• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Louis010

Banned
Wow, what a U turn this game has made for me. I have just got to fall and now i can safely say this game is my GOTY. It started clicking as soon as i got to Bills town, i started enjoying the new characters, Ellie has become less and less annoying and i don't even hate Joel that much now.

The part that's sealed it for me was
Ish's notes and the whole sewer section. It just builds this entire story about people you will never meet, showing the rise and fall of their colony. I was actually rooting for Ish, a character i didn't even meet, only hearing what happened through notes.
No game ever has done this to me through just notes you don't even need to collect.

Im still not a fan of the controls, i find them sluggish at the best of times, but this is true with most third person shooters IMO. I do still believe Boston was awful until Bills town, i didn't enjoy any of it and i am not looking forward to replaying it at all. I also believe it was bad game design to put the hardest encounter in the game (so far for me at least, im only at fall remember) as pretty much the first major one with infected (the 4 runners and the clicker, with no equipment and no clue what to do at this point). It too me 15+ attempts and i was close to just going NOPE and uninstalling. Problem is this part was so much harder than everything else and now im finding the game way too easy and wishing i started the game on hard.

Im so glad the game clicked and i pushed through the poor parts of the game because its just getting better and better, I feel really bad for slamming the game earlier now. Im really looking forward to replaying on survivor once i have completed it on medium.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
^ Glad you stuck with it, I definitely think it gets better as it goes. I enjoyed the game from beginning to end, but the Boston area is a slow burner for sure.

Also, if you feel it's getting too easy/hard, you can change the difficulty at any time in the pause menu. The most noticeable difference is the frequency of crafting supplies. Most people agree that Hard Mode (maybe with listen mode turned off) is the ideal balance for a first time playthrough.

I'm loving this game. I too wasn't quite sure what to make of it while I was in Boston. I'm playing on Hard and once I really grasped how to move and fight is when it really took off for me. Before that I died more than I probably care to admit but at the same time I never felt like the game was being unfair about it. Every time I died it was because I fucked up, not because the game was being "cheap" or something. The combat feels so brutal. I think this is one of the few games where I've actually grimaced at the deaths of NPCs.

And the cut scenes and VO are simply perfect. There are times that I wished instead of taking over and controlling the characters that I could just sit back and watch more of those amazing cinematics. The ones with Henry and Sam probably stood out the most to me. It felt... I don't know, real I guess. Such a great game. So glad I waited for the Remastered edition. I've just gotten to the University and I don't know how much I have left but damn if I don't want it to end.

Got the game with the ps4 bundle. Really enjoying the gameplay. Particularly like clearing a room and leaving one enemy behind and finishing them off with a rushed melee attack. The combat is very satisfying.

And wow the difference between 30fps and 60fps is staggering. 30Fps is unplayable to me.

Also question is that strangle button contexual because sometimes when i press it Joel does a curb stomp instead and makes too much noise.

HiiiLife

Has anyone had experience with the feature that let's you broadcast your entire parties audio? I've been trying to save the clip but it seems to only save my own voice even when they have the feature enabled as well. Guess it only works for broadcasting itself. Lame.

DonMigs85

Got the game with the ps4 bundle. Really enjoying the gameplay. Particularly like clearing a room and leaving one enemy behind and finishing them off with a rushed melee attack. The combat is very satisfying.

And wow the difference between 30fps and 60fps is staggering. 30Fps is unplayable to me.

Also question is that strangle button contexual because sometimes when i press it Joel does a curb stomp instead and makes too much noise.

If there's only one enemy left in the area he does that.

Dreaver

Oops: was meant for multiplayer thread. Might drop it here as well: would love some EU people to play with (PS4). PSN: Dreav3rr

Anyway, really enjoying the single player. They really nailed the atmosphere and characters.

painey

I don't have the PS4 version, but I got given a PS3 this month and have finally got my hands on this game. After beating U3 yesterday, which I loved, but thought was VERY overly similar to U2, I got cracking on this. I'm only 2 hours in, but LOVING it. I am fatigued already by 'Uncharted Treasure Syndrome' which is annoying, though (walking to every corner of every new room/map to find a hidden treasure)

Well I finished it yesterday and all I can say is: Bravo. That was truly the most engaging story I've ever come across in a game. Even my fiance, who detests any game that's not Candy Crush, was on the edge of her seat during the last hour. She never ever watches me play anything but she was hooked from the opening scene. If that's not a testament to the characters and story than I have no idea what would be.

