• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Ricky_R

I don't know guys... I see plenty of chest hair.

ZPGkYZ8.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
Will this be noticeable for someone like me who never notices differences in FPS?
Considering this is the first time I will play the same game in both 30fps and 60fps.

I really want to be able to notice a positive difference with all the hype around here :(
I don't understand how someone can't see the difference, I imagine you must be seeing it and just not knowing what to look for or something. However, this game has a 30fps cap option, so you can flick back and forth and see if you can tell the difference.

Regardless the IQ has seen a fine boost.

JLeack

Banned
Review copy was delayed for us. :(

Apparently there is a sizable day one patch that they feel is necessary to install before playing. The update won't be published until Monday~.

AKyemeni

Will this be noticeable for someone like me who never notices differences in FPS?
Considering this is the first time I will play the same game in both 30fps and 60fps.

I really want to be able to notice a positive difference with all the hype around here :(

Once you go 60, you can never go back. The feedback lag is enough to make you switch back to 60.

Then just keep changing back from 30fps to 60fps. Play it for a good 10 minutes at 30fps, then change it and you should be able to instantly tell the difference. Or try this:

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Stare at the 30fps cube only for 10 seconds or so, then do the same for the 60fps cube. If you can't tell the difference....my condolences.

I don't understand how someone can't see the difference, I imagine you must be seeing it and just not knowing what to look for or something. However, this game has a 30fps cap option, so you can flick back and forth and see if you can tell the difference.

Regardless the IQ has seen a fine boost.

It appears my eyes are not as discerning as yours, sadly. I have 20/20 vision, too. Maybe I just don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for as you said.
Hope I see the difference here.

GravyButt

Then just keep changing back from 30fps to 60fps. Play it for a good 10 minutes at 30fps, then change it and you should be able to instantly tell the difference. Or try this:

Stare at the 30fps cube only for 10 seconds or so, then do the same for the 60fps cube. If you can't tell the difference....my condolences.

Just out of curiosity, and off topic, but ive become epileptic from a brain injury, do you think I would fair better at 30 fps or 60 fps. Video games really bug me now a days, but im slowly increasing my tolerance time on it.

Sort of afraid to click the link and try to figure it out myself haha.

GavinUK86

More like congratulations. If you can't tell the difference between framerates yet have 20/20 vision then you'll never have the issues that most gamers have lol.

AKyemeni

Something I forgot to mention:

I am level 380 in TLOU on PS3, so I don't know the exact criteria, but when I logged on to the multiplayer, I was instantly awarded 1000 supplies and 2 extra loadout points to start.

Just out of curiosity, and off topic, but ive become epileptic from a brain injury, do you think I would fair better at 30 fps or 60 fps. Video games really bug me now a days, but im slowly increasing my tolerance time on it.

I would guess 60fps would be better for you due to the less juddery motion of 60fps.

Something I forgot to mention:

I am level 380 in TLOU on PS3, so I don't know the exact criteria, but when I logged on to the multiplayer, I was instantly awarded 1000 supplies and 2 extra loadout points to start.

Yeah I think in that arne interview he said they will detect if you played the PS3 MP and give you a bonus if you played it.

Palocca

Thanks man! The part in bold was my main concern. Grounded difficulty does not allow for as much flexibility in the encounters then? If not then hard with no listen seems to be the way to go.

Yeah, Grounded really didn't give me a lot of supplies, so I resorted to sneaking and melee takedowns. I appreciate it though because otherwise, I would've never known that you could sneak past a lot of areas without killing anyone/anything at all.

-griffy-

Banned
It appears my eyes are not as discerning as yours, sadly. I have 20/20 vision, too. Maybe I just don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for as you said.
Hope I see the difference here.

It's not really a matter of the image looking different, or better eye sight helping, it's not like things are sharper or anything like that, you aren't looking for something like better textures or better "graphics." It's entirely about motion, motion looks smoother. A character walking across the screen will look more fluid since you are seeing more frames of animation per second as they move.
Any clue what the patch may entail?

