• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

Melchiah

BYE7Y4L.jpg

Can someone tell me what the deal is here? This confuses the living shit out me. Do I not have the required items to craft a shiv? This also seems to happen for every other crafting item in the game. Frustrates the hell out of me.

No. Not enough blade parts, but you have enough bindings for one. You need both. The coloring, and whether the circle is full or not should be clear signs. You seem to have two shivs already though, so why the immediate need for a third?

No. Not enough blade parts, but you have enough bindings for one. You need both. The coloring, and whether the circle is full or not should be clear signs. You seem to have two shivs already though, so why the immediate need for a third?
The blade part is actually highlighted in white. In fact, both parts required for the blade are highlighted in white (perhaps the pic quality makes that difficult to discern).

And I used both shivs in combat, but still nothing. Can't craft a new one. Very strange.

Melchiah

The blade part is actually highlighted in white. In fact, both parts required for the blade are highlighted in white (perhaps the pic quality makes that difficult to discern).

And I used both shivs in combat, but still nothing. Can't craft a new one. Very strange.

It's been a while since I've played the game, but doesn't the red on the blade part signal that there isn't enough? IIRC, you need four parts to fill the circle for both of the ingredients to make one. EDIT: So, you'd need to find two more blade parts.

It's been a while since I've played the game, but doesn't the red on the blade part signal that there isn't enough? IIRC, you need four parts to fill the circle for both of the ingredients to make one.

If you don't have the part in question, the item symbol would be shaded in grey. If you do have it, the symbol is highlighted in full white.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

I think you're getting terms confused here. You're currently highlighting the SHIV category on the left. The part on the right tells you that you need you collect more BLADE scraps in order to craft the SHIV.

The little scissors symbol on the right has a gray pie chart in the middle. In your picture, it's only filled halfway. When you scavange items, you're only picking up fractions of a whole. So gather more BLADE material to fill up the circle in order to craft an extra SHIV.

I think you're getting terms confused here. You're currently highlighting the SHIV category on the left. The part on the right tells you that you need you collect more BLADE scraps in order to craft the SHIV.

The little scissors symbol on the right has a gray pie chart in the middle. In your picture, it's only filled halfway. When you scavange items, you're only picking up fractions of a whole. So gather more BLADE material to fill up the circle in order to craft an extra SHIV.
Thanks for the clarification, I assume the amount of blade parts required varies depending on the difficulty level? I'm playing on Grounded mode and I don't recall needing multiple blades on my easier playthroughs.

Thanks for the help!

Melchiah

Thanks for the clarification, I assume the amount of blade parts required varies depending on the difficulty level? I'm playing on Grounded mode and I don't recall needing multiple blades on my easier playthroughs.

Thanks for the help!

I've played the game through twice on normal, and to my recollection you need four blade parts for one shiv. The harder difficulties just give them you less often.

I've played the game through twice on normal, and to my recollection you need four blade parts for one shiv. The harder difficulties just give them you less often.
Perhaps I'm remembering things wrong, it's been a while. I suppose I'll experiment later and see what the deal is.

Moozo

So, just bought a second hand copy of this since I lost my own disc. It arrived and it's a Portuguese copy. Apparently, my original (UK) saves aren't compatible with it.

They're not showing in the save game load screen and they're listed separately in Application Saved Data. Is this never going to work or am I doing something wrong? Find that odd as they're both Europe...

Going to be playing this for the first time in the next week or two. Should I use the 30 fps lock or no? I don't mind 30fps games, especially locked. I would probably appreciate the better shadow quality, though if it isn't noticeable...

Going to be playing this for the first time in the next week or two. Should I use the 30 fps lock or no? I don't mind 30fps games, especially locked. I would probably appreciate the better shadow quality, though if it isn't noticeable...

No, unlocked and enjoy it the shadows really are only noticeable in photomode or if you stand around.

Melchiah

Don't get me wrong, 10/10 game for me but I was expecting some sort of next level sad ending/event to happen..

I don't think it's that sad, at least when compared to something like Silent Hill 2, but I do think it was an emotional ending. I'm glad they didn't go with one of them dying, as that was what I was expecting as well.

Meh, I hadn't played this game for over a year, today I finally wanted to play the dlc as I needed space on the hdd but it isn't happening.
Game hangs at the picture of ellie and joel a couple seconds after starting it while still playing the OS music. PS4 can't be turned off, have to unplug the power cable.
I saw a lot of other people are having this issue doing a quick search, seemed to occur for some of us after a certain firmware update.
Was advised to delete game, rebuild database and redownload 40 gig, it 'd better work after doing that, I really want to play Left Behind. :(

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is the RGB range still totally fucked up in this game? I know my settings are correct and certain sections are way overly washed out. I can set the tv to limited and ps4 to RGB Full and it fixes the brightness issues but crushes blacks. TV on full and PS4 on full results in it being washed out. Same with limited & limited.

