• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This is my first time playing through the game and I'm getting my ass handed to me on Grounded Mode. I die all the time from the infected, especially the clickers. It's so hard to time those hits against the clickers and they are insta-kill within arms reach. Any tips I could use, except lowering the difficulty?

Please, NO SPOILERS!

If you get stuck here is an excellent walkthrough to follow for tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBEfTnnsDPo

Seriously, he will show you some ridiculously easy methods to get through areas that would otherwise nightmarish.

Lothar

Banned
What's the best way to show someone the game's story who isn't interested in the game parts? Has anyone done that? I know a bunch of people who aren't gamers but whose favorite television show is Walking Dead. This is a better zombie story than that.

Could it be this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r-zvVMZeP4 Looks like the best available on youtube but it's missing the scene where you first meet Bill.

Some in the comments are complaining that it's only 30 FPS (I have no idea what difference that even makes)

TheBoss1

Thanks guys! I watched one of the videos you guys sent and I immediately felt guilty for looking the easy way out, so I'll only use the tips provided now lol.

Quick Q: What's the difference between The regular difficulties and the "+" ones? Do they unlock after I beat the game once?

theaface

Quick Q: What's the difference between The regular difficulties and the "+" ones? Do they unlock after I beat the game once?

It indicates New Game Plus - you can replay a difficulty that you've already cleared and all your upgrades carry over. There is a well known exploit that allows you to play higher difficulties in NG+ even if you haven't cleared them normally (e.g. beat the game on Easy and then play Survivor with all your upgrades). Check trophy sites if you want to know how to do it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Noob question: Do I need to clear out most/all of the shiv doors to get enough materials to fully upgrade everything?

If you are playing on the higher difficulties then opening the Shiv doors is pretty much a must since you will be stretched so thin for supplies.

TraBuch

Banned
I'm down to two single-player trophies, the conversation one and the joke book one. Do I need to listen to all of this during one playthrough, or can I just use the chapter select to go back and listen to the stuff I missed?

ascii42

I've been trying to turn on the commentary for the first playthrough, since I've already played it to completion on every difficulty (aside from easy) on the PS3.
I play the first chapter, go to main menu, go to bonuses and turn commentary on, but when I start a new game, there is no commentary during the cutscenes. I thought maybe I had to try chapter select rather than new game and pick the opening chapter, but it skips over the starting cutscene and it takes a while before the first cutscene.

What exactly am I supposed to do? Hope it's not 'rewatch cutscenes with commentary after completion' only.

You select the scenes in the menu where you turned commentary on. They get added to the list after you see them in game.

Finally beat my grounded playthrough! Apart from a few questionably placed checkpoints, the difficulty was amazing and much needed in my opinion as survivor wasn't quite hard enough for me. Grounded brings out the best in the combat, by taking everything that makes it good and just ratcheting up the tension.

TheBoss1

Finally beat my grounded playthrough! Apart from a few questionably placed checkpoints, the difficulty was amazing and much needed in my opinion as survivor wasn't quite hard enough for me. Grounded brings out the best in the combat, by taking everything that makes it good and just ratcheting up the tension.
I agree even though I never tried any other difficult. Grounded was very difficult. Idk if this or MGS2 European Extreme is harder.

I agree even though I never tried any other difficult. Grounded was very difficult. Idk if this or MGS2 European Extreme is harder.

Grounded on a first run is a bold move haha. I definitely could have handled survivor my first time through, as hard was a touch to easy, but grounded worked best for me after having beaten it a couple times. It also showed how versatile the level and encounter design is, as I played through them in significantly different ways than on the lower difficulties.

TheBoss1

Grounded on a first run is a bold move haha. I definitely could have handled survivor my first time through, as hard was a touch to easy, but grounded worked best for me after having beaten it a couple times. It also showed how versatile the level and encounter design is, as I played through them in significantly different ways than on the lower difficulties.

Yeah I always go for the hardest level of play available in every game.

I can only speak for ground difficulty but the randomly changing patrol when they're searching for you increases the tension big time. Those damn infected are hard to get by when it's runners, stalkers, and clickers in one area.