After I finished I immediately started with Left Behind. I only got to the point where
they're in the mall playing in the Halloween store
, but I can't wait to find out what's ahead. If it's anywhere near as good as the main story then clearly Naughty Dog is in a league of their own when it comes to story telling.

Hi guys. I'm new here. First post and all. I had a quick question - I just started this game the other day, and I'm curious how far into it I am. I just...
ran through Lincoln High School with Bill and Ellie and we found the car and battery,

Thanks in advance for any answers! Loving this game by the way.

someday

Banned
Hi guys. I'm new here. First post and all. I had a quick question - I just started this game the other day, and I'm curious how far into it I am. I just...
ran through Lincoln High School with Bill and Ellie and we found the car and battery,

Thanks in advance for any answers! Loving this game by the way.
I think you're still in the first third of the game. Someone else may have a more exact timeline but you have a lot of great stuff to come. Have fun!

foxdvd

So far, Survivor was the most incredible balance between item management, surviving, difficulty etc. and my favourite run by far.

Grounded for me put this game into top of all time level. I have never been so involved in a game in my life. I think I had already played the game 6 times before my final grounded run, but honestly I loved every second of it. I felt that only the elevator fight with Ellie to be maybe a bit unfair getting there with 1 arrow.

Loxley

So, I finally got around to playing this game (as well as Left Behind) thanks to the Remastered version.

Guys...this is one of the best games I've ever played. I say that without hesitation. I mean, good lord. I'm still processing all of it (literally finished Left Behind about 30 minutes go), but I can safely say that TLOU deserves every bit of praise it has received. Left Behind just sealed the deal - what an utterly fantastic piece of DLC (and I had a feeling *that* is where they were going with Ellie's character). Last year, when people were saying that there had never been a game like this before, I figured it was just typical internet gamer hyperbole. Nope, TLOU shows just how far games have come as an artistic medium.

Up until TLOU, I wasn't the biggest fan of Naughty Dog's recent output. While I had fun with Uncharted 2, that whole series represents everything I didn't like about last-gen AAA game design (highly scripted and linear). So last year I was all about GTAV sweeping the annual GOTY awards (I love open-world "do what you want" games). Funny thing is I also recently played GTAV on PS4, and having played both of these games now, The Last of Us is the superior game far and away. I still love GTAV and the ways Rockstar freshened up the gameplay from GTAIV, but TLOU is just something special.

I may give the multiplayer a shot, but for now I just need to let all this gestate. What an experience.

Heh nice seeing all these new people experiencing it.

Wow, what a U turn this game has made for me. I have just got to fall and now i can safely say this game is my GOTY. It started clicking as soon as i got to Bills town, i started enjoying the new characters, Ellie has become less and less annoying and i don't even hate Joel that much now.

Ish's notes and the whole sewer section. It just builds this entire story about people you will never meet, showing the rise and fall of their colony. I was actually rooting for Ish, a character i didn't even meet, only hearing what happened through notes.
No game ever has done this to me through just notes you don't even need to collect.

Im still not a fan of the controls, i find them sluggish at the best of times, but this is true with most third person shooters IMO. I do still believe Boston was awful until Bills town, i didn't enjoy any of it and i am not looking forward to replaying it at all. I also believe it was bad game design to put the hardest encounter in the game (so far for me at least, im only at fall remember) as pretty much the first major one with infected (the 4 runners and the clicker, with no equipment and no clue what to do at this point). It too me 15+ attempts and i was close to just going NOPE and uninstalling. Problem is this part was so much harder than everything else and now im finding the game way too easy and wishing i started the game on hard.

Im so glad the game clicked and i pushed through the poor parts of the game because its just getting better and better, I feel really bad for slamming the game earlier now. Im really looking forward to replaying on survivor once i have completed it on medium.

Boston section is pretty much a tutorial. For the first playthrough its good to get used to the fine tuning of the gameplay and the controls. For your earlier complaint about the shooting, I think this is intentional, make sure you upgraded Joel's aiming stability from the get go.

