns

Banned
No, I'm suggesting that there are more polygons for that small section of imagery than would normally be the case during gameplay. There's also higher quality lighting etc. Everything is higher quality.

If you don't think that is the case, show me a window (and sill) in a gameplay section that looks as good as that, and I'll eat my words.
But that's irrelevant. They were comparing the IQ.

I'm sorry but for someone who has stated that they haven't played the game yet, you sure do have a lot of stuff to say about the gameplay...

*Quotes & pwnage & stuff*

So which is it? You seem to have already made a decision on the quality of the game that's for sure.

AF3J5.gif

StuBurns

Banned
Well it isn't irrelevant, we're not going to be playing the title screen, are we?

Comparing the title screen is an exercise in irrelevancy, if you ask me. But I understand there is not much else to go on.
What do you not understand exactly?

The title screen on PS3 appears to have the same image quality as the game, presuming that is the case on PS4 too, it's a perfectly apt comparison of the game's image quality, and that is what people were comparing.

Well it isn't irrelevant, we're not going to be playing the title screen, are we?

Comparing the title screen is an exercise in irrelevancy, if you ask me. But I understand there is not much else to go on.

My God.....people will argue about anything these days. I originally made the comparison as a half-joke about the IQ being better on the PS4 title screen compared to the PS3 title screen.

(I say half-joke because the IQ in the PS4 version is better, so the comparison is valid, but comparing something so trivial as a title screen is what people who are desperate for gameplay screens would do, hence it was done half-jokingly).

Comparing the IQ of the PS4 title screen and the PS3 title screen was relevant, your dragged-out, 'no fun allowed' comments are the only things that are irrelevant here.

What do you not understand exactly?

The title screen on PS3 appears to have the same image quality as the game, presuming that is the case on PS4 too, it's a perfectly apt comparison of the game's image quality, and that is what people were comparing.

I'm not sure but maybe we have different interpretations of what 'image quality' means.

If you are just trying to compare what effect the resolution bump has on the look of the game (title screen) then, don't let me stop you...

Lets try the opposite. I'm scaling the ps4 version down to 720p and comparing it with that new image.

ibbV5hzq1ifqEC.jpg
Yeah this is fairer, although not most wouldn't have seen such a clean PS3 image, being upscaled to 1080p on a typical HDTV. So this would also be a reasonable comparison (and probably what Man was trying to show - upscaled to 1080)

tlou1askie.png

But that's irrelevant. They were comparing the IQ.
Indeed.

I think you can see on the horizontal part of the sill on the PS3 version, even though it's only a short distance away, the horrible lack of AF that plagued all Naughty Dog games on PS3. The texture is already starting to blur away before it reaches the open window.

It's obviously much sharper on PS4 to begin with, but it also doesn't seem to blur at all towards the back, which may suggest they've put some AF in.

psn

I'm sorry but for someone who has stated that they haven't played the game yet, you sure do have a lot of stuff to say about the gameplay...

So which is it? You seem to have already made a decision on the quality of the game that's for sure.

Ice cold bro, nice find.

My God.....people will argue about anything these days. I originally made the comparison as a half-joke about the IQ being better on the PS4 title screen compared to the PS3 title screen.

(I say half-joke because the IQ in the PS4 version is better, so the comparison is valid, but comparing something so trivial as a title screen is what people who are desperate for gameplay screens would do, hence it was done half-jokingly).

Comparing the IQ of the PS4 title screen and the PS3 title screen was relevant, your dragged-out, 'no fun allowed' comments are the only things that are irrelevant here.

It's ok man, do what you want.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm not sure but maybe we have different interpretations of what 'image quality' means.

If you are just trying to compare what effect the resolution bump has on the look of the game (title screen) then, don't let me stop you...

Oh, man, it was just a little tongue in cheek comparison because we had nothing else to compare. It was never meant to become a frigin' meaningful conversation.

Jesus.

R_Deckard

Yeah this is fairer, although not most wouldn't have seen such a clean PS3 image, being upscaled to 1080p on a typical HDTV. So this would also be a reasonable comparison (and probably what Man was trying to show - upscaled to 1080)

tlou1askie.png

Indeed.

I think you can see on the horizontal part of the sill on the PS3 version, even though it's only a short distance away, the horrible lack of AF that plagued all Naughty Dog games on PS3. The texture is already starting to blur away before it reaches the open window.

It's obviously much sharper on PS4 to begin with, but it also doesn't seem to blur at all towards the back, which may suggest they've put some AF in.

Screw all that... no one has picked up the lack of Knife on Ps4..it clearly did not have enough power left to render the switchblade!!

This can only mean one thing?

The knife is gone from the title screen, meaning it is missing in the game and everyone who has played it knows that means
Yes Ellie no longer helps you as the AI is now broken
and she now just sits around saying "ohh I cannot help you, I am just a girl only here to be rescued, over sexualised or just plain material reference" boo hooo.

Druckman what have you done......DRUCKMAN!!!
Neil_druckmann-the-last-of-us.jpg

That dude came in here, posted menu screenshots, and hasn't been back since.....

Y U TEASE US LIKE DIS?!

He's probably playing it right now, while we sit here and compare leaves.

Top Bottom