I can only speak for ground difficulty but the randomly changing patrol when they're searching for you increases the tension big time. Those damn infected are hard to get by when it's runners, stalkers, and clickers in one area.

Yeah, the final infected area in the game was really tough but I managed to sneak through it without alerting any

TheBoss1

TheBoss1 did you finish the game?

How did you like it?
Yes and Yes. It is an amazing game!
Yeah, the final infected area in the game was really tough but I managed to sneak through it without alerting any
Is that the area with the
3 stage-4
infected? I managed to sneak through without getting detected at all. I find the
sewers with the black kid
to be more difficult even without the
stage-4 infected
presence.

Is that the area with the
3 stage-4
infected? I managed to sneak through without getting detected at all. I find the
sewers with the black kid
to be more difficult even without the
stage-4 infected
presence.

Yeah, that was the one. Oh yeah the
sewer section with the stalkers
was for sure one of the biggest difficulty spikes in the game. I thought the hardest infected encounter though was the
two part defense scenario in winter

TheBoss1

Playing through on Grounded,i'm at the part where you find the first molotov but its not like its really difficult, its more the lack of a listen mode which i'm struggling with. Might have to switch the difficulty down to survivor/hard.

Also does anyone know what the plus means next to the difficulties on the trophies?

like 'Survivor+' ?
It indicates New Game Plus - you can replay a difficulty that you've already cleared and all your upgrades carry over. There is a well known exploit that allows you to play higher difficulties in NG+ even if you haven't cleared them normally (e.g. beat the game on Easy and then play Survivor with all your upgrades). Check trophy sites if you want to know how to do it.
Yeah, that was the one. Oh yeah the
sewer section with the stalkers
was for sure one of the biggest difficulty spikes in the game. I thought the hardest infected encounter though was the
two part defense scenario in winter
I agree on the last spoiler. Those 2 sections took me hours to beat and I thought I would never get past them due to lack of ammo/weapons and other supplies lol

tioslash

Hi there, I know this is not a tech forum, but I searched around and could not find any help, so maybe someone here can help me. I just recently started playing TLOU on the PS4 and I´m experiencing some weird issue.

The issue in question is demonstrated here in this short video http://videobam.com/nYBHx (not the greatest quality, and also not mine). That black trail, blur, smudge coming off of Tess whenever the camera is panning. It happens when moving the camera while looking at any NPC´s. It´s not THAT extreme here on my setup, but definitely similar.

I´m using a 46'' LED TV, and tried changing every possible setting to no effect. There is a person on another forum saying he tested the game on 3 different panels, including a high-end ASUS monitor and on all 3 the same thing happens.

Does anybody here noticed this while playing it? Thanks for any insight.

Sothpaw

I just beat both the main game and dlc for the first time (hard difficulty). Now I have played through all three Uncharted games (because I just had to see what all the hype was about) and imo they are all shit. This game though is amazing. Just going through scenarios trying to use as few resources as possible was so much fun. Joel is a real shit-kicker and I loved his character.

I didn't like the DLC much, aside from the final scenario protecting Joel which was great. Watching two teenage girls hang out in a mall though is about the last way I want to spend my time.

Can't wait for the sequel and hopefully get to kick more ass as Joel again.

Staal

In the last two play sessions, the game crashed to the PS4 main menu. Are there still known bugs with this game on PS4?

Gold Member
I never had any crashes at all, but I havent played it since summer so there could have been a patch that screwed it up. I'd try a database rebuild if the problem persists, followed by a reinstall if that didn't work.

Sorry I can't be more help than that :(

Moozo

Does anyone know if UK save files are compatible with the US version?

I've lost the disc from my UK physical copy (yeah... I don't know either), and it's dead cheap to download from the US. Will my SP saves work?

BraXzy

I'm about to start my first play through ever. I have been waiting a long time for this game and this has a lot to live up to with hype!

What difficulty should I go for? I want the best first experience. I've heard Hard mode with Listen turned off?

