• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

The game is designed well enough to give you contextual, aural, and environmental cues to feel out the location of the enemies with your own senses and perception. It builds masterful amounts of tension.

Other games would use Listen Mode as a crutch, because they aren't designed well enough, The Last of Us just includes it as an optional cheat feature.

100% this.
Also, play on hard.

Haha. I know it sounds a little harsh, but it's such a large crutch that I just don't see any other way to describe it.

Nah, I hear ya. I used it my first playthrough. I am gonna try it without just to see how different it feels this time though.

Since it is on by default I don't really see it as a cheat but rather a function they intended people to use. Playing without it on the other hand is an option in order to make it more challenging and realistic.
I won't tell anybody if I turn it back on though ;P

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
From what I can tell, the game appears to be missing object motion blur? Did they remove it in order to hit 60 fps? I've only looked at footage of the introduction area but there was clearly no motion blur during the realtime stuff. Blur looks incredible at 60 fps so I'm disappointed that it was removed. Can anyone confirm if it is gone from the entire game?

Perhaps it's enabled when using 30 fps mode?

I'm curious about this now. Uncharted 3 SHIPPED without motion blur but it was added back in a patch.

Andrew.

Banned
I don't care what any of you think, I'm using listen mode unless the difficulty I'm playing at doesn't have it!

I'm not sure if it's automatically turned off for Hard, but it definitely isn't available when on Survivor or Grounded.

And I believe the motion blur isn't missing as much as it is turned down a bit, but someone can correct me on that if Im wrong.

daveo42

Banned
Turning off listen mode just makes the game that much better. Each encounter feels more tense and the whole presentation feels way more grounded. I did play with listen mode on during my initial playthrough and It feels way more like a crutch that tones down all of your other senses in knowing when to move and how.

Besides, as it has been pointed out, the game gives you all the cues you need without it, it's just there to make the game easy for those who are less interested in a challenge and are more about the story. I like my games to have both.

GavinUK86

From what I can tell, the game appears to be missing object motion blur? Did they remove it in order to hit 60 fps? I've only looked at footage of the introduction area but there was clearly no motion blur during the realtime stuff. Blur looks incredible at 60 fps so I'm disappointed that it was removed. Can anyone confirm if it is gone from the entire game?

I'm curious about this now. Uncharted 3 SHIPPED without motion blur but it was added back in a patch.

as far as i know it still has a form of motion blur just completely toned down due the resolution bump.

antitrop

If this game wins back to back GOTY I will be disappointed by 2014 developers everywhere.

But with the actual lack of games, I really think it has a great chance

TLOU vs Destiny vs Evolve

Wolfenstein: The New Order comes sliding down the hallway unloading double-barrelled, shrapnel-flingin' auto-shotguns and says "WHAT THE FUCK IS UP?"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Listen mode can be useful if you don't have a great surround system or good headphones, or are in a noisy environment.

dark10x

as far as i know it still has a form of motion blur just completely toned down due the resolution bump.
It doesn't even seem to be present at all. Object motion blur should be pretty obvious with large, sweeping motions but I'm not seeing it at all in real-time. The pre-rendered cutscene, however, definitely appears to use it.

While it's less necessary at 60 fps I still think it looks really good when used at a high-frame-rate.

Ricky_R

I read an impression saying that due to the increased res, they reduced motion blur considerably.

daveo42

Banned
Wolfenstein: The New Order comes sliding down the hallway unloading double-barrelled, shrapnel-flingin' auto-shotguns and says "WHAT THE FUCK IS UP?"

for me it's a toss up between this and Second Son right now. Wolfenstein was one hell of a ride though.

Andrew.

Banned

Yeah, that and Tropical Freeze for me so far. TLOU will be up there and if for some miracle GTAV ships in 2014, I got my top for the year all settled.

antitrop

Man, I really need to play this!
Yes, you do.

These are usually enough to sell the game:

ibqFgYxQgI3hRz.gif

i6aQZYDc95uYD.gif

-griffy-

Banned

They said they turned down the motion blur effect since in the original release it was actually helping to hide textures streaming in.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
From what I can tell, the game appears to be missing object motion blur? Did they remove it in order to hit 60 fps? I've only looked at footage of the introduction area but there was clearly no motion blur during the realtime stuff. Blur looks incredible at 60 fps so I'm disappointed that it was removed.
I honestly think motion blur kind of makes no sense at 60FPS. It should be there to create the illusion of smoothness at lower framerate, but when there's already natural smoothness, what's the point? Your eyes will blur things that move too fast just like they do when you look outside of the window of the fast moving car. To me MB looks weird and tacked on at 60, but maybe it would make sense in very small amounts. I think they've actually said it's still there but reduced. I think you're right and 30FPS mode would bring it back in full force, or so I hope. That grungy blur was a good part of the appeal of game's visuals to me. It just went hand--in-hand with the whole dilapidated look of the world.

