• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

nib95

Banned
I'm not 100% sure because the PS3 version sounded really good as well. It's definitely the most elaborate sounding game I've ever heard, the level of detail on my Beyer T1s is absolutely insane. There's also no issues with volume levels which is a god send coming from garbage like Wolfenstein and Infamous.

Nice, same headphones as me!

I would say that a good part of the emotional impact of the game gets lost if you don't have children.
Not just on the main narrative but in the gameplay. Every house is family home and its always moving to walk into the kids bedroom.

Playing it on grounded is freaking amazing.

I don't have children, but have a very big family and have grown up around children my whole life, looking after or being there for my cousins etc from when they were born. And I must say, parts of this game had a pretty profound effect on me, without much really even happening.

In particular a house in Bills area that had children's playrooms in it, notably this little jigsaw mat unfinished in the living room, and most of all the nursery school in the sewers at the end. Reading those letters and learning of what likely became of those poor children's fate. Honestly, was like a punch in my gut. For a while I was kind of left sapped and hit hard. I remember the first time I played the game I just paused for like half a minute, having to give myself a few seconds to come to terms with the scenario implied. First time a game has really had that sort of an affect on me.

RoKKeR

Man, the hour or so transition from
the end of Fall to the first section of winter
is just so incredibly well done. The pacing, the way the narrative sort of weaves it's way back with
Ellie asking for medicine
is just beautiful story telling.

milkham

Man, the hour or so transition from
the end of Fall to the first section of winter
is just so incredibly well done. The pacing, the way the narrative sort of weaves it's way back with
Ellie asking for medicine
is just beautiful story telling.

yeah man, that feeling... until that moment i was like
"omg joel is dead?!"

RoKKeR

yeah man, that feeling... until that moment i was like
"omg joel is dead?!"

Yep, the first time I played it I legitimately thought that was the case, just as intended!

Another thing to note is just how much the story holds up even after multiple playthroughs. This is my third time playing the game and the big story beats still hit just as hard as they did the first time, (i.e.
Ellie giving Joel medicine... "You're going to make it", etc.
) which I find is due in large part to the incredible performances of the actors and the pacing of the game. Even if you know what's coming, the way everything falls in place is done so to leave those moments still feeling big and impactful.

Playing Remastered is just reaffirming for me that this is definitely one of the best games of the last generation.

TheMan

so i'm about to
attempt to cross the bridge at night with the black guy and his little brother
. about how far into the game do you guys think i am?

sjay1994

?

I'm still with Bill in summer but I've had no issues opening shiv doors thus far...

I missed 2. One in bills town because I accidently wasted a shiv on a clicker and the game autosaved.

And the one I just missed is when you meet Henry and Sam.

I am fucking scrounging hard

viveks86

Grounded mode human AI is spectacular. Never had such intense encounters with just 4 bullets in any game. There was one point where a guy hid behind cover and waited there until I walked unsuspectingly into his trap. I died a happy man.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ok I just finished up and missed one of the last lines because the wife was yapping.
Ellie asks Joel if everything he said about the fireflies was true. What was his answer?
Also regarding
Joel just killing the shit out of everybody. I didn't mind it to a point then there became a time when I was wondering if it was all necessary. It really gave me weird feels the last 1/8th of the game or so.
Amazing game.

Talking during game ending? Divorce please.

ocean

Banned
Goddamn, this game is so intense. I am currently struggling with
a Bloated son of a bitch and his clan of runners, right after I turn on a generator at the Hotel in Pittsburgh

I haven't been this moved by a game, ever. The graffiti on walls and ransacked households give us a dire sense of this horrible atmosphere. This is "video game as an art form" people.

StuBurns

Banned
a Bloated son of a bitch and his clan of runners, right after I turn on a generator at the Hotel in Pittsburgh

I haven't been this moved by a game, ever. The graffiti on walls and ransacked households give us a dire sense of this horrible atmosphere. This is "video game as an art form" people.
Got any nail bombs?

Yep, the first time I played it I legitimately thought that was the case, just as intended!