Also, Only at fall? Bail out, keep playing, then report back when your done!

Raptor

So, I finally got around to playing this game (as well as Left Behind) thanks to the Remastered version.

Guys...this is one of the best games I've ever played. I say that without hesitation. I mean, good lord. I'm still processing all of it (literally finished Left Behind about 30 minutes go), but I can safely say that TLOU deserves every bit of praise it has received. Left Behind just sealed the deal - what an utterly fantastic piece of DLC (and I had a feeling *that* is where they were going with Ellie's character). Last year, when people were saying that there had never been a game like this before, I figured it was just typical internet gamer hyperbole. Nope, TLOU shows just how far games have come as an artistic medium.

Up until TLOU, I wasn't the biggest fan of Naughty Dog's recent output. While I had fun with Uncharted 2, that whole series represents everything I didn't like about last-gen AAA game design (highly scripted and linear). So last year I was all about GTAV sweeping the annual GOTY awards (I love open-world "do what you want" games). Funny thing is I also recently played GTAV on PS4, and having played both of these games now, The Last of Us is the superior game far and away. I still love GTAV and the ways Rockstar freshened up the gameplay from GTAIV, but TLOU is just something special.

I may give the multiplayer a shot, but for now I just need to let all this gestate. What an experience.

Awesome man!!

For me is TLOU and then everything else, I will buy it again because I miss it to much, never happened to me before with any game.

So yeah I will buy this game a second time lol but now digitally so it can stay forever mine.

Arondight

Just finished the main campaign on TLOU. I'm going to admit straight up that I went easy mode. I don't know how you guys manage it but this was one incredibly hard game for me. Bloaters scared the hell out of me.

I thought summer was a bit long and the rest of the chapters were kind of short.
Playing as Ellie was very fun and there's actually a noticable difference between the two mechanically as well.

At the end, I really liked what Joel said at the end about finding something to fight for. I think it's a nice reoccuring thing you see. Tommy being the best case fighting for something for the better and Fireflies who are basically in over their heads IMO and are now on the brink of annihilation.

David was creepy as hell even before you realize he's a cannibal.

Overall an excellent game. Also tried remote play a lot and I kind of wish the R2,L2 button was the shoulder buttons on vita.

Going to play the DLC soon.

RedAssedApe

Banned
My friend just texted me this:

"she reminds me of a female Carl (TWD)"

wanted to slap him. lol note that he's only watched the tv show (i hear the character is better in the comics). but i guess i'll cut him some slack because he just got ellie.

DonMigs85

10257686_577730059026579_5029080672781761603_n.jpg

psychotron

Just finished the main campaign on TLOU. I'm going to admit straight up that I went easy mode. I don't know how you guys manage it but this was one incredibly hard game for me. Bloaters scared the hell out of me.

I thought summer was a bit long and the rest of the chapters were kind of short.
Playing as Ellie was very fun and there's actually a noticable difference between the two mechanically as well.

At the end, I really liked what Joel said at the end about finding something to fight for. I think it's a nice reoccuring thing you see. Tommy being the best case fighting for something for the better and Fireflies who are basically in over their heads IMO and are now on the brink of annihilation.

David was creepy as hell even before you realize he's a cannibal.

Overall an excellent game. Also tried remote play a lot and I kind of wish the R2,L2 button was the shoulder buttons on vita.

Going to play the DLC soon.

Be a man and beat it on Grounded. One of my proudest trophies to have. In all seriousness, it's a great change from the lower difficulties. Rather than just make the game a pain in the ass, it changes the way you play, making it all fresh.

Raptor

LBP Joel avatar baby!!

So cute!

Printed my Collectible guide, I will delete my save so I can start fresh, the last time colletcibles got bugged and couldnt get my trophy.

MattyG

Banned
Is there a slight film grain that I never noticed before, or am I going crazy? I thought it was my new TV doing it, but I put in LBP3 and COD: AW and there's no grain in them. Even going into photo mode stops in, but during gameplay it's there, especially in the dark areas like the first clicker encounter. Anyone else notice this?

phierce

Any of you have an issue with the disk not reading/loading?