Again, do yourselves a favor and play on hard with listen mode off.
You might say that you can save it for subsequent playthroughs but it's not the same.
Playing below hard completely removes the survival element from the game and seeing through walls is just ridiculous.

Feel the tension of not knowing what's around the corner or how many enemies you're facing, make the choice between using your loot to craft a medkit or a molotov instead of having a full inventory of both, count your bullets and make every shot count instead of playing the game like your average shooter.

Easy choice I think.
Just some advice from a fellow gaffer for people about to play this for the first time. I did it and I'm very glad I did.

Ricky_R

Yes, you do.

These are usually enough to sell the game:

2455459-3560041245-wolfe.gif

i6aQZYDc95uYD.gif

Damn, that looks cool and fun. Will wait to see if it ends up on PS+.

My understanding is that motion blur was only there to mask the slow loading of things. With the PS4 this should not be needed correct?

Possibly, although I would imagine that some noticeable good motion blur is always nice despite the higher frame rate. I'm a fan of motion blur, so I hope there's some in TLOU:R.

Ted

Haha. I know it sounds a little harsh, but it's such a large crutch that I just don't see any other way to describe it.

The sound design in this game is great but it simply cannot be appreciated by everyone who plays the game, mostly for pragmatic reasons. Listen mode is a handy mechanism if you don't want to (or can't) shut out the world around you by playing with headphones or have the sound up loud enough for it to disturb other activities happening in a shared space.

I'm sure you can appreciate that games aren't only played by people who play alone or in a space dedicated to gaming.

If you can crank it up or wear headphones, DO IT.

If you can't, don't worry about it too much.

dark10x

I honestly think motion blur kind of makes no sense at 60FPS. It shoudl be there to mask low framerate and create the illusion of smoothness, but when there's already natural smoothness, what's the point? To me MB looks weird and tacked on at 60, but maybe it would make sense in very small amounts. I think they've actually said it's still there but reduced. I think you're right and 30FPS mode would bring it back in full force, or so I hope. That grungy blur was a good part of the appeal of game's visuals to me. It just went hand--in-hand with the whole dilapidated look of the world.
It sounds like you're talking about camera blur, which is less necessary at high frame-rates, but I'm talking about object motion blur. Object blur looks incredible at higher frame-rates.

Just look at the games CryTek has released over the years among others. A higher frame-rate does not remove the need for good object blur.

dcassell

Banned
I read an impression saying that due to the increased res, they reduced motion blur considerably.

I forgot where, but I read that they originally used motion blur to hide the loading of textures and it wasn't necessary in the remastered edition so they cut it out

EDIT: Confused camera blur with object blur.

sjay1994

Eh. It was ok. A good time killer but not the best game I played all year.

One line does stick around with me though

Like Prometheus I steal fire from the gods! Beautiful!

I guess it didn't come out this year but guacamelee was the best thing I have played all year, also the destiny beta.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
looking forward to giving this game a second chance. But already beating the game, I may have to play on hard. I had a hard enough time on normal, but I may attribute it to the poor fps on the ps3 version.

dark10x

I forgot where, but I read that they originally used motion blur to hide the loading of textures and it wasn't necessary in the remastered edition so they cut it out
I don't buy that at all. Per-object blur isn't going to hide texture streaming.

It's an expensive effect to do well, however, leading me to believe it was axed in order to hit their frame-rate target. I hope that's not the case. It's one of the things that really separates real-time visuals from CG. Good motion blur makes a HUGE difference.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm sure you can appreciate that games aren't only played by people who play alone or in a space dedicated to gaming.

Oh totally. And I'm in absolute agreement in the fact that if you live in a loud environment or dont have access to a decent sound system or headphones, then go ahead and rock on with Listen Mode.

But if you come from opposite world, turn that shit off.