Couldn't find anywhere else to post this. I decided to fire up some multiplayer after a few months and there is absolutely nothing when I search for a game. Left it searching for about 2o minutes, restarted a few times and nothing. Is this a common thing now? community dead perhaps?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Couldn't find anywhere else to post this. I decided to fire up some multiplayer after a few months and there is absolutely nothing when I search for a game. Left it searching for about 2o minutes, restarted a few times and nothing. Is this a common thing now? community dead perhaps?

It's dead Jim.

Alastor3

Sorry for bumping an old thread but wanted to ask a question without making a new thread. I just got a PS4 and my friend lend me his copy of this game. I heard there is a realistic mode where the game is much more difficult but much more reward. I was thinking of doing a normal playthrough and go for the realistic approach later but since im a sucker for hard mode and i might know there the ennemies will be, I wonder if I should just do the game ''realistic'' (don't know the real name for the mode) first.

Thanks!

sphinx

the piano man
the save system in this game confuses me a lot.

why is there an option to save manually in the menu when the game isn't going to save anyway at the point I am doing it (it will go to the last checkpoint) AND the game will autosave anyway exactly at all checkpoints?

why??

ascii42

why is there an option to save manually in the menu when the game isn't going to save anyway at the point I am doing it (it will go to the last checkpoint) AND the game will autosave anyway exactly at all checkpoints?

why??
I can't remember, but maybe it saves progress in other things, like conversations, collectibles, and upgrades?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

why??
Because there are multiple save slots. Manually saving lets you pick a different one.

sphinx

the piano man
thanks for the replies!

regarding the multiplayer, I really don't want to interact with random people online.

but I was told is 4 vs 4. so if I can get a party of four with my friends, can I be in that team and will I be able to unlock trophies with that?

When this game was released originally on the PS3 I picked it up Day 1 and promptly traded it back in. I HATED it, I didn't care for the stealth focused gameplay. I even restarted it on the easy difficulty to just hopefully plow through for the story. I still didn't care for it.

I decided to give it another shot since the remastered version on the PS4 was only $20 with the DLC. I'm absolutely loving the game now. Not that I'm very far into it, maybe 3-4 hours, but those 3-4 hours have been great. I'm assuming my gaming tastes have changed since the original release. I'm still not the biggest fan of stealth, but I think this game is changing my mind about it.

I think I'm around Chapter 3,
just reached the Capitol Building and Tes reveleaed she's infected
. I've struggled a bit with the couple larger encounters so far so any tips or tricks will always be appreciated. Currently playing on the normal difficulty.

Oh, and switching between 30fps and 60fps, the difference is quite staggering. Coming off of playing Resident Evil 4 on the PS4 with it being 60fps, and now TLOU being 60fps, I'm getting spoiled.

Melchiah

When this game was released originally on the PS3 I picked it up Day 1 and promptly traded it back in. I HATED it, I didn't care for the stealth focused gameplay. I even restarted it on the easy difficulty to just hopefully plow through for the story. I still didn't care for it.

I decided to give it another shot since the remastered version on the PS4 was only $20 with the DLC. I'm absolutely loving the game now. Not that I'm very far into it, maybe 3-4 hours, but those 3-4 hours have been great. I'm assuming my gaming tastes have changed since the original release. I'm still not the biggest fan of stealth, but I think this game is changing my mind about it.

I think I'm around Chapter 3,
just reached the Capitol Building and Tes reveleaed she's infected
. I've struggled a bit with the couple larger encounters so far so any tips or tricks will always be appreciated. Currently playing on the normal difficulty.

Oh, and switching between 30fps and 60fps, the difference is quite staggering. Coming off of playing Resident Evil 4 on the PS4 with it being 60fps, and now TLOU being 60fps, I'm getting spoiled.

It's going to get even better from there on. The escape from the military forces is the part what I liked the least.

ty_hot

This game is a masterpiece. I am playing it for the first time on the ps4 (my ps3 died before uncharted 3 was released) and I love it.

I don't like this zombie stuff usually, but in this game it is fine, you can blow their heads but as you never have a lot of supply you end up trying to sneak through them silently. Then the combats that happen are also very good, if you don't pay attention you end up getting flanked. I don't feel like stupid searching every room for supplies because... Well, I need them. And then I also find those firefly pendants etc... Story is great, characters too. You create a relationship with them, you get 'sad/angry' with some things because you are very immersed. Also, the notes that you found around are nice, bring some nice stories and makes you think how would it be if it really happened, how would you act, who would you trust, etc. They paid attention to every single detail in the game.

I didn't finish the campaign yet but I tried to online and it is also great. Unique in its own way. Lived how they force you to play hiding and silently. One moment you think you are safe, you make one noise: BOOM you are surrounded and you are lucky if you can kill at least one of them (you will die, no matter what). I wanted to buy R6 Siege for a more tactical MP but this one will do for now.

