• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered HQ Teaser Trailer

lol alright thanks everyone. Guess I'll wait for the next footage they release

The game is incredible on PS3, wobbly framerate and all. It's pretty much a cast-iron guarantee that the PS4 version is going to outdo the PS3 version in every way. Do yourself a favour, if you intend to play it at some point, go dark and avoid everything about the game.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I hope the final game will have these 200 GOTY awards cycling as the loading screen.

Is it me, or do the buildings not look as worn down in the remastered scene as they are in the original.

Look at the buildings to the right, on the PS3 screen, they are missing windows and such, in the remastered shots they aren't.

Maybe the textures aren't finalized?
The building that you see in the PS4 footage also isn't missing any windows in the PS3 shot.

abaldwin360

Neo Member
Is it me, or do the buildings not look as worn down in the remastered scene as they are in the original.

Look at the buildings to the right, on the PS3 screen, they are missing windows and such, in the remastered shots they aren't.

-griffy-

Banned

In the remaster wide shot, we don't see the building with the missing windows. It's off screen. Look at this shot on the far right, from before the camera pulls out, and you'll see the building with the missing windows:
GiyTM4Y.png

The background assets look virtually identical between versions in this shot.

viveks86

The buildings have been definitive edition-ed

-griffy- is right

Vire

Those aren't the same buildings... it's from a different camera angle in the PS3 screenshot.

The worn buildings you are referring to would be further to the right of the ones seen in the PS4 screen.

I hope the final game will have these 200 GOTY awards cycling as the loading screen.

All those little green spores? Tiny, tiny box quotes that you can zoom in on.

It'll be like that time we could play Galaga while we waited for Ridge Racer to load. Or watch all those Technician Teds march left and right across the loading screen on our Spectrums.

KoopaTheCasual

Maybe you can help me out here, GAF. Maybe not.

Long story short, I don't like this trailer. I'm probably alone, but I also realize that this is undoubtedly an unpopular opinion here, so we tend to stay quiet, those of us who think this way.

That's not to say I hate it, or that I think it's a bad trailer. Far from it. It's drop-dead gorgeous, of course (I'm a bit of a graphics whore, so that doesn't hurt). The trailer so far (I think I'm about a third of the way through) is interesting with all the awards, if somewhat predictable at this stage.

But I just can't find myself getting engaged by the footage, and I can't quite put my finger on why. Blacks are solid, course, as expected from ND. It's not the typeface, as I can read the hell out of forums like NeoGAF.

Whatever it was, I just found myself unable to get "into" the trailer like I usually can with most trailers. I felt like I was struggling to just let it run, and I kept wondering where this amazing trailer was that everyone kept talking about.

Does it get better? Does it change up later, or is it going to be more of this for another 3 minutes? Because I'm not sure I can slog my way through it if that's the case. People talk about how great the ending is, and I've done a good job of not spoiling it for myself, so I could still experience that if I can just get to it.

Help me, GAF! Help me understand why everyone is pissing themselves over this trailer now being available in 1080p/60. Help me give a shit enough to maybe watch it a second time. Because as it is right now, I couldn't care less about this HQ teaser trailer, and I may not even finish the YouTube edition.
Your best work, Benny.

abaldwin360

Neo Member
In the remaster wide shot, we don't see the building with the missing windows. It's off screen. Look at this shot on the far right, from before the camera pulls out, and you'll see the building with the missing windows:

The background assets look virtually identical between versions in this shot.

Ah! I see now, thanks.

Theman2k

looks higher res, but i am a bit disappointed by the texture quality overall.

IMO the PS4 version of tomb raider looks better.

alatif113

Can someone please post the time that this spoiler moment occurs so I can actually watch this trailer. I'm dying to see how it looks. Thanks

Just watch it. The real spoilers are the idiots crying "spoiler!" at anything and everything just because they finished the game and you didnt. The 10 second shot is shown out of context and so you wont even know whats going on. Sheesh, its not like they're showing the ending or a huge plot disrupting event. So yeah, just watch it...you'll be fine.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Just watch it. The real spoilers are the idiots crying "spoiler!" at anything and everything just because they finished the game and you didnt. The 10 second shot is shown out of context and so you wont even know whats going on. Sheesh, its not like they're showing the ending or a huge plot disrupting event. So yeah, just watch it...you'll be fine.
The spoiler is coming from inside the thread!