We know for certain the patch adds an Infamous: Second Son-like photo mode, as well as adding the full length making of documentary to the extras menu.

tskeeve

60fps is smoother, so it may have less of a judder-y feel to it which could help...but on the other hand, 60fps also 'feels' faster, so if video game speed is what causes you issues, you could try 30fps.

daveo42

Banned
Can you tell the difference here? or here?

I think most people are aware of the difference when they actually focus on the framerate itself, but it might not be nearly as apparent in the middle of an active game where your focus is split between several different areas of the screen at the same time.

I really don't notice dips all that much, but 60fps seems way more buttery smooth and it way more noticeable when I can step back from the game itself and appreciate it.

It's not really a matter of the image looking different, or better eye sight helping, it's not like things are sharper or anything like that, you aren't looking for something like better textures or better "graphics." It's entirely about motion, motion looks smoother. A character walking across the screen will look more fluid since you are seeing more frames of animation per second as they move.

We know for certain the patch adds an Infamous: Second Son-like photo mode, as well as adding the full length making of documentary to the extras menu.

Yeah, that makes sense.
I looked at the cubes. I instantly noticed the difference between the 15 fps and the 30 fps one. Also between the 30 and 60 fps one, but not as quickly.

Hope it does improve the game for me when I play it, as much as it does for you guys.

AKyemeni

I think most people are aware of the difference when they actually focus on the framerate itself, but it might not be nearly as apparent in the middle of an active game where your focus is split between several different areas of the screen at the same time.

I really don't notice dips all that much, but 60fps seems way more buttery smooth and it way more noticeable when I can step back from the game itself and appreciate it.

Actually, you do notice it in the middle of gameplay because the controls become more responsive and the game actually does what you actually tell it to do without delay.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well then, crisis averted. Looks like it IS in the game just, perhaps, a bit toned down. It appears to be absent from the intro, though, which might be due to the huge crowds (adding blur to everything would be expensive I'm sure).
As I was thinking - it has to be toned down (or at least it logically should be). Using same amount of motion blur at 30 and 60FPS makes no sense in terms of real world appearance.

Does anyone know the reason why this isn't available for pre load? I see games releasing the 27th of July thag are pre load eligible but not a huge release like this? Makes no sense!

-griffy-

Banned
Yeah, that makes sense.
I looked at the cubes. I instantly noticed the difference between the 15 fps and the 30 fps one. Also between the 30 and 60 fps one, but not as quickly.

Hope it does improve the game for me when I play it, as much as it does for you guys.

Even if you don't perceive it visually, it should make the game play better, the controls more responsive, since it is updating your controller input 60 times per second as well instead of 30. So say you start running forward in 30 frames per second, but it happens between frames, then you wait until the game refreshes the next frame before your character starts to move on screen. At 60fps there would be an extra frame between those two so character movement is simply more responsive.

Does anyone know the reason why this isn't available for pre load? I see games releasing the 27th of July thag are pre load eligible but not a huge release like this? Makes no sense!

Because the game was available for pre-order before they "turned on" on the pre-load infrastructure, and however their system is set up means this game misses out.

antitrop

Even if you don't perceive it visually, it should make the game play better, the controls more responsive, since it is updating your controller input 60 times per second as well instead of 30. So say you start running forward in 30 frames per second, but it happens between frames, then you wait until the game refreshes the next frame before your character starts to move on screen. At 60fps there would be an extra frame between those two so character movement is simply more responsive.

There are people that deny this. FPS denialists!

Can you start at a higher difficulty, like grounded or hard without a first finish this time. I'd really rather just jump in at the max.

daveo42

Banned
Actually, you do notice it in the middle of gameplay because the controls become more responsive and the game actually does what you actually tell it to do without delay.

Visually I have a harder time seeing the difference during gameplay. Not talking about feeling the difference in controller input.

Top Bottom