10/10 so far.

ty_hot

Do players in higher levels online have advantage against new ones? I played a little of online (1week in the game) and everybody is level 200+, and its fucking hard to kill them. Do they start with better guns and stuff like that?

Playing this for the 1st time right now (as my first game on the PS4P) and not feeling it just yet. I'm about 2h into the game I think and it feels a little shallow on the gameplay side. Not even easy because I found the first time you get exposed to a group of zombies in the skyscraper pretty challenging and fun to figure out, but somehow kinda like on rails. I recall playing Dying Light last year and TLOU is nowhere near as good so far. I don't care about video game stories that much and this game seems to offer little more than that. I hope it gets better. I honestly want less talking and more gameplay.

DonMigs85

Playing this for the 1st time right now (as my first game on the PS4P) and not feeling it just yet. I'm about 2h into the game I think and it feels a little shallow on the gameplay side. Not even easy because I found the first time you get exposed to a group of zombies in the skyscraper pretty challenging and fun to figure out, but somehow kinda like on rails. I recall playing Dying Light last year and TLOU is nowhere near as good so far. I don't care about video game stories that much and this game seems to offer little more than that. I hope it gets better. I honestly want less talking and more gameplay.

The story and acting is one of the best parts of this game. You have my pity.
Anyway it gets better later on, and you can replay it on Grounded.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

The gameplay really does get better in later parts, especially if you're playing on Survivor or Grounded (not recommended for first playthrough though). Even if you're not interested in the story, I'd give it a shot either way because that's another aspect that gets better as it goes on.

I hope you find more to like about the game as you continue playing.

Melchiah

And they're nowhere near the same kind of games. Personally, I found Dying Light disappointing based on the demo. Exploring areas is gameplay as well, and it's something I find more enjoyable than constant combat. In fact, the longest combat sequences in TLOU are my least favorite parts of the game. The 2nd chapter is one of the dullest ones, and it gets really going in the 4th chapter. If you don't care about the story, or the characters, I don't think it's really the best kind of game for you.

Deku Tree

Naughty Dog's games are called "walking simulators" for a reason. TLOU and UC are not Mario brothers. If you are not deeply enjoying the story telling atmosphere and the and the visuals then your not enjoying the main thing that attract most people to Naughty Dog games. The gameplay does get better later on but your not gonna get a lot "less talking and more gameplay".

Also if you read a lot of stuff online then you'll notice that the "gameplay" is the thing that people most often complain about in Naughty Dog's games more than other aspects of the games.

Thanks everyone. I made some progress and I actually find those rooms full of zombies pretty challenging and rewarding. I'm definitely enjoying it right now - I guess I just fail(ed) to see what exactly the reason for the game's excellent reputation was because it does indeed feel like a walking simulator sometimes.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Thanks everyone. I made some progress and I actually find those rooms full of zombies pretty challenging and rewarding. I'm definitely enjoying it right now - I guess I just fail(ed) to see what exactly the reason for the game's excellent reputation was because it does indeed feel like a walking simulator sometimes.

Yeah that's early hours. You'll get your share of interesting and big encounters.

Playing TLOU on Survivor (and Grounded after that) gave me even more appreciation of TLOU. When you let the survival elements really kick in, it becomes a very rewarding experience.

Melchiah

Naughty Dog's games are called "walking simulators" for a reason. TLOU and UC are not Mario brothers. If you are not deeply enjoying the story telling atmosphere and the and the visuals then your not enjoying the main thing that attract most people to Naughty Dog games. The gameplay does get better later on but your not gonna get a lot "less talking and more gameplay".

Also if you read a lot of stuff online then you'll notice that the "gameplay" is the thing that people most often complain about in Naughty Dog's games more than other aspects of the games.

Thank the Fairy Godmother for that, as I can't stand platformers, including Naughty Dog's own.

And again, exploring is gameplay, or what else were you doing between the platforming in the Tomb Raiders of old? That's something people have been praising, including the encounters on harder difficulty levels.

Finally got to play The Last of Us (as well as my first Naughty Dog game) after three years of waiting and jesus, what a game. I felt that the beginning bit was slow, but once Tess was gone and the game took off, I just couldn't stop playing. Unfortunately, I had the ending spoiled for me a couple years ago, but it all still hit hard. Just fantastic overall and I hope the sequel lives up to it. Speaking of which, I should go watch the trailer.

Icolin

Banned
Just finished replaying it for the first time since it launched on PS3; while with some games I may dislike it more the second time, I throughly enjoyed replaying it, maybe even more than the first time I played it. It's a rarity that I can replay a game and like even more the second time, so I feel fully confident is saying that this game is an absolute masterpiece and definitely in my top 5 games of all time.

The stealth got a little tedious at times, but the gameplay is still very serviceable, and all in all the good outweighs the bad. Definitely looking forward to TLOU2 now.

Top Bottom