I've put in about 12 hours of so with no issues at all. However, just now when I was trying to load up the game to play some more, it just sits at the black intro screen (with Joel and Ellie standing there) and won't go any further.

Any ideas/fixes/help?

Edit: I tried deleting and reinstalling from the disk. Still wont load. Other games load just fine.
Edit 2: Well, after trying it at least 30 times, it finally loaded. I've since quit out a few times just to check it and it seems fine now. WTF?!

DonMigs85

Is there a slight film grain that I never noticed before, or am I going crazy? I thought it was my new TV doing it, but I put in LBP3 and COD: AW and there's no grain in them. Even going into photo mode stops in, but during gameplay it's there, especially in the dark areas like the first clicker encounter. Anyone else notice this?

nothing like that for me. Are you using a plasma tv? Does it show up if you take a screenshot?

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Does the weird gamma bug (washed out darkness, so damn gray) ever resolve itself? Considered starting over to see if it remedied it. Started around the downdown area or just before, so really early in.

Such a bummer as it looks terrible like this.

DonMigs85

Does the weird gamma bug (washed out darkness, so damn gray) ever resolve itself? Considered starting over to see if it remedied it. Started around the downdown area or just before, so really early in.

Probably just need to adjust the black level setting on your TV or ps4

JP

Bottles or bricks? What do people go for and does it actually make any difference? I ask because I always get a bottle whenever I can and I don't really know why.

DonMigs85

Bottles or bricks? What do people go for and does it actually make any difference? I ask because I always get a bottle whenever I can and I don't really know why.

Bottles seem to be better at distracting since they make a louder noise, but bricks can bash in enemies' heads.

JP

Bricks can kill clickers
Bottles seem to be better at distracting since they make a louder noise, but bricks can bash in enemies' heads.
This is how I decide too.
Distraction=bottles.
Killing=bricks.
#TeamBrick4Life
Bricks are vicious, I love them.

Thanks forgot that I asked this.

Not far from finishing my New Game Plus game, when I have can freely go in and out of different chapters via Chapter Select to get any missed shiv doors, firefly emblems, etc? What I mean is if I was to say select Chapter 3, pick up the stuff I need does the save that I make still give me the option to then choose Chapter 2, Chapter 1?

EDIT:
In answer to my question, yes you can keep the same save and just pop in and out of different chapters picking up the items you need.

mjp2417

Banned

Late reply, but it only affects that one downtown area (it starts in a sewer pipe and ends when you are leaving the subway). Never comes back for the rest of the game. The only fix I discovered is to set RGB to Full on your PS4 and set your TV RGB settings to Limited. Also, at least on my setup, I couldn't fix this while running HDMI though my receiver; I needed to connect HDMI to my TV directly and run audio to my receiver via optical. Kind of a pain in the ass and I wish Naughty Dog would finally fix this as it is otherwise a stunning looking game.

Oxn

Im doing a 2nd easy run. Once I complete this might try grounded. Easy is just to get me use to the mechanics again and to go through the story.

I did it on the PS3 back in August, and I enjoyed it so much Im doing it again. I almost never replay games, so this is a real testament to its greatness.

theeraser

I love the multiplayer in this game, but wow -- the team balancing is absolutely horrible. I'm just starting out, and far too many times have I gotten paired-up with levels 0-3 while the other team is nothing but levels 100+.

I'm playing in the "no parties" pool, too. It's ridiculous.

JP

I'm beginning to think that I'm addicted to this game, on my third playthrough of the main game to finish off the "I want to talk about it" and "Master of Unlocking" trophies and I'll then have done all the collectibles stuff.

Will leave it for a bit then before finishing of the skill level stuff which will let me play it for fun again. Not even looked at the multiplayer stuff yet, don't often bother with multiplayer stuff.

DonMigs85

Will leave it for a bit then before finishing of the skill level stuff which will let me play it for fun again. Not even looked at the multiplayer stuff yet, don't often bother with multiplayer stuff.

A necessary evil for the Platinum

JP

A necessary evil for the Platinum
i know, I'm not sure if I can be bothered to get it and the trophy in itself isn't enough reason for me to do something. having watched some videos of the multiplayer it actually seems pretty interesting but looking at the multiplayer trophy descriptions they sound like a they're going to take a lot of time to earn them.