Another thing to note is just how much the story holds up even after multiple playthroughs. This is my third time playing the game and the big story beats still hit just as hard as they did the first time, (i.e.
Ellie giving Joel medicine... "You're going to make it", etc.
) which I find is due in large part to the incredible performances of the actors and the pacing of the game. Even if you know what's coming, the way everything falls in place is done so to leave those moments still feeling big and impactful.

Playing Remastered is just reaffirming for me that this is definitely one of the best games of the last generation.

Yeah couldn't agree more. Were getting the rare opportunity to revisit the game in large fashion and reassess the "hype" and for me it's even better than I remember. It truly is a game that will stand for a long long time.

Incredible accomplishment

Also Rokker your avi bro is fantastic. Love me some Matt

Kvik

Always dry run it first. twice if you have to (I did).

Of course then I botched the QTE because I buckled under pressure.

terrible

Banned
NYCRfhK.jpg

Aw yiss. That was not nearly as painful as I was expecting.

phen0m24

Struggled in that part too.

two molotovs and he's a crispy critter! run out of the room, across the hall into that room, then to the right and up the stairs. Put some distance on him if you can't take out the runners before he grabs you. Then torch him.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Played through Left Behind again tonight. I had forgotten how much I loved it.
Being able to manipulate hunters and infected into fighting each other makes it a breeze on Survivor and there's so much great dialogue throughout the whole thing. It just reminds me how badly I want Ellie to remain a part of this series. Even if it's a different cast, different adventure, I want to see Ellie as a central part of the narrative if there are future installments.

Another question, if I do the NG+ glitch to play Grounded will that count as a Grounded+ run or will it just allow me to take upgrades over into Grounded?

I struggled a long time with surviving that encounter as well. Just make sure you have that
key card
before you
start the generator
and it becomes manageable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For those interested, Left Behind doesn't have any gamma issues or messed up looking spore areas like the main game. Should mean that they'll be relatively easy to patch.

StuBurns

Banned
I hope any sequel doesn't
star Ellie and Joel, they could be in there if you visit Tommy's town but I'd rather not even that.

Actually, Left Behind made me want an Ellie's mom and Marlene story involving the forming of the Fireflies.

The Lamp

I played through the ps3 version three times and now I'm playing through it again on TLOUR and may want to do it again later this month.

The gameplay and story hold up very well to replay. It just transports me to another world. It's just as good as when I played it a year ago.

Hell, I might wanna try speed running it at some point. The seamless level design and game play is so satisfying and fun to explore that I could see myself enjoying it unlike other games.

I think this is the best looking game I've ever seen, and I've got a 780 in my PC. But ND's artists just went above and beyond here. It feels like every corner of every room and courtyard and rooftop was so painstakingly hand crafted, there's so much to see. The artistic skill (and the BUDGET) that went into this game, man.

This is what really stands out to me too. The enironment art is just amazing.

I think this is the best looking game I've ever seen, and I've got a 780 in my PC. But ND's artists just went above and beyond here. It feels like every corner of every room and courtyard and rooftop was so painstakingly hand crafted, there's so much to see. The artistic skill (and the BUDGET) that went into this game, man.

It's also a technical marvel. The lighting engine, even half-assed like they admitted it is because the PS3 couldn't handle it, is simply without equal IMO. I too got a 780 and I am still more impressed by TLOU at 720p20fps on my PS3 than Tomb Raider at 1080p60fps Ultra+Tessellation+Max SSAO+TressFX on my PC.

I cannot wait for the launches of Uncharted 4, The Order, and of the projects of SSM, Guerrilla and Quantic Dream. Skeptics will eat crow, minds will be blown, and people will get another reminder of how much efficient closed hardware can be.

RoKKeR

Yeah couldn't agree more. Were getting the rare opportunity to revisit the game in large fashion and reassess the "hype" and for me it's even better than I remember. It truly is a game that will stand for a long long time.

Incredible accomplishment

Also Rokker your avi bro is fantastic. Love me some Matt

Yep, it really is something special.

Yes! Absolutely, the dude is insane.

Top Bottom