Long story short, I don't like this trailer. I'm probably alone, but I also realize that this is undoubtedly an unpopular opinion here, so we tend to stay quiet, those of us who think this way.

That's not to say I hate it, or that I think it's a bad trailer. Far from it. It's drop-dead gorgeous, of course (I'm a bit of a graphics whore, so that doesn't hurt). The trailer so far (I think I'm about a third of the way through) is interesting with all the awards, if somewhat predictable at this stage.

But I just can't find myself getting engaged by the footage, and I can't quite put my finger on why. Blacks are solid, course, as expected from ND. It's not the typeface, as I can read the hell out of forums like NeoGAF.

Whatever it was, I just found myself unable to get "into" the trailer like I usually can with most trailers. I felt like I was struggling to just let it run, and I kept wondering where this amazing trailer was that everyone kept talking about.

Does it get better? Does it change up later, or is it going to be more of this for another 3 minutes? Because I'm not sure I can slog my way through it if that's the case. People talk about how great the ending is, and I've done a good job of not spoiling it for myself, so I could still experience that if I can just get to it.

Help me, GAF! Help me understand why everyone is pissing themselves over this trailer now being available in 1080p/60. Help me give a shit enough to maybe watch it a second time. Because as it is right now, I couldn't care less about this HQ teaser trailer, and I may not even finish the YouTube edition.

Hmmm...this can develop into the new "I'm a expert". Bravo

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah it doesn't look very good at 24fps. Seeing it in cinema widescreen could look great though, but they'd need to render it out from the sides rather than cropping it like I did, the shots weren't designed for that aspect ratio.

I'll have to watch this non YouTube version when I get home.

I think people are overselling the "spoiler" thing. It was a cool moment but wasn't a game changer. Apparently ND agrees because they chose to show it. People are already talking about
giraffes
in this thread anyway.

Shin-Ra

Much better, and I'm impressed by ND's reaction to our reaction to the YouTube 1080p (lack of) quality.

Hopefully the temporary website downtime doesn't cause too many headaches. Much appreciated!

/dead

theWB27

Kind of agree. I haven't played the game and knowing Naughty Dog, this scene could've just been one of those optional -happens in the background- moments. Something you only could see if you stopped and smelled the roses. It's grossly out of context and the only reason we know it's important now is because people keep saying it's important.

I still watched the trailer and it means nothing to me because I don't know what's going on, what happened leading up to this moment. So for the people who haven't played the game....it's definitely not a spoiler. Just an out of context scene for now...

jett

D-Member
They're using a strange looking DOF effect, also some sort of temporal AA, I can see shimmering in the far off distance. The DOF effect is strange though, the blurred parts look sort of "painterly".

Shin-Ra

The HQ trailer still isn't great for taking a sharp frame but I made an updated comparison of the smoothed over geometry.

13787272894_3ca3060600_o.jpg

i probably missed it but.. Why was everyone using the end of the shot, with character blurred, to compare the game with a shot of the PS3 version, where the characters were focused, when you can actually compare the models with the beginning of the shot ?

I mean this.

TLOU.jpg

How does it compare to the PS3 model in the same scene ?

Difficult to get a good comparison with the shit camera and all the motion blur, but here are some XMB screenshots:

thelastofus_17h5uju.png

thelastofus_211ru1b.png

thelastofus_22mducq.png

thelastofus_273uupv.png

thelastofus_9s1u35.png

thelastofus_33awuvf.png

thelastofus_289muk2.png

thelastofus_328guzt.png

thelastofus_36hku98.png

thelastofus_745ut7.png

Give us a GT6 quality photomode in the game, please!!!

Shin-Ra

With the higher res and presumably anisotropic filtering, you should be able to see the existing texture detail further away and at more acute angles.

Top Bottom