Dreez

I liked it Hard with listen mode for my first time, and then Survivor (which has no Listen Mode). Makes it two... REALLY unique playthroughs. This time I'm going straight to Grounded x]

I liked it Hard with listen mode for my first time, and then Survivor (which has no Listen Mode). Makes it two... REALLY unique playthroughs. This time I'm going straight to Grounded x]

Exactly the same for me. Really looking forward to it. On survival I still managed to put together an arsenal by the time I got to the final area.

Again, do yourselves a favor and play on hard with listen mode off.
You might say that you can save it for subsequent playthroughs but it's not the same.
Playing below hard completely removes the survival element from the game and seeing through walls is just ridiculous.

Feel the tension of not knowing what's around the corner or how many enemies you're facing, make the choice between using your loot to craft a medkit or a molotov instead of having a full inventory of both, count your bullets and make every shot count instead of playing the game like your average shooter.

Easy choice I think.
Just some advice from a fellow gaffer for people about to play this for the first time. I did it and I'm very glad I did.

Personally I think the game should only be played on survivor to get the 'true' experience but since they lock that behind beating hard mode I agree that hard without listen mode is the best way to play the game first time through

Ted

But if you come from opposite world, turn that shit off.

And enjoy your world while you can....!

Soon you'll probably be convincing your wife/husband she/he really needs to see her parents and that the kids would love to see granny on x weekend when your favourite game/movie/toy is coming out. :)

-griffy-

Banned

It's an expensive effect to do well, however, leading me to believe it was axed in order to hit their frame-rate target. I hope that's not the case. It's one of the things that really separates real-time visuals from CG. Good motion blur makes a HUGE difference.

Are you certain it's not there? It was present in the brief glimpses of real-time footage in that one longer trailer. I mean, traditionally a 180° shutter angle is used, which means motion blur will be far more pronounced at 30fps than at 60fps, where there is less motion occurring per frame to be blurred.

EDIT: Here are grabs of all the shots I can recall being real-time from the E3 trailer, and you can definitely see per-object motion blur present in freeze frame, but it's fairly hard to discern it in motion since it's somewhat subtle. This is from the 60fps version on Naughty Dog's site, btw.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Just look at the games CryTek has released over the years among others. A higher frame-rate does not remove the need for good object blur.
I was thinking precisely of Crysis 2/3 running at 60FPS when I was saying motion blur looked tacked on in them :\ To me it kind of makes no sense to have it when the action is already as smooth as the screen refresh allows. Your brain should add blur naturally to things that move too fast in that case anyway, just as it happens if you look outside of the window of a fast moving car. But if it's there I would think it would be in a very small amount as the movement per frame is much lesser at 60FPS for the same object speed.

Motion blur in TLOU wasn't really always what I'd call a per-object motion blur anyway. It would just kick in randomly and blur things for no obvious reason, like when the character is barely even moving (maybe that is when it was hiding texture loading>?)). It created a weird ethereal effect that I actually liked. You can see what I'm talking about on that infamous PS3 screen where Ellie and Tess are walking through the swamp water with Joel following.

Andrew.

Banned
Exactly the same for me. Really looking forward to it. On survival I still managed to put together an arsenal by the time I got to the final area.

I never have once picked up that
M4 in the hospital.
Just didn't seem right and very unlike Joel's character.
The dude isn't Rambo.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I wonder if it gets reapplied if you make the game 30fps.

Andrew.

Banned
And enjoy your world while you can....!

Soon you'll probably be convincing your wife/husband she/he really needs to see her parents and that the kids would love to see granny on x weekend when your favourite game/movie/toy is coming out. :)

Never. I don't want a wife and I sure as hell don't want kids.

I'm sitting here, twitching at how badly I need to play multiplayer on PS4 already.

I'll revisit the campaign, one sweet day. It'll be glorious, and I'll be happy to have my replay so graphically improved.

But I'm here for the multiplayer. I need it nao.

dark10x

Are you certain it's not there? It was present in the brief glimpses of real-time footage in that one longer trailer. I mean, traditionally a 180° shutter angle is used, which means motion blur will be far more pronounced at 30fps than at 60fps, where there is less motion occurring per frame to be blurred.
I'm not 100% certain as I've only seen the introduction gameplay (right before the intro credits). The pre-rendered stuff uses it as it did in the original but the gameplay really does not appear to use it in any meaningful way. It was very obvious in the original version but I'm not seeing it at all even in still frames. I don't think it's being used here.

It's still possible that it could re-appear during normal gameplay, however, but I was just surprised to see it missing at this point.

Top Bottom