• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

antitrop

I just can't get over how good the combat sequences in this game are. Even though it's all dynamic, everything flows together perfectly. It's masterful chaos.

Personally I think the game should only be played on survivor to get the 'true' experience but since they lock that behind beating hard mode I agree that hard without listen mode is the best way to play the game first time through

In the Remaster all dificulties are unlocked from the start. It's just that I can't blindly recomend playing on survivor for the first playthrough though I agree it's a better experience, some people might struggle with it though.

I added mlaa to the middle ps3 image so we can see the character model more clearly. The differences are subtle, but you can tell the ps4 model is slightly improved.

iMjvRmvPYciFe.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just can't get over how good the combat sequences in this game are. Even though it's all dynamic, everything flows together perfectly. It's masterful chaos.
It's crazy impressive how adaptive it is. Even with no supplies, there's always a way out and the enemy reactions always feel like that was the "right" way to go through it. I've played through so many sections in different ways and it always feels just as good.

EL CUCO

I agree. The only other game that I can think of, that has achieved this type of combat so smooth is Sleepy Dawgs.

Just curious as I haven't been here for awhile; have a quick question:
How are the water effects? Aside from the obvious improvements (resolution and framerate).
Has anyone made a comparison? Thanks!

Hey Gaf, I could use a little advice and a few suggestions. I would like some input on how to get the best experience for myself out of the game for my first complete playthrough.

I played the PS3 version up until
the high school shortly after the first bloater.
Can anybody tell me how much is left? I would google it but I don't want to ruin anything. I was playing on Hard and did not experience any major problems with difficulty or getting equipment/supplies.

I also played multiplayer up until the first map pack. Seems like survivor difficulty may be the best option for me. I just don't want to get frustrated if it's TOO difficult or kind of hurts the story due to constant re-starts. For reference, I have no problem playing smaller game bits time after time to make it through them but I don't want to replay huge chunks. As I recall TLoU had the best system ever to allow one to play that way. will it be the same?

Any tips to maximize my enjoyment?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I added mlaa to the ps3 image on the left so we can see the character model more clearly. The differences are subtle, but you can tell the ps4 model is slightly improved.

it7IxqBB8Kc82.png
So many people are going to post this image without realizing PS3 has added AA as a way of "proving" the game hasn't been improved much.

Hey Gaf, I could use a little advice and a few suggestions. I would like some input on how to get the best experience for myself out of the game for my first complete playthrough.

Can anybody tell me how much is left? I would google it but I don't want to ruin anything. I was playing on Hard and did not experience any major problems with difficulty or getting equipment/supplies.

I also played multiplayer up until the first map pack.

You only played about 25% of the game.

Palocca

You were probably about 15 to 20 percent through in single player. Are you asking how to maximize enjoyment for both modes?

Gray Matter

I would say you played about 15-20 percent of the game so you have a lot more to enjoy.

Hello,

I'm going to do a bit of self-promo so forgive me for this post if anyone takes issue.

Next Friday, the day of its release in the UK, I'm doing a 24-hour stream of Remastered in full - that's the main game, a stint on Factions and Left Behind - all for UK-based games charity GamesAid. I announced this in late June and wanted to post this to raise more attention to it, but I wanted to also wait closer to the time to do it.

Here's the announcement post I did on my blog last month: http://johnnycullen.net/2014/06/30/...iday-august-1-saturday-august-2-from-3pm-bst/

(you may notice I am making a very big deal out of it - as it's for charity, I think I can get away with it)

I'm also giving away a pre-stream package of prizes to one random person who donates at least a fiver (basically £5 in the UK): http://johnnycullen.net/2014/07/03/...ered-win-a-cool-care-package-of-tlou-goodies/

Had a few of my peers chuck in a few tenners and a twenty (BTW, before anyone asks, the 'Shuhei Yoshida' donation is actually Gav Murphy, formerly of CVG, being a silly billy) but had a hefty (and unexpected) donation from SCE UK the other day. While I'm over the halfway point of my target already, which is pleasing. I'm hoping to surpass that by next week.

You can donate here: https://www.justgiving.com/Johnny-Cullen/

Oh, and just to add a cherry on top to hopefully convince you to donate, here's a promo for the stream I whipped up today featuring some famous commentary from Jim 'Good 'ole JR' Ross: http://youtu.be/u6IlmxgNeiY

Ta!

Gaz_RB

It's crazy impressive how adaptive it is. Even with no supplies, there's always a way out and the enemy reactions always feel like that was the "right" way to go through it. I've played through so many sections in different ways and it always feels just as good.

Definitely. Also, the combat really complemented the plot in a way that most games can't manage.

See: Bioshock Infinite, Uncharted

You absolutely can "have your cake and eat it too". PC games have been doing this for years and it looks great at 60 fps. It doesn't need to be exaggerated but it still improves visual quality in motion.

I'm not saying you can't crank up the motion blur samples and use a physically impossible 360 degree shutter angle to get motion blur in a high FPS scene, I'm saying that if your intent is to mimic real world visual systems, you simply cannot do it.

Pro

Will you be able to start Survivor Mode right away or will you have to unlock it? Or maybe import your completion status from the PS3? Did survivor on PS3 and don't want to unlock it again on this version. But I will if I must.

murgo

It has been on repeat in our house for a couple of months now
LITERALLY
due to one of my kids being addicted
AGAIN LITERALLY
to it. Luckily it is probably the best kids/animated movie I have ever seen. The humor is really top notch! I decided that for today I am only going to do lego movie gifs. lol

post-38447-everything-is-awesome-gif-lego-GdJw.gif

When I have kids, I'll get them addicted to that movie too :)
Couple of years later, I'll make them play TLOU.

If they don't like either of those two, I'll get rid of them.

AKyemeni

Alright, I just beat that hard part where
When Joel gives Ellie the Hunting Rifle
and boy was that intense on Grounded Mode. The aiming is so much better at 60FPS. I tried several times playing the game capped at 30, but I just couldn't.

I forgot how good this games shotgun is.

Yup, that and the rifle were my back-up weapons when shit hit the fan. Wait for those suckers to get within an inch of you and blast them away with the shotty...so satisfying.

and boy was that intense on Grounded Mode. The aiming is so much better at 60FPS. I tried several times playing the game capped at 30, but I just couldn't.

How solid is the framerate?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Damn. I can't wait to play this at 60.

Gray Matter

You got to that section already? Goddamn.

AKyemeni

How solid is the framerate?
It's pretty solid. I haven't noticed any frame drops EXCEPT when during extremely heavy particle effects and lots of movement is happening, which only happened once at
the Bloater fight in the gym, when there were 2 runners and the boater was using is projectile attack and I threw a molotov and nail bomb at the same time

During that part, it dropped to may be 50-55.

antitrop

It's pretty solid. I haven't noticed any frame drops EXCEPT when during extremely heavy particle effects and lots of movement is happening, which only happened once at
the Bloater fight in the gym, when there were 2 runners and the boater was using is projectile attack and I threw a molotov and nail bomb at the same time

Sooooo... assume the best?

Game4life

Banned

Good to know! Thank you!

Gray Matter

Naughty gods did it. I never doubted them

ok, maybe a little.

bombshell

Naughty Gods.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You absolutely can "have your cake and eat it too". PC games have been doing this for years and it looks great at 60 fps. It doesn't need to be exaggerated but it still improves visual quality in motion.

But given the same amount of camera/object motion, object blur would be lower for 60fps Vs 30fps, right?

Top Bottom