I may give the multiplayer a go as there's a chance that I'll enjoy it.

chunk3rvd

Looking at getting this game off U.S. PSN since it's dirt cheap. I hear the U.S. version is uncensored compared to the European version. Does this mean the multiplayer is region locked? Can I play with my EU friends while on the U.S. version?

I loved seeing you post this, I'm glad you stuck to it.

TheBoss1

This is my first time playing through the game and I'm getting my ass handed to me on Grounded Mode. I die all the time from the infected, especially the clickers. It's so hard to time those hits against the clickers and they are insta-kill within arms reach. Any tips I could use, except lowering the difficulty?

Please, NO SPOILERS!

Rajang

This is my first time playing through the game and I'm getting my ass handed to me on Grounded Mode. I die all the time from the infected, especially the clickers. It's so hard to time those hits against the clickers and they are insta-kill within arms reach. Any tips I could use, except lowering the difficulty?

Please, NO SPOILERS!

Already replied to you in Metal Gear topic, but here are some tips

Throw a brick/bottle at an infected, then run up to them and hit them with a melee weapon = insta kill (yep even clickers)

You can use this trick without a melee weapon but it will only insta kill humans.

You can use bricks to kill runners and even clickers. I always use bricks to kill sleeping clickers. Just sneak up on them while holding a brick and spam the square button. But be warned, this makes alot of noise and will alert infected in the area. And there is also a chance the brick will break on the first hit. You need 3 hits to kill a clicker.

Dont use shivs to kill clickers. Save them to open "shiv doors" they have useful supplies like ammo/parts/upgrades. Use bricks/melee weapon to kill clickers.

TheBoss1

Already replied to you in Metal Gear topic, but here are some tips

Throw a brick/bottle at an infected, then run up to them and hit them with a melee weapon = insta kill (yep even clickers)

You can use this trick without a melee weapon but it will only insta kill humans.

You can use bricks to kill runners and even clickers. I always use bricks to kill sleeping clickers. Just sneak up on them while holding a brick and spam the square button. But be warned, this makes alot of noise and will alert infected in the area. And there is also a chance the brick will break on the first hit. You need 3 hits to kill a clicker.

Dont use shivs to kill clickers. Save them to open "shiv doors" they have useful supplies like ammo/parts/upgrades. Use bricks/melee weapon to kill clickers.

Thanks! Right now, all I have is 2 bullets and a molotov and fighting a swarm of infected
in the sewers with the black guy while the two kids try to get the door open from the other side
. It's a lot of them and one molotov isn't enough for the amount that's spawning. Idk how I will get through this section now. T_T

Rajang

Thanks! Right now, all I have is 2 bullets and a molotov and fighting a swarm of infected
in the sewers with the black guy while the two kids try to get the door open from the other side
. It's a lot of them and one molotov isn't enough for the amount that's spawning. Idk how I will get through this section now. T_T

Do you have a smoke bomb?

You have a little time before they start swarming the area where you are trying to open the door. Hide behind the wall near the locker and throw a well placed smoke grenade in the distance (near the vending machine and desk). This will make the infected stop and wait around in the smoke. The moment they start moving throw the molotov into the group of enemies and run to the door, shoot the infected that come close and keep pressing triangle in between (with your back to the door) so you instantly trigger the cutscene if the door is opened.

Here is a video that shows this strat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7wU8yggQPM#t=8347
Don't worry, no spoilers, the part I'm showing is the section that you're stuck at.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Do you have a smoke bomb?

You have a little time before they start swarming the area where you are trying to open the door. Hide behind the wall near the locker and throw a well placed smoke grenade in the distance (near the vending machine and desk). This will make the infected stop and wait around in the smoke. The moment they start moving throw the molotov into the group of enemies and run to the door, shoot the infected that come close and keep pressing triangle in between (with your back to the door) so you instantly trigger the cutscene if the door is opened.

Here is a video that shows this strat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7wU8yggQPM#t=8347
Don't worry, no spoilers, the part I'm showing is the section that you're stuck at.

yeah, the smoke bomb is one of the most effective items you can craft. It is absolutely essential for grounded.

Top Bottom