I'm about to start my first play through ever. I have been waiting a long time for this game and this has a lot to live up to with hype!

What difficulty should I go for? I want the best first experience. I've heard Hard mode with Listen turned off?

yup if your confidant in your gaming abilities that's the way to go. otherwise I would just do normal to get through the story without any detractions

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished it on PS4 after not playing it on PS3. What an experience, I can't remember the last time I got actual feels from a game, I cared about the characters which is so rare.

Tizoc

I have the EU ver. of Last of Us on PS4.
I'm considering getting Left Behind Stand alone off US PSN, are there any save data bonuses or the like that I'd miss out on if I got that ver. of Left Behind?

Raptor

Any good tips for Grounded?

Like Im not using guns only in extreme situations and only when there is no other choice, stealth is the only way right? I mean Im at the apartment with Ellie and I only have like 3 bullets lol.

Impulsor

Sorry to bump this, but I'd like to know something.

This version had some missing graphical effects right? Like the wrinkles on the clothes and the wet clothes effect? I maybe wrong, but thats what I remember.

Has that been fixed? or did it stay as it was at launch?

Rajang

Sorry to bump this, but I'd like to know something.

This version had some missing graphical effects right? Like the wrinkles on the clothes and the wet clothes effect? I maybe wrong, but thats what I remember.

Has that been fixed? or did it stay as it was at launch?

I have never heard of this before? Where are you getting that info from?

Remastered is pretty much a 1:1 port but in 1080p and in 60 fps. Even stuff like the draw distance is the same.

danmaku

So... I just beat the game on hard, do I get something different if I play new game+ (like extra chapters, different endings, etc.) or is it just the same? I'd rather replay the game on survivor if the only difference in ng+ is keeping my upgrades. Also, are there multiple endings? During the last chapter I had the impression I could choose what to do
when Joel shoots the doctor
but maybe I'm wrong.

Dreez

I mustered up some courage to get past Sewers on Grounded after a long break. Wow, the Dam is totally different on this difficulty. Also the bow is much more valuable.

Edit: still a fun game to play through

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I mustered up some courage to get past Sewers on Grounded after a long break. Wow, the Dam is totally different on this difficulty. Also the bow is much more valuable.

Edit: still a fun game to play through

Yes, the bow should be the go to weapon on Grounded.

I've read, although I dont know if it was ever proven, that the arrows have much less of a chance of breaking on grounded.

In my experience that seemed to be the case.

I'm planning to buy this game next week but doing some research I found a lot of complains from last year about bugs, including trophy bugs. Did they fix it or is the game "full of bugs"?.

theaface

I'm planning to buy this game next week but doing some research I found a lot of complains from last year about bugs, including trophy bugs. Did they fix it or is the game "full of bugs"?.

It's one of the most bug-free games I've played in a long time, both on PS3 and PS4. Can't recall having any issues at all, through multiple SP playthroughs and also a lot of time on the MP modes as well.

I'm just revisiting the game at the moment to get the Grounded trophies. I realised I loved it so much I wanted to get every single trophy. I've completed the
cabin
section already, so I feel like the worst of it is behind me.

It's one of the most bug-free games I've played in a long time, both on PS3 and PS4. Can't recall having any issues at all, through multiple SP playthroughs and also a lot of time on the MP modes as well.

I'm just revisiting the game at the moment to get the Grounded trophies. I realised I loved it so much I wanted to get every single trophy. I've completed the
cabin
section already, so I feel like the worst of it is behind me.

Thanks.

Darksol

I never found the game buggy or glitchy, and I played it from day one on PS3. I had no issues with the PS4 version either.

Just buy the game ^_^

So I got to the point where I
talked with Bill and just left his church
. Have I more or less seen what this game has to offer more or less?

BYE7Y4L.jpg

Can someone tell me what the deal is here? This confuses the living shit out me. Do I not have the required items to craft a shiv? This also seems to happen for every other crafting item in the game. Frustrates the hell out of me.

edit: both parts are highlighted in white